Thread: Sichuan Tang/四川唐 clan?

Post Sichuan Tang/四川唐 clan?

I was wondering if anyone is knowledgeable on the Sichuan Tang Clan -the clan is well-known for their expertise in the usage of poison. Care to share what you know or heard about them? I wonder what's the origin of their history. They seem so mysterious because at times they are only mentioned but rarely ever making a appearance.

I don't think clan is the right word...and I'm not sure what the chinese character for it is. 四川唐。。。is it 门?And would the english translation clan be fitting or would another be more fitting?

Please Help. Thanks.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    I was wondering if anyone is knowledgeable on the Sichuan Tang Clan -the clan is well-known for their expertise in the usage of poison.
    IIRC, they were known for their Hidden projectiles weapons. Not too sure about poison though.
    Last edited by TaiHan; 01-21-06 at 11:28 PM.

Default Post from Exquisite sword by Athena

I just googled and found Athena's post mentioning it.

TANG WUSHUANG: His nickname is the Unparalleled Old Man. He is the leader of the famous Tang clan of Sichuan province.
    The Tang clan has been famous and respected for their poisonous secretive weaponry for hundreds of years. It is said that their skill in the secretive weaponry is also unmatched in the realm. Tang Wushuang is also a renowned for being the best secretive weapon expert of the realm.
    He is also the leading figure of the Wulin in the Sichuan province.
    Correction....poisonous secretive weaponry not just usage of poison. Heheh

Anyone know more about them?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Wasn't that clan featured in Gu Long's Ming Jian Feng Liu (The Sword and The Exquisiteness)?

The Tang's residence had a cave inside which housed a secretive factory. It was inside where blacksmiths produced their famed spiked bludgeon. Their bludgeons were made from 13 very thin metalic plates. Each plate was smeared with a different type of poison, so that upon contact with the victim's blood, he/she would be incurable.

Their staff worked in shifts, and were divided into departments, each responsible for a section of the overall manufacture. None of them knew anything beyond their job scope, hence nobody would be able to kidnap them and force "commercial secrets" out of them.
    "By nature, men are nearly alike; by practice, they get to be wide apart."

It was also featured in Lu Xiaofeng's the Duel, where the three Tang brothers played a pivotal role in the entire plot. Although we never got to actually see their base and learn too much about their background, we knew they were very good at projectiles, and those projectiles were coated in a deadly poison which only they themselves had the antidote for.

I'm not sure if Gu Long invented the Tang clan, but they were an oft-featured faction, mostly of evil, in his novels. Ever since they've been a stable in contemporary wuxia, much like how often Shaolin or Wudang is invoked.
    林家有女玉啄成
    嫣然巧笑艳冠人
    纤纤起舞随风动
    疑似飞燕又重生

I guess 'clan' is the word with the correct meaning when translating 'Tang(2)' into english but a more literal translation would be 'Hall'.

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    I guess 'clan' is the word with the correct meaning when translating 'Tang(2)' into english but a more literal translation would be 'Hall'.
    Tang refers to the family name of the Tang clan. It's the Tang Sect from Sichuan, hence "Sichuan Tangmen". It's the "Men" which refers to the sect.

At least that's the way it was in the Duel - all three brothers were surnamed Tang.

It could also be translated as House Tang, like in "House of Flying Daggers." The difference between the Tang clan and another sect like Wu Dang would be that it is primarily based on family connection. You had to be related to the extended Tang family to be counted as a member for the most part, whereas open sects recruited anyone.
    林家有女玉啄成
    嫣然巧笑艳冠人
    纤纤起舞随风动
    疑似飞燕又重生