Thread: Weird JY Couples

Post Weird JY Couples

There are a few weird couples in the JY Novels. Before LOCH, Wang Chongyang was with Lin Chaoying. Why do they keep sparring with each and not just live happily ever after just like Yang Guo & Xiaolongnu??

Also in HSDS, Hu Qingniu and his wife Wang Nangu also kept competing and sparring with each other with their healing skills and poisoning skills respectively. They wasted so much time just by competing with each other, why can they just cherish their time together, even when Granny Sun was about to seek revenge on them, they were still on loggerheads and still competing with each other. Why can't they just cherish their relationship? How weird this couples are... By comparing with Guo Jing & Huang Rong or YG & XLN, i think they should be deemed as a failure as far as marriage is concerned and also as a couple...

short answer: Because people are not perfect.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

Wang Chongyang and Lin Chaoying were equally matched in almost anything, alas that was also why they never got together.
    Because either one of them were practically peerless in the realm, the only one who could be their worthy opponent happened to be each other. Their mutual talents and personalities was what drew them to each other, but it was also these two traits that drove them apart from each other in the end.

They loved each other dearly, but they never understood each other and never took the time to look into each other's souls and examine what the other party wanted. Lin Chaoying loved Wang Chongyang, but she still wanted to prove to Wang Chongyang that she is not inferior to him. During their duels, sparring she would often pout or throw tantrums just to have an edge over Wang Chongyang. Wang Chongyang would often be bemused by these antics but in the long run, I can imagine that he would grow tedious of such behaviour. The same goes for why Lin Chaoying would become very angry when Wang Chongyang pretended not to see her hints of love. In the final conflict between them, Wang Chongyang first thought in order to prevent any further conflicts with her, I will defeat her and she will forsake this relationship once and for all.
    But when he heard her saying that if she were to be defeated she will commit suicide, he reconsidered and decided to lose to her and marry her.
    However, something went wrong then. Because although, he did not know how she was able to write in stone he suspected something was amiss.
    And the next day he decided to become a Taoist priest after all. Marriage, relationship is all about trust. And before they were to get married, Lin Chaoying was already dishonest. How can a marriage work then? It is not surprising if Wang Chongyang felt disappointed and rather become a Taoist priest then step into a disastrous marriage. Wang Chongyang, himself is also to blame if he planned to give in then call off the duel. But he did not.
    These two martial arts masters were good people, but they were also extremely proud. If either one of them was just a bit less stubborn and proud they could have been a wonderful couple.

P.S. Lin Chaoying herseld did master Jade Maiden Art, but she died shortly afterwards and never used it. But this happened 15 to 20 years prior to the First Huashan tournament. (edition 3)
    Last edited by Athena; 02-08-06 at 02:48 PM.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Quote Originally Posted by Athena

P.S. Lin Chaoying herseld did master Jade Maiden Art, but she died shortly afterwards and never used it. But this happened 15 to 20 years prior to the First Huashan tournament. (edition 3)

If WCY was in his 50's at the first mt. hua and assumign LCY and WCY are about the same age, then LCY died probably in her late 30's or early 40's? What's up with great JY woman dying off early (ala guo sueng)?????

Also, one more thing, so XLN and Yang Guo never mastered the Jade Maiden art?

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

Quote Originally Posted by bobbywu
    If WCY was in his 50's at the first mt. hua and assumign LCY and WCY are about the same age, then LCY died probably in her late 30's or early 40's? What's up with great JY woman dying off early (ala guo sueng)?????

Also, one more thing, so XLN and Yang Guo never mastered the Jade Maiden art?
    Central Divinity Wang Chongyang should be around 80 years old when he died, according to the real legend of Wang Chongyang he died when he was 58 years old age but let us keep fact and fiction separated.
    *Fiction:
    Wang Chongyang started to the literary fields when he was young, he only started to learn martial arts at the age of 15.
    It takes about 10 years to become fully master your abilities.
    25 years roaming the realm, let us say he roamed the world for about 5 years (meet Lin Chaoying in the progress).
    Meeting friends, and picking up some ideas of the world, let us say again he started to feel bad about the current situation in the world (Jurchens have taken over the northern provinces of the Song empire). He starts to assemble an army to retake the lost lands at the age of 30. The assembly of an army cannot be done by overnight, another extra 5 years when his army is operational in my opnion.
    At the age of 35 he starts his war to retake the lost lands. However after fighting for some years he suffered several defeats and in the end he gave up his dream and retreated back.
    Let us say again that this war only lasted another year or 4.

In my opinion with the infrastructure of those days, organizing an army. Leading an army takes a lot of time and energy, so the five years I have given is acutally really optimistic thinking. And another 3, 4 years of war is also very very optismistic.
    He was disillusioned and retreated to his ancient tomb and spend some years perfecting his martial arts.
    I would say a 3, 4 years in total. Now at the end of those 3, 4 years Lin Chaoying forced him out his tomb again.
    He is now about 43 years old, together they roam Wulin for a year or two.
    Now he is 45, at this time Lin Chaoying and Wang Chongyang started to compete with each other for some time. Because Wang Chongyang sort of ignored the love signs of Lin Chaoying. At the end they duelled several times, Lin Chaoying was weaker than him but because Wang didn't really want to hurt her feelings he only used 50% of his abilities coming to a draw.
    In the end Lin tricked him into losing the tomb, he becomes a Taoist priest at Mount Zhongnan. In the beginning he was very uncomfortable being a Taoist but after years of contemplating on Taoist codices he finally became enlightened.
    Enlightment doesn't come overday, and the novel said after years of contemplation I would take an extra 7 years.
    53 now, he probably started to organize, perfect his style turning it into Quanzhen. That would take another three years, he was now 55 and has founded the Quanzhen School.
    The Quanzhen School as we know was the leading martial arts school in the era of LOCH and ROCH. This was mainly because of Central Divinity Wang Chongyang, it takes about ten years for a school to become famous and respected. He is now 65, also he had to accept disciples. Judging by the martial arts level of the Seven Masters he had to at least put another ten years in training them. He is now 75 years old. Received news on the death of Lin Chaoying, he retired to a small chamber in the back of his mountain and stayed for three years hoping to counter Yunu Xinjing. However he could think of a few skills, but he couldn't creat a new set of style alltogether and gave up after three years.
    78 now, Chaos over Jiuyin, Tournament at Mount Hua. 2 years from the tournament he dies.
    About 80.
    This is all information from LOCH and ROCH, which I have combined and if you have doubts about it. Be my guest. Again the infrastucture of 1000 years ago weren't that advanced and I've really giving the most optimistic calculations.

If we look at the accomplishments of Wang Chongyang in the novels, it is impossible for him to be able to do all of this if he died around 60 years old. Look at the time Zhang Sanfeng needed before he created the Wudang School.

This is an old post of mine.
    Last edited by Athena; 02-09-06 at 07:02 AM.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Who said Guo Xiang died early?
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    Jin Yong?

Did HSDS say anything like that? Did Mie Jue tell ZZR about this when she was talking about GX? GX might have just retired and went to bother XLN and YG.

Quote Originally Posted by Candide

This is strictly from memory; I think someone on this forum once deducted that from Z3F's age. In HSDS didn't Z3f mention something about Guo Xiang's passing or so?