Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast

Thread: Smiling Proud Wanderer

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    I feel cheated! The chapter title said THREE Fights! We wuz robbed!
    don't worry you'll got your third fight

ohh mannn.... Zuo Lengchan must be pissed off right now. Ren Woxing can recover from the Polar Ice Energy in 6-8 hours, but ZLC used up 10 years of developing his polar ice energy and needs several months to recover. And then Ren Woxing and Yingying get to leave anyways!!

Yeah, it was a gamble on his side anyways. He probably thought that sacrificing 10 years of internal energy cultivation to kill RWX would be worth the effort, but right now it looks to him that it's having almost no effect while he's in big trouble.

That said, RWX seems to be feeling the pain from the attack though.

for me, RWX won that fight : he only needs 6/8 H to be healthy and to add the 10 years of zuo lengshan internal energy he absorbs to his own.

Here's the third fight.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just as Ren Woxing was about to step outside of the hall, they suddenly heard Yue Buqun shouted, “Wait!”

Ren Woxing turned his head around and asked, “What?”

“Priest Chongxu is an educated man. He doesn't want to fight someone with a narrow mind. We haven’t fought out this third fight yet. Linghu Chong, I’ll accompany you for this fight.”

Linghu Chong was surprised and his whole body started to shake. His mouth was chattering as he said, “Master, I... I... how can...”

But Yue Buqun was calm when he replied, “Other people said that you've taken some pointers from martial uncle Feng and received the essence of swordsmanship from Huashan School. It seems that even I’m not your match. Even though you’ve already been expelled from Huashan, but in Jianghu, you’re still setting up your reputation using our school’s sword art. Because I am unable to teach you, all the seniors of the orthodox schools are exasperated by you, unworthy youth. If I don’t take care of this then do I let other people take responsibility for this? Today, if I don’t kill you, then you’ll kill me.” As he said these last few words, his voice became fierce. He then drew his sword out and shouted, “The two of us no longer have a master disciple relationship, en guard!” Linghu Chong took a step back and said, “Disciple doesn’t dare!”

Yue Buqun thrust his sword towards Linghu Chong's chest. Linghu Chong leaned to the side avoiding it. Yue Buqun followed this with another two thrusts which Linghu Chong also avoided. Linghu Chong's long sword was still pointing at the ground and he had not used it to block the thrusts. Yue Buqun said, "You already gave me three moves. Consider that as finishing the respect we have. Ready your sword!"

Ren Woxing said, "Chong'er, you're still not returning any move, do you really want to die here?"

Linghu Chong answered, "Yes", and immediately lifted his sword up. In this fight, should he let Master win or should he win over Master? If he deliberately held back and lost, even if he received heavy injuries, he wouldn’t care, but Ren Woxing, Xiang Wentian, and Yingying would all be detained on Mount Shaoshi for ten years. Great Master Fangzheng was surely a righteous eminent monk, but there was no guarantee that Zuo Lengchan and the rest of the Shaolin monks would not harm the three of them. In this ten year of imprisonment, it would be very hard to say whether they would be able to keep their lives. But he also thought about how he had been by himself since he was young, and it was Master and Master-Wife who brought him up. He considered them as his own parents and he had not repaid them for their kindness yet. How could he defeat Master in front of all the world's heroes and make him lose face and reputation?

As he was hesitating on what to do, Yue Buqun had already attacked him with more than twenty moves. Linghu Chong only used the Huashan sword moves previously taught by his master to block. He didn’t dare to use the 'Dugu Nine Swords' as each of its moves was an attacking method meant to harm the opponent. After he studied 'Dugu Nine Swords', his knowledge had greatly advanced and furthermore, his internal energy was abundant. Although he was only using a common Huashan sword art, his sword’s power and class naturally differed by a lot compared to the past. Yue Buqun was attacking continuously but he had not managed to harm him yet.

