Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast

Thread: Smiling Proud Wanderer

np efflix =)

This is the reason why that joke is running around in Wulin.

YBQ's nickname is Gentleman Sword. The word gentleman (noble) that is used in his nickname is 君子 (jun zi). While the word hypocrite is 伪君子 (wei jun zi). So there's only a 1 word difference between those two words. How easy is that to mock him?

Quote Originally Posted by viesef
    That was AWESOME THANKS pokit

I really admire GMF's skills but his attitude( so kind ) is just too much he shouldn't have tried to help Yu Cangchai i wouldn't

It's getting more more exciting every minute Thanks guy and gals..

Love ya

Master FengZhang is a buddhist monk with strong beliefs, thats why no matter what he helped that dwarf.

Even I wouldn't help that Yu dwarf, but then again I'm not a monk nor am I buddhist or any other religion.

Many people allow their strongest belief to guide what they do in life. Its called 'the condition of their spirit'. So we can't really judge him.

It takes a great deal of courage and dedication and strong belief to be 'able to take a bullet' for someone. Just by saying loudly that you would sacrifice your life in order to save someone doesn't necessarrilly give you the courage to actually jump in front of someone who was being shot at. You still need to REALLY and TRUELY believe it.

Even here, a person like YQB claims he is a gentleman and would help others, and though Yu CangChai's sect isn't part of the 5MSA, his school is still considered part of the good schools, so if YQB claimed who he is shouldn't he have tried to help Yu CangChai?

Lets take an example from another source, something you all would be familiar with. The movie Air Force One.

Near the end of that movie, when the MiGs were attacking AF1 and one of them had fired a missile and AF1 had ran out of counter measures, one USAF pilot flew his plane into the path of that missile, flew his plane into a danger zone which he knew would result in his death. There aren't that many people in the world today (probably no more then 5 percent of the world population) would be willing to commit such an act of sacrifice.

Or during a childbirth, a mother asks the doctor to save the life of her child before her own life.

Same thing here, the instant RWX changed his attack to Yu CangChai, Master FengZhang didn't consider anything, he just instantly moved to attack RWX leaving himself open to RWX's trick. FZ didn't care about getting injured, he just cared about saving someone whom his innermost religious belief said 'should always help others'.
    Last edited by MysteriouX; 08-25-06 at 04:15 AM.

Wow! I take a short vacation and you guys add another five pages! ^^;;
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodflowers
    I am the one who has to apologize. I was anything but clear. [snip] I avoid writing too much, beacause I have the annoying habit of doing so, and because my domain of the written language is far too often not sufficient to make my point clear enough (both in english as well as in my native language). There was never anything to debate. You are right in what you said. I was just trying to point out that you seemed to be a bit too forgiving (in my humble opinion).
    First, I believe it's my turn to apologize for the late reply. Real Life's been keeping me very, very busy.

As someone who tends toward long essays once she gets going, I say you should quit worrying and write as much or as little as you want! What are message boards for, if not to express your opinions and swap ideas with people who have the same interests as you? I often can't get my point across in my first post either but a few back-and-forth exchanges clear things right up. Even when it turns out there was nothing to argue about--and this happens a lot to me--I find a certain satisfaction in knowing where I and others stand on a topic. Our short not-debate was interesting and a lot of fun for me, and I hope you feel likewise.

You're right that I may have been too forgiving of bad translations, but... Well, I figure most official translations are limited by time and money, and I can forgive that. Sort of. Why TPTB don't hire out translations to skilled fans, who would likely be glad to contribute, I don't know.
    Have you considered writing a book? You seem to spend so much time thinking on the intrincacies of the plot that you'd probably be comfortable cooking up one of your own.
    You mean my own wuxia novel? I could if, er, I knew more about Chinese culture than what I've seen in various TV series and had any talent for writing at all. Thank you anyways for the compliment.
    Quote Originally Posted by pokit
    One person said, "Those demons' skills are not bad. We surrounded them from all directions like an iron pail but they still escaped down the hill."

"It seems that there's a secret tunnel from the top of the mountain going all the way to the bottom. Otherwise, how could they have managed to escape?" another person replied.

"I don't think there's any tunnel here. I've been in this temple for more than twenty years already, but I've never heard of any secret tunnel going down to the bottom of the mountain," another person added.

"It's called a secret. Of course not many people know about it," one of the earlier persons said.
    LOL! This bit of dialogue always cracks me up. Most of the time the story and we readers are concerned with only the top-tiered martial artists, and it's refreshing to occasionally get the perspective of the average wulin inhabitant. It's been an exciting month or two for everyone in Shaolin, and I'm sure plenty of tongues are wagging. The Demon Cult vassals and the female disciples of Hengshan are not the only ones gossiping about LHC and RYY.

