Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Smiling Proud Wanderer

Smile

Thanks very much Huang Yushi for translating that sentence for me! I appreciate it very much. Thanks FastClock also for your help. IcyFox I'll keep your advice in mind. Hope you have a relative safe and peaceful 2 years in the military. :-)

Someone in another thread said that if IcyFox was a good soldier he might make RSM (Regimental Sergeant Major). Hope not, since they often become 'lifers' and tend to yell and swagger a lot.

Linghu Chong had disquieting thoughts after listening to Mr. Black-White going out the tunnel and then closing the iron gate. "How can Mr. Black-White mistaken me for Senior Ren? Mr. Black-White is very astute. How did he end up making such a mistake?" He suddenly remembers "Is it possible that Mr. Huang Zhong found out that Mr. Black-White's been secretly visiting this cell every two months this past 12 years? Perhaps Mr. Huang Zhong had imprisoned Senior Ren secretly in another room and had actually put me in here?"

Suddenly he remembered what Mr. Black-White just said to him, "Disciples of the (Sun-Moon) Sect who deceive their teachers (masters) and obliterate their roots have always been punished with the slow and lingering process of having their skin peeled off and their limbs dismembered. No one has been able to escape it in the past several hundred years." Deliberately considering this statement, he couldn't help but wonder "Is it possible that Senior Ren and the four skunks of Jiangnan are all Demon Cult's members? I don't know what game they are playing but I am actually implicated in this mess." As soon as he thought of the Sun-Moon Sect, he sensed that there are layers upon layers of hidden elements in this matter and found it difficult to understand the whole situation. He stopped thinking further and concentrated only on answering this question, "Are Mr. Black-White's actions based on his true feelings or was he only pretending? When he asks me again after three days, how shall I answer?"

All kinds of strange thoughts went through his mind going this way and that way but he still was not able to guess what Mr. Black-White's true intentions were. After some time, he became extremely weary and fell asleep. As soon as he woke up, his first thought was "If brother Xian were here, with his experience, he may be able to guess Mr. Black-White's intention relatively quickly. Senior Ren was obviously very smart, may be smarter than brother Xian…" and "Oh!" escaped from his mouth in a shout.

He thought to himself, "For the last 12 years, Senior Ren refused to consent Mr. Black-White's entreaties. Naturally, this must be because there must be a strong reason. He is the type of person who must surely know how formidable his enemies are." Immediately, he reasons, "Senior Ren, no doubt was not able to consent. How am I going to be able to consent when clearly I'm not at the same level as Senior Ren."

He knows for sure this matter, if not handled properly, could result in enormous calamity for him. But his heart is set on using this opportunity as a means to escape from this dark prison cell whatever the cost. He decides quickly, "When the three days is up and Mr. Black-White asks me again, I will consent to his request and transfer to him the secret of breathing exercise practice instructions from the iron panel. Then, I will see how the situation will turn out and act accordingly."

Having decided, he started tracing the handwriting on the iron panel silently to memorize the instructions thinking, "I must manage to understand this rotten skill, otherwise when I teach him, I might blurt out something he would disbelieve. Only my voice and Senior Ren's voice are too different that I have to really dampen my voice. I can shout one word and mute the other one, that way it becomes more ambiguous and not easy for him to find out."

----------
    Thanks Fastclock for help with the last sentence!
    Last edited by hhaung; 03-09-06 at 10:05 AM.

-- deleted the duplicate post --
    Last edited by hhaung; 03-09-06 at 10:03 AM.

It says something like this:

(Linghu Chong) "I must manage to understand this rotten skill, otherwise when I teach him, I might blurt out something he would disbelieve. Only my voice and Senior Ren's voice are too different that I have to really dampen my voice. I can shout one word and mute the other one, that way it becomes more ambiguous and not easy for him to find out."

You can edit your post easily. There is an 'edit' option at the lower right of each post.

brother Xian that Linghu Chong is referring to is Xiang Wen Tian.

Thank you hhaung for continuing the translation of this marvelous novel.

Linghu Chong had his internal power crisis for the most part in previous translation. Is he destined to be 'no power, but skilful' hero for the rest of the story? I wonder if he will solve this crisis by learning the prison inscriptions. I certainly hope so.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

he learned XXDF and later YJJ, all internal energy wise!

