Thread: Why didn't YG ask WYS sooner?

Default Why didn't YG ask WYS sooner?

When YG was training by the sea, he would often ask fishermen about the celestrial nun of the south sea but none of them heard of her. Then after nearly 16 years, he decided to acquire about her from WYS, the only person Wong Yung said had met her. I find it odd he waited that long to ask him.

WYS has a habit of roaming around. It is hard for YG to locate him.

Quote Originally Posted by Thai guy
    WYS has a habit of roaming around. It is hard for YG to locate him.
    I dont think YG even tried to find him.

Another "untold story" of Jin Yong's universe is YEUNG GOR: THE SIXTEEN SOLITARY YEARS. We know that he became the Divine Condor Hero during those years, but exactly where did he go? What kinds of people did he meet and what kind of adventures did he have? Sixteen years is a long time and much can happen to a person in sixteen years, especially in the world of wuxia. Given the fact that Yeung Gor didn't seem rooted to any one place during those sixteen years, he must have been quite well traveled by the time he reunited with Little Dragon Girl.

HR told YG that all males were killed on sight on the island, so it wouldn't make sense for him to actually try to locate them anyway. As to why he fell for the lie in the first place...well...maybe HR is just that good...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    What kinds of people did he meet and what kind of adventures did he have?
    It'll probably be disastrous for JY to account every detail in those 16 years as that would extend the novel by another book or so.

Well what we do know:

- During the immediate years he spent his time at Loveless Valley with his two sisters curing his condition and eradictaing all traces of the Passion Flower.

- After that he spent the next few years advancing onto the wooden sword stage. He probably created his palm technique at this time.

- He helped a prostitue rescue her daughter from some Mongolian bigshot.

- He impersonated a magistrate to mete out punishment on a corrupt Song officer.

- He rescued the son of a righteous Song official who was wrongfully put to death, and sought revenge on his behalf.

- He always sat by the beach and gazed into the sea.

- He made friends with many people, like current abbot of Shaolin, leader of Kunlun Sect, Xi Shan Cluster of Ghosts, 10000 Beast Manor etc, basically everyone who gave Guo Xiang a present on her birthday. Most of them were probably names conjured by JY out of thin air so readers will be unfamiliar with them.

- We know people from Guangdong, Lingan and Szechuan heard about his deeds, so he must have travelled about those points.
    The Truth is out there
    I say we leave it there...

Quote Originally Posted by MrIllusion
    HR told YG that all males were killed on sight on the island, so it wouldn't make sense for him to actually try to locate them anyway.
    Fear of death never stopped Yeung Gor before...especially not where Little Dragon Girl was concerned.

Moreover, how much does that death threat mean to an individual of Greats-level martial arts? I could see an ordinary man afraid of such a threat, but a Great?

As to why he fell for the lie in the first place...well...maybe HR is just that good...
    Or, it was preferable to believing the alternative (that Little Dragon Girl was dead).

Fear of death never stopped Yeung Gor before...especially not where Little Dragon Girl was concerned.

Moreover, how much does that death threat mean to an individual of Greats-level martial arts? I could see an ordinary man afraid of such a threat, but a Great?
    Well if YG won and angered the nun...she may just decide not to treat XLN. If he lost it would be game over...so it's kindof a lose-lose situation...
    The Truth is out there
    I say we leave it there...

HR told YG that all males were killed on sight on the island, so it wouldn't make sense for him to actually try to locate them anyway. As to why he fell for the lie in the first place...well...maybe HR is just that good...

I wasnt referring to YG locating the nun but why he didnt ask WYS sooner than waiting 16 years later to confirm HR story.

btw, YG only fell for the lie not because HR is that good but rather because SLN had left those writings on the stone and YG trust SLN.
    Last edited by Yeung Gor; 03-12-06 at 09:47 AM.

The human psyche is a strange thing. I think Yang Guo just wanted to believe that Xiao Long Nu was still alive.

Another "untold story" of Jin Yong's universe is YEUNG GOR: THE SIXTEEN SOLITARY YEARS. We know that he became the Divine Condor Hero during those years, but exactly where did he go? What kinds of people did he meet and what kind of adventures did he have? Sixteen years is a long time and much can happen to a person in sixteen years, especially in the world of wuxia. Given the fact that Yeung Gor didn't seem rooted to any one place during those sixteen years, he must have been quite well traveled by the time he reunited with Little Dragon Girl.

the first 10 years, he spent his time with the divine condor training the wooden sword stage near the sea.