One general comment: In some ways, I think RWX's long conversation with the masters of the orthodox schools plays out better on the screen than on the page. Given good acting and direction, of course. Though there are a number of witty word plays, IMO, what really makes the scene is how the reader imagines the tone and body language of the characters based on what's implied in the text. If you read the scene straight, without adding any inflections to the dialogue or picturing what the characters might be doing beyond what's written, it comes off a bit stiff. There are long passages of dialogue--almost soliloquies--without any description, and the descriptions given are very sparing. For example, YBQ not being able to say a word in response to XWT mocking him as a hypocrite. What about his expression? Or his posture? Anything to indicate how he might have felt. All of this would naturally be in an actor's performance.

OTOH, there are the fights. Described in great detail in the novel, almost all the strategy and tactics are lost when these make the transition to the screen.

Strangely enough, LOTR is the exact opposite in adapting book dialogue and action for film. Tolkien's dialogues, e.g. the Council of Elrond, are packed with information, descriptions and history, that weren't included or didn't come across in the film whereas his sparse action sequences were expanded to half-hour extravaganzas. That wicked battle with orcs and cave troll in FOTR? IIRC, maybe one page in the novel, with sentences like "Aragorn and Boromir slew many orcs."

Well, um, I thought that was interesting. Are dialogue and action so different that it'll always be a case of being able to convey one and not the other?
    Last edited by Yeade; 09-01-07 at 05:46 PM.
    The fact is I think I am a verb instead of a personal pronoun. A verb is anything that signifies to be, to do, or to suffer. I signify all three.

Ren Woxing was leaning his back on the wooden pillar and sluggishly striking his palm out to block every fist and kick from Zuo Lengchan. Zuo Lengchan was a proud person. If it was any other time, he would not have fought Ren Woxing after his opponent had just fought with Shaolin School's number one master. He knew that this was a cheap behaviour and not something that a master of a school would do. Instead, this behaviour was something that people would condemn. But Ren Woxing used dishonest means and took advantage of Great Master Fangzheng's kind heart to defeat him and this made everyone really angry. When Zuo Lengchan disregarded his own safety and boldly attacked, everyone there regarded that he did this because of righteous anger and did not care that he fought the enemy in succession without giving him a necessary pause. This was a once in a thousand years opportunity for Zuo Lengchan. Xiang Wentian saw that Ren Woxing did not have a chance to draw breath yet so he rushed besides the pillar. "Big leader Zuo, you're receiving such a kindness, aren't you ashamed? I'll fight with you."

Zuo Lengchan replied, "Wait till I flatten this Ren first then I'll fight you. Do you think old man here is afraid to fight you in succession?" With a shout, he struck a fist out towards Ren Woxing.

Ren Woxing lifted his left hand up and coldly said, "Brother Xiang, step back!"

Xiang Wentian knew that Chief liked to outdo others so he did not dare to disobey him. "Alright, I'll retreat for now. But this Zuo is too shameless, so I want to kick his butt." With a kick, he flew out behind Zuo Lengchan and booted at his bottom.

Zuo Lengchan was indignant. "Two against one?" He sneered as he slanted his body to avoid the kick. How could he have known that even though Xiang Wentian raised his leg, he did not kick it out. He merely raised his right leg up and lightly moved it. When Xiang Wentian saw that Zuo Lengchan was fooled, he laughed loudly. "Bastard grandson relies on numbers to win." He then leapt back to stand besides Yingying.

As soon as he was let off, Zuo Lengchan resumed his attack against Ren Woxing. When masters fight, the difference between them would be small. When Ren Woxing was freed for a time, he drew a deep breath and regulated his qi smoothly. His vigor was greatly roused after this.

"Peng, peng, peng" as he struck three palms out. Zuo Lengchan exerted his power to protect himself and he was secretly shocked. "I haven't met this old man for more than ten years and his skill has greatly improved. I must use all of my power today if I want to win."

This was the second time these two people had fought. This fight was a fight to the death in front of the masters in Jianghu. The two of them regarded the winning and losing of this fight to be very serious unlike the fight between Ren Woxing and Great Master Fangzheng which was peaceful.