The spectators saw how Linghu Chong was wielding his sword and they naturally understood that he was intentionally giving way. When Ren Woxing and Xiang Wentian looked at this, both their faces showed their worries. Both of them remembered that day at the Plum Manor on Hangzhou's Mount Gu when Ren Woxing invited Linghu Chong to join the Divine Sun Moon Sect. He was giving him the Right Protector position and later on, the position of Chief. Ren Woxing would also impart to him the secret of how to harmonise the various internal energies in his body after using the 'Art of Essence Absorbing'. But this youth was hardly moved by this offer and was very loyal to his school.

At this time, seeing how he was so respectful towards his former master and master-wife, it seemed that if Yue Buqun were to stab him to death, Linghu Chong would even be willing to accept this in his heart. He was actually only using defensive moves so how would he be able to win? It was apparent that Linghu Chong had already decided not to win over his master, especially since they were fighting in front of so many accomplished heroes. He would have abandoned his sword and admitted defeat a long time ago if it was not for the fact that Yingying, Ren Woxing and Xiang Wentian would be imprisoned on Mount Shaoshi if he lost. The two people, Ren and Xiang, were pacing back and forth not knowing what to do. They looked at the fight again and they thought, "What should we do?"

Ren Woxing turned his head around towards Yingying and whispered, "Go in front."

Yingying understood her dad's intention well. He was afraid that Linghu Chong would take into consideration the kindness of his former master and would intentionally lose the fight. He wanted her to go in front so that Linghu Chong would be able to see her and be reminded how she had treated him, so he would use his power and gain victory. She lightly groaned but did not move. After some time, when Ren Woxing saw Linghu Chong kept retreating, he became even more worried and again told Yingying, "Go in front." Yingying still did not move and groaned again not answering him. She thought in her heart, "You already understand how I treated you. If you think I'm more important then you'd help me go down the mountain and you'd be able to gain victory by yourself. If you think your master is more important, even if I pulled your sleeve and cry, it would still be useless. Why must I stand in front of you to remind you of this?" She deeply felt that it was natural for two people to love each other. If she had to give some signs before Linghu Chong would consider her love for him then that was just too tasteless.

Linghu Chong was not restricted to using Huashan sword art when blocking each of his master's attack. If he had actually counter attacked, Yue Buqun would have been forced to throw away his sword and admit defeat a long time ago. He had seen a lot of flaws in his master's sword moves but he had not even attacked once. Yue Buqun understood Linghu Chong's heart from the beginning, so he attacked continuously using his Divine Violet Twilight Art in conjunction with his Huashan sword art. He already knew that Linghu Chong would not attack back so he kept advancing with all of his attacks and did not care about the flaws in his sword art anymore. As he did this, the power of his sword art had now greatly multiplied. The spectators saw that Yue Buqun's sword art was wonderful and he had also received an advantage, but he had not been able to stab Linghu Chong from the beginning. They also saw that when Linghu Chong wielded his sword, sometimes there was a move and sometimes there was no move. When there was no move, it looked like as if his long sword was just blocking in a disorderly fashion but looked marvellous at the same time. He only had to touch Yue Buqun's sword lightly to protect himself. The more they watched, the more they admired him. They all thought, "Priest Chongxu said that his sword art is inferior, seems like he didn't just make that up."

Yue Buqun had been fighting for a long time without stopping and he was becoming impatient. Suddenly, he thought, "Ayo, this is not good! This little traitor doesn't want other people to say that he doesn't know how to repay the kindness of other people so he kept on fighting me. Even though he's not attacking, he's still making it difficult for me to gain victory. Everyone here is a master and is very observant. At this time, they must have observed a long time ago that this little traitor is purposely giving way to me. I've been continuously attacking him from the start, what would become of my dignity? How can this be considered as the behaviour of a school leader? This little traitor wants to give me some difficulties and force me to give way and voluntarily admit defeat."