I'd be much obliged if someone goes over this using the original Chinese text and point out my mistakes. Since it's talking about Inner Energy, I find it very difficult to piece it all together. Thanks! -- HH

Using mnemonics, he started memorizing the text by shouting them out in a very loud voice knowing that the dark prison cell is deep down underneath the lake, separated from the nearest exit by a long tunnel and two gates in between. Even if numerous firecrackers were exploding in the prison cell, it is unlikely for the least bit of sound to go outside. Linghu Chong then switched to singing in an operatic style, making up lyrics using the mnemonics from the instructions on the iron panel. Afterwards, thinking rude thoughts about the the Four Skunks of Jiangnan, he was unable to restrain himself and laughed heartily.

Suddenly, Linghu Chong came to the sentence, " When inner energy is stored in the dan tian (pubic region), it is like a reservior that can accommodate a large amount of water. Once things have come to a rest, the energy will be then be distributed to other parts of the body."

Linghu Chong had read this sentence several times before but he did not think deeply about its meaning because he thoroughly disliked practicing breathing exercises. Just now, he grasped meaning of the sentence and found it very strange. "When master teaches us the basics of inner strength cultivation, he teaches that the cultivated energy has to be stored in the lower abdomen (dan tian/pubic region) from where it acts as the source of power. Why did these instructions actually say energy cannot be saved in the dan tian. If inner strength cannot reside there, where should it go? The practice of this sentence is contrary to all of the martial arts methods of inner strength cultivation including that of Huashan's. This big technique must be a joke. Ha ha, Mr. Black-White is mean and shameless. Why don't I pass this method on to him, and let him work it out?"

Tracing the handwriting on the iron panel, Linghu Chong slowly ponders over the meaning. The first several hundred characters teaches techniques to disperse a person's own inner energy completely. Realizing this, he was startled into wondering, "Who in the world is so < ?? stupid?> that he is willing to lose a life time of inner energy cultivation and practice the instructions here? Only a person who has made up his mind to commit suicide would be willing. On the other hand, if a person were to commit suicide, wouldn't a sword slash across the neck be quicker? Why waste so much time to kill oneself? <?? Getting rid> of internal energy is certainly much more difficult than <? cultivating> it. How is this method really useful?"

Thinking of the coming meeting with Mr. Black-White, Linghu Chong couldn't help but get depressed. "It will not take Mr. Black-White long to find out that the worthlessness of this method and realized that he's been cheated. Teaching him this method may not work out well" Linghu Chong worried while continuing to recite more of the mnemonics, "The energy enters the dan tian and then disperses into the body through the arteries…"

After reading for a while, he became angry and hits the iron bed saying "Damn this person. Just because he was angry for being stuck in this dark prison cell, he arranged this clever trick to make fun of other people." Linghu Chong scolded the previous occupant of his cell for a while and then fell asleep. In his sleep, his mind continued going over "the energy enters the dan tian and then disperses into the body through the arteries…." part of the inner energy cultivation method on the iron panel and unconsciously his body followed the method's directions. Suddenly, he felt some of the inner energy in his body flowing out from the dan tian and dispersing through his arteries into all parts of his body. He was overcome with a strong urge to defecate and was quite uncomfortable.

After a good while, he became consciously aware of streams of inner energy moving throughout his body while his dan tian remains calm. "Oh, this is not good! My inner energy is certainly not flowing out. How can it be that I have not turned into a disabled person instantly?

Startled, he immediately sat up and probed his inner energy. The streams of energy inside him seemed to be circulating throughout and energizing his body. He was quite dizzy at first but after some time felt all his conflicting inner energies settled down and was pleasantly surprised.

The illness I suffered from was difficult to cure because there were 7-8 heterogeneous inner energies from the Peach Valley Six Immortals and Monk No Commandment running wild in my body. Dr. Ping was unable to treat me. Shaolin abbot Master Fang Zheng said that only the Tendon Altering Sutra will be able to tame the energy streams and cure me. The method engraved on the iron panel, however, does not teach me how to cultivate inner energy but how to disperse it. Ha ha, Linghu Chong, fate is certainly on your side, while others fear the loss of their inner strength, you actually benefit from it.

