Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Smiling Proud Wanderer

Default Help with a sentence

I'm having trouble translating the last sentence in the fourth paragraph (counting backwards from the end of Chapter 21). Would someone be kind enough to help me with it?

By the way, I have no idea how to get the chinese characters to display here. It'd be great if someone can tell me how to insert these characters in the posts, too.

Thanks very much!

Here's what I can make out:

He did not know that the secret door was connected to an alarm device, so when someone rashly rushed out, the alarm gave a bell sound therefore the three of them led by Mr. Huang Zhong had come and waited for him. Only he had a head cover on, also wearing Mr. Black-White's long gown that nobody could recognize him.

Linghu Chong gave a startle and said, "I... I... "

Regarding the Chinese characters, just do copy and paste from Word - it should come up just fine with the right encoding.
    Last edited by fastclock; 04-12-06 at 09:05 AM.

Many Thanks FastClock!

As for the Chinese characters, I did paste directly from word and they appear correctly in the input field but once I click on Submit, they all turned into ????.

You'd need to have the right encoding mode set in the browser to view the characters properly.
    Usually it's Unicode - Simplified Chinese.
    In Firefox, it's under View-Character Encoding- and then choose your favorite one.
    In IE there's a similar option.

Senior Member Demonic Swordsman's Avatar

while the topic is on computers....how do you input chinese characters into windows xp?

Can someone translate this piece for me? It's a sword move and I am not sure exactly what happened. Thanks!

³ËËû¾Ù±Êµ²¼Ü£¬±ã¼´·¢×ã±¼³ö

Quote Originally Posted by Demonic Swordsman
    while the topic is on computers....how do you input chinese characters into windows xp?
    i don't know if i answer your need but you can check the following url:
    http://newton.uor.edu/Departments&Pr...lation_XP.html

Quote Originally Posted by hhaung
    It does sound dodgy... I just hope it's not poor translation on my part! Added two more paragraphs. I can't wait to get to the end of this chapter! There's about 10 more paragraphs worth left.
    thanks for translation hhuang.. me too.
    btw, anyone knew the historical time span of this story? I guess it was around end of Ming Dynasty 1368-1644 A.D? Why no Wudang sect mentioned in the story?

Quote Originally Posted by rian97
    thanks for translation hhuang.. me too.
    btw, anyone knew the historical time span of this story? I guess it was around end of Ming Dynasty 1368-1644 A.D? Why no Wudang sect mentioned in the story?
    Wudang, together with Shaolin played a substantial role in this story, at the mid to later stages.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonic Swordsman
    1. First, you set up the language and input options.

Start > Settings > Control Panel
    > Regional and Language Options
    > Languages
    > Details
    > "Installed Services"
    > "Add"
    > "Input Language" : Chinese (PRC)
    > "Keyboard Layout/IME" : Chinese (Simplified) - Microsoft Pinyin IME 3.0
    > (on the same page as "Installed Services") "Preferences"
    > "Language Bar"
    > [check/tick] "Show the Language Bar on the desktop" [OK]

2. Then, you use it.

> Click the language icon to change it from "EN" to "CH".
    > In any text window, type the pinyin of the chinese character desired, e.g.
    "wo" for the pronoun "I"; a single "wo" or a whole bunch of them will appear. If there is more than one, pick from the list. If there is only one and it's not the one you want, use the "right-arrow" key to display the list.

Quote Originally Posted by rian97
    btw, anyone knew the historical time span of this story? I guess it was around end of Ming Dynasty 1368-1644 A.D?
    Based on the article below, which states the the written score of "Guang Ling San" was found around 1425, we can safely deduce that Smiling Proud Wanderer occurred some time in the middle of the Ming Dynasty, probably anything from 5-10 years or more after 1425.

