Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is your favourite Jane Austen male character?

Default Who is your favourite Jane Austen male character?

Among all the male characters in Jane Austen's novels, who is your favourite?
    There are too many male characters to list in a poll, which only allows 10 options. The poll is enough to list all the heroes (lead male characters) only in Jane Austen's 6 major novels but there are also many interesting supporting characters I don't want to leave out. So, u just name the one u like. It is preferable if u give the reason for your choice, but this is optional.

To refresh your memories, here are the list of characters I manage to find from character lists found in the net.

Pride & Prejudice
    Charles Bingley
    Fitzwilliam Darcy
    William Collins
    George Wickham
    Colonel Fitzwilliam
    Edward Gardiner
    Mr. Bennet

Sense & Sensibility
    John Dashwood
    Henry Dashwood
    Edward Ferrars
    Robert Ferrars
    Sir John Middleton
    Col. Christopher Brandon
    John Willoughby
    Thomas Palmer

Emma
    George Knightley
    Mr. Woodhouse
    Frank Churchill
    Mr. Weston
    Mr. Elton
    Robert Martin
    John Knightley
    Colonel Campbell
    Mr. Cloe

Northanger Abbey
    Henry Tilney
    General Tilney
    Captain Frederick Tilney
    John Thorpe
    James Morland
    Mr. Allen
    Mr. Morland

Mansfield Park
    Sir Thomas Bertram
    Edmund Bertram
    Tom Bertram
    Henry Crawford
    William Price
    Mr. Rushworth
    Mr. Yates

Persuasion
    Captain Frederick Wentworth
    Sir Walter Elliot
    William Elliot
    Charles Musgrove
    Mr. Musgrove
    Charles Hayter
    Captain Benwick
    Admiral Croft
    Captain Harville

You can also name characters in Jane's juvernalia collection in if u like those the most.
    Last edited by kidd; 01-02-06 at 10:46 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

mr collins wooooohooooooo
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Stuck in a place between Heaven and Hell!

My favourite is George Knightley with Fitzwilliam Darcy coming in close second!
    Cheers!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR
    mr collins wooooohooooooo
    This is an expected choice.
    Yeah, he is a funny character.

Pride & Prejudice - Fitzwilliam Darcy and Mr. Bennet

Sense & Sensibility - John Willoughby

Emma - George Knightley

Mansfield Park - Edmund Bertram
    Spring Summer Autumn Winter.
    Pair ducks nest fly together.
    Clemencies. Summer life, feather winter white.
    Green meadow in spring, before the autumn bite.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

darcy...hands down.

he surpasses all protagonists, including jin yong's characters. muahhhh....and i hate elizabeth bennet because only she has his heart... come to me darcy! i'll be your honey any day!

Mr Darcy

fitz darcyyy!!

why's he hiding in there? perve.

If I wanted to be cliched I'd say Darcy.

BUT: P&P: Colonel Fitzwilliam (probablly because I read too much fanfiction and he's a great character for fanfiction. a lot to be discovered)
    S&S: Edward Ferrrars
    Persuasion: Frederick Wentworth
    Emma: George Knightley
    Northanger: James Morland
    Havne't read Mansfield Park though I own a copy.

If we go by screen adaptations then definitely Darcy because Colin Firth is hot.

BUT I'd pick George Knightley. I think that P&P lost all it had (and it didn't have much to begin with except long, mindless passages on the intricacies of upper-middle class courting) thanks to fan girls going on and on about "OMG I WANT MY OWN MR. DARCY." Besides Darcy is incredibly overrated. I don't care what happened to him, but anyone who stands right next to me and says I'm not pretty enough to dance with...
    Last edited by Sparky; 05-13-08 at 05:31 PM.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

I'd actually say Mr Bingley over Mr Darcy, because I really like confident (and slightly cocky) guys. To be honest, other than Mr Darcy's serious nature and his aloof manner (and possibly devastatingly good looks), I can't think of what else is so extremely attractive about him compared to Mr Bingley (who I remember is mildly attractive?). So, I'd say Mr Bingley.
    I am human and I need to be loved just like everybody else does.

Im sorry Bingley is NOT confidant. if he were, he would never had been persuaded by Darcy that Jane doesn't love him and he'd come back to Herford and save everyone all the heartbreak. Bingley is explicitly described as being too pliable and depends more on Darcy's judgement than his own. he listens to Darcy because he doesn't trust his own judgement on things. Darcy managed to easily convince him that Jane doesn't love him because he's not confidant enough to trust his own perception of what Jane's feelings are.

I was also a little surprised by Digitalis's description of Bingley. For a moment, I thought s/he has mistaken Darcy for Bingley. Bingley is the friendliest and most uncocky guy in the book. Darcy is closer to the description of 'confidence (slightly cocky)'.
    Last edited by kidd; 12-31-06 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    I was also a little surprised by Digitalis description of Bingley. For a moment, I thought s/he has mistaken Darcy for Bingley. Bingley is the friendliest and most uncocky guy in the book. Darcy is closer to the description of 'confidence (slightly cocky)'.
    Haha, I must be a little rusty with my profiles of the guys in P&P after not reading it for ages.
    I am human and I need to be loved just like everybody else does.

bingley is totally unassuming and not what I'd call cocky. Now, Col Fitzwilliam on the other hand, I can imagine with the description confident and cocky. but his character isnt that developed in the book and that may just be a result of fanfiction.