As soon as Ren Woxing was re-energised, all his moves were killing moves. Both of his hands changed to knife-forms and he started hacking down. Zuo Lengchan kept changing his hand from fist into palm into a grab into a seize. This was the strong point of his palm move. The two people were getting quicker as they fought. Linghu Chong's eyes were just seeing patterns as he watched the fight from behind the wooden signage. When he was watching the fight between Ren Woxing and Great Master Fangzheng, he did not understand the essences of their martial art, but he unexpectedly also did not understand the extremely fast moves from these two people.

He turned his eyes towards Yingying and noticed her snow white complexion. She had her eyes lowered and he could see her long eyelashes hanging down. There was no amazement or worry on her face. Xiang Wentian's face was sometimes happy and sometimes worried. In a moment, it changed into doubt. In another moment, it changed into regret. Another moment, it changed into an angry glare. It was as if he was personally fighting this battle. Linghu Chong thought, "Brother Xiang's experience is much higher compared to Yingying. Looking at him being so nervous, I'm afraid it would be really hard for Mr. Ren to win this battle." He slowly turned his eyes to look at where his Master and Master-Wife were standing at. Besides them were Great Master Fangzheng and Priest Chongxu. The two people behind them were Taishan School's leader Priest Tianmen and Hengshan School's leader Mr. Mo Da. Ever since Mr. Mo Da arrived inside the hall, he had not made any noise at all. When Linghu Chong saw his thin and small body, he felt warmth in his heart followed by the thought, "Martial sister Yilin and the rest of the Heng-Shan School's disciples have no more masters. I don't know how they'll cope with it." Qingcheng School's headmaster Priest Yu was standing at the back wall with his hand grasping his sword handle and was looking indignant. Standing by the west was a beggar with white hair. He was Beggar Clan's leader Xie Feng. The other person was wearing a green gown and his appearance was quite natural. He was Kunlun School's leader Qiankun One Sword Zhenshan Zi.

These nine people were the present orthodox schools' most powerful masters. If the nine of them were not fully concentrating on the fight, even if he had used all of his power to hold his breath, it was more than likely that he would have been discovered a long time ago. He thought, "The gathering below has so many masters. Especially Master and Master-Wife are also there. Then there are Great Master Fangzheng, Wudang's leader, and Mr. Mo Da, the three seniors I respect completely. But I'm being really disrespectful hiding here and eavesdropping to what they're saying. Even though I was here before them, I've eavesdropped to what they were saying. If any of them felt my presence here then I'd be really shamed."

He hoped that Ren Woxing would quickly win this fight and thus win the best two out of three fights and go down the mountain with Yingying. When Great Master Fangzheng and the rest of the masters had gone out of the hall, he would then hurry down the mountain to meet Yingying. At the thought of meeting Yingying, his chest felt hot and his ears were also feeling hot. He pondered, "From now on, are Yingying and I really going to be man and wife? She treated me with passion and righteousness, but I... but I..." These last few days, although he had been thinking of Yingying, he had always thought of protecting her because of her kindness towards him. He wanted to help her get out of her imprisonment and declare to everyone in Jianghu that it was him who adored her and that it really was not her idea. Thus, it would stop the warriors of Jianghu from ridiculing her and causing her to be embarrassed. Every time Yingying's image appeared in his mind, there was no feeling of happiness or warmth in his heart. It was very different with the feeling of warmth when he remembered his little martial sister Yue Lingshan. There was actually a bit of fear when he thought of Yingying.

Hmm, Xie Feng? Leader of Beggar's Clan? I wonder if it's coincidence.

It sounds like RWX is strong enough to definitely get away even if the entire group of wulin's best experts tried to stop him, but it looks like FZ is enough to tie RWX down. RWX must have underestimated FZ completely. It sure seems like FZ is more than a match for RWX in terms of both technique and internal energy.

I'm not sure what to think about LHC. On one hand I have to admire his steadfastness but I feel a bit irked about how LHC at this point doesn't really have strong feelings for RYY. Still, the story isn't over so LHC may still drop that annoying YLS.

Ah, I can't wait for LHC to jump down and show his DG9J and newly-learned XXDF! Maybe he won't, but... hey, it's the hero's prerogative.

I agree with the sentiment that LHC is frustratingly hung up on YLS, but that's still a testament to his steadfastness. Oh well.

More, more, more! Excellent translation so far.

Quote Originally Posted by dius corvus
    Ah, I can't wait for LHC to jump down and show his DG9J and newly-learned XXDF! Maybe he won't, but... hey, it's the hero's prerogative.

I agree with the sentiment that LHC is frustratingly hung up on YLS, but that's still a testament to his steadfastness. Oh well.

More, more, more! Excellent translation so far.
    Man, LHC needs to be more decisive, in a matter of life and death you can't be distracted or take time, quick decisions have to be made and made well.

