Thread: HSDS questions

Default HSDS questions

Exams are over so i took the time to re-read this novel again and found some nagging questions which i hope u guys can explain and answer... my apologies if they sound silly or have been answered before..

1) when ZWJ was fighting Ah San (??) (the begger elder with the heavenly sword) at mount Wudang, he managed to chop/slice off his arm with a wooden sword. Was it the profound 9yang internal that enabled him to do that or was it the lethal move of Taiji Jian Fa that enabled him to slice off that arm like a hot knife through butter?

2) Wudang "soft palms" that SYQ and SQS used at the battle of Brightness peak is not the same as Taiji Quan yes? How would Wudang "soft palms" and Taiji Quan faced against ZBT's vacant fist? since both contains a mixture of "softness"..

3) when the four Kunlun experts fought the three "Du" generation monks in Shaolin, why did the three monks kill them? or was in Chen Kun who did it...
    (i'm not very clear on this...)

4) At the battle at Mount wudang, ZWJ was able to use taiji quan in one hand and QKDNY in the other when facing Ah Da(??). Is this move something like the right and left techinque of ZBT? If so, how come when he was facing the XuanMing elders and healing ZZR and ZM, he was not able to use QKDNY as he was using his 9yang to heal both ladies but rather used the Sacred Fire Divine Skill to ward off the elders? Does this mean that 9yang is not compatible with QKDNY?

5) ZWJ was able to purge poison out of his body with 9yang, does this mean that 9yang is the bane of all poison Kung fu? How would someone with 9yang go up against someone like Ouyang Feng and DGSD's DQC?

6) It is mentioned that at their peaks, 9yang and Shaolin's internal were about the same, so does this mean that XF's internal is about the same as ZWJ?
    Last edited by druid; 03-12-06 at 02:44 AM.

try my best to answer

1) It was the 9yang internal energy. U mean the former Beggar Clans' elder, Fang Dongbai, he is Ah Da.. Initially when the duel between ZWJ and this Ah Da started, Ah Da showed tremendous internal energy while wielding the Heavenly Sword, ZWJ started to supress this powerful stroke by using Taiji swordplay by using a semi-curve circle. Throughout the duel, ZWJ used the Taiji Swordplay to create Taiji circles or Taiji strings that is able to surround the Heavenly Sword. Both swords rarely clashed with each other.

ZWJ was wieding the wooden sword with his right hand, while his left hand's two fingers was" 捏著剑决". When the Heavely Sword was suddenly striking heavily towards his chest, he used this two fingers from his left hand to hold on to the Heavenly Sword. Then wield the wooden sword with his 9 Yang energy and chop off the Ah Da's shoulder.

2) Do you mean the soft palm as "锦掌“? Taiji Quan and Taiji Swordplay were not completed until when ZWJ returned back to Wudang after being Ming Sect's Leader. So this 锦掌 is not the same as Taiji Quan. But they definetly have taoism principles in it. Not very sure about Kongming Quan, maybe you can ask the others...

3) The four Kunlun people are the leader He Taichong, Ban Shunen and two other hightly-skilled disciples in Kunlun. Cheng Kun killed the four of them. While Cheng Kun was dealing with the two disciples. HTC and BSN both were fighting and trying to break the “金刚伏魔圈” of the three "Du" Generation Monks. Both of them were being throwed out of the the circle, and suffered injury. Then Cheng Kun then appeared and killed the two of them with a sword.. Before that, Cheng Kun purposely showed that he is weaker than the two disciples, by letting them win and they run to the "DU" monks. When the two disciples saw He Taichong and Ban Shunen dead, they went straight to challenge the "Du" monks, being throwed out of the “金刚伏魔圈”, suffered injury, then Cheng Kun killed them. Cheng Kun is clearly using the "Du" Generation Monks to help weaken and injure the four of them, before he kill them.

4) 9 Yang Shengong is compatible/complement with Qiankun Dano Yi. With 9 Yang Shengong as your foundation, you can easily learn most martial arts with ease.

It is said in the novel, that if you learn QKDNK first before learning 9Yang, ZWJ probably won't even go past QKDNY Level 1. But on the contrary, if ZWJ learned 9Yang first before learning QKDNY, he can easily reach to QKDNY Level 6. With 9yang as your foundation, it helps to understad the QKDNY concepts and theory easier. Both these martial arts combine very well with each other. With only 9Yang, ZWJ only have high internal energy but don't know how to fight. But with 9Yang + QKDNY, he knows how to fight and defend using this internal energy.

5) 9Yang can easily purge out Shi Xiang Ruan Jing San easily. I'm not very sure on this, I haven't read DGSD. But I do saw on TV before that DCQ's poison skills are vert good, probably on par with Wang Nangu.

