Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPL Sha Po Lang

Banned

Default SPL Sha Po Lang

OMG this movie kicked some serious ***... sure the story is kinda simple and lame, but the action WOW!

Donnie Yen and Sammo Hung, two of the greats.

Though I do not believe that Yen can just toss Hung like that, momentum or not....

Quote Originally Posted by Panadol
    OMG this movie kicked some serious ***... sure the story is kinda simple and lame, but the action WOW!

Donnie Yen and Sammo Hung, two of the greats.

Though I do not believe that Yen can just toss Hung like that, momentum or not....
    hmmm never heard of this movie but if you are recomenting it i am 100 % sure i will not like it, the reason is because the above sound very violence to me.

This movie is nice.

Although the story is sometimes hard to believe. But the action more than makes up for it. Not recommended for children though, its violent.

i'm going to rent it today...my sweetheart Donnie Yen is in it...heard about the duel between Donnie and Wu Jing...looking forward to it.

It's one of the best modern day Kung Fu movies that came out from Hong Kong in the last 5 years. The movie is bloody and filled with raw, streetfight types Kung Fu, the mood is also very dark and serious. Not for children or those who are shy from violence.

You basically watch it for two scenes :

Donnie Yen vs Wu Jing (raw fight with no pre-shot fight choreography, the director told both martial artists to go for it without any camera cuts and intervention, it's brutal, bloody, fast and raw)

Donnie Yen vs Sammo Hung (first time ever, Sammo still can move like he used to, at least he was able to keep up with Donnie Yen. Donnie Yen pulled some UFC (Brazillian Jujitsu armbar locks and other joint manipulation/grappling techniques) never seen before in HK kung fu movies.

Buy it !

This movie kind of sucked. I would consider it an above average movie if it was 10 years ago. However, after having seen Tom Yoong Gum my expectations of martial arts movies have gone up 10 fold. This movie and the Myth both sucked. When are they going to film a real good martial arts movie that's just action packed.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

Quote Originally Posted by Bai Qi44
    This movie kind of sucked. I would consider it an above average movie if it was 10 years ago. However, after having seen Tom Yoong Gum my expectations of martial arts movies have gone up 10 fold. This movie and the Myth both sucked. When are they going to film a real good martial arts movie that's just action packed.
    Toom Yoong Gum is great but you don't get the raw (non-choreographed) fight as in SPL between Donnie Yen and Wu Jing. The baton vs short knife fight was as good as it gets.

The highlight of Toom Yoom Gum is the fight in the hotel/restaurant, where the camera rolls without interruption following Tony Jaa from the back and continues from the ground floor until he entered the restaurant to fight the Tae Kwon Do guy and beat his *** real bad. But the fight is not as brutal/raw as the Donnie vs Wu Jing in SPL. SPL rose it up a notch. The fight Donnie vs Wu Jing is shot without any interruption or choreographed.

Even the fight with the Wushu guy, Chapoera, and the huge white guy were choreographed and slowed down. The ending fight where Tony Jaa fights with over 100 white guys were also choreographed and not realistic, he fought them one on one and some of them looked fake and slowed down a lot.

WU Jing lơơked so gơod in this one with his knife. I love both of his knife scenes.

if u guys want, u can watch the fighting scene in youtube.

yeah, i agree. Tom Yum Goong, the fight scenes are good.. but at some scenes.. it doesn't look real, for the choreopgrahy. In tony's first movie, Ong Baak, tho fight scenes were stilll good, i got annoyed at the camera flashing back and replaying the same thing over and over again.

plus, Tom Yum Goog's story <<<<<<<<<< SPL's story

TYG was just a movie to watch action. I thought SPL was something a bit more

Spl's story was quite good. I liked how it relates to the title how everyone of those three people had potential to be good people, depending on what they do and their actions. Sammo, even thought he was the bad guy, had potential to be a good guy. The good guys, Simon and Donnei, had potentional to become bad guys based on their acions.

It is sad to see how each turned out based on what they did. Their actions caused people around them to suffer as well.
    Last edited by Sugar; 03-16-06 at 04:43 PM.
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

I think Ken Chang(the cop that was waiting for the gun) should've gotten more of a fight against Wu Jing. It was a waste considering the guy did had skills in Vampire Hunters and Sunshine Cops. Him fighting Wu Jing toe to toe would've been cool. But the fight was already over when Wu Jing threw a knife into his arm and used him for knife practice....damn letdown.

And there wasn't enough of Sammo showing his skills, and it's obvious Donnie kinda glorified his own fighting since he's the one in charge of the fight choreography. Like in the last fight between Sammo and Donnie, it became obvious by the middle that Donnie is getting the upperhand and Sammo became a punching bag. I'd rather see a more even fight.

But movie was really good because of the story and performances by the actors, even the supporting ones. It's always nice to see pissed off cops and violent criminals bash each to death.