Darcy is supposed to be devastatingly handsome. :swoon: though with an unfortunate name like Fitzwilliam... I mean, what do people call him? I can't imagine Elizabeth calling him by his full name. William makes me think of Mr Collins... Though i guess it's tradition and everything in those days to name the first son after the mother's maiden name. Though I cant imagine Darcy and Lizzy having a son named Bennet.

Quote Originally Posted by hmschocolate
    Darcy is supposed to be devastatingly handsome. :swoon:
    You have to watch the Colin Firth version of Mr. Darcy...whoever played Darcy in the Keira Knightley movie was not good-looking enough! And Keira Knightley is too pretty, I guess, to play Elizabeth, who is not supposed to be the prettiest of her sisters, and instead admired for her intelligence. But, I digress.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Among all the male characters in Jane Austen's novels, who is your favourite?
    Mr bennet, definitely.... i wouldnt say i love him but i like his wit, sarcasm and quote..... come close, well, almost.... should be henry tilney. unromantic and unheroic yes, but what impresses me is he goes against his father and come after the girl...!!! while sir john m. is my type of happy go friendly guy... too bad he is a bit old....
    Last edited by sheraldine; 01-03-07 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sheraldine
    Mr bennet, definitely.... i wouldnt say i love him but i like his wit, sarcasm and quote..... come close, well, almost.... should be henry tilney. unromantic and unheroic yes, but what impresses me is he goes against his father and come after the girl...!!! while sir john m. is my type of happy go friendly guy... too bad he is a bit old....
    Henry Tilney seems like a younger version of Mr.Bennet to me , albeit more responsible. When I first read Northanger Abbey, I thought Tilney was such a nice sweet guy who didn't mind talking about feminine stuff like muslin and fashion. But when I reread the book recently, I saw a totally different Tilney. He's still a nice guy, but he was actually teasing the lady (forgot her name) when he discussed muslin with her. He often laughs at people's folly but he did it with so much wit that even the person he's teasing didn't realise he was doing so.

I also like Tilney. He's unromantic, but I won't say he's unheroic. There's no occasion in the book for him to show much heroism. But I think he's pretty heroic to go against his father and go after Catherine. He really couldn't do anything when Catherine's parents insisted on parental consent from Tilney Senior before agreeing to the marriage proposal. Eloping will be a very insensible thing to do.
    I also like the fact that he is a clergyman (and a responsible one). Seeing how witty he is, I can guess his sermon won't be boring.

Btw, do u know that Henry Tilney has a fansite? Here it is - http://tilneysandtrapdoors.com/
    Last edited by kidd; 01-03-07 at 02:21 AM.

Henry Tilney seems like a younger version of Mr.Bennet to me , albeit more responsible. When I first read Northanger Abbey, I thought Tilney was such a nice sweet guy who didn't mind talking about feminine stuff like muslin and fashion. But when I reread the book recently, I saw a totally different Tilney. He's still a nice guy, but he was actually teasing the lady (forgot her name) when he discussed muslin with her. He often laughs at people's folly but he did it with so much wit that even the person he's teasing didn't realise he was doing so.

I also like Tilney. He's unromantic, but I won't say he's unheroic. There's no occasion in the book for him to show much heroism. But I think he's pretty heroic to go against his father and go after Catherine. He really couldn't do anything when Catherine's parents insisted on parental consent from Tilney Senior before agreeing to the marriage proposal. Eloping will be a very insensible thing to do.
    I also like the fact that he is a clergyman (and a responsible one). Seeing how witty he is, I can guess his sermon won't be boring.

Btw, do u know that Henry Tilney has a fansite? Here it is - http://tilneysandtrapdoors.com/
    henry also a steady guy.... steadier than edmund b of m.park and much more nicer than darcy... ok ok, darcy is not bad and i sorta like him in the end but darcy shouldnt be soooooo proud and arrogant in the FIRST place! back to henry, he is also awfully jealous in the sweetest way when john t kept pestering out heroine for the dance.... as for him being a clergyman, well austen didnt really write all that but the fact he is young and has independant living is something not many have.... darcy is rich, yes due to inheritance while edmund is from upper class family... the only thing i found lacking is their so little time together...

btw, thanx for the site... i look up when i have more time to browse....

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    You have to watch the Colin Firth version of Mr. Darcy...whoever played Darcy in the Keira Knightley movie was not good-looking enough! And Keira Knightley is too pretty, I guess, to play Elizabeth, who is not supposed to be the prettiest of her sisters, and instead admired for her intelligence. But, I digress.
    Yeah, I love the Colin Firth version more since it's more true to the book. Keira is realy pretty, though Lizzie is supposed to be the second prettiest. and Rosamund Pike who plays Jane is beautiful as well. though I dont think Mary was nearly as plain enough in the Keira version, and Lydia and Catherine should be prettier in the Firth version. but thats not the point of this thread is it?