Then he went on having those adventures, helping people out. This happens when he went to the passionless valey every year on the same date as when XLN went away. Just to see if she;d show up a year earlier. And then he'd wander back to the south seashore to question he fishermen there.

In the mean time it was mentioned that he tried to find wong yeuk sze, but couldn't find him
    Proud to be part of http://www.asianfanatics.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Yeung Gor
    I wasnt referring to YG locating the nun but why he didnt ask WYS sooner than waiting 16 years later to confirm HR story.
    Couldn;t find him.

btw, YG only fell for the lie not because HR is that good but rather because SLN had left those writings on the stone and YG trust SLN.

Not only that, XLN asked him if he'd still listen and do the things she wants him to do. He said he'd always listen to her. And that's to make sure that he'd follow her order for him to stay alive and wait for him for 16 years
    Proud to be part of http://www.asianfanatics.net/

YG must not be very smart when he's mislead by a randomly made-up nonexistent wuxia persona. Then again, he was blinded by love you could say.
    林家有女玉啄成
    嫣然巧笑艳冠人
    纤纤起舞随风动
    疑似飞燕又重生

i think when he was sitting there waiting for her to show up after the 16 years it was mentioned that he thought himself stupid for not realising that she had died 16 years ago.

he thought at the time something along the lines of "if i shall die now when xln would return 16 years later, we won't be able to meet."

like most people said...its because he really didn't want to believe that she was dead...he was holding onto his last hope.

There is a problem though... It says that YG would usually whistle in response to HYS's Jade Flute, and he never did that before during the time the novel stalked him. Furthermore, half a day of seeing each other is hardly enough to create a habit... So he must have picked up this habit during the 16 years.
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

- He impersonated a magistrate to mete out punishment on a corrupt Song officer.
    I take it that magistrate had 1 arm too? :P

He didn't go looking for HYS because he wanted to wait in Passionless valley in case XLN came back early. Then he left and wandered. Doing good deeds probably helped him wait out the 16 years. Also, HYS was not an easy man to find. A great that wants to roam and not be bothered is a person you will never find unless by chance.
    Last edited by JigSta; 08-16-06 at 11:42 AM.
    All that's needed to say have been said, why say anything more? The man is drunk, why stay any longer?....
    Quote Originally Posted by Question
    if CarMAN Lee hair is green, then am sure carMAN #$%@ a dog to give birth to you.

I dont think YG even tried to find him.
    that and it's not really that easy to just find a person, WYS didn't stay at one spot, he moved around as much as YG. I don't think they have cell phone or email or even snail mail back then, besides WYS didn't even have a forwarding address.

When YG was training by the sea, he would often ask fishermen about the celestrial nun of the south sea but none of them heard of her. Then after nearly 16 years, he decided to acquire about her from WYS, the only person Wong Yung said had met her. I find it odd he waited that long to ask him.

Uhh don't you know why YOU didn't ask sooner? Why ask us. LOL

Hmm seriously, I think that was just some absentmindedness (pre-occupied with missing XLN) on his part or perhaps trying to search for WYS was a little difficult for him.

Also HR could've have acted in a manner which was very believable to him that he didn't think about confirming it with WYS.

What did YG do in his solitary 16 Years?
    As most said already, training and serving justice.

I think it should also be mentioned that YG also fought and never had a tough opponent. How would all those leaders obey and respect YG so much? I imagine that YG has to at least beat them or show his superioty in some way to make the others respect him. Look at YG when he showed his prowness against the Shi Animal Tamers. Almost immeditialy after that, everyone listened to YG, so I imagine that YG fought a lot of top martial artists such as that Kwun Lun Leader Chin Lin Zhi IIRC. And YG most likely overwhelmed them all because in the ZBT vs. YG battle, JY stated that YG never met a true opponent after mastering Melancholic Sad Palm until ZBT. So I imagine YG being a bit like XF.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的“一阳指”功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

If he wanted to find HYS all he had to do was stake out Peach Blossom Island. I find it hard to believe that in 16 years HYS would not return home at least once.
    TristeCoeur on Lady Yang: Someone needs 2 tell her that when u want 2 save people from being killed, u need to hurry the hell up, not play bull#### music & dance around. Her mission failed big time