Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter Olympics 2006 - Torino, Italy

Senior Member superkaratemonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21
    Well, Canada did pretty well at the last Olympics but I think it's in regression. Canadians are reknowned chokers. The talent is there but not the mental.
    dats kinda harsh. there are a couple injuries on the canadian team (i think one was a skiier w/ a torn ACL, forgot the other guy). they can do better, but i wouldnt go so far as calling them chokers.

whats wrong w/ sweden's hockey team?? they finally have a goalie and still not doing well? i had high hopes 4 them. gotta give props to italy tho, they play hard and deserve alot of respect for hangin in there against canada for so long. bert is doing well, which annoys me to no end, becuz if he can do it there (for free), why isnt he doing it for the nucks (for $5M+)!? (OT, did anybody hear steve moore is suing bert for $19.5M? dats alot of lost income he is expecting. and his parents want $1.5M too? for what!?)

The Swedish women's hockey team won today and against the US of all teams. That's one huge upset cause no one expected it. The number of registered female hockey players in the States 55,000. The number of female registered hockey players in Sweden 450. I guess David can beat Goliath.

Btw, I have met the women's Swedish hockey team (not to mention most of the male/female speed skaters and luge atheletes) when they were in Calgary a couple of months ago preparing for the Olympics (Calgary is near Banff). I must say, the Swedish female players are ugly.

Anyway, I was wrong. The Canadian men's team will play against Switzerland tomorrow. Switzerland is nothing to fear, but they did defeat the Checzhs mainly thanks to Abeischer (I didn't even know he was Switz). So many games to watch tomorrow, I can't wait.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    There are alot of DQs, but that's part of the sport. Don't watch it if it disgusts you so much.
    Well it's not like I go out of my way to watch it. I just watch the Olympics on TV and sometime, short track speed skating is being shown and I kind of have no choice but to watch it. Sure I could zap to another channel and that's what I do often times but I also don't want to miss other events. At least Canada is good in the sport.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Quote Originally Posted by Yu W3i
    will canada doing better now.
    Yeah, it't doing quite good now. Hopefully I'm wrong about Canadians being chokers.

Wholly @#!@$!*!@#*!@*!*#!!! Canada lost to Switzerland!!! Wow, somebody didn't come to play today. Gerber was stellar and again I had no idea he was Switz. The Germans have been eliminated cause of this vicotry btw.

In a way, this is good. It only fires us up to play better from now on like it did the last Olympics, but we lost to the Swedes that time and the Switz aren't in the same league as the Swedes...

Wow, the Switz have now taken out the mighty Checzhs and the all powerful Canadians. Yikes!!! Still, if only our boys came to play today. Brodeur was floppying all over the place for the 1st 2 periods btw. I like the Nash Torhoton Bertuzzi line. Sakic isn't looking too good to me and I can't stand Pronger and Blake on the point. They never get their shots through.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

Quote Originally Posted by Bai Qi44
    Wholly @#!@$!*!@#*!@*!*#!!! Canada lost to Switzerland!!! Wow, somebody didn't come to play today. Gerber was stellar and again I had no idea he was Switz. The Germans have been eliminated cause of this vicotry btw.

In a way, this is good. It only fires us up to play better from now on like it did the last Olympics, but we lost to the Swedes that time and the Switz aren't in the same league as the Swedes...

Wow, the Switz have now taken out the mighty Checzhs and the all powerful Canadians. Yikes!!! Still, if only our boys came to play today. Brodeur was floppying all over the place for the 1st 2 periods btw. I like the Nash Torhoton Bertuzzi line. Sakic isn't looking too good to me and I can't stand Pronger and Blake on the point. They never get their shots through.
    It's "Swiss" and "Czechs" .

It's "Swiss" and "Czechs" .

Hmm... you seem to complain a lot. Just to t you off, I'll stick to calling them the Switz and Checzhs

Back to topic. I can't wait for the Canada - Finland game that's coming up soon. No wonder the Finns are playing so well. They have a 5 man unit whom all plays for the Dallas Stars. Now that's chemistry!

Well, the Switz tied the Germans today and the Americans lost to a Forsberg less Swedish team. Russia destroyed Latvia and I don't know the results of the other games. I think Slovakia beat some team 1-0.

