Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend Wuxia series

Default Recommend Wuxia series

Could anyone recommend good wuxia series to read? Not the usual JY or GL.... thanks!
    "Most men are of naught more use in their lives but as machines for turning food into shit."

-- Miles Vorkosigan quoting his grandfather (Lois McMaster Bujold, "Memory")

Romance of the Three Kingdoms
    Water Margin
    Seven Swords (Liang Yu Sheng)

Journey to the West, Star Wars and Celestial Zone if you consider them Wuxia fiction.

Can try Liang Yusheng's 云海玉钩缘 or Old White Maiden (Bai fan mo nu zhuan), quite nice too
    ..ext88

TommyH
    Unregistered

Lethal Weapons of Love and Passion

or is that not a wuxia series? lol

黄鹰-大侠沈胜衣, 惊魂六记 (one of it is writen by Gulong 血鹦鹉)
    温瑞安-白衣方振眉
    梁羽生-萍踪侠影

actually Gulong has many nice novels, u should try them... wanna me recommend some?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic_Viper
    actually Gulong has many nice novels, u should try them... wanna me recommend some?
    I would like to know all the Gu Long novels in chronological order, but in the internet and library unable to find.
    ..ext88

Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88
    I would like to know all the Gu Long novels in chronological order, but in the internet and library unable to find.
    That's certainly hard... i mean really HARD! maybe u should PM TigerWong, the Gulong Professional. i remember there's a thread like this long time ago before this site is back from service.
    仁。智。义。信。礼。忠。孝。悌。忍
    慈。慧。气。念。仪。实。心。情。耐

Thanks alot anyway, btw which GL novels would you recommend?
    ..ext88

My Gulong's favorites are Juedai Shuangjiao, Xiaoli Feidao (Duqing Jianke Wuqing Jian). As for other Wuxia novelist, I really recommend Huangyi's Datang Shuanglong Zhuan (Twins of Brothers, TVB series English name). It's probably the longest novel I've ever read (about 7,000 pages). The story drags on a bit here and there, but overall it's one of my favorite Wuxia novels.

Some information on Huang Yi? How are his novels compared to LYS, JY or GL.
    ..ext88

Thanks alot anyway, btw which GL novels would you recommend?
    beisdes all the usual ones Chu Liu Xiang, Lu Xiao Feng etc., i recommend Wan花洗剑录,情人箭,大旗英雄传,名剑风流,武林外史,决不低头,血鹦鹉, 白玉老虎. Especially the last 3. although they may not be better than these mentioned before, but they are certainly VERY unique, i love them alot. actually there're still alot i didn't mention... but still, i have mentioned alot =)
    仁。智。义。信。礼。忠。孝。悌。忍
    慈。慧。气。念。仪。实。心。情。耐

Quote Originally Posted by Vic_Viper
    黄鹰-大侠沈胜衣, 惊魂六记 (one of it is writen by Gulong 血鹦鹉)
    温瑞安-白衣方振眉
    梁羽生-萍踪侠影

Yes! Please recommend some nice GL's wuxia. Is 三少爷的剑 also by GL? I don't like that one.
    "Most men are of naught more use in their lives but as machines for turning food into shit."

Quote Originally Posted by tinac
    Could anyone recommend good wuxia series to read? Not the usual JY or GL.... thanks!
    quite honestly, there's not much outside of JY and GL in my humble opinion. I will rate LYS's work as comparable to the lower tier JY. (Of the few that I read) Stylistically, he never seemed to have experimented much with his writing. That's why I consider him to be quite boring as a writer. And if you want some lower tier GL clones, you can try Wen Rui An.

Some information on Huang Yi? How are his novels compared to LYS, JY or GL.
    His writing skill is probably high school level, entry college level at best. Yet for some reason, insanely popular. His novels are long and bland (like Da Tang), and sometimes down right trashy (like Fu Yu Fan Yun, of which after 10, 20 chapters into it, I realized it's just pure garbage). If you want to give him a try, go with Xun Qin Ji. Despite exhibiting all the usual lack of quality, it is an ingenious story concept.
    Last edited by dan J; 03-08-06 at 09:57 AM.
    It means you got eyes like apostrophes, you dress white, talk black, and drive Jew. So how am I supposed to know what kind of zipperhead dog-munching dink you are if you don't?

Watch the drama Xun Qun Ji before, is it the same as the novel.. Going to read this novel..
    ..ext88

Try this: http://www.wuxiapedia.com/authors/gu_long/works
    It's in English.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

TommyH
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by dan J
    quite honestly, there's not much outside of JY and GL in my humble opinion. I will rate LYS's work as comparable to the lower tier JY. (Of the few that I read) Stylistically, he never seemed to have experimented much with his writing. That's why I consider him to be quite boring as a writer. And if you want some lower tier GL clones, you can try Wen Rui An.

His writing skill is probably high school level, entry college level at best. Yet for some reason, insanely popular. His novels are long and bland (like Da Tang), and sometimes down right trashy (like Fu Yu Fan Yun, of which after 10, 20 chapters into it, I realized it's just pure garbage). If you want to give him a try, go with Xun Qin Ji. Despite exhibiting all the usual lack of quality, it is an ingenious story concept.
    Fook Yu Fan Wun isn't really crap even though I haven't read the novel. The series was really good and I think it's one of the best wuxia series I ever watched alongside LOCH, ROCH, and HSDS.

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi
    Thanks a lot, HuangYushi...
    ..ext88

Quote Originally Posted by tinac
    Yes! Please recommend some nice GL's wuxia. Is 三少爷的剑 also by GL? I don't like that one.
    I thought you didn't want the usual JY or GL?

Liang Yu Sheng

The Legend of Demonic White Hair Maiden (Bai Fa Mo Nu Zhuan)
    The Tale of a Wandering Hero (Ping Zong Xia Ying Lu)
    The Jade Bow Connection (Yun Hai Yu Gong Yuan)
    Seven Swordsman Leaving Mt Heaven (Qi Jian Xia Tian Shan) story about Yu Lou Cha's, Yu MingKe's, Zhou Yi Hang's students

Quote Originally Posted by KJ
    I thought you didn't want the usual JY or GL?
    Well, I actually haven't read any of this works but watched a lot of the adaptations and don't like most of them...so, i have some reservations on this works. Since everyone is recommending, I am giving it a try.