Thread: Connections among these Gu Long novels?

Default Connections among these Gu Long novels?

What connections do the storylines of the following Gu Long stories have with each other, and what is the order of their continuity?

LITTLE LEE FLYING DAGGER SAGA (Lee Chum Foon, Ah Fei)

CURVED SABRE SAGA (Ding Pang)

THIRD YOUNG MASTER'S SWORD SAGA (Tse Hiu Fung)

THE TWINS SAGA (Fa Mo Keut, Little Fish)

LUK SIU FUNG SAGA (Luk Siu Fung, Sai Mun Chui Sheut)

CHOR LAU HEUNG SAGA (Chor Lau Heung, Wu Teet Fa)

I know there are some connections among the first three stories I named (although I don't know specifically what those connections are). What about all six of these stories?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    What connections do the storylines of the following Gu Long stories have with each other, and what is the order of their continuity?

LITTLE LEE FLYING DAGGER SAGA (Lee Chum Foon, Ah Fei)

CURVED SABRE SAGA (Ding Pang)

THIRD YOUNG MASTER'S SWORD SAGA (Tse Hiu Fung)

THE TWINS SAGA (Fa Mo Keut, Little Fish)

LUK SIU FUNG SAGA (Luk Siu Fung, Sai Mun Chui Sheut)

CHOR LAU HEUNG SAGA (Chor Lau Heung, Wu Teet Fa)

I know there are some connections among the first three stories I named (although I don't know specifically what those connections are). What about all six of these stories?
    Well, Long Xiao Yun's female descendant was one of Qing Qing's maids in CURVED SABRE SAGA, and knew the skill of Little Lee's Flying Dagger, but not as great. Ding Pang also met with an older version of Xie Xiao Feng, who was the young hero in THIRD YOUNG MASTER'S SWORD SAGA.

The Lee family had a copy of a manual made by Wang Lian Hua who was Shen Lang's friend from WU LIN WAI SHI, and there have also been connections assumed between Shen Lang and Ah Fei and Bai Fei Fei.

So my guess is that WU LIN WAI SHI prceeded everything, then it went onto LITTLE LEE'S FLYING DAGGER about 20-30 years later, then YOUNG THIRD MASTER'S SWORD hundreds of years later, and then after 20 years, CURVED SABRE SAGA.

But YOUNG THIRD MASTER'S SWORD is also linked to the very strange NU JIAN KUANG HUA, which had half its book identical to CURVED SABRE and should be occuring about the same time, so I have omitted it from the timeline.

I had always thought the LSF and CLH series were quite separate from the rest (e.g. The Maiden Sword of Yue is quite distiant from other JY stories). I forgot the connection, but CLH is connected to the BIF FLAG HERO or something like that.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

The Night Emperor is supposed to be CLH's sifu. Tit Jung Tong is supposed to be Wu Tit Faa's sifu.

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis
    LITTLE LEE'S FLYING DAGGER about 20-30 years later, then YOUNG THIRD MASTER'S SWORD hundreds of years later, and then after 20 years, CURVED SABRE SAGA.
    Hundreds of years between LITTLE LEE'S FLYING DAGGER and YOUNG MASTER'S THIRD SWORD? That's a surprise. I would have thought the two stories would only have been a generation or two apart.

Hundreds of years between LITTLE LEE'S FLYING DAGGER and YOUNG MASTER'S THIRD SWORD? That's a surprise. I would have thought the two stories would only have been a generation or two apart.
    Well, they had to fit in all BORDERTOWN WANDERER series which started about 20 years later, and then you had to fit in FLYING DAGGER SEEING FLYING DAGGER, which was even more later which tackled the descendants of Lee Chum Foon and Shang Goon Gum Hong.

Now the Long descendant in CURVED MOON SABRE was like 5 or 6 generations after the time, so roughly 100-200 years later, so was YOUNG THIRD MASTER's SWORD.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis
    Now the Long descendant in CURVED MOON SABRE was like 5 or 6 generations after the time, so roughly 100-200 years later, so was YOUNG THIRD MASTER's SWORD.
    Several hundred years is a bit too much, I think. The girl in Full Moon, Curved Sabre was either little Long XiaoWan's granddaughter or great-granddaughter. And The Third Master's Sword took place about 30 years earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerWong
    Several hundred years is a bit too much, I think. The girl in Full Moon, Curved Sabre was either little Long XiaoWan's granddaughter or great-granddaughter. And The Third Master's Sword took place about 30 years earlier.
    I figured it'd take a Gu Long question to draw you out of hiding. Good to hear from you.