Thus, Linghu Chong unceasingly continues to read aloud the mnemonics the rest of the day. That night, in his dreams he was still going over the concepts unconsciously making sense of it and practicing it in his sleep. But he couldn't fully understand the method beyond the first line. By now, his spirit was inspired to fully comprehend the method and see the result for himself. Now, at last, he sat cross-legged and put into practice what he had learnt. After practicing for a while, he sensed the long pent-up heterogeneous energies getting wild in his dan tian and dispersing into his arteries. Although he still cannot get rid of the remaining energy streams, the tension in his body was greatly reduced.

He felt extremely happy and sang songs until his voice became hoarse. Originally he was singing and shouting loudly to find a way to disguise his voice. Now, unexpectedly, his voice has become hoarse and he thought, "Ren Woxing, Ren Woxing, you leave these methods on the iron panel with the intention of injuring someone. How would you have known that your method would prove harmless to me and in fact benefits me a great deal? You must be turning over in the grave with anger. Ha ha, ha ha!"
    Last edited by hhaung; 03-11-06 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hhaung
    I'd be much obliged if someone goes over this using the original Chinese text and point out my mistakes. Since it's talking about Inner Energy, I find it very difficult to piece it all together. Thanks! -- HH

Using mnemonics, he started memorizing the text by shouting them out in a very loud voice knowing that the dark prison cell is deep down underneath the lake, separated from the nearest exit by a long tunnel and two gates in between. Even if numerous firecrackers were exploding in the prison cell, it is unlikely for the least bit of sound to go outside. Linghu Chong then switched to singing in an operatic style, making up lyrics using the mnemonics from the instructions on the iron panel. Afterwards, thinking rude thoughts about the the Four Skunks of Jiangnan, he was unable to restrain himself and laughed heartily.

Suddenly, Linghu Chong came to the sentence, "When the pubic region acts as a storage area (box) for Chang Rukong, it permanently resembles the canyon. The spatial box may store the inner energy, and the canyon is able to accommodate the water. Once things have come to a rest, Yu Renmai will be dispersed into various holes."

Linghu Chong had read this sentence several times before but he did not think deeply about its meaning because he thoroughly disliked practicing breathing exercises. Just now, he grasped meaning of the sentence and found it very strange. "When master teaches us the basics of how to cultivate inner strength, he teaches that the essential energy lies at rest in the pubic region where inner strength is most vigorous and strong. Why did these instructions actually say energy cannot be saved in the pubic region. If inner strength cannot reside there, where should it go? The practice of this sentence is contrary to all of the martial arts methods of inner strength cultivation that I know. This big technique must be a joke. Ha ha, Mr. Black-White is mean and shameless. Why don't I pass this method on to him, and let him work it out?"

Tracing the handwriting on the iron panel, Linghu Chong slowly ponders over the meaning. The first several hundred characters teaches techniques to disperse a person's own inner energy completely. Realizing this, he was startled into wondering, "Who in the world is so < ?? stupid?> that he is willing to lose a life time of inner energy cultivation and practice the instructions here? Only a person who has made up his mind to commit suicide would be willing. On the other hand, if a person were to commit suicide, wouldn't a sword slash across the neck be quicker? Why waste so much time to kill oneself? <?? Getting rid> of internal energy is certainly much more difficult than <? cultivating> it. How is this method really useful?"

ROFL at Babel.

The Pubic region must surely be dan tian, and hhuang, you should continue to use dan tian in the translation; using the same translation method as Lanny Lin.

""When the pubic region acts as a storage area (box) for Chang Rukong, it permanently resembles the canyon. The spatial box may store the inner energy, and the canyon is able to accommodate the water. Once things have come to a rest, Yu Renmai will be dispersed into various holes." ---------------- Someone will need to look up the original text and re-translate that part.

Another thing is that, probably use "expelling" internal energy rather than "getting rid".

Lastly, thank you for translating this segment of SOD. I would also suggest that you contact Lanny Lin for colloboration i.e. themes of the translation, which chapter to continue, what his plans are etc.

Han SOlo

Thanks Han Solo. I did send an email to Lanny about this but haven't heard back from him. May be he's away somewhere or just very busy.

-- HH

Default Thx a Ton!!

Hhuang..thx so much for translating this!! u r wonderfulllllll

Senior Member Demonic Swordsman's Avatar

great work!!!

keep it up!!!

The main difference between the writing on the iron panel and other school inner energy cultivation is:

the iron panel: the cultivated energy has to be distributed to the other part of the body

other (including Huashan style that LHC learned previously: the cultivated energy has to be 'stored' in the lower abdomen (dan tian/pubic region) and act as the source of power.