Anyway, the Checzhs and the Italians have yet to play and Canada has yet to play the Finns.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

Hmm... you seem to complain a lot. Just to t you off, I'll stick to calling them the Switz and Checzhs
    You call that complaining? You're a very little person. I was just letting you know what was the proper way to write them. My English is usually not the greatest and I wouldn't mind if people correct me. That's how you learn, but if you get all offended for such little things than sorry... shish .

Banned

Canada is really choking hard. They better win all the playoff games, or are doing this on purpose (highly doubt). honestly, I am so disappointed in them. What is CAnada good for if not hockey? May be I should not leave the US and stay in New York, coz as of right now, CAnada sucks....

will they aren't doing that bad so far this week. so don;t be so mean to canada, it a good country
    $this->handle_bbcode_url(str_replace('\"', '"', 'http://photo.sohu.com/20040716/Img221041931.jpg'), '')

Senior Member superkaratemonkey's Avatar

wow, 2-0 again! dats over 6 periods that team canada's been shut out. whats going on? wheres all the firepower we were supposed to have? i only watched the 2nd and 3rd, thot we played well but just couldnt buy a goal. dats y i wouldnt panick just yet, altho its disappointing. team finland always impress me, they dont always have the most talent, but they r always a tough team to play. they remind me of the minny wilds. and koivu and selanne are magic in international hockey!

btw, did anybody see that american girl losing gold medal cuz she tried to showoff and do some stupid jump, end up coming in 2nd. wtf was she thinkin? she worked her whole life for a chance to win an olympic gold medal and she went and pull somethin like dat? for all she know, dat could be her only shot at it. very poor decision IMO.

Hockey Hockey Hockey!!!!!!!!

Come on fellow hockey fans. Where are you all? Jere and that Wings girl, you two are cheering for the US team right??? Good luck with that cause they ain't going to the medal round.

Russia looks deadly offensively.... but that's about it.

Canada still looks the best all around. Then again, the Checzhs are always tough.

The first day of the tourney, the biggest match up is Sweeden against Russia!

PS. Figure skating sucks without Michelle Kwan (nice eye candy).
    yes, i agree... figure skating sucks w/o michelle kwan. it's part of the reason i actually LIKE figure skating. now that she's injured, i lost interest in it.

You call that complaining? You're a very little person. I was just letting you know what was the proper way to write them. My English is usually not the greatest and I wouldn't mind if people correct me. That's how you learn, but if you get all offended for such little things than sorry... shish .

I'm a very little person? I've read the stuff you wrote in this forum and believe me, I'm not even closed to your league. It's very ironic that you call me a little person. Names are not proper English anyway and besides there are over 200 countries on the planet so it's not that big of a deal if I spelled it wrong. I did not get offended by your correcting my spelling or else I wouldn't have used that smiley, but it looks like you got offended by my response. Anyway, you don't see other people going around correcting people's spelling / grammar. That just shows what kind of person you are. And can we please just get back to topic. Man, you have to complain about everything. Just stick to the Olympics please!

edit - oops, my bad. I didn't realize that I forgot to use the smiley in my above post or else you wouldn't have thought this way. Anyway, let's just get back to topic.
    Last edited by Bai Qi44; 02-20-06 at 01:01 AM.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

I'm a very little person? I've read the stuff you wrote in this forum and believe me, I'm not even closed to your league. It's very ironic that you call me a little person. Names are not proper English anyway and besides there are over 200 countries on the planet so it's not that big of a deal if I spelled it wrong. I did not get offended by your correcting my spelling or else I wouldn't have used that smiley, but it looks like you got offended by my response. Anyway, you don't see other people going around correcting people's spelling / grammar. That just shows what kind of person you are. And can we please just get back to topic. Man, you have to complain about everything. Just stick to the Olympics please!

edit - oops, my bad. I didn't realize that I forgot to use the smiley in my above post or else you wouldn't have thought this way. Anyway, let's just get back to topic.
    Hey, I added a smiley in my first post, don't forget that. My correcting was just a little note, nothing more. I don't go out correcting people's spelling everyday, just once in a blue moon. It just happens that this time, I felt like it. I have seen people misspelling so many times but I chose you as my target .

