Thread: A long-lost TVB wuxia actor returns from nowhere.

Default A long-lost TVB wuxia actor returns from nowhere.

Former TVB actor Kwan Chung (son of veteran TVB actor Kwan Hoi San), who played villainous roles in numerous TVB wuxia series during the 1970s and early 1980s (including Fok Teen Ching in LUK SIU FUNG and Beggar's Union Chief Cheun Gwoon Ching in DEMIGODS & SEMIDEVILS '81, but Kwan is probably most well-known for playing Mo Fa "No Flower" Monk in TVB's classic CHOR LAU HEUNG in 1979), has emerged recently after over twenty years of seclusion in Taiwan.

Kwan recently gave an interview to SING TAO WEEKLY Magazine (No. 43, May 23, 2004). After a run of great performances during the 1970s and early 1980s in villainous wuxia roles for TVB, Kwan left TVB and Hong Kong in 1982 to try his fortune in Taiwan, where a broadcast of TVB's CHOR LAU HEUNG had taken the island country by storm, and had made Kwan a popular villainous actor. Unfortunately, Kwan's acting career failed to take momentum in Taiwan, and he ended up deeply in debt, reportedly even spending some time in a Taiwanese prison. Little has been heard from Kwan over the past twenty years, but he is now apparently a successful businessman who operates a successful restaurant in Taiwan, and is a happily married family man. He no longer has any official ties to the entertainment industry, but he still exercises his skills as an entertainer by performing charity concerts at regional hospitals and senior centers, where he is always warmly welcomed by audiences. Not a professional singer during the prime of his career, Kwan has learned to sing a number of popular traditional Chinese songs, as well as the theme songs to the TVB wuxia series he once acted in (including CHOR LAU HEUNG and LUK SIU FUNG). Performing these charity concerts gives Kwan great pleasure.

In recent years, old Hong Kong friends and employers have repeatedly invited Kwan to return to Hong Kong and act for TVB again, joining a number of old TVB veterans who have returned to the small screen after having been absent for a number of years. Thus far, Kwan has declined their offers, but he has not ruled out the possibility of a comeback.

It's good to hear from the "No Flower Monk". He was one of the great character actors from TVB's classic 1970s and early 1980s wuxia series, and I have always wondered what happened to him. It's good to hear that he's doing well and has found success and happiness outside the entertainment industry. Despite the fact that he played villainous roles as an actor, I've heard that Kwan Chung the real man has always had a reputation for being a good friend and a nice guy.

do you mean this guy?

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.lovehkfilm.com/people/bk4376/kwan_hoi_san_4.jpg')

sorry it's his son your talking about

Yes, this is Kwan Chung, in his signature role as the No Flower Monk from CHOR LAU HEUNG.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.geocities.com/kauyimhak/images/chor_scene3.jpg')

Is Kwan Hoi San still alive?

Tong Jun Yip (who played Duan Yu in the 80s DGSD), Yang Pan Pan (Mu Nianci in 80s LOCH) also made a couple appearances in the late 90s after a period of quiet. They both put on huge amounts of weight too.

The female Quanzhen Taoist in the 80's TVB ROCH is in some recent TVB series too.
    TristeCoeur on Lady Yang: Someone needs 2 tell her that when u want 2 save people from being killed, u need to hurry the hell up, not play bull#### music & dance around. Her mission failed big time

I recently saw him in the Taiwanese production, They Kiss Again with Joe Cheng and Ariel Lin. He played Joe Cheng's maternal grandpa.... At first I could not believe that it was him!! What is he doing in a Taiwanese production??
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    I recently saw him in the Taiwanese production, They Kiss Again with Joe Cheng and Ariel Lin. He played Joe Cheng's maternal grandpa.... At first I could not believe that it was him!! What is he doing in a Taiwanese production??
    Kwan Chung has been based in Taiwan for the past twenty-six or so years. He got into some trouble with the law in Hong Kong, I believe, and was essentially a refugee in Taiwan (although he apparently got into trouble with the law there as well and spent some time in prison).

Whatever problems he had with the authorities in HK has seemingly passed. He was able to attend his father's funeral in HK a few years ago without trouble.

The talk of the time was that he was in negotiations to return to TVB, but nothing has come of it. I'd like to see him back. The guy was a terrific character actor, particularly in wuxia drama.