Thread: Isn't Chow Bak Tung the most unlikely person to learn Left/Right Hand Technique?

Default Isn't Chow Bak Tung the most unlikely person to learn Left/Right Hand Technique?

The Left/Right Hand Technique, when you think about it, is all about focus. It takes focus to have your left and right hands doing two completely different activities simultaneously. That's why supremely focused people such as Gwok Jing (who became Mongolia's greatest archer next to Jebeh) and Little Dragon Girl (who could endure long periods of isolation without any detriment to her mental health) were successful at it while notoriously unfocused people such as Wong Yung couldn't hope to learn it. That being the case, isn't it extremely unlikely that Chow Bak Tung would be able to use the Left/Right Hand Technique...much less CREATE it? Chow Bak Tung had the attention span of a toddler with ADD. There's no way he had the focus to use something like the Left/Right Hand Technique.

Perhaps the best way to describe Chow Bak Tung is that he's an idiot savant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Chow Bak Tung had the attention span of a toddler with ADD. There's no way he had the focus to use something like the Left/Right Hand Technique.
    He's the total opposite of that when it comes to martial arts. He lives and breathes it.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

ZBT has only 2 interest, he loves playing around and learning new martial arts.
    Thats why he is even willing to be GJ and YG disciple just to learn their skills. With such interest, it should be no surprise that he is able to come up with the l/r technique

Also, don't forget that the origin of the L/R technique wasn't a serious one. ZBT came up with it while trying to get his left arm to fight his right arm for fun. He totally focused on trying to get that to work, as he had nothing better to do in that cave.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

ZBT despite being playful, is able to focus when he needs to. This can be seen from how he competed with one monk to see who can sit still the longest. Therefore, i dont think he only has an attention span of toddler.

IMO, when it come to learning new things, kids are more able than an adult. Kids' mind are far simpler, and not as complex as adults who are probably preoccupied with their lives. They are the one who know what stress, sadness, and feeling of hopelessness is.

I think there is saying "that you can't teach an old dog new tricks." or something like that. But an adult would be more able to interpreted information to a greater depth than a kid can.
    Last edited by TaiHan; 12-13-05 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TaiHan
    IMO, when it come to learning new things, kids are more able than an adult. Kids' mind are far simpler, and not as complex as adults who are probably preoccupied with their lives. They are the one who know what stress, sadness, and feeling of hopelessness is.

I think there is saying "that you can't teach an old dog new tricks." or something like that. But an adult would be more able to interpreted information to a greater depth than a kid can.
    good pt. i agree with your analysis.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

zhuo bvutong is one of the stranger beings in wuxia. after reaching the age of hundred, he gets stronger instead of weaker. he has learned the best of QZ and 9yin(through he claims otherwise) and has created his own two unique techniques, mind dividing skill and vacnt fist. he may not be inferior to haung seng,possibly superior because he's claimed superior to the other four experts at the end of ROCH, including guo jing who has mastered the full of 9yin. how clever or weird he is no one cansay for sure.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

He would have loved the Sweeper Monk.

possibly superior because he's claimed superior to the other four experts at the end of ROCH
    Wait, what? Even if he's the new center, that doesn't necessarily mean he's the strongest.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse
    Wait, what? Even if he's the new center, that doesn't necessarily mean he's the strongest.
    I believe even Huang Yaoshi said Chou Botong was the strongest at the end of ROCH.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen
    I believe even Huang Yaoshi said Chou Botong was the strongest at the end of ROCH.
    Zhou Botong also loves martial arts more than the other greats in the LOCH and ROCH...
    ..ext88

Quote Originally Posted by kyss of the sword
    zhuo bvutong is one of the stranger beings in wuxia. after reaching the age of hundred, he gets stronger instead of weaker. he has learned the best of QZ and 9yin(through he claims otherwise) and has created his own two unique techniques, mind dividing skill and vacnt fist. he may not be inferior to haung seng,possibly superior because he's claimed superior to the other four experts at the end of ROCH, including guo jing who has mastered the full of 9yin. how clever or weird he is no one cansay for sure.
    Even Guo JIng mastered full 9 Yin, he is not MUCH better than the other Greats. Is 9Yin "that" powerful?

Zhou Bo Tong is one impressive character in wuxia entire arena. He is funny but yet he is wise. I would never imagine him to be a person who can create a student (Yelu Qi)-let alone imagine when he was trying to explain the martial art theory to his student.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen

I doubt it. Any margin that exists would still be small right now (although it's possible that ZBT was already slightly better).

“Old Urchin, you are great!” said Huang Yao Shi. “For me fame is nothing. For Reverend Yi Deng, it is emptiness. You are not like that. Your heart is free. You are superior to us.
    It's a translation but the context is clearly about the state and character of ZBT.

Even Guo JIng mastered full 9 Yin, he is not MUCH better than the other Greats. Is 9Yin "that" powerful?
    Considering that it allowed him to reach great status in his 30s without any real power boosts, I'd say that it was. Even YG needed a heavy dose of snake bladders.

thot for YG it was training in the sea??
    TaZzY InC

Training in the sea for 16 years refined his internal energy and it grew into the monstrous force he had. However, it would've been completely useless if he didn't have (a) a pure QZ internal energy base (b) a huge overdose of snake bladders super boosting his internal energy.

He would've been squashed by the waves and we'd never hear of YG again =/

(a) a pure QZ internal energy base

Hmm are you sure about this? From what I remember there was no specific part that showed Yg using QZ inner power cultivation. I remember one part when he was fighting against LMC he was using QZ swordsmanship, but even then the breathging technqiues he used were all from GMP not QZ.
    wow..04-08....4 years just like that..time flies..

Hmm, I'll have to read it up again. But I think you're right.

Nonetheless, LCY's internal energy method isn't something to laugh at either