Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Life And Times of A Sentinel 《紫禁驚雷》

Default The Life And Times of A Sentinel 《紫禁驚雷》

Title: 紫禁驚雷; literally Frightening Thunder of the Forbidden (City)
    Cantonese/Mandarin: Chi Kam King Lui / Zijin Jinglei
    Producer: Leung Choi-yuen
    Writers: Ng Siu-tung, Sit Kar-wah
    Filming period: November 2010 - February 2011
    Genre: Historical fiction
    filmed in Cantonese
    25 episodes

"Known as the male version of War and Beauty / Beyond the Realm of Conscience / Schemes of a Beauty"

Cast:
    Steven Ma as Nip Dorpo
    Kenneth Ma as the Prince of Yuqin / the Second Imperial Uncle (Aisin-Gioro Fuquan)
    Power Chan as the Kangxi Emperor (Aisin-Gioro Xuanye)
    Selena Li as Chiying (Princess Duanming)
    Natalie Tong as Kwailun
    Elaine Yiu as the Imperial Noble Consort (Mankwan)
    Evergreen Mak as Po Chai
    Ching Hor-wai as Grand Empress Dowager Xiaozhuang
    Tsui Wing as the Prince of Gongqin / the Fifth Imperial Uncle (Aisin-Gioro Changning)
    Rosanne Lui as the Grand Consort
    Grace Wong as Consort Hui
    Christine Kuo as Kinching
    Oceane Zhu as Consort Donggo
    Katy Kung as Fung Sheung-hei
    Lily Ho as Tsuiyuk
    KK Cheung
    Lau Kong
    Felix Lok
    Lai Lok-yi
    Law Lok-lam
    Lo Chun-shun
    Jack Wu
    Samuel Kwok
    Helen Ma
    Stephen Wong
    Deno Cheung
    Ben Wong
    Matthew Ko
    Benjamin Yuen
    Fred Cheng
    Jack Hui, etc.

Notes about the plot:
    - Sunny Chan will guest star as the Shunzhi Emperor, the father of Kangxi. His favorite consort (Donggo) is played by Oceane Zhu.
    - Nip Dor-po (Steven Ma) is the protagonist. He is a third-grade imperial bodyguard who is in charge of protecting Kangxi (Power Chan) and the Grand Empress Dowager (Ching Hor-wai). He is an undercover for the 2nd Imperial Uncle (Kenneth Ma), who he is loyal to.
    - 2nd Imperial Uncle was originally suppose to be made Emperor, but due to the tactics of his grandmother, the emperor position was instead given to Kangxi. He regrets this, and vows to usurp Kangxi's power.
    - Chiying (Selena Li) is (KK Cheung's character) adopted daughter. She imposes as Princess Duanming to kill Kangxi (she is a Ming revolutionist)
    - Nip Dorpo, Chiying, and Fung Sheunghei (Katy Kung) will be in a triangle relationship.
    - 2nd Imperial Uncle marries Kwailun (Natalie Tong) for military power (her father is a naval general). He does not love her.
    - Po Chai (Evergreen Mak) is the head Imperial Guard.
    - Katy Kung and Jack Wu's characters are a romantic pair.
    - Tsuiyuk (Lily Ho) is a Ming revolutionist under (KK Cheung's character) authority. She enters the palace as Chiying's maid. She is exceptionally well at martial arts.
    - Consort Hui (Grace Wong) imitates the deceased empress to gain favor of Kangxi. She is a villain.
    - Both the Imperial Noble Consort (Elaine Yiu) and Consort Hui strive to win Kangxi's favor.
    - Imperial Noble Consort, who later becomes the empress, was 2nd Imperial Uncle's lover before she becomes Kangxi's consort.
    - Chris Lai plays a character in the past.

