Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Spring Waltz review

I didn't think a lot of people liked it that much at all. I may be in the minority instead. I don't think it's a spectacular series, but there are charming moments. David Henney was sweet but even then his character was contrived since they wrote it especially for him after his audition for some other role and thought his acting was unique. The lead while not making as huge an impression as say Yon-sama actually does a great job for a new actor, which I am quite impressed with. There are some inconsistencies, in the way that Yeena still wants to marry Jae Ha knowing he's not even the same person. She didn't even feel he was the same boy she knew as a child and still wanted to marry him? That's just weird.

Story-wise Korean dramas are not known for originality. It sticks to a known formula that works. I really hate sad endings, which is probably why this drew me in more than the other Season dramas. I still don't get the fuss with Winter Sonata. The story is still as cliched and I thought while Choi Ji Woo and Yon-sama were reasonable as adults, the high school scenes just weren't convincing. They were too stiff. At least in Spring Waltz they just used child actors and the couple scenes were quite charming, though repetitive, in adulthood.

I'd give it a 3/5. I do think it deserved better ratings though. Given that it aired as the final instalment of the Seasons series I thought it had a comparative disadvantage in the first place. How many variations of childhood love stories can you get? I did love the scenery in Austria and Cheong San Do though.

Smile Spring Waltz review

I just started watching this yesterday and loving it! I don't quite agree with some of the criticisms about the lead actor -- this is the first time I've seen him but just liked him already -- considering this was his second drama made he's quite good and handsome! I can't wait to see Unstoppable Marriage with him in it plus Emperor of the Sea! The storyline of Spring Waltz in my opinion is a lot better than Summer Scent, I liked it in first episodes but it turned out to be lousy at the end! I prefer SW better than Summer Scent! The lead actress is very charming as well & they both have a good chemistry I must say! I highly recommend this drama series - simply one of my best Kdramas watched!! Hats off to the director, Soo de young, Han, D. Henney, the music or OST is just as beautiful, second to Winter Sonata!!

I know im late but im glad i watched this series. It's a typical long-lost, love-triangle filled with family conflicts type of romantic story but somehow "Spring Waltz" comes across as more sweet, alluring and heart-tugging than the usual romantic series I've seen. "Autumn in My Heart" is a classic imo but I think "Spring Waltz" is comparable. Unlike "Winter Sonata" and "Summer Scent" which plots and characters I couldnt really engage with despite all the tragic events, "Spring Waltz" actually managed to make me smile and even cry through certain scenes.

20 episodes as usual, is too much and there were many boring and unnecessary scenes but as for all K-dramas, I just fast-forwarded the unimportant parts and managed to finish the series in less than a day. As predictable as certain parts of the plot was, I still liked the story on the whole and I love the main leads, who i thought were well cast in their roles. It's nice and refreshing to see new faces and thank goodness they could act as well. I was slightly irked and disappointed when I first saw the male lead because it did seem that he was going to be another one of those good-looking but sullen and aloof wooden statutes but I'm glad the character was given space and time to develop and I thought Seo Do Young did quite a good job as the complex musician with a painful past. It did seem that he was overshadowed by Daniel in the beginning bits but his character slowly grew on me and I was rooting for him towards the end. The main actress, Han Hyo Joo, is a delight to watch as well- she has this natural air of innocence and a beautiful smile. I'm surprised that she was barely 20 when she filmed this because she seemed quite natural in her acting and had quite a range of expressions for different scenes. Daniel Henney's acting has improved in here as compared to MNIKSS, granted since his character had alot more screentime and space for development. His character is very suave, sweet and charming but somehow I just saw him and the female lead more as bosom buddies as opposed to really lovers, I guess the main leads still looked more compatible.

All in all, I liked the character developments, especially from child to adult; I thought the child actors for both leads as well as the male lead's little brother did impressive jobs. But like mentioned, it would have been better if they had gotten a child actor who resembles Seo Do Young more. Also, I dont agree that the series focused only/more on the female lead. I thought both the male and female leads had rather equivalent focus as in they both had their own set of problems to grapple with. If anything, the male lead had more to handle for not only had he to account to his childhood love but his adopted parents, irresponsible father and problem of dual identities.

Music-wise was mediocre though and I only liked 1 song, "Only Love". One of the series strengths though, has definitely got to be the scenery, especially the scenes in Austria and the yellow meadows where the leads played hide-and-seek when they were young- very beautiful and picturesque. Overall, though with some flaws and exaggeration here and there (especially how a finger cut can destroy the male lead's entire piano career), "Spring Waltz" is quite a memorable series. I dont know why it wasnt well-received and why the actors did not grow popular despite their performances but I'll give it about three and a half to four stars. Oh ya, the happy ending gets a plus from me as well. I know sad endings might make a larger impact but given the already depressing state of affairs in the series, a happy ending added a nice touch to the series on the whole.
    Last edited by sunnysnow; 05-21-08 at 10:07 AM.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

I dont know why it wasnt well-received and why the actors did not grow popular despite their performances
    The first three series had Song Seung Hun and Yon sama. Spring Waltz had no male lead like those.

Quote Originally Posted by JonDoe View Post
    The first three series had Song Seung Hun and Yon sama. Spring Waltz had no male lead like those.
    And I would think that the director was planning to attract viewers using the series itself rather than rely solely on the cast. Hence the use of new faces but perhaps u are right, most people might have been seeking known faces instead.

Both Song Seung Hun and Bae Yong Jun were rather experienced by the time they acted in the earlier 3 series but Seo Do Young and even Daniel are fresh faces and given their limited experience, I thought their performances in "Spring Waltz" was very decent, at least compared to several other newcomers. Also, I find Han Hyo Joo a rather capable actress, even more so than Song Hye Gyo in "Autumn in my Heart" though of course she's not as pretty as Song. My take is that the series on a whole was not well-received and hence the same goes for the cast, despite them doing good jobs or not. In the case of TV, it is usually a series which makes an actor well-known.
    Last edited by sunnysnow; 05-21-08 at 01:02 PM.

Wise Fool

It is partly because of the cast, if they have choose someone with good looking male lead, this series will become popular.

Among the four season, storyline wise I like this one the most. For cast and ost, I like Winter Sonata.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovewinter View Post
    It is partly because of the cast, if they have choose someone with good looking male lead, this series will become popular.

Among the four season, storyline wise I like this one the most. For cast and ost, I like Winter Sonata.
    Fans of Song Seung Hun and Bae Yong Jun, pls dont shoot me cause I think Seo Do Young and Daniel Henney are better-looking. Just my opinion though But I find the lead actresses in the previous series, especially Song Hye Kyo, Son Ye Jin etc. much prettier than the female characters in "Spring Waltz".
    Last edited by sunnysnow; 05-22-08 at 02:57 AM.

Wise Fool