Thread: Jin Yong's experience with martial arts

Default Jin Yong's experience with martial arts

Before I started to hang out on this forum, I imagined that wuxia style martial arts are pure fantasy, but after reading some discussions, it seems that Jin Yong's martial arts often capture the essence of real Chinese martial arts theories --> which means, Jin Yong must have understood classic martial arts principles. How did he gain insights to such knowledge? I read that he once admitted he didn't know/practice martial arts.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    Before I started to hang out on this forum, I imagined that wuxia style martial arts are pure fantasy, but after reading some discussions, it seems that Jin Yong's martial arts often capture the essence of real Chinese martial arts theories --> which means, Jin Yong must have understood classic martial arts principles. How did he gain insights to such knowledge? I read that he once admitted he didn't know/practice martial arts.
    I don't know... Maybe he read up on them? Or studied them? He doesn't practice martial arts, but maybe he did research on them?

I was surprised to learn that there really is an Er'Mei/E'Mei sect. It's slightly different than how the Jin Yong novels present it, but it exists!
    有缘千里来相会
    无缘对面手难牵

Quote Originally Posted by Da Bao
    I don't know... Maybe he read up on them? Or studied them? He doesn't practice martial arts, but maybe he did research on them?

I was surprised to learn that there really is an Er'Mei/E'Mei sect. It's slightly different than how the Jin Yong novels present it, but it exists!
    Yup! Imagine my shock when I found out that there was one! Lol! Girl power!

Quote Originally Posted by dragongirl
    Yup! Imagine my shock when I found out that there was one! Lol! Girl power!
    Emei is like Shaolin... it's real and has always been around. If there's a real Wudang sect i'll want to join . Or better still Xiao Yao sect.

He didn't practice any martial art but he did practice some kind of qigong and later Taichi. He read a lot about the theories though. Safe to say that he's one of those great (what we call these days) bullshit artists. They may not know much about something, but they can say it so well that it makes everyone else think they are real experts. Besides, you should know that there's a saying: "Those who can't do, teach." Just ask your teachers/lecturers. JY is one of those.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    He didn't practice any martial art but he did practice some kind of qigong and later Taichi.
    Tai Chi is definitely a form of martial art. It is even recognized by the International Wushu Federation as such and their sparring competitions include an event for it.

I can go through the history (official and established version; not quite the same as JY's version) if you guys want.

Meant to say that he didn't practice any while he was writing his novel. He did Taichi decades later.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."