Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Winter Olympics 2006 - Torino, Italy

Banned

alfredsson can kiss my ***. he is the most overrated player. if he was any good, ottawa would have won the stanley cup. he chokes.

Heatley and Spezza make him better. They are the real deal. Heatley isn't playing well these last few games but he started the tourney well. He's still young.

As for LeCavalier he's the best player on tampa bay. Not St. Louis, not Richards. Vinny is the franchise.

Neidermayer and Jovanowski's loss is huge. Our D sux. We need more mobility. Neidermayer was key for that.

hopefully Bertuzzi can heat up, along with Iginla. Those players can carry the team. That Thorton, Bertuzzi, and Nash line would be unstoppable if on fire. That is some prolific scoring, that's why I don't know why they are so cold....

Heatley and Iginla, i believe is the team's X factor, aside from the Goalie. If heatley and iginla are scoring well, there is limitless potential of how dominant canada can be.

Sakic is getting old and this is prob his last Olympics. That's why the new guys have to step up. It would be great to see Sakic to have another gold medal before he retires.

Sakic is the last of the past 80-90's superstars club that includes Messier, Yzerman, Gretzky, Lemieux, Kariya, Lindros, Roy, Bourque, etc. he deserves to go out in glory.

But i won't be surprised if Russia wins tommorrow. They have an outstanding team.

41 goals isnt bad in this era, u cant compare w/ the 80s or even early 90s. goals r harder to come by these days
    ya whatever happened to 92 goals in a season. Oh wait i think only one dude did that. But ya 40 goal seasons is the benchmark nowadays. Even Bure's 60 goal type seasons are non existent in today's game.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Banned

Russia, I hope they lose, and everyone EXCEPT Kovalchuk and Datysuk dies from choking.. (i have them in my hockey pool)

Moin, it's not like what you're saying. Hits in baseball, rebounds in basketball, assists in hockey, etc counts towards individual stats and can be use to figure out how good a player is. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think hits in boxing counts towards any personal stats. Boxers have KO counts, wins, losses, and draws, but I don't ever remember a stat like "5600 punches landed" or something like that. It would be pretty much useless if boxing is so subjective. Hence, I don't like the idea of a 3rd party making a decision.

Anyway, since this is a winter Olympic thread, I wish you would also post something related to the winter Olympics. I'll do it for you. Jarko Ruutu will run a mock tomorrow and be super pesky to your US team. This will p*** Tkachuk off, who then will attempt to eat Ruutu for lunch....literally!
    PS: Chelios is ugly!

Monkey, I forgot about the World Cup. Actually, I don't think I even watch. That tournament was somewhat pointless. I don't think Draper is shutting anybody down, but he is doing his job as a PKer.

41 goals to lead the league is pretty bad, even in this era. Iginla lead the league with 52, then Hejduk with 50 (follow by Naslund and Bertuzzi with 48 and 46 respectively), then 3 guys with 41??? That is pretty bad. Good individually, but no way should that total lead the league. No one player who lead the league had score that few goals since the late 60's.

Panadol, I think you should realize that Bertuzzi has been playing like this for the Canucks all season. I don't see any different from what he has done on team Canada. The only thing he hasn't done, which is good, is take dumb penalties (I think that's McCabe's role now). Bertuzzi frustrates the hell out of Canucks fans. He can have a great game and totally dominate the game by himself, then he'll take 3 or 4 weeks off and just float around.

Also, Iginla is doing the same thing on team Canada as he was doing for the Flames. He's frustrating everyone by not scoring. Have you seen his game? He's just shooting from everywhere, no matter how bad the angle is.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

The matchups have been set! Here are the teams and the scheduled times for them.

10:30 AM EST T
    Sweden vs Switzerland - Hmm... I wonder what team will win? I just hope Sweden doesn't pull another Belarus. This time around, they don't have Salo and they do have Foppa. If Canada gets ousted, I'll cheer for the Swedes cause of 3 Nuck players.

11:30 AM EST T
    United States vs Finland - Tough call. Even though the US isn't playing well and Finland is, anything can happen. Both teams have the potential to beat the other.

2:30 PM EST T
    Canada vs Russia - The Russians are scary. So much offense. Canada didn't play well in round robin, but then again I guess it might depend on how good (we need great) Brodeur does. Man, I just hope Gonchar plays like his damn crappy useful self.