Facts:
    - Pierre Ngo was originally a part of the original cast, but due to an injury, he got replaced by Jack Wu. Benjamin Yuen replaced Wu's original role.
    - Palace-themed, centers more around the scheming between the male characters than the female characters.
    - Original working title for this drama was "The Imperial Bodyguard"
    Last edited by triumph2004; 12-03-11 at 02:53 AM.

Default Forbidden Thunder (紫禁驚雷)

Episodes: 25

Cast: Steven Ma, Kenneth Ma, Power Chan, Selina Li, Natalie Tong, Evergreen Mak, Sunny Chan, Ching Hor-Wai, Christine Kuo

Plot: The sudden death of the young Shunzhi Emperor (Sunny Chan) shocked the whole kingdom. The second prince, Fuquan (Kenneth Ma), was originally the successor for the throne, but Empress Dowager Xiaozhuang (Ching) changed the successor to the third prince, Xuanye, who subsequently becomes the Kangxi Emperor (Chan). Angry with this, Fuquan dispatchs a spy, Nip Dor-po (Steven Ma), and instructs him to gain Kangxi's trust.
    Favorite shows: E.U., Rosy Business
    Favorite actor: Ron Ng, Wayne Lai
    Favorite actress: Tavia Yeung

Default The Life And Times of A Sentinel (紫禁驚雷)

The Life And Times of A Sentinel - 紫禁驚雷
    Title: 紫禁驚雷
    English title: The Life and Times of a Sentinel
    Cantonese/Mandarin title: Ji Gam Ging Lui
    Genre: Ancient
    Episodes: 25
    Broadcast network: TVB
    Broadcast period: 2011-Jul-25 to 2011-Aug-26
    Cast:
    Steven Ma
    Kenneth Ma
    Sunny Chan
    Ching Hor-wai
    Selena Li
    Natalie Tong
    Power Chan
    Elaine Yiu
    Evergreen Mak
    Felix Lok
    Lau Kong
    Jimmy Au Siu-wai
    Cheung Kwok-keung

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-eTzjIxWeb8E/Ti2OajPRKZI/AAAAAAAAA1U/BHPljlPcmEM/s800/lif.jpg')

Hello ,anyone watching this drama now ,is story line similar to Relic of an Emissary?
    Is Steven Ma Character similar to Michael Tse and Kenneth Ma character similar to Joe Ma
    which mean while Joe ma manage to overthrow the emperor in Relic ,kenneth ma failed to overthrow the emperor?
    Is this drama better than Relic?

Thanks.

a little island east of america and west of europe

Merged a couple of old threads from the production period - might help with your questions.
    I haven't watched this yet, but looks promising...

I have watched up to ep 5 already and I find the storytelling annoying. I hate how it starts off with disjointed fragments of flashbacks that goes on for at least 20 mins where most of the story is revealed. Then we have to start the story all over again where it is very repetitve. And there is also this annoying narrator who tells us what Fu Quan is very happy or very sad as if the audience is brainless and not be able to see that from Kenneth's expression. They should just let the actor do their jobs and the audience feel for themselves what the character is going through.

I find TLATOAS a big let down. It could have told in a more suspenseful way where we find out each character's motives through each episode and be shocked rather than spoonfed information in this silly manner. I also have a big issue with the casting. While Power Chan is a very good actor, he is too old to play KangXi and it cringes to hear him call Kenneth "Second Brother". And Kenneth even with the moustache and everything still looks younger than Power. Steven is getting really old for these young immature roles which he has played repeatedly since maybe 12 years ago.

