Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Return of the Cuckoo 《澳門街》

Thumbs up Return of the Cuckoo 《澳門街》

Review by spcnet: http://www.spcnet.tv/reviews/review.php?rID=406

I've just started watching this 2000 series and couldn't find a thread on it. Julian's Wen Chu is so cute and sweet. I can't believe what his biological mother did to him when he was a child, though!
    Last edited by triumph2004; 12-30-08 at 07:56 PM.

yes, i certainly agree. poor julian right?
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

Yes, and poor Julian again. It seems that he only realizes his "more than just 'brotherly' love" for Charmaine after Steven has signaled (using the whistle code Julian taught him) his love for her.

This series is really good so far. I just hope it doesn't become draggy like PONR, but then again, this one is only 20 episodes versus PONR's 30. Julian is such a natural actor as he pulls the challenging role of a mute Wen Chu off so well. It's hilarious watching him and Charmaine tease one another. I also like the sub-story involving Michael Tong playing the illegitimate son of Lau Dan.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

i can't quite remember michael here...anyone can refresh my memory?
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

Quote Originally Posted by cherrie
    i can't quite remember michael here...anyone can refresh my memory?
    Michael played Julian's character's best friend since childhood. He's kind of a loner who likes riding his motorcycle and acting out. His mother commit suicide when he was a baby in order to prove that she didn't steal company money and his father (played by Lau Dan) sees him as an illegitimate son. The girl who likes him has a blind mother and is like a female version of him when it comes to attitude. Does that ring a bell?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

You forgot to mention that he likes Kwan Ho for a time-being as well

RotC is a series where I admire Julian's acting the most, since he has to learn body language and he portrayed a mute character so naturally~! But.. the ending sucks.

er, he's the one who likes playing war games? aw, i know now! he ends up with that rich girl his dad likes right?
    cherrie

Quote Originally Posted by arachidonic
    You forgot to mention that he likes Kwan Ho for a time-being as well
    Yeah, that's right. That lucky girl got 3 birthday cakes.

Quote Originally Posted by arachidonic
    RotC is a series where I admire Julian's acting the most, since he has to learn body language and he portrayed a mute character so naturally~! But.. the ending sucks.
    I agree. I've always been a fan of Julian's, but my admiration and respect for him as an actor has grown even more (if that's possible) from watching this series. Some of the other thespians had to learn sign language too and they do a nice job as well.

The ending sucks in which way? or or or a combination? I should probably see for myself. I'm currently on episode 8.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Some pics courtesy of tvb.com:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.tvb.com.cn/photo/tvphoto/photo/medias/2001-12-11_46978.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.tvb.com.cn/photo/tvphoto/photo/medias/2001-12-11_46995.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.tvb.com.cn/photo/tvphoto/photo/medias/2001-12-11_46997.jpg')

More here
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Lady ZG,

I can't believe you just started watching this only now! esp since you are such a huge Julian fan!

This was actually my favouite serial that he acted in until Shades of truth came about recently. He's a very self-sacrificing character in this show.

SPOILERS!!!!

===============
    I thot it was interesting on the comparison made that Wen Chu was Jun Hao's past and Steven Ma's character her future. If the other guy was a rascal or not as good a guy as Wen Chu, it would have been so much easier to choose unfortunately, both guys were equally great!!

One of my favourite scenes was towards the end when Jun Hao approached Wen Chu in a bar (think she was upset with him...forgot the reason for it...) and he sort of ignored her or something like that..then when she saw a cockroach and momentary fogot she was upset with him and shouted out Wen chu ge, I caught the cockroach! and he was still behaving indifferent towards her, she was really upset and ran out of the bar and stood at the pavement crying. Steven Ma's character at that moment (despise feeling upset himself) pointed out to her that the love bet them was not just brother-sisterly love but something more and it seemed to be that moment that Jun Hao realized the truth too. It was a really emotional scene to me.

sigh...i feel like watching this again. maybe, I should consider buying it.
    Last edited by strawberry; 01-26-06 at 01:28 PM.

hm i really like steven's character here. so mature, so understanding. well wen chu gets my sympathy, but steven got my admiration
    cherrie

Quote Originally Posted by cherrie
    hm i really like steven's character here. so mature, so understanding. well wen chu gets my sympathy, but steven got my admiration
    yes, I totally like Steven's character here, he did not pale in comparison to wen Chu at all who is also a nice guy. In fact, I can understand why Wen Chu would want Jun Hao to marry Steven. btw, what's the name of Steven's character here?

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry
    Lady ZG,I can't believe you just started watching this only now! esp since you are such a huge Julian fan!
    Julian is like fine wine...to be enjoyed slowly with each sip.