If you really want a compaint, here it goes... Canada sucks and the players are lazy. They don't skate, they can't pass, they just don't work hard enough. They try to play the European game and are not good at it and when they dump it in the Canadian way, they fail at chasing the puck. I want them to put their act together NOW. Pat Quinn needs to settle on the lines and let the players gel. It's hard to have chemistry when the lines keep being changed. Say somthing to wake the players up for crying out loud, don't just stand there and chew gum. When a player cause a stupid penalty, bench him for awhile. We have one more game to gel and then it's the elimination round. If the team doesn't work harder and skate, we're doomed.
    Last edited by Canuck21; 02-20-06 at 03:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kiropuppy
    yes, i agree... figure skating sucks w/o michelle kwan. it's part of the reason i actually LIKE figure skating. now that she's injured, i lost interest in it.
    I lost interest ever since Kurt Browning retired.

Quote Originally Posted by superkaratemonkey
    wow, 2-0 again! dats over 6 periods that team canada's been shut out. whats going on? wheres all the firepower we were supposed to have? i only watched the 2nd and 3rd, thot we played well but just couldnt buy a goal. dats y i wouldnt panick just yet, altho its disappointing. team finland always impress me, they dont always have the most talent, but they r always a tough team to play. they remind me of the minny wilds. and koivu and selanne are magic in international hockey!

btw, did anybody see that american girl losing gold medal cuz she tried to showoff and do some stupid jump, end up coming in 2nd. wtf was she thinkin? she worked her whole life for a chance to win an olympic gold medal and she went and pull somethin like dat? for all she know, dat could be her only shot at it. very poor decision IMO.
    To be honest, I think Gretzky and company chosed players based on past performance and not what happened this year. There's no way Staal and Spezza shouldn't be on the main squad. There's no way any of the Tampa boys should be on the team. There's absolutely no way that Bertuzzi should be on the team either. The way Iginla played this year, even he doesn't deserve to be on the team. Both Blake and Foote shouldn't be on the team from their performance base on this year as well. McCabe???? Come on. Phenauf should be on the team. Pronger is sucking big time. He's too slow and takes too many dumb penalties. Did you noticed that Koviu and Selanne were skating circles around Pronger all game? Both Pronger and Blake are absolutely useless on the point. McCabe should be on the point, not Richards. That's the only thing McCabe is good for and Quinn doesn't put him there.

Still, you think with the roster the Canadians have (the whole NHL salary of the Canadian team costs $108 mil US), they would be much better than this.

Yes. I've always watched figure skating only cause of the hot girls in skimpy outfits. Michelle Kwan was one of them and I never considered figure skating to be a sport. Anything that uses judges to decide the outcome is not a sport (don't say boxing cause they don't technically use judges to make decisions).

Canucks 21, I can't agree more. The entire Canadian roster is sucking big time. Nash was the only highlight for Canada in the last two games, but he's got no finish. Anyway, the whole round robin means squat. As long as you qualified for the quarter finals, then round robin play really doesn't matter. Sweden was undefeated in round robin play at Salt Lake, but lost to Berlarus in the quarters so I'll only really care when Canada doesn't do well in medal contention.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

Anything that uses judges to decide the outcome is not a sport (don't say boxing cause they don't technically use judges to make decisions).
    They do when they go to decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ
    And there's NEVER any controversies in those. What happened to good ol'punch until one of you drops?
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ
    Well, boxing judges only count the number of hits landed and not award points for style and grace of punches, unlike figure skating. I always thought it would be better if Boxers wore gloves with some kind of sensitivity device on them so that we can just eliminate the judges all together. They are not needed.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

Canucks 21, I can't agree more. The entire Canadian roster is sucking big time. Nash was the only highlight for Canada in the last two games, but he's got no finish. Anyway, the whole round robin means squat. As long as you qualified for the quarter finals, then round robin play really doesn't matter. Sweden was undefeated in round robin play at Salt Lake, but lost to Berlarus in the quarters so I'll only really care when Canada doesn't do well in medal contention.
    How ironic that Nash has no finishing touch eh? He who won the Richard trophy before. Right now, nothing is going Canada's way. At least if they could have lost 2-1, 3-1 or even 5-2 you know? They absolutely can't score and rarely have a good shot. Most of the shots have been from the outside with no good angle. They just can't penetrate. It's very frustrating watching them.