The girls are really not impressing me in anyway though I don't think they are bad. The dialogue is too modern as well. TVB needs to make up their mind on whether they are aiming to make a classy ancient drama series and how to use the appropriate dialogue. The ending MV is one of the worst I have seen and it looks really cheap and rushed.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    I also have a big issue with the casting. While Power Chan is a very good actor, he is too old to play KangXi and it cringes to hear him call Kenneth "Second Brother". And Kenneth even with the moustache and everything still looks younger than Power. Steven is getting really old for these young immature roles which he has played repeatedly since maybe 12 years ago.
    Kenneth also look younger than Steven even with the moustache. Plus, Kenneth's goofy smile and puppy dog eyes make him unconvincing as a conniving villain.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

I was curious whether Second Prince's baby son really exist in history or not. Turn out he's the first child of Prince Fook Chuen that lived to adulthood. His older brothers and sisters all died in childhood below 6 years old. Poor Prince Fook Chuen.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Kenneth also look younger than Steven even with the moustache. Plus, Kenneth's goofy smile and puppy dog eyes make him unconvincing as a conniving villain.
    No miscast can beat Bosco's gangster role in "Lives of Omission"! I laughed my head off when i saw the trailer!
    Kenneth was a better villian in GUF, which wasn't that great but at least he looked more scarier in there. Some people are just not well-suited to playing villians. Right now, as much i do like Kenneth (I really do), I have to say that Kenneth's evillness is portrayed too outwardly and superficial. He just keeps on smirking and glaring every five minutes. Look at Joe in ROAE and then look at Kenneth in here and you will see a vast difference in portrayal of slyness.

I would have rathered they have let us find out Kenneth was evil as the story moves and the conspiracy was revealed about Ben Wong and Sunny Chan. And gosh, the actress who plays the dead empress with the sword dancing looks terrible! Looks very common and unattractive!
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

I was curious whether Second Prince's baby son really exist in history or not. Turn out he's the first child of Prince Fook Chuen that lived to adulthood. His older brothers and sisters all died in childhood below 6 years old. Poor Prince Fook Chuen.
    Aisin Gioro BaoTai lived till age 49 and carried on the title of Prince Yu.

See here: http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E7%88%...A6%8F%E5%85%A8
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    No miscast can beat Bosco's gangster role in "Lives of Omission"! I laughed my head off when i saw the trailer!
    Kenneth was a better villian in GUF, which wasn't that great but at least he looked more scarier in there. Some people are just not well-suited to playing villians. Right now, as much i do like Kenneth (I really do), I have to say that Kenneth's evillness is portrayed too outwardly and superficial. He just keeps on smirking and glaring every five minutes. Look at Joe in ROAE and then look at Kenneth in here and you will see a vast difference in portrayal of slyness.

I would have rathered they have let us find out Kenneth was evil as the story moves and the conspiracy was revealed about Ben Wong and Sunny Chan. And gosh, the actress who plays the dead empress with the sword dancing looks terrible! Looks very common and unattractive!
    Yes, Kenneth gave me some unexpected comedic effect when he's trying to emote extreme expression.

The funniest part must be where he tearily pleaded with Empress Dowager to forgive him. Also the part where he play the music instrument, he looked possessed rather than you know... remembering his lost love

Instead of choosing a random kelefeh, should ask random 2nd line actresses Janet/Sharon/Nancy to guest star as the dead empress. Even Sunny's dead concubine Donggo is portrayed by a Miss Chinese International; Oceane Zhu.

Quote Originally Posted by sehseh View Post
    Instead of choosing a random kelefeh, should ask random 2nd line actresses Janet/Sharon/Nancy to guest star as the dead empress. Even Sunny's dead concubine Donggo is portrayed by a Miss Chinese International; Oceane Zhu.
    The dead Empress kinda look like that girl that Raymond deceived in 'Twins of Brother'.

The dead Empress kinda look like that girl that Raymond deceived in 'Twins of Brother'.
    You mean Rubyanne Choi? The dead empress is not her, Rubyanne is much much taller.

Great to TVB to give different people a chance at leads.

The Bad:
    - I am moved to think that this would have been straight to video in a different TVB era and only forcefed to overseas viewers

- I have never in my life been able to take the actress who plays Empress Dowager seriously since watching her in ROCH as a child - its like watching Hannah Barbara cartoon play dramatic

- Power Chan - 43; Kenneth Ma - 37; Steven Ma - 39
    Fuquan is 8 years older than Kangxi (??) - I think all three men are playing at least 10-15 years past the right age range...