3:30 PM EST T
    Czech Republic vs Slovakia - This might be the most insterting match of the day. The Czechs are one of those teams that you think are out of it, then wham they're back in the game again. The game between two brother nations... Who ever has more national pride wins. If Vokoun plays and plays like he did against Canada, Slovaks win.
    Last edited by Bai Qi44; 02-22-06 at 06:15 AM.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

Quote Originally Posted by Bai Qi44
    Moin, it's not like what you're saying. Hits in baseball, rebounds in basketball, assists in hockey, etc counts towards individual stats and can be use to figure out how good a player is. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think hits in boxing counts towards any personal stats. Boxers have KO counts, wins, losses, and draws, but I don't ever remember a stat like "5600 punches landed" or something like that. It would be pretty much useless if boxing is so subjective. Hence, I don't like the idea of a 3rd party making a decision.
    probably has something to do with the other athletes participate in team sports, where teams win-loss typically doesn't reflect entirely on the individuals (unless you are Kobe of course). now if boxing is tag team style, I can imagine hit count and % landed will become quite relevant stats. if you watch any televised fights, they do show these stats. but honestly, do we care? we just want to see someone get knocked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Moinllieon
    I'd still go with: punch until you drop.
    you got my vote. that's why the old UFC fights are so appealing (until they wussified it boxing style). either that or there's something subconsciously intriguing about how long a grown man can endure having another man's sweaty crotch in your face.

oh yeah, about the winter olympics. curling rulez .... go curlers ... yeah!
    Last edited by dan J; 02-22-06 at 09:13 AM.
    It means you got eyes like apostrophes, you dress white, talk black, and drive Jew. So how am I supposed to know what kind of zipperhead dog-munching dink you are if you don't?

Quote Originally Posted by dan J
    probably has something to do with the other athletes participate in team sports, where teams win-loss typically doesn't reflect entirely on the individuals (unless you are Kobe of course). now if boxing is tag team style, I can imagine hit count and % landed will become quite relevant stats. if you watch any televised fights, they do show these stats. but honestly, do we care? we just want to see someone get knocked out.

you got my vote. that's why the old UFC fights are so appealing (until they wussified it boxing style). either that or there's something subconsciously intriguing about how long a grown man can endure having another man's sweaty crotch in your face.

oh yeah, about the winter olympics. curling rulez .... go curlers ... yeah!
    Well, a sport like Tennis is also an individual sport with stats that actually mean something and these, whatever the category, stats are kept as part of the tennis player's record. # of aces usually indicates how good a Tennis player's serve is. They keep all these stats for tennis players to indicate what area they're good in . Team sport or not, no way should a judge(s) ever decide the outcome. That's how people figured out Figure skating, which I never considered a sport, was fixed. I don't think they keep # of punches thrown/landed for boxers are kept as part of the boxer's stats, unlike tennis, so why even have a hit counter? Wins and losses in tennis aren't decided by judges. Individual sport or not, no decision should be made by a 3rd party.

And oh yeah, nice one. Curling is bowling on ice and I can't stand watching it. I was going to give you two minutes in the "sin bin", but since you posted something related to winter Olympics, I'll let it go.
    Last edited by Bai Qi44; 02-22-06 at 01:06 PM.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

Well, a sport like Tennis is also an individual sport with stats that actually mean something and these, whatever the category, stats are kept as part of the tennis player's record. # of aces usually indicates how good a Tennis player's serve is. They keep all these stats for tennis players to indicate what area they're good in . Team sport or not, no way should a judge(s) ever decide the outcome. That's how people figured out Figure skating, which I never considered a sport, was fixed. I don't think they keep # of punches thrown/landed for boxers are kept as part of the boxer's stats, unlike tennis, so why even have a hit counter? Wins and losses in tennis aren't decided by judges. Individual sport or not, no decision should be made by a 3rd party.
    So do you consider Boxing a sport or not? You don't consider Figure Skating a sport because it is decided by judges and can be fixed. Well, if you don't think team sports that are not decided by judges can't be fixed, then you must not have heard of the White Sox of 1919. There are plenty of conspiracy theories about soccer games being fixed.

Whether or not you think the outcome should be decided by judge, that's the way it's always been with Boxing. They have the hit counter for the audience. (I'm not sure if the judges get to see the CompuBox scores). It's to show how effective the boxers are, (not just the total number of hits, but the efficiency of the hits, and also the number of power punches landed). It's all cumulative to determine who is the winner of the round.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ
    So do you consider Boxing a sport or not? You don't consider Figure Skating a sport because it is decided by judges and can be fixed. Well, if you don't think team sports that are not decided by judges can't be fixed, then you must not have heard of the White Sox of 1919. There are plenty of conspiracy theories about soccer games being fixed.

Whether or not you think the outcome should be decided by judge, that's the way it's always been with Boxing. They have the hit counter for the audience. (I'm not sure if the judges get to see the CompuBox scores). It's to show how effective the boxers are, (not just the total number of hits, but the efficiency of the hits, and also the number of power punches landed). It's all cumulative to determine who is the winner of the round.
    I consider it a sport only if there is no judge's decision. Please stop posting non-winter Olympic related topics in here! I will not discuss it further. If you have no interest in winter Olympic events, then start a boxing thread (I won't do it cause I'm through discussing boxing in here). Thank you!