I figured it'd take a Gu Long question to draw you out of hiding. Good to hear from you.
    Hehe, still lurking. Unfortunately, ran out of GL books to read.

Gu Long likes to have his more famous characters referred to in some of his later stories, even if the stories themselves have no connection. But far's I know the Twins Saga doesn't seem to contain any reference to any other work nor was it referenced by such.
    林家有女玉啄成
    嫣然巧笑艳冠人
    纤纤起舞随风动
    疑似飞燕又重生

Quote Originally Posted by Siven
    Gu Long likes to have his more famous characters referred to in some of his later stories, even if the stories themselves have no connection. But far's I know the Twins Saga doesn't seem to contain any reference to any other work nor was it referenced by such.
    Night emperor was referenced in twins, just in a one liner though.
    Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A B A Start

Quote Originally Posted by Siven
    Yan NanTian was referenced in "Seven Weapons: The Fist", the Floral Palace Princesses were referenced in "Righteous Blood Cleansing the Silver Spear", and I vaguely recall the Twins themselves mentioned in a story but can't remamber exactly which. Also, in some editions of "The Legendary Twins", a number of characters from other GL novels are mentioned including the Night Emperor and Shen Lang.

It is rare to find a GL novel that does not have some sort of connection to others.

It is rare to find a GL novel that does not have some sort of connection to others.
    Did LUK SIU FUNG characters get mentioned outside of the LUK SIU FUNG novels?

Did LUK SIU FUNG characters get mentioned outside of the LUK SIU FUNG novels?
    Hmm, I remember this being discussed a few times before, although I'm not sure which thread anymore... Yes, Luk Siu Fung characters are mentioned in quite a number of stories including "Land of Condors", "CLH - Midnight Orchid", and "White Jade Tiger".

Hmm, I remember this being discussed a few times before, although I'm not sure which thread anymore... Yes, Luk Siu Fung characters are mentioned in quite a number of stories including "Land of Condors", "CLH - Midnight Orchid", and "White Jade Tiger".
    Could you part with some details, Tiger? I kind of vaguely remember this too, but I also think I keep remembering that the references to LUK SIU FUNG are always limited to periphery characters such as See Hung Jak Sing...and we never hear about the heavyweights such as Sai Mun Chui Sheut or Luk Siu Fung himself.

Could you part with some details, Tiger? I kind of vaguely remember this too, but I also think I keep remembering that the references to LUK SIU FUNG are always limited to periphery characters such as See Hung Jak Sing...and we never hear about the heavyweights such as Sai Mun Chui Sheut or Luk Siu Fung himself.
    Most of the references were in regards to how great a swordsman Sai Mun Chui Sheut was. "Land of Condors" devoted a portion of a chapter analyzing him as well as another famous GL swordman, Yut Diem Hung from the Chor Lau Hearn series. Sai Mun Chui Sheut's and Luk Siu Fung's names (usually the former) come up now and again when referring to legendary heroes.

I guess the most tangible cross-references took place in "White Jade Tiger" where you had the student of See Hung Jak Sing. Plus they talked about some battle between Luk Siu Fung's son and Sai Mun Chui Sheut's student, which ended in mutual deaths, I think.... (someone whose read it more recently can correct me on any details as it's been a while, or I can try looking it up at some point when I get the time) .. don't think they mentioned the how and why of it.

I'm rather surprised that Shimen Chui Shue and Zhong Yuan Yi Dian Hong were mentioned in the same breath. I was under the impression that Yi Dian Hong was far lesser of a swordsman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen
    I'm rather surprised that Shimen Chui Shue and Zhong Yuan Yi Dian Hong were mentioned in the same breath. I was under the impression that Yi Dian Hong was far lesser of a swordsman.
    Yes, Yi Dian Hong is the lesser swordsman. That was mentioned as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen
    True, but don't forget that in the same way, in Duke of Mount Deer, people mentioned Dugu Qiubai and Linghu Chong as legendary swordsmen from the past. Most people seem to agree that Linghu Chong is no match for Master Dugu.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」