He quickly transferred his Divine Violet Twilight Art into his sword. His sword hacked down splitting the air. Linghu Chong slanted his body and avoided the chop. Yue Buqun circled his sword and slashed towards Linghu Chong's waist. Linghu Chong leapt above the sword. Yue Buqun flicked his sword upwards aiming towards the back of his body. The change in this sword move was extremely fast. There were no eyes at the back of Linghu Chong's body and the situation was very difficult for him to avoid. Everyone gasped in surprised. Linghu Chong was in mid air and there was nowhere for him to step on to launch his body forward. It was also too late for him to use his sword to block the strike. But then, they saw him using his sword to hit the wooden pillar in front him. Borrowing this force, he jumped to the back of the pillar and with a 'pu' sound, Yue Buqun's long sword penetrated the wooden pillar. The sword was pliable but with his internal energy injected to it, the long sword went through the pillar and the point of the sword stopped just inches away from Linghu Chong's body.

"Ah!" everyone gasped in surprise. The sound of this cry was full of happiness, delight and praise. Unexpectedly, everyone was happy for Linghu Chong. They admired him for the skilful and clever way he avoided the attack. They were also celebrating the fact that Yue Buqun did not manage to stab him. Yue Buqun had executed his unique skill, Three-Linking Strike, but was still unable to hit Linghu Chong. Furthermore, he felt angry when he heard the spectators calling out in compassion towards his opponent.

WOW

that was AWESOME

that fight was really really really great and i admire the the spectators for the admiring the skills of the fighters and not the fighters themselves i just am so pisses with YBQ (SOOOOOOOOO Stuborn) Admiting defeat aint so bad specially when you can see it as bright as day...

well that goes to show "you can't teach an old dog new tricks..

Thanks again hhuang and pokit....

as always love and appreciate your work

YBQ always wants fame and glory to stand out, otherwise he wouldn't have jumped out and pick a fight against LHC. His skills are lesser than Chongxu, but unlike Chongxu, YBQ can use emotions against LHC to win. Crafty bastard.
    Underneath the fluffly, cudly exterior lies the tormented and complex creature known as the panda.

So YBQ is not whipping out the PXJF yet huh.

Quote Originally Posted by SkineePanda
    YBQ always wants fame and glory to stand out, otherwise he wouldn't have jumped out and pick a fight against LHC. His skills are lesser than Chongxu, but unlike Chongxu, YBQ can use emotions against LHC to win. Crafty bastard.

Yea...I would've expected YBQ to be smarter than this- he knows LHC's skills; does he simply expect LHC to let YBQ stab him??? kinda unrealistic if you ask me. Well there's still time for YBQ to get mad and use some other techniques- CC your comment is a spoiler at this point i think because that part hasn't been revealed yet (correct me if i'm wrong), so i'm sure some readers would appreciate it if you removed that reference.

great translations! I have been following this story the past month and I just want to express my thanks to the translators.

Think Yue Bu Qun is "conserving" it for the big fight for the "wulin leader".

By the way awesome translation.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Saying about YBQ and PXJF is a spoiler material, because we still don't know who screwed LPZ his "precious inheritance" unless if I miss something from previous chapter.

This is a no-win situation for YQB no matter what he does.

If LHC fights back, people will see it as 'he's trying to repay RYY for helping him earlier and he only attacked after YQB has initiated several moves' and YBQ's loses his reputation being defeated by a disciple using his own school's sword skills.

If LHC doesn't fight back, YBQ's reputation as a gentleman goes down the drain, his narrow-mindness is revealed and everyone still observes that LHC doesn't have to do anything to avoid YBQ's so called high level sword skills.

But no matter what, those very experienced seniors will observe that though LHC's sword skills seem to be nothing, he actually is using a very deep technique, and whatever happens, it undermines YBQ's authority some more within his own school and in the 5MSA.

Wow! This was a great fight and LHC is wonderful.

I also admire RYY not to resort to"tactics". I really like this girl so far.

pokit, hhuang thank you

Really, I'm complete addicted to this novel. Please keep the good work!

Hmm. Looks like DG9J is more than just a set of stances if it can boost LHC's sword understanding that much. And I like RYY's attitude although I also think that's the way to lose LHC =(

Anyways, while it is possible to deduce who could have possibly taken the manual from LHC and then induce who is almost certainly the one who did it, it would be a good idea to refrain from directly stating it in a single liner that is pretty hard to miss.