Anyways, I really really ... really hope LHC has a chance to display his DG9J here.

Big shout out to Pokit and hhuang from all the silent readers.

You're doing a massive job, big up your chests.
    "Knowing others is intelligent.
    Knowing yourself is enlightened"

If LHC loves YLS, then so be it. He is not obligated to love RYY just because she sacrificed her life for him. His honor code might push him towards helping her, but loving her is another matter. Personally, I find LHC's unwavering love for YLS to be quite romantic.
    Last edited by Wellesley; 08-28-06 at 01:27 PM.

When he first met Yingying, he thought that she was an old granny and he respected her and felt grateful towards her. Later, after he saw her lifted her hands to kill people and commanded those group of heroes, it was unavoidable that his respect was mixed with fear. Only after he found out recently that she had some feelings for him that this little bit of fear in his heart started to gradually lighten. And later when he found out that she was willing to give her own life to Shaolin to save him, his feelings for her became full of gratitude. But even though his feeling of gratitude was deep, he did not have any thoughts to be intimate with her and only wished that he could repay her kindness. Hearing Ren Woxing say that he was his son-in-law, he felt uneasy in his heart. Just now, when he saw her magnificent beauty, he only felt that the distance between them was far. After looking at Yingying for a few times, he did not dare to take a look again. He saw Xiang Wentian made a fist with both of his hands and his two eyes were wide open. Xiang Wentian was looking intently at Ren Woxing and Zuo Lengchan.

He saw Zuo Lengchan had already pulled back to one corner of the hall while Ren Woxing was still hacking repeatedly. Each of his palms was like a big hatchet and the power was astonishing. Zuo Lengchan was completely in an unfavourable situation. His two arms could not attack as he kept withdrawing them as soon as they had gone out for one foot. It seemed that he was only defending and not attacking. Suddenly, Ren Woxing shouted loudly and pushed both of his palms towards Zuo Lengchan's chest. The four palms clashed and Zuo Lengchan hit the wall behind him. Dust from the top fell down from the impact. The four palms did not separate. Linghu Chong felt his body shook and it looked as if the wooden signage he was hiding behind was about to fall down. He felt alarmed. "Martial uncle Zuo is in trouble. They're both competing inner energy, Ren Woxing would use the 'Art of Essence Absorbing' to absorb his inner energy. After some time, martial uncle Zuo will definitely lose." He saw Zuo Lengchan pulled his right palm back and unexpectedly only used his left palm to resist his opponent's palm while extending two fingers in his right hand to poke Ren Woxing. Ren Woxing shouted in alarm and leapt back immediately. Zuo Lengchan stabbed again with his right hand. He successively stabbed three times and Ren Woxing stepped back three times. Great Master Fangzheng, Priest Chongxu and the rest of the people were surprised: "I've heard that Ren Woxing's 'Art of Essence Absorbing' will absorb the opponent's inner energy without exception, but how come when their four palms connected, Zuo Lengchan was unexpectedly unharmed? Could it be that his Songshan School's inner energy cultivation does not fear the 'Art of Essence Absorbing'?" All the masters looking at the fight were in amazement but Ren Woxing was even more astonished.

More than ten years ago, when Ren Woxing fought with Zuo Lengchan, he did not have to use his 'Art of Essence Absorbing' before gaining the advantage. He was able to stop Zuo Lengchan then even though at that fight, he had a sudden pain in his heart and found it hard to control his power. He had been truly frightened as he knew it was because of the 'Art of Essence Absorbing' reversing. Under normal circumstances, he could have calmly meditated to regulate his inner energy. However, how could he do that with the enemy right in front of him? He had been at a loss as to what to do when he suddenly saw two people appearing behind Zuo Lengchan. They were Zuo Lengchan's martial brothers, "Tower Holding Palm" Ding Mian and "Great Songyang Palm" Fei Bin. Ren Woxing had immediately leapt away and laughed loudly. "We agreed to fight one on one but you secretly have some helpers. A gentleman doesn't want to be disadvantaged so I'll meet you at some other time. Today, grandpa won't accompany you anymore." If his opponent had not voluntarily ceased the fight, Zuo Lengchan's loss would have been guaranteed. It had been such a good turn of events for Zuo Lengchan that he had not dared to refute his opponent's accusation by saying something like "To have helpers is not the way of the hero". He had been afraid that Ren Woxing might have gotten angry and started fighting again. It would have been also inappropriate for Ding Mian and Fei Bin to enter the fight and help as it could have ruined his good reputation. Instead he had immediately said, "Who told you not to bring some of your Devil Sect's helper?" Ren Woxing had laughed coldly and left.