In Chapter 7 of The Smiling Proud Wanderer, the dying Liu Zhengfeng and Qu Yang bequeathed the zither-and-flute score of the "Xiao Ao Jiang Hu" Song to Linghu Chong, with a wish that it be passed down to future generations. According to Liu Zhengfeng and Qu Yang, a significant portion of the zither score was adapted from "Guang Ling San", a zither melody attributed to Ji Kang of the Western Jin Dynasty (265-316AD).

The earliest written notation of "Guang Ling San" dates back to 1425AD, when it was found inside the Tai Gu Shen Pin (Amazing Ancient Works), the first half of the two-volume Shen Qi Mi Pu (Amazing Treasured Books) by Zhu Quan. Whether these books were dug out from an ancient tomb, as Qu Yang claimed, or not, cannot be confirmed at this point. However, since the story of the Smiling Proud Wanderer set in the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644AD), the date of the historical discovery of "Guang Ling San" lends a measure of credibility to the re-appearance of the work in the realm of wuxia.

Source: http://www.wuxiapedia.com/research/the_arts/xajh_song
    (registration/login required)
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo
    Wudang, together with Shaolin played a substantial role in this story, at the mid to later stages.
    oo no wonder.. i just need to wait for more translations then.. thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi

Based on the article below, which states the the written score of "Guang Ling San" was found around 1425, we can safely deduce that Smiling Proud Wanderer occurred some time in the middle of the Ming Dynasty, probably anything from 5-10 years or more after 1425.
    HuangYushi, thanks for the info & the link. so that song were really there... i thought only fiction..

This is my first time translating. tell me what you guys think.

This is continuing from hhuang's last translation.

Made a small correction to the line about LingHu Chong's internal energy. I went back to it when an explanation about his internal energy didn't make sense in Ch 22. The correction is about his original internal energy being repaired after learning XiXing DaFa. Because in Ch 22, it's said that he lost all of his original internal energy before learning XiXing DaFa.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    He didn't know that on top of the secret door there's a trap. When he rushed out, the trap rang a bell which informed Mr. Huang Zhong, Mr. Bald Brush and Mr. Paint that the door had been opened. He was now wearing Mr. Black-White's mask and robe, so no one was able to recognise him. However, LingHu Chong was still frightened.

"I.... I...." he stuttered.

"I what? I had a feeling that you were up to something. You went in the prison and ask Ren WoXing to teach you XiXing DaFa, didn't you? Humph..., did you remember what vow you pledged all those years ago?" Mr. Huang Zhong coldy said.

LingHu Chong was confused, he didn't know whether to keep pretending as Mr. Black-White or reveal himself. He was undecided for a while before he pulled out the long sword on his waist and thrusted it towards Mr. Bald Brush.

"Good second brother, is it appropriate for you to thrust that sword at me?" Mr. Bald Brush sniggered while lifting his brush at the same time.

This sword thrust by LingHu Chong put everyone on their guard. However, it was just a fake as he quickly turned around and dashed out of the room. Mr. Huang Zhong and the rest promptly chased after him.

After running for a while, he reached the front hall of the Plum Manor.

"Second brother, second brother, where are you going?" Mr. Huang Zhong shouted.

LingHu Chong didn't answer him and kept running. He arrived at the front courtyard where a person is guarding in the middle of the gate.

"Second master, please halt!" the guard shouted.

LingHu Chong kept running towards the guard and hit him head on. The guard flew outside and landed a few feet outside the gate. He took a look and recognised the guard as "straight line lightning sword" Ding Jian. He was lying down straight and stiff. His body resembling part of his nickname "straight line". He could now be called "double straight line lightning sword".

He never stopped moving his feet running towards a small lane. While Mr. Huang Zhong reached the gate and stopped chasing.

"Second brother, second brother, come back. We brothers can always talk things through," Mr. Huang Zhong pleaded.

LingHu Chong had picked a secluded little road to go to and arrived at an uninhabited valley, which is quite a few li away from HangZhou city's wall. He has been running flat-out since escaping from the Plum Manor. However, when he stopped, he didn't feel tired and was not even short of breath. On the other hand, his stamina seemed to have been better than before he got injured.