But Damn you Donnie Yen!! It could've been a even better movie.
    Last edited by SkineePanda; 03-22-06 at 04:20 AM.
    Underneath the fluffly, cudly exterior lies the tormented and complex creature known as the panda.

SPL rocked. Gool old HK style choreo. As good as Tony Jaa is, his movies are pretty crap. Don't get me wrong, he is a AMAZING performer and has unbelievable skills but the choreo in his movies really bores me. It's just him elbowing and kneeing ppl. I wish there was more handwork and more of a good fight in his movies.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

The duel between Donnie Yen and Wu Jing is worth the price alone.

Throw in the showdown between Donnie Yen and Sammo Hung and it's worth the price of 2 movies.

My only complain is the outcome of the final showdown.

Quote Originally Posted by almo89
    SPL rocked. Gool old HK style choreo. As good as Tony Jaa is, his movies are pretty crap. Don't get me wrong, he is a AMAZING performer and has unbelievable skills but the choreo in his movies really bores me. It's just him elbowing and kneeing ppl. I wish there was more handwork and more of a good fight in his movies.

i feel ya on the kneeing and elbowing ppl in tony jaa's movies. i told my husband the same thing.

i actually really like spl, even thought the fight between sammo and donnie could have been longer and even better because yes, it does seem like donnie got the upper hand too quick. it was way better than any of tony jaa's two movies. tony jaa performs well; i don't feel that he's fighting as much as performing in his moves.

and yes, wu jing was hot in this one. i did wish he had more people to fight than just donnie although the fight was awesome!
    ---------
    Shellie

I've never like Wu Jing from the first movie I've seen him in many years ago. I can't give a reason for it. I just don't like him. But somehow, after seeing him as this vicious kickass assasin, I really like him. Haha, sometimes evilness can be so attractive.

Anyway, does anyone has any theory on how Simon's character get out alive?
    Last edited by kidd; 06-11-06 at 09:27 PM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by SkineePanda
    I think Ken Chang(the cop that was waiting for the gun) should've gotten more of a fight against Wu Jing. It was a waste considering the guy did had skills in Vampire Hunters and Sunshine Cops. Him fighting Wu Jing toe to toe would've been cool. But the fight was already over when Wu Jing threw a knife into his arm and used him for knife practice....damn letdown.
    I agree. It's such a waste when the actor actually knows martial art. The action director should have made use of his martial art skills more.

A bit OT. Is 'Vampire Hunters' a good movie to watch?
    Last edited by kidd; 06-11-06 at 09:29 PM.

........Ending Spoiler. Please don't read if u haven't seen the movie.......

Quote Originally Posted by IcyFox
    My only complain is the outcome of the final showdown.
    I like the outcome of the final showdown. It's very unexpected and shocking. Different from other kungfu movies where the hero always win and always comes out alive. Who would have thought that he would die?

It was inevitable from the start when the doctors told him.
    Wu Jing vs Donnie Yen was the highlight

Quote Originally Posted by strife_au
    It was inevitable from the start when the doctors told him.
    Wu Jing vs Donnie Yen was the highlight
    I'm not talking about that 'hero'. That 'hero' was not involved in the final showdown. I'm talking about the other hero that was involved in the final showdown.

From your respond, I suspect that you might have watched the politically correct version shown in Malaysia and China. Maybe Singapore also showed that version.

SPL has 2 endings. One ending was specifically made for moralistic countries like Malaysia and China. The other is the true ending of the movie.
    Last edited by kidd; 06-11-06 at 10:11 PM.

Sha Po Lang refers to three stars, each representing a person's personality and fate, in Chinese astrology - Qi Sha, Po Jun and Tan Lang, or Killing, Obliteration and Avarice.
    Wilson Yip further elaborates that the film title Sha Po Lang is derived from three malignant stars from Chinese astrology, and they represent the personalities of the three leading roles, "Seven Kills, Destructive General and Avaricious Wolf denote obliteration, aggressive competition, and greed respectively, but they aren't necessarily malignant stars. The alignment of the three stars under certain circumstances may lead to some unexpected, wondrous occurrence."
    Which stars do your think represent which personalities?

Sammo's character is most probably represented by Tan Lang. But I can't figure out the other 2.

Quote Source: http://www.wu-jing.org/filmography/SPL-Sha-Po-Lang.php

What happened in the final showdown?

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    I'm not talking about that 'hero'. That 'hero' was not involved in the final showdown. I'm talking about the other hero that was involved in the final showdown.

From your respond, I suspect that you might have watched the politically correct version shown in Malaysia and China. Maybe Singapore also showed that version.

SPL has 2 endings. One ending was specifically made for moralistic countries like Malaysia and China. The other is the true ending of the movie.
    wats the true ending?
    The one I saw is Simon Yam died at the very end.