I think YBQ thought of LHC the same way he was before. he simply cannot imagine one of his disciple (even an ex-disciple) to be stronger than him. that's why he ask for the fight.

and for the spoliers, I didn't know about that and, even if I had doubts, I was annoyed to read the spolier. and can everyone edit their post, please 1 if someone havent read it yet, 2 Even if I noiw Know, it still upset me to read it again and again (I'm too sensible )

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse
    Hmm. Looks like DG9J is more than just a set of stances if it can boost LHC's sword understanding that much. And I like RYY's attitude although I also think that's the way to lose LHC =(

Anyways, while it is possible to deduce who could have possibly taken the manual from LHC and then induce who is almost certainly the one who did it, it would be a good idea to refrain from directly stating it in a single liner that is pretty hard to miss.

If we consider DG9J in any form as advanced stances, then we can no longer consider it as formless. If DG9J is to be a formless sword skill then it cannot contain any stances.

In fact martial artists who have reached trueformless level cannot have any forethought of where or how they will attack.

E.g. 2 swordsmen, A and B are going to duel, they are facing each other with weapons drawn. A decides to start by attacking B's throat, so by making that decision, he will most likely even for a tiny brief moment his eyes would change focus onto B's throat (though his facial expression does not change in any way), he may even adjust his grip and position of his sword to optimize his initial attack.

When A does this (as most highly skilled martial artists are experienced in battle, they have developed instincts and they are very observent), there is a chance that B would notice A's tiny slight adjustments and he himself would probably adjust to counter A's attack, or himself try to attack first.

True formless is supposed to be unpredictable, unreadable, in fact it is supposed to come forth spontaneously from no where. The person who has reached this level would not even have any forethought in his or her mind about how they will attack.

I think its better to describe DG9J as being a sword theory then a sword style. If we consider DG9J to be a formless sword style, then the word 'formless' and the word 'style' are contradicting eachother.

That's just a matter of self control on the part of the swordsman then.

Furthurmore, any attack is going to be predictable in the sense that you cannot simply attack through willpower alone. If you want to attack your opponent's throat, then it behooves you to shift your body and grip your sword in a manner optimal for attacking your opponent's throat.

Sure, you can do the attack without the previous optimizations, but then the attack is not going to be that good. It does you no good for your attack to be unpredictable if the reason why your attack is unpredictable is because it stunk.

As an analogy, if you're going to launch an attack on the enemy king in chess, usually the opponent can see it coming and attempt to react accordingly. Now, if you wanted to, you could launch an attack out of totally nowhere. It would not be predictable at all, and it would take your opponent by surprise, but it would also fail due to not having been set up properly. Whereas, an attack that has been set up properly can be anticipated by virtue of it being set up.

The true mastery in swordplay is when you can inform your opponent in advance of everything you will do and still win anyway. That is because you no longer rely on surprise and other human factors. The true master fences as if his opponent was perfect, and makes moves not because they are tricky, but because they are good moves.

The chess analogue is how if I played a GM (or IM, or FM, or a bunch of others), they could tell me about the purpose of every move they make, and their thoughts on their position and what plans they might undertake, and even calculate out some variations for me, and yet they would smash me anyway because their moves are simply much better than mine.

The key to "how will you break it?" is the "it". As K2Grey mentioned, the "it" only matters if it's an actual useful move.

LHC's moves look useless, but they're not; they're actually full of sword intent and are aimed at deadly points and carrying deadly power.

That is the key of formlessness. It's not that you're not using stances, but that you're not restricted by them and your understanding is so high that anything you send out is a deadly attack with no set pattern for the other to read.

This is why when two formless masters are pitted against each other, the one with higher comprehension will prevail.

DG9J itself is a set of nine stances that encompass the theory of how all martial arts must work. The key to its power is not so much the breaking stance but the script of theory that is the basis. The stances are a clue to how to begin, but true mastery is the path of formlessness. With the superior basis of knowledge that DG9J provides (over lesser martial arts), the level of achievement can be higher simply because you get a jumpstart at comprehension (assuming you had the talent).