I'm going to try to avoid spoilers 'til I've watched the whole series.

yes, I totally like Steven's character here, he did not pale in comparison to wen Chu at all who is also a nice guy. In fact, I can understand why Wen Chu would want Jun Hao to marry Steven. btw, what's the name of Steven's character here?
    Steven's character's name is Situ Li Xin. He is a nice guy and I actually think Steven matches up better physically with Charmaine than Julian does. It's just so heartwrenching that Wen Chu has to fall in love with Jun Hao. The scene with Ah Jiao (Jun Hao's mother played by Nancy Sit) trying to send Wen Chu away to work because she could see that he'd fallen for Jun Hao was so emotional. Wen Chu's red teary eyes had me tearing up right along with him as he motioned along these lines: Why do you not want me anymore? What have I done wrong? I promise I won't fall for Jun Hao; I promise. While I understand Ah Jiao only wanting the best for her daughter, she's hurting Wen Chu so much by making it obvious that no matter how kind a person he is, he will never be on the same level as her biological child. She's also indirectly sending him the message that being mute makes him a less worthy person in the pursuit of personal happiness.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    Julian is like fine wine...to be enjoyed slowly with each sip. .

ha ha..i like the way you put it

I'm going to try to avoid spoilers 'til I've watched the whole series.
    Yes, pl do. I have put the spoiler tag largely with you in mind.

Steven's character's name is Situ Li Xin. He is a nice guy and I actually think Steven matches up better physically with Charmaine than Julian does. It's just so heartwrenching that Wen Chu has to fall in love with Jun Hao. The scene with Ah Jiao (Jun Hao's mother played by Nancy Sit) trying to send Wen Chu away to work because she could see that he'd fallen for Jun Hao was so emotional. Wen Chu's red teary eyes had me tearing up right along with him as he motioned along these lines: Why do you not want me anymore? What have I done wrong? I promise I won't fall for Jun Hao; I promise. While I understand Ah Jiao only wanting the best for her daughter, she's hurting Wen Chu so much by making it obvious that no matter how kind a person he is, he will never be on the same level as her biological child. She's also indirectly sending him the message that being mute makes him a less worthy person in the pursuit of personal happiness.
    Agreed. I read that you were on episode 8? But this scene is actually near the ending parts of the serial....you must have been chasing this show....

Agreed. I read that you were on episode 8? But this scene is actually near the ending parts of the serial....you must have been chasing this show....
    That scene happened at the end of episode 8 in the Mandarin version I'm watching which contains 20 episodes total. Perhaps there's a similar scene later on in the series? Maybe you should rewatch it.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

That scene happened at the end of episode 8 in the Mandarin version I'm watching which contains 20 episodes total. Perhaps there's a similar scene later on in the series? Maybe you should rewatch it.
    I really can't rememeber clearly now. I watch this 3 years ago. For me to rewatch it, the best option is to buy the series since renting is not cheap too.
    and I am not sure yet if I should buy this. I rememeber getting so woke up over Junhao and Wen Chu's relationship and esp how Wen Chu was handling the feelings he had for her. nevertheless, this is one of the TVB series that caught my attention and made me want to watch then. I also like Julian's hair in this series. I did not really like his haircut in many of his other serials. The other one that I like his hairdo was in shades of truth. Julian and Wong Hei are just so funny in SOT!

I really can't rememeber clearly now. I watch this 3 years ago. For me to rewatch it, the best option is to buy the series since renting is not cheap too.
    and I am not sure yet if I should buy this. I rememeber getting so woke up over Junhao and Wen Chu's relationship and esp how Wen Chu was handling the feelings he had for her. nevertheless, this is one of the TVB series that caught my attention and made me want to watch then. I also like Julian's hair in this series. I did not really like his haircut in many of his other serials. The other one that I like his hairdo was in shades of truth. Julian and Wong Hei are just so funny in SOT!
    If you liked the series alot, I think it's a worthy investment.

I like Julian's hair in most of his series, but not so much in PONR.

Yep, SOT was great.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

oh yes, i also agree that that scene was very emotional felt sooo sad!
    cherrie

very emotional series being that julian and michael are two of the characters which makes this series really sad and dramatic.
    Best Series: Family Man, Triumph in the Skies, The Last Breakthrough, Heart of Greed
    Actors: Moses Chan, Raymond Lam, Steven Ma
    Actress: Jessica Hsuan
    Character: Dek Dek Dei

Question

In your opinion, who is the most despicable character in this series or who do you hate the most?

- Jin Sheng's stepmother who manipulates her son into marrying a woman he doesn't love

- Jin Sheng's playboy half brother with the bleached blonde hair who's just a complete arse

- Jin Sheng's father who chooses business/money over his son's happiness

- Situ Li Xin's aunt (who's married to Jun Hao's father) who's always suspicious of her husband and plans to reroute their money

- Situ Li Xin's aunt's sister who spies on her brother-in-law and always adds oil to the fire

- The girl (who likes Jin Sheng) who treats her blind mother with such unbelievable disrespect

- Other

I recognize the actress who plays the snobby girl who likes Jin Sheng in Return of the Cuckoo as the same one who played Wu Fu (San Yuan's youngest sister) in the Armed Reaction series. Her acting range is pretty impressive...from a meek and kind girl to a hardcore b!tch.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")