Thread: Xie Yanke - "Xia Ke Xing"

Default Xie Yanke - "Xia Ke Xing"

In the novel, Xia Ke Xing, there is this martial arts expert who taught SPT his skills. He also know Tan Chi Shen Tong (Not sure I spell correctly). Is he of the Greats level? Since he lost to Bei Dai Fu, is BDF above the Greats level?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Xi Men Chui Xue
    In the novel, Xia Ke Xing, there is this martial arts expert who taught SPT his skills. He also know Tan Chi Shen Tong (Not sure I spell correctly). Is he of the Greats level? Since he lost to Bei Dai Fu, is BDF above the Greats level?

Thanks.
    Are you referring to Xie Yanke? Here's my humble opinion though.

He only taught Shi Potian internal cultivation techniques in a messed-up way, hoping that Shi Potian would die from fire deviation.

Xie Yanke was noticably better (?) than Bei Haishi towards the end of the novel, but I wouldn't rate him among the level of Greats.

Knowing how to execute Divine Flicking Fingers or similiar techniques doesn't automatically qualify a martial artist as a ROCH Great. Yang Xiao in HSDS was able to execute a technique similiar to Divine Flicking Fingers to smash the heads of several eagles circling around the injured Yin Liting. When Yang Guo was first taught the Divine Flicking Fingers by Huang Yaoshi, he wasn't at the level of ROCH Greats yet.

Yang Xiao wasn't any better that the Xuanming Elders, who in turn, were several notches below Zhang Wuji. In HSDS, only Zhang Wuji and Zhang San Feng are considered to be of the ROCH Greats level. I personally don't rate Xie Yanke's abilities as anything above Yang Xiao. In fact, almost everyone outside of Gallantry Island were afraid of the Long and Mu Island Masters' disciples.

Long and Mu Masters were approximately as good as ROCH Greats levels, not counting GJ and YG.

Both Xie Yanke and Physician Bei probably wouldn't even qualify among the top 20 martial artists in Ode To Gallantry, let alone among the ROCH Greats.
    Last edited by FruityPunch; 01-10-06 at 05:58 AM.
    "By nature, men are nearly alike; by practice, they get to be wide apart."

Thanks, FruityPunch!

Actually I think Xie Yanke was better than Bei Haishi even at the start of the novel. When they first met on the peak that XYK made his home, XYK had seriously depleted his inner strength after practicing his "Green Pine Palm" so he was very wary of BHS and his group from the Long Joy Union.

Consensus that Xie Yan Ke weaker than greats, but hard to gauge how much weaker.

The island leader's martial arts level are even harder to gauge.