Thread: Why is it that the media still discuss stars that no longer exist?

Question Why is it that the media still discuss stars that no longer exist?

Every year, we hear talks about Princess Diary's death, and sometimes about Elvis Presley as well. I know that they shouldn't be forgotten but at the same time, wouldn't we want our beloved stars to REST IN PEACE?

Never heard of princess diary. Or do you mean princess diana?
    Last edited by soccerfeva; 02-24-06 at 04:06 PM.

oops, typo error.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterl0us
    Every year, we hear talks about Princess Diary's death, and sometimes about Elvis Presley as well. I know that they shouldn't be forgotten but at the same time, wouldn't we want our beloved stars to REST IN PEACE?
    u got a problem? so when ur parent die....do u remember them? o u the kind of person tat don't care much about them? b/c both of them do something great....remembering them is the best way to honor some1 who pass away.......

So according to you, because we want George Washington/Genghis Khan to rest in peace, we do not want Da Vinci/Shakespeare to turn in their graves, no one should talk about them?

Wow, you are so smart.

Quote Originally Posted by foreva
    So according to you, because we want George Washington/Genghis Khan to rest in peace, we do not want Da Vinci/Shakespeare to turn in their graves, no one should talk about them?

Wow, you are so smart.
    i'll answer for tat person.....thanks...i'm smart

Quote Originally Posted by foreva

Wow, you are so smart.
    i don't live in america, and so that's why i don't understand the history. but anyway, your getting the wrong idea.. what i'm saying is.. if someone died, and they don't to be to disturbed, why disturb them for?

Quote Originally Posted by mysterl0us
    i don't live in america, and so that's why i don't understand the history. but anyway, your getting the wrong idea.. what i'm saying is.. if someone died, and they don't to be to disturbed, why disturb them for?
    how can we disturb them when we using their name? we don't bring their bones out in the open........n how do u know they don't want to be disturb? did they come into ur dream n tell u how horrible it have been b/c their name was used everyday?

I think mysterious is talking about the constantly reminding people of the scandals of dead people. Like Elvis and his weight, Diana and her affairs, the rumours about Graham Kennedy dying of AIDs (not true) etc..

Anyway, I think it is okay to talk bad stuff about dead people if it is true, since we should gain a good and fair perspective of a person (like we should talk about how Hitler is such a jerk).

But if one is profitting millions about it (like the butler writing Diana books) or it is fake rumours (like the recent ridiculous stuff about Barbara Yung idiotic people ), then we shouldn't.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

People who have some form of lasting impact upon culture will be a continuing source of fascination and edification for future generations. That's why people aspire to fame. None of our bodies will live forever, but our actions might cause our names and identities to live long after our bodies have perished.

Much of human achievement has rested upon this aspiration.