DAMN IT. F***!!! Canada lost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! @!$*&)!*#!*)$)!@*

Where the !@#@#! did our 106 million offense go? Stupid Bertuzzi takes a dumb dumb dumb penalty!!!! Stupid Pronger can't be smart and just pass the damn puck, instead gives it away and takes a penalty!!!! @#*$@* Bertuzzi's trade value for the Nucks has just plummented to an all time low!
    Last edited by Bai Qi44; 02-22-06 at 05:54 PM.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

Quote Originally Posted by kiropuppy
    i like watching the figure skating most
    yup i enjoy figure skating the most too ! THe contestant all skate beautifully and naturally .

Quote Originally Posted by HiPeoples
    yup i enjoy figure skating the most too ! THe contestant all skate beautifully and naturally .
    and Sasha Cohen looks beautiful, too.

Senior Member superkaratemonkey's Avatar

I consider it a sport only if there is no judge's decision. Please stop posting non-winter Olympic related topics in here! I will not discuss it further. If you have no interest in winter Olympic events, then start a boxing thread (I won't do it cause I'm through discussing boxing in here). Thank you!

DAMN IT. F***!!! Canada lost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! @!$*&)!*#!*)$)!@*

Where the !@#@#! did our 106 million offense go? Stupid Bertuzzi takes a dumb dumb dumb penalty!!!! Stupid Pronger can't be smart and just pass the damn puck, instead gives it away and takes a penalty!!!! @#*$@* Bertuzzi's trade value for the Nucks has just plummented to an all time low!
    we mite have better luck playing the canadian's women hockey team against the russian yesterday
    just when u were praising how bert isnt takin dumb penalties, he went and took 1 in the offensive zone, lol. i cant believe w/ all dat offense we got shut out 3 of the 6 games, and scored only in 1 of the last 12 periods!! wtf!? team canada got some serious questions to answer. its not a matter of losing, its how they lose that is disturbing to me.
    oh well, hopefully they get it fixed for next olympics, cuz if they dont win gold in 2010, there mite be another riot in downtown vancouver.

btw, cindy klassen 4 medals!! dats amazing! is dat like a record or something? she definitely the canadian's athlete of the yr.

I'm looking forward to watch Figure Skating Champions GALA Exhibition today. Skaters are going to show off tricks that are not allowed in the competition!!
    And yeah, I like figure skating too

TIME= 1:00 PM EST
    Last edited by Arching_Hero; 02-24-06 at 09:13 AM.
    Les Arts Martiaux!
    "En Garde","Fleche Enflammee"!!

Canada's doing well in fourth place - especially with the gold in men's curling today! I can't wait to watch the 4-man bobsleigh's last two heats tomorrow. Too bad the men's lost in hockey, but it's been a great Olympics so far. I can't believe it's going to be over so soon!
    I'm watching: War & Destiny, Yummy Yummy

Want to watch: The Conquest, ASITP & EH (again)

Recently watched: LOCH'82, Strike at Heart, Central Affairs, The Academy

did anyone watch the closing ceremony? i find those clowns a lil not suitable for the whole event. anyway, it was a nice closing.

did u all realise that there's a intruder when the canadian guy (if not mistaken) make his speech? i wonder what happen that time...

Quote Originally Posted by kacheek
    did anyone watch the closing ceremony? i find those clowns a lil not suitable for the whole event. anyway, it was a nice closing.

did u all realise that there's a intruder when the canadian guy (if not mistaken) make his speech? i wonder what happen that time...
    I watched part of it. The intruder was a Spanish guy who approached the mic and yelled "Passion lives in Torino" during Torino organizing committee chief Valentino Castellani's speech.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I did not watch this ceremony, but I've been watching almost all the ski events. I love ski competitions, and I'm glad my favourite won 2 gold medal! (he's Beni Raich, the best! ). And of course, as I'm french, I was glad Antoine Deneriaz and Joel Chenal also won medals...
    Now I'm quite sad because olympic games are over... and I won't be able to watch ski anymore on french television...

Didn't feel like posting in here after Canada lost to the Russians. Oh well, the Russians lost to the Fins in the semi's, which makes Canada look even worse. The Swedes beat the Czechs cause Foppa is a better clutch performer than Jgar when it counts most. The Swedes, my 2nd favorite team in the tourney cause of 3 Nuck players, beat the Fins in the Finals. So the Swedish women's team won the silver and the Men's team won gold. Too bad Nazzy couldn't be a part of it. Oh well, now we have 3 goal medalists in the Nucks lineup and 2 silver medalists to boot. If we didn't lose Malik, we'd also have a bronze medalist and the most magnificent shootout scorer in the league.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!