He then took off Mr. Black-White's mask and started walking towards the sound of running water, which turned out to be a creek. Using both hands to scoop some water to his mouth, he suddenly saw a person's reflection on the water. That person on the water has his hair loose, his face filthy, and had a very ugly expression. LingHu Chong was startled then laugh dumbly as he realised it was his own reflection on the water. He'd been a prisoner for several months and had not bathed during all that time, naturally he would turn dirty. Suddenly, he felt his body itched all over. He quickly removed his robe, jumped into the creek and washed every nook and cranny on his body.

"My body's dirt's been building up for these last few months, there must be at least 30 jin worth of dirt on me," he thought.

After he's done washing his body and drunk to his heart's content, he pulled his hair and tied it at the back of his head. Checking how he looked on the water reflection, he had recovered his natural look. As he was wearing his robe, he felt that the qi between his chest and stomach didn't feel smooth, so he sat down and meditated. After a while, he felt that the qi in his "dan tian" had scattered through the 8 arteries. Once again, the qi in his dan tian felt empty like the hollow of a bamboo. While his body felt refreshed and his qi smooth.

He didn't realise that he had finished learning the whole generation's number one ranked kungfu. Taking into consideration the Peach Valley's Six Fairies, Monk No Commandment and Fang-Sheng's 8 type of internal energy have merged in his body, also taking in Mr. Black-White's energy, and his whole life worth of internal energy repaired, all of these combined into a very high internal energy.

Suddenly, he jumped up, pulled out the long sword on his waist and thrusted it at a green willow at the side of the creek. His wrist trembled and a soft sound can be heard. The long sword was returned to its sheath. He then landed back down on his left foot. Lifting his head, he was able to see 5 leaves from the green willow slowly floating down.

The long sword cleared its sheath for the second time and made an arcing slash, all 5 leaves ended up on the sword's edge. Using his left hand, he picked up one of the green willow leaf from the sword's edge. A feeling of happiness rose in his heart, but he also felt strange.

"Master and master-wife can't teach me kungfu anymore. But, I prefer everything goes back to the way it was. Although Qi-branch sword technique is useless, I was happy at HuaShan Mountain, spending time with apprentice sister from morning till dusk. Now I'm wandering the Jiang Hu world alone like a ghost," he sourly thought to himself.

He felt that his kungfu had never been as high as at this moment, but he also felt that he had never felt as lonely as he was right now. All his life he'd always been lively and been fond of wine, but in the past few months, he'd been all alone locked away in an underground prison. However, even though his body was free at the moment, he still felt lonely. Standing by himself besides the creek, the feeling of happiness gradually dissappeared. The gentle wind brushed his body, the cold moon casting his shadow on the ground, and his heart's despair is boundless.

end of Chapter 21
    Last edited by pokit; 04-20-06 at 04:37 AM.

Thank you pokit and hhuang for your translation.
    At last LHC can escapse from the prison
    I wonder what bad things will happen to him in the next chapters
    A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.

Cool

Thank you very much Pokit for coming to the rescue. I had been so overwhelmed with work for these two weeks that I haven't been able to get back to translation. It's great you have picked up the slack. We all really appreciate it!

If you wouldn't mind translating more, since I'm so much slower, would you like me to translate another chapter ahead rather than continue on the next chapter?

Thanks again!

Thanks. Do you mind editing ch 22?
    Last edited by pokit; 04-19-06 at 08:14 AM.

thanks pokit for the translation- i had been checking every day to see if it had been updated :-D!

Hmmm, I think I see the problem with XXDF already and why it screws you up more than BMSG.

Everytime you absorb energy, you disperse it out. That can't be good.

With BMSG, it all settles and merges together inside the dan tian (where internal energy should be).

Quote Originally Posted by pokit
    Thanks. Do you mind editing ch 22?
    Not at all. I'd be very happy to edit (it will be a lot quicker than trying to look at the dictionary for every word!). I can PM you my email.

Cool! LHC has reached super power level. But what does he do now?