Thus, the victory or defeat of that previous fight to the death was not decided. But they both had known in their hearts that each of their martial arts had a big flaw. They had been lucky not to lose to each other and to be able to train hard after the fight to correct the flaws. Especially Ren Woxing as he had known that the 'Art of Essence Absorbing' had a secret danger attached to the skill, just like gangrene to the bone. He had used the 'Art of Essence Absorbing' to absorb many opponents' inner energies where the opponents were from different schools and they all had different inner energies. Because he did not have the method to harmonise them into one in the past, the various energies had frequently come out unexpectedly. His own internal energy had already been very powerful so when he had felt these different inner energies surging and swirling, he had immediately suppress them before they became dangerous. In his first confrontation with an extremely powerful master, he had used up a great amount of his internal energy, and as a result, his own internal energy, which had long suppressed the others, had been weakened. When fronted with a powerful enemy, he not only had to contend with their attacks but also worry about his own internal problem. That had been an extremely difficult dilemma for Ren Woxing.

Later on, he had thought deeply to search for a method to make uniform all these internal energies. When concentrating fully on this, even the most intelligent hero would not be aware of the rebellion happening under him. In the end, he was imprisoned by Dongfang Bubai. While he was imprisoned under the West Lake for ten years, his mind was focused on fixing the "Art of Essence Absorbing" until he finally comprehended the right method to suppress all the various internal energies from different schools that there would no longer be the danger of the "Art of Essence Absorbing" reversing.

That was yet a great translation thanks pokit

i really hate does songshan priest always pretending to be righteous but doesn't act like it is fair to gang up on a 1 on1 match it makes me wanna burn up

well thanks again pokit always excited about the next piece....

i'm pretty sure that Great Songyang Palm Fei Bin was killed by Mr. Mo of Hengshan back in something like chapter 7 or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Carefree Assassin
    i'm pretty sure that Great Songyang Palm Fei Bin was killed by Mr. Mo of Hengshan back in something like chapter 7 or something.

Yes he was, but here his name is being mentioned as a part of what RWX is remembering from the past.

I am sure you already are aware of this.
    Last edited by MysteriouX; 08-29-06 at 04:13 AM.

'ppreciate the great translation, keep'em coming!

Thank you pokit and hhuang

So the side effects of Art of Essence Absorbing is very similar to what LHC experienced. Interesting.

As for LHC's undying love to that silly girl; I can't find it romantic. I think he is being stubborn, insisting on going after something he can't have. So much so that his heart is closed towards other people. Of course there is a thing called chemistry. If he doesn't feel physically attracted to RYY then there is nothing anyone can do about it. I hope this will come to change though since I think they would make a great couple.

Romantic love is what YG felt to XLN.

Quote Originally Posted by MysteriouX
    Yes he was, but here his name is being mentioned as a part of what RWX is remembering from the past.

I am sure you already are aware of this.
    ahh...buggered. absolutely buggered i am. i guess my eyes have given out from my horrendously maimed sleeping pattern for the past few weeks, burning the midnight oil completing my Visual Arts major work.

Quote Originally Posted by Carefree Assassin
    ahh...buggered. absolutely buggered i am. i guess my eyes have given out from my horrendously maimed sleeping pattern for the past few weeks, burning the midnight oil completing my Visual Arts major work.

As long as you aren't doing drugs, or drinking heavily or smoking, I think we all can forgive you, ROFL.

thank you pkoit ang hhuang for the work
    it is so exciting..
    but i can not understand : how come FeiBin is back alive
    or is RWX seeing things?
    come RWX Absorbing techinque does not work on this time?
    any body can help explaining this

Fei Bin is not alive. The part where Fei Bin shows up is from the past fight between RWX and ZLC 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by marktio
    thank you pkoit ang hhuang for the work
    it is so exciting..
    but i can not understand : how come FeiBin is back alive
    or is RWX seeing things?
    come RWX Absorbing techinque does not work on this time?
    any body can help explaining this
    You are welcome Eliza Bennett & Marktio. It's written as a flash back but as you can guess, it's difficult to realize that about 3 paragraphs are part of the flash back. Fei Bin is indeed dead. The author is retelling what RWX and ZLC experienced 10 years ago when they had a fight. At that time RWX had just finished studying XXDF. It was only after the fight that he realized how big a trouble he was in with XXDF reversing on him. This is the reason he was preoccupied with fixing his XXDF and did not notice DFBB plotting against him.

Hope this helps!