Thread: JY related Wikipedia entries need corrections

Default JY related Wikipedia entries need corrections

Hey guys, I don't know if any of you already edits Wikipedia articles on JY related topics, but if you have accurate knowledge on such topics, it would be great if you could proof read and correct any mistakes.

Although Wiki is one of my favorite websites, I am not someone who posts on Wiki often, in fact, I have hardly even editted anything there. I am happy that there has been a growth of information posted on Wiki on JY and his novels in the year or so since I last checked, but recently I checked out several articles, I was disappointed to find some inaccurate information. I corrected what I could for SOD, made some correction to the timeline of stories on JY's page, and I haven't proof read most of the other articles. As a JY fan who wants information presented as accurate to ACTUALLY BE accurate, I would greatly appreciate any contribution you can do.

Please doublecheck your sources and use correct Chinese characters and/or pinyin before posting though (if you post). I caught some careless errors in the SOD entry.

(I kept having some guy wipe out my explanation of what "XiaoAoJiangHu" meant until I showed him the dictionary definition of the idiom. Don't even get me started on how bad a translation I think "Smiling Proud Wanderer" is. *Shake head*)
    This account is retired.

Snickers.

Getting mad at Wiki for inaccuracies?
    Why, sir you must be...

I think I glanced at some of the articles but didn't know they were plagued with inaccuracies. I did notice that the SOD article seems to have plagirized some of Lenny's articles, though perhaps Lenny okayed it.

I think the entry on wuxia needs more pressing attention. Not only did some of the paragraphs look familiar (i.e., copy and pasted from this other guy's article), but I was pretty dissatisfied with its history or description section.

I guess I am naive LOL. I am someone who wouldn't post something on a public reference website as fact if I didn't know for sure.

Anyway, I editted the timeline to correct DGSD and added Sword Stained with Blood. It is still missing some novels. That editted code is weird. I am not touching it anymore.

I hope someone doesn't wipe my changes out. Some guy already says that DGSD couldn't have occurred in the 10th or 11th century LOL. DGSD actually occurs in around the year 1090 according to the clues supplied in the book.

A detailed discussion is available at the JY Teahouse.

http://jinyong.ylib.com/snowtalk/sho...nuine&no=25621
    This account is retired.

I gave up on the Wikipedia articles on wuxia. I had previously done extensive editing and re-writing on the article, only to find out later that my corrections were rejected for being a "fan-dom" article.

Han Solo

Oh well, I guess Wiki will just go on to pass on misinformation. I don't know who is editting the JY articles, but it's obvious some of them never even read the novels.

The article that I've looked kinda close at is the SOD entry since I go by the LWC handle in the JY Teahouse and I'm working on an SOD audio adaptation, everytime I read a different section, I see new errors.

Wiki can't be free of bullsith artists, much like the real world. Sadly.
    This account is retired.

I contributed a Guo Jing (Gwok Jing) article to Wikipedia early last year and it was promptly deleted with rather snide and condescending remarks...which really came across as odd to me because the critics didn't seem knowledgeable about Jin Yong or wuxia at all.

Later on, somebody wrote up a new Guo Jing article for Wikipedia that was better and more extensive than mine, and this is the one currently on Wikipedia. Even this one, however, was deficient in a few areas: for one thing, Gwok Jing's martial arts repertoire and training were completely glossed over (I recently appended that and fortunately, it was accepted this time).