Thread: Sentimental Swordsman: Long Xiaoyun and Plum Thief

Default Sentimental Swordsman: Long Xiaoyun and Plum Thief

According to the movie Sentimental Swordsman (1977), Long Xiaoyun assumed the identity of the Plum Thief that terrorized the martial world. Is this accurate? What is Long Xiaoyun's martial arts level? Also, what exactly did the Plum Thief do?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

You are talking about LXH sworn brother right? If so, I remember Long Xiaoyun martial art are not that high, I think he is average. Also, about the Plum Chief, I don't really remember much because I read the novel very long ago, but I think the Plum Chief are the one who have been raping women recently. Plum Chief is the one who suppose to seeking out Lin Xin Er, but people mistaking LXH as the Plum Chief.

I'm not sure if that help answer your questions, but I hope it does.
    Last edited by thienthien00; 02-20-06 at 10:33 PM.

The Plum Thief is Lin Xian Er.

It's been a while since I read Flying Dagger, but Long Xiaoyun should be the kid, not the father. In that novel, almost everyone claimed to be the Plum Thief at one stage (usually influenced by Lin Xian Er), which is sort of the point of the Plum Thief plot.

What does the Plum Thief do? Screw around, steal valuables, kill people.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Now, that remind me the plot of the novel. If Long Xiaoyun is the kid, then his martial art is not that good. Wasn't his martial art got erase/destroy by LXH?

Also, Ah Fei pretent to be a Plum Thief before so that he could help to clean LXH name right?

1) As candide said, the real Plum Thief is LXE.

There's many ppl who were manipulated by LXE into masquerading as the Plum Thief, who were infamous for stealing valuable objects.

Ah Fei at one stage of the story killed a "Plum Thief" but there were widespread disbelief of the crowd at LXH's old house when they heard about this.

LXH was captured by Shaolin, after being betrayed by his sworn brother, for being suspected as being The Plum Thief.

Ah Fei then, tried to fake several jobs as the work of the plum thief in order to save LXH, again without success.

The Plum Thief never made any more appearance after Ah Fei and LXE retired to live a "simple" life in the first part of the novel.

2) What is the level of Long Xiaoyun?

His martial arts was destroyed by LXH in the early part of the novel, although he regained most of that ability by using the secret scroll that was supposedly left to LXH by ?Night Emperor??

Long Xiaoyun is the kid, but Long Xiaoyun is also the father.

in the 77 SB adaptation they made Long Xiaoyun the plum bandit so they could end it in 1 hour 30mins.

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo
    2) What is the level of Long Xiaoyun?

His martial arts was destroyed by LXH in the early part of the novel, although he regained most of that ability by using the secret scroll that was supposedly left to LXH by ?Night Emperor??
    I thought it was Wong Ling Faa?

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    According to the movie Sentimental Swordsman (1977), Long Xiaoyun assumed the identity of the Plum Thief that terrorized the martial world. Is this accurate? What is Long Xiaoyun's martial arts level? Also, what exactly did the Plum Thief do?
    No, the Plum Thief is not Long Xiaoyun, that is the major ending twist and a change from the novel written by Director Chu Yuan to make the film adaptation more interesting to audiences.
    - WuxiaSociety.org (formerly known as wuxiamania forum) -

----- the society of global wuxia fans ----

At some point, there must have been a real Plum Thief who was neither Lam Sin Yee or Lung Siu Wan. The Plum Thief was said to have terrorized wu-lin forty years before SENTIMENTAL SWORDSMEN, PASSIONLESS SWORD...when Lee Chum Foon would have been a baby. That's too old to be either Lam Sin Yee or Lung Siu Wan (not to mention that neither had martial arts skills even remotely approaching the Plum Thief's alleged skills).

I thought it was implied that LXE's father was the original Plum Thief. Or was I completely off there?

i thought lin xian er was the plum thief... and that long xiao yun could have referred to both father and son.... one was long xiao(3) yun and one was long xiao(4) yun... i think

LXE was the Plum Thief in the story, but I mean the original one who appeared many years before.