- The storytelling is jarring - kinda need to watch the show with your laptop open with wiki available if you are not the least familiar with Qing history

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120 View Post
    - Power Chan - 43; Kenneth Ma - 37; Steven Ma - 39
    Fuquan is 8 years older than Kangxi (??) - I think all three men are playing at least 10-15 years past the right age range...
    According to history, Fuquan was only 1 year older than Kangxi. In the series, the 2 kids playing the 2 princes also don't look that far apart in age. But, Duo Bo should be at least 6 years younger than Kangxi since he's still a baby when Kangxi became emperor at the age of 7.

So, I agree with you. All are is at the wrong age.
    Last edited by kidd; 08-01-11 at 10:33 PM.

I really have to complain about Grace Wong. She is totally wrong in this role! Not only is her speech all wrong, she looks awkward and strange in Manchurian costume. Lady Wai is supposed to be conniving and two-faced but Grace just wants to make me slap when she opens her mouth and just reads her lines. Why was she given this role?

Not very intrigued by the so-called "conspiracy" in the palace.
    Cyril Connolly

Anyone know if the incident in the series actually happened or hinted that there was a possible coup? If Fu Chuan did start a coup against KangXi, I cannot see how KangXi will allow Fu Chuan to live (no matter how magnanimous KangXi is).

My major complaint is how the story or the actress portrays Empress XiaoZhuang. She is the empress that raised two emperors, during the political turmoil of the Qing's invasion into China. There is no way she will be so easily manipulated by Fu Chuan and act like such a petty vengeful old lady.

I think I have decided that this is lazy cut and paste of Relic of Emissary with some scenes that are blatant "FIND and REPLACE" on the script. I keep on watching thinking it might get better storywise....well at least I'm not so bored that I quit watching...

Lady Wai is supposed to be conniving and two-faced but Grace just wants to make me slap when she opens her mouth and just reads her lines. Why was she given this role?
    Is Lady Wai a real character in history? I tried looking her up in Wikipedia, but I didn't find her name under Kangxi's concubines. Agree that Grace is unfit for this role. She should real polish her Canto before starring in any costume drama. However, I think it's her makeup that makes her look horrible in the Qing costume. Too much eyeliner and red lipstick. But I think TVB had the intention of carrying out her evil look via the intense makeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Liling View Post
    Is Lady Wai a real character in history? I tried looking her up in Wikipedia, but I didn't find her name under Kangxi's concubines. Agree that Grace is unfit for this role. She should real polish her Canto before starring in any costume drama. However, I think it's her makeup that makes her look horrible in the Qing costume. Too much eyeliner and red lipstick. But I think TVB had the intention of carrying out her evil look via the intense makeup.
    There was a Lady Hui for Emperor Kangxi, and she was the mother of the First Prince and from humble Manchurian origins. But this is not the Lady Wai that is played by Grace in here. Her character is totally made up for a girl with Han origins can never be and Imperial Consort, not to mention aspiring Empress. I think she just looks weird and too modern with the heavy make up.
    Cyril Connolly

TVB seems to be very confused about the concubine hierachy. A Consort (Fei) is miles inferior in ranking to a Imperial Noble Consort (Huang Gui Fei). And what is with all these Han women becoming Consorts? Han women under Manchurian identity can only become Low-ranked Concubines (Shu Fei) where they are not given a title and only known by their surname. Considering that this early Qing where racism is high, a Han woman cannot become a Consort or even dream of becoming an Empress.

The Manchurians were very stict about their princes not being reared by their mothers so they grow up stronger and more decisive so I don't get the plot about Lady Chan, who is a Han BTW, rearing two princes in her palace. Princes are taken away days after their birth and reared by nannies to follow a strict education cirriculum. They are only allowed to see their mother at festivities or until after 12 (I think or was it 10?).

This series is all messed up!
    Cyril Connolly