Thread: OT: A few comments on the Survivor Games

Default OT: A few comments on the Survivor Games

Dear all,

Just a few comments/suggestions concerning the popular Wuxia survivor games as played in this forum:

1. Wouldn't it be better if a new "Forum Games" section was created by SC solely dedicated to playing Survivor and other games? This way, those who like to play can knock themselves out while those who only want to discuss wuxia are not bothered by a humongous amount of game threads.

2. Why is the Swordsmen Survivor thread made sticky? The thread, although extremely entertaining, does not exactly provide valuable information on Wuxia subjects. I find it strange that other, more informative threads are lost due to "lack of bandwidth", while the Swordsmen Survivor game can become sticky in no-time.

Greetings,

Lav
    對 敵 須 狠 , 斬 草 除 根 , 男 女 老 幼 , 不 留 一 人

I second that.

Quote Originally Posted by Laviathan
    Dear all,

Just a few comments/suggestions concerning the popular Wuxia survivor games as played in this forum:

1. Wouldn't it be better if a new "Forum Games" section was created by SC solely dedicated to playing Survivor and other games? This way, those who like to play can knock themselves out while those who only want to discuss wuxia are not bothered by a humongous amount of game threads.
    Although there appear to be many games on this forum now, they are not numerous enough by themselves to warrant the establishment of a whole new forum. Moreover, despite their current popularity, I imagine the games will flag within a month or two. As such, I don't believe they merit their own forum right now (that could change, but at present, no).

Quote Originally Posted by Laviathan

2. Why is the Swordsmen Survivor thread made sticky? The thread, although extremely entertaining, does not exactly provide valuable information on Wuxia subjects. I find it strange that other, more informative threads are lost due to "lack of bandwidth", while the Swordsmen Survivor game can become sticky in no-time.
    Remember that the currently archived stickies began life as regular threads (and all of them are still open, albeit not added to recently), got stickied as they became tremendously active centers of discussion, and spent quite a bit of time individually stickied on the front page before they were eventually archived. The same is true for the original Swordsman Survivor thread, which is of recent vintage and contains valuable information on how to operate such a game (as well as tidbits of wuxia obscura here and there). As time passes, this thread will join the list of archived threads but for now, it's still current enough to be stickied on the front page.

I think it would be better if PJ or I or the both of us wrote specialized scripts for these games and hosted it on our own sites.

Any comments?

I think that a forum dedicated to survivor games could benefit the whole community. First, it would provide a consolidated place for ANY game theme, not restricted to wuxia. Some members have suggested such themes as Star War or X-Men, and I think those could work well if we can bring together the people from the other forums. Second, it would restore some of the forum's sanity and regular discussions.

I would encourage anyone to bring this idea to SC's attention. I am going on vacation soon; if no one has voiced this to the admins by the time I return, then I will speak to them.

I think it would be better if PJ or I or the both of us wrote specialized scripts for these games and hosted it on our own sites.

Any comments?
    It would indeed be nice if we could provide an online environment where people can start their own survivor games. However, I cannot think of a (free) stable place to host such a web application.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    It would indeed be nice if we could provide an online environment where people can start their own survivor games. However, I cannot think of a (free) stable place to host such a web application.

It's worth considering. Of course the best case is if SC granted us a space to write such scripts for these games.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    Quote Originally Posted by IcyFox
    It's worth considering. Of course the best case is if SC granted us a space to write such scripts for these games.
    There's someone else you can ask for that.
    Last edited by Candide; 02-26-06 at 03:52 AM.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    There's someone else you can ask for that.

Ahhhhhh..... I forgot all about that.

SO what do you say?

Wuxiapedia! Would you?

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

Remember that the currently archived stickies began life as regular threads (and all of them are still open, albeit not added to recently), got stickied as they became tremendously active centers of discussion, and spent quite a bit of time individually stickied on the front page before they were eventually archived. The same is true for the original Swordsman Survivor thread, which is of recent vintage and contains valuable information on how to operate such a game (as well as tidbits of wuxia obscura here and there). As time passes, this thread will join the list of archived threads but for now, it's still current enough to be stickied on the front page.
    All those new survivor games have their own set of rules, which are explained in the first posts of those games. Although the rules are similar to the first game, but there are some variations. So members who play the newer games should read the rules belonging to the game they want to play and not really the first Survivor thread. Personally, I don't see the need to keep that very long survivor thread up there. Furthermore, the wuxia minutiae in that thread is just a rough summary of topics already discussed. The longest debated topic was Yan 13 and he and his martial arts were addressed in separate threads.

Just my two cents.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Ken, maybe you might want to consider creating a sticky thread that indexes all the survivor games here instead of making all the survivor games into sticky threads.

Just a suggestion.
    Last edited by IcyFox; 02-27-06 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IcyFox
    Ahhhhhh..... I forgot all about that.

SO what do you say?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordwiz
    Wuxiapedia! Would you?
    Well, if I were to host a game section, or anything else really, on Wuxiapedia, I'd like it to be more of a regular thing than just an one off thing (if it's the latter then just keep it here on this forum, which it will then fade away and die ). If you think that this sort of game is fun and you can organise those games on a regular basis then I can provide the required hosting, which would be either a subsection or subdomain of Wuxiapedia.com. If you're serious about getting it done, write me a requirement list (things you want to implement - as detailed as possible) and I'll see what I can do.

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

If we really carry this out then I think we're going to need access to your CGI-Bin (unless we use PHP) and a few text files to store the game logs and the scores. A simple user interface would suffice. I don't think any of us has the time to develop a massive multiplayer online survivor game (MMOSG) making use of DirectX/OpenGL and SQL databases etc.

If this suits you I can write a sample PERL script and submit it to you. (Haven't really learnt PHP yet... If you want me to translate it to PHP then you've got to wait till I learn it first. )

And of course, we need a strong and reliable server. I hope the Wuxiapedia server wouldn't suffer blackouts like the old Spcnet server!

Some clarifications:

1. Not all "Survivor" game threads will be stickied.

2. The original Swordsman Survivor Thread is only stickied temporarily (maybe for a month, maybe two months...it depends). It's there because it was the first (historic) and the prototype for its successors. Eventually, it will join the "Gwok Jing vs. Yeung Gor" thread and the "DGSD vs. CONDOR HEROES TRILOGY" thread in the archive.

IcyFox,

I don't need your code (at least not yet). What I need is the high-level requirements: what features you need for those games - what you want the game admins/moderators to do, what you want the users to be able to do.

For a start I think a pretty simple game engine would do.

The game master creates a form showing the list of contestants. Players key in their names (we have to trust their integrity here) and select the candidate they wish to vote for from a drop-down list. They select their vote (+1 or -1) and submit the form. The PERL/PHP script will add the score to the table (stored in a text file) and also add the their vote to an activity log (stored in another text file).

At the end the game master will close the form (or just get rid of the Submit button) and check the score table. The winner is announced. For transparency the game master can release the activity log to see if anyone is cheating.

Anything else you want me to make clear?

Tks.
    Last edited by IcyFox; 02-27-06 at 01:21 AM.