As LHC inner energy is a mixture of 8 different inner energy, the 'contrasting style' brings certain benefit to him.

------

On different styles of the translators: all I can say is if you are really worried about it just do it yourself or edit it yourself.

It's really not polite tellling a voluntary translator to do it one way to conform to previous translators or any other 'instructions'... just be thankful for whatever exist.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by fastclock

------

On different styles of the translators: all I can say is if you are really worried about it just do it yourself or edit it yourself.

It's really not polite tellling a voluntary translator to do it one way to conform to previous translators or any other 'instructions'... just be thankful for whatever exist.

Cheers.
    I'm not instructing, but merely suggesting a way to translate, so that eventually, when the collated translation is finished, would have a uniform style.

I'm grateful as it is to read translations and knows from past experience translating JY's work as to how hard it is, and appreciate all your efforts.

Han Solo

FastClock, thanks very much for your help with the translation. Han Solo, thanks for your recommendations. I have edited the above post and appended some more paragraphs. I would appreciate it very much if anyone could cross check the accuracy of my translations and let me know the correct translation when you have a chance.

-- HH

Post Continued...

During this brief practice, even though the energy streams were not completely dispersed, he felt somewhat comfortable. He thought "After I got the energy streams from Peach Valley Six Immortals and Monk No-Commandment dispersed, I will have to regain my internal strength by practicing what my master taught me at Huashan. Since I will have to start over from the beginning, I fear I must spend a part of my life to recover what I have lost. If brother Xian Wentian finally came and rescue me from here …"

Suddenly Linghu Chong thought that, "Both master and master-wife expelled me from the Huashan sect, why should I practice Huashan school's internal strength again? In the martial arts world, there are many ways of cultivating internal strength. Why couldn't I ask for Brother Xian Wentian or Ying-Ying's help in this and study from them? This made him less miserable and excited. After eating the day's meal, he practiced the technique again. He sensed his body became more and more comfortable and couldn't help but laugh heartily.

Suddenly he hears Mr. Black-White calling to him outside the prison door, "Senior, I hope you are feeling well. Junior is here to serve you." Linghu Chong has been concentrating only on learning and practicing the inner energy technique of Ren Woxing for the past three days that not only had he forgotten how much time has passed but also didn't notice Mr. Black-White's arrival. It was lucky that he hadn't spoken a word before and gave himself away. He let out several hollow laughs as answer to Mr. Black-White.

Mr. Black-White said, "It seems today Senior is feeling very high spirited. How should I, your diciple, proceed?"
    Linghu Chong deliberately considered, "Should I consent and receive him as a disciple and pass on this method on the iron panel? As soon as he opens the door to come in, he would immediately see that I am not Senior Ren and naturally would get angry enough to kill me on the spot. On the other hand, if I were to pass on the whole method, even if he still believed me to be Senior Ren, once he finished practicing, most likely he would try to kill me rather than help me escape. All he has to do is put some poison in the meal and I am done for. No wonder Senior Ren was not willing to pass on the method to him for last 12 years."

When Mr. Black-White did not hear an answer, he said, "After Senior passes on the big method to me, the disciple will serve you with a fat chicken and good wine to show filial piety."

Linghu Chong has been imprisoned for more than a month and a half. Everyday he has been only eating green vegetables and tofu. The sound of "a fat chicken and good wine" was too tempting. With his mouth salivating greedily, he said, "Good, you can first bring me a fat chicken and some good wine. After I have eaten them to my heart's content, I will then pass on the method to you."

Mr. Black-White hurriedly replied, "Well, I will certainly bring you good food and wine. However, I'm afraid it will not be possible to bring them today. Tomorrow, if I have a lucky chance, I will then bring my offerings.

Linghu Chong asked, "Why is it not possible to bring the food today?"
    Last edited by hhaung; 03-12-06 at 12:15 AM.

thank you hhaung for updating.
    A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.

keep it up!!

linghu chong is quite smart...passing on bits of the method at a time

Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    he learned XXDF and later YJJ, all internal energy wise!
    XXDF? YJJ? Is one of them the one that he is learning now? Gosh, the story is getting better and better now.
    I have read somewhere that a movie called Swordsman was adapted from the story? I did watched it when I was a kid but, it seems that the book differ from the movie? Or was it my lapsing memory.
    Anyway, TQ hhaung again for the update.

hes learning XXDF right now