Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Night Banquet

Post The Night Banquet

Didn't see a thread about this movie, so thought I'd start one.

It's directed by Feng Xiao Gang, one of the most popular moviemakers in mainland China. His previous films include A World Without Thieves with Andy Lau. The current film has just finished principle photography. Post production is expected to take five months, involving considerable CG work. Even though it's the director's first period work it has generated a great deal of international attention, due to the success of his previous films and the stellar cast. General release is planned for October, with international debut aimed possibly for the Toronto Film Festival. Below is a rough synopsis:

At the end of the Tang dynasty warlords once again divide the country into feudal kingdoms, and proclaim themselves kings and emporers. The emporer of one of these kingdoms dies suddenly, and his brother (Ge You, a Feng regular) ascends to the throne. Impiously he takes the widowed, beautiful young empress (Zhang Zi Yi) for himself. Although by rites she is the stepmother of the dead emperor's son, the prince regent (Daniel Wu), the prince and her grew up together as children and would have married if she had not been selected as the empress. The prince is not an ambitious man, prefering instead the life of an artist, but he suspects that his uncle, the new emperor, may have had a hand in his father's death. The desire for revenge combined with the empress's wish for him to unseat his uncle and become emperor himself thrusts him on a dangerous road of rebellion and retribution.

Unbeknownst to the prince and his uncle, a powerful court official has also long coveted the throne and the empress. He too schemes to become the emporer. His daughter (Zhou Xun) however loves the prince, and seeks to help him against the wishes of her clan. The official's son (Huang Xiao Ming, the new Yang Guo in ROCH05) has also been thrown into the chaotic struggle, to protect his naive sister and the honor of his family.
    林家有女玉啄成
    嫣然巧笑艳冠人
    纤纤起舞随风动
    疑似飞燕又重生

so, Huang Xiao Ming and Zhou Xun are acting as siblings? that's interesting.
    btw, I think there's no posts for this thread yet because it would only be out in Oct..so now its still too early to talk about it.

I hope HXM has considerable airtime in Ye Yan, not just someone who appears on and off for ten min here and there. He really should have more opportunities in international films. He has lots of potential IMO, and should be in the league of international stars.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertari
    I hope HXM has considerable airtime in Ye Yan, not just someone who appears on and off for ten min here and there. He really should have more opportunities in international films. He has lots of potential IMO, and should be in the league of international stars.
    I hope so too.. would be quite meaningless if he only appears like that..
    . I am a little worried though. Chaule said his acting was at his worse when he acted in this HK movie with Samo Hung. His problem of overacting was very obvious. she was thinking that maybe he was not used to how movies are filmed that's why. don't know whether it will happen here again. I hope not.

There is a lot of interest in this movie and promos are already seen though its only sloted for screening in Sep. I wonder why they are promoting it so early...

Latest English trailer of the banquet, courtesy of ZZY's site

http://www.helloziyi.us/Movies/night-banquet.htm

I keep thinking that the whole 2 hr or so of the movie will be on the banquet itself but the trailer seems otherwise.

Trailer at ziyi's site got some problem, you may wish to go to the sina site to watch instead.

http://ent.sina.com.cn/m/c/2006-05-19/11361086836.html

I'm soooo looking forward to seeing this. $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://csc.ziyi.org/smilies/popcorn.gif')
    Zhang Ziyi CSC: news, biography, gallery, filmography, forums, more...

Yea, I saw the previews on karazen, looks pretty good. The masks have symbolic meaning def. Glad that more mainland actors and actress's that are famous are moving into the movies made for westerners.

Daniel Wu will be in Singapore tomorrow, 14 Sep for the premiere of the Banquet and ZZY is not able to make it due to Visa problems.

Default Toronto Film Festival

Does anyone know if anyone else is going to TIFF (Toronto international Film Festival) for the Banquet besides Zhang Zi Yi? If it's only her, I don't feel like spending $20, not that enthusiastic to see her, but if Zhou Xun, Daniel Wu, or Ge You are going, (or any one of them), I'll glady do so haha.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

I just watch this movie today at TGV KLCC.
    SPOILER
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;

The director want to copy the storyline of hamlet plus a shakesperean (sp) tragedy where you know people are just died in the end. What I don't understand when all of the main actor/tress died accept Ziyi, she also got killed before the credit and the THE IDIOT director just finish the film just like that without even letting us know who kill her. Anyone have any idea who kill Ziyi at the end or got any theory?

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertari
    SPOILER
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    he does exactly as you said and have death by knife to his neck by Ziyi

The tagline of this movies:

EVERYBODY DIED IN THE END

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by KyNeS
    Yea, I saw the previews on karazen, looks pretty good. The masks have symbolic meaning def. Glad that more mainland actors and actress's that are famous are moving into the movies made for westerners.
    The mask performance just look weird to me and give me a creep

I hear that Feng has been somewhat perplexed by audience reaction thus far. Supposedly, many audience members have laughed at scenes that weren't meant to be funny. It's been suggested that's so because he's best known for his comedies. But are these scenes really that funny and unintentionally so? If so, do these funny scenes ruin or distract from the rest of the film?

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Crane
    I hear that Feng has been somewhat perplexed by audience reaction thus far. Supposedly, many audience members have laughed at scenes that weren't meant to be funny. It's been suggested that's so because he's best known for his comedies. But are these scenes really that funny and unintentionally so? If so, do these funny scenes ruin or distract from the rest of the film?
    I think maybe this is scene is the pantomime scene at the start of the movies, where the imperial guards kill all those participate in the mask pantomime and the actors just continue their pantomime performance even though getting killed for nothing, which I think is actually funny.

Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    I think maybe this is scene is the pantomime scene at the start of the movies, where the imperial guards kill all those participate in the mask pantomime and the actors just continue their pantomime performance even though getting killed for nothing, which I think is actually funny.
    It's unfortunate if the film begins that way. It would make it less likely for film-goers to take anything afterward seriously.

But overall, what did you think of the film? Out of 5 stars, how many would you give it?

The movie is kind of boring. ZZY gave a performance that was consistent with her past performances. Daniel Wu was not bad but the voice-over for him was kind of deep. HXM, his dad in the show, Ge you and Zhou Xun were pretty good. In all, the whole cast was pretty good.

Yep. It was an okay movie but a bit slow. I like it for the actors performances and the scenery (cinematography) was really nice. If you got money to spare, go and watch it
    be happy

Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    I just watch this movie today at TGV KLCC.
    SPOILER
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;

The director want to copy the storyline of hamlet plus a shakesperean (sp) tragedy where you know people are just died in the end. What I don't understand when all of the main actor/tress died accept Ziyi, she also got killed before the credit and the THE IDIOT director just finish the film just like that without even letting us know who kill her. Anyone have any idea who kill Ziyi at the end or got any theory?
    Mmm, my cousin's theory is that maid of Ziyi's killed her. Mine is that it could have been anyone who had the desire to be the emperor themselves. As in, it was such a chaotic time and so many ppl wanted to be the emperor.

About how much stars to give, I'm at a loss. It has been a very unique and enigmatic viewing experience. I cried and felt that it was such a tragedy that the people of that time were compelled into being who they were, like Ziyi, so ambitious... I lurve the cinematography too! Some of their kungfu moves were very beautiful!
    "Laugh as much as you can." :
    "Follow your heart and intuition. They somehow know what you are going to become. Everything else is secondary." - Steve Jobs.