6) Not very sure, but Yijin Jing and 9Yang both originite from Shaolin. But XF didn't learn YJJ, so I'm not very sure about XF's martial arts.
    Last edited by Extremer88; 03-12-06 at 05:04 AM.
    ..ext88

originally posted by Extremer88

6) Not very sure, but Yijin Jing and 9Yang both originite from Shaolin. But XF didn't learn YJJ, so I'm not very sure about XF's martial arts.
    Well, 9yang was using taoist principles while i think YJJ was based on Buddhist principles. Also it was said that 9yang was "created" bya friend of WYC in third edition so apart from both been found in Shaolin, i think there is where all the Similarities end.

originally posted by Extremer88

4) 9 Yang Shengong is compatible/complement with Qiankun Dano Yi. With 9 Yang Shengong as your foundation, you can easily learn most martial arts with ease.

It is said in the novel, that if you learn QKDNK first before learning 9Yang, ZWJ probably won't even go past QKDNY Level 1. But on the contrary, if ZWJ learned 9Yang first before learning QKDNY, he can easily reach to QKDNY Level 6. With 9yang as your foundation, it helps to understad the QKDNY concepts and theory easier. Both these martial arts combine very well with each other. With only 9Yang, ZWJ only have high internal energy but don't know how to fight. But with 9Yang + QKDNY, he knows how to fight and defend using this internal energy

correct me if i'm wrong, but i do not think it was ever stated in the novel that 9yang works well with QKDNY, unlike taiji quan when powered by 9yang was supposed to be very powerful.

True with 9Yang, u could learn any kind of material arts super fast but that does not mean it compatible/complement with QKDNY. understanding the QKDNY concepts and theories were done without 9 yang (IMO) since what ZWJ did was just follow the instructions on how to attained the various levels like channelling his qi around. An example of being compatible would be like using QKDNY and the Sacred Fire Divine Skill. 9Yang over here is just used to learn QKDNY (IMO)

In addition in the novel, it was said that ZWJ never fully intergated 9yang, QKDNY, Taiji Quan into one complete supreme art.

9Yang was created by a person who beat WCY through drinking during one day at Songshan, and was able to take a look at the Jiuying Zhenjing. That person whole life was a taoist and a buddhist, with no preferences.

He created 9Yang as he wants a martial arts that has better 阴阳调和 than compared to 9Yin which is purely yin. The 9Yang is written in a sanskrit buddhism manual which belongs to Shaolin.

Quote Originally Posted by druid
    correct me if i'm wrong, but i do not think it was ever stated in the novel that 9yang works well with QKDNY, unlike taiji quan when powered by 9yang was supposed to be very powerful.

True with 9Yang, u could learn any kind of material arts super fast but that does not mean it compatible/complement with QKDNY. understanding the QKDNY concepts and theories were done without 9 yang (IMO) since what ZWJ did was just follow the instructions on how to attained the various levels like channelling his qi around. An example of being compatible would be like using QKDNY and the Sacred Fire Divine Skill. 9Yang over here is just used to learn QKDNY (IMO)

In addition in the novel, it was said that ZWJ never fully intergated 9yang, QKDNY, Taiji Quan into one complete supreme art.
    An example of 9Yang that combines/complements with QKDNY, was during ZWJ's first battle with the three "Du" Generation monks, when the black string was going towards ZWJ, the black string that comes with it contains tremendous internal energy that could instantly break bones and ribs.

In that paragraph, it was stated that ZWJ already knew how strong those "Du" Generation Monks were with their black strings, after seeing four Kunlun experts being injured by these black strings. When ZWJ was personally attacked by them, ZWJ was more frightened.

Being under heavy attack from those 3 "Du" monks, ZWJ combine 9Yang and QKDNY well to overcome this:

Taken from HSDS Chapter 36 (Third Edition)

便在这一刹那间,他右手后挥,拔开重身后笼至的两条黑索,左手乾坤大挪移心法混著九阳神功,先提后送,身随 劲起,飕的一声,直冲上天。

I translated it from traditional to simplified chinese, so some characters may be incorrect.

Hence, 9Yang can be combined with QKDNY.
    ..ext88

When ZWJ got hit by the poison at Brightness Peak, he was definitely affected by it, he got dizzy and so on. I don't think it was specifically 9 Yang that let him purge it, but rather just the fact that he had great internal energy and reacted quickly; if he had been just a little slower he would have been in much trouble. So he's not immune to poison or anything like that.

To K2Grey & Extremer88 , thanks alot for answering my questions....

What about the other questions such as 6) and 4)? is there any hope that someone will ans it?

oh yea got another question for u guys...

when fighting ah (??) (the monk with high internal energy) at Mt. Wudang....
    ZWJ was able to "adsorb" (or so to speak) his internal energy from his palm strike and with his own, manage to defeat him. Was ZWJ using QKDNY or Taiji quan?
    Cos i remember that in the fight with FY, ZWJ was able to store FY's punches (??) with QKDNY before releasing them at one go....

I think ZWJ used his 9Yang energy to hit back at Ah Er. When Ah Er was regulating this internal energy for one last poweful palm towards ZWJ, Yu Daiyan shouted for ZWJ to attack the Ah Er unexpectedly. Ah Er raised both his arms towards ZWJ, ZWJ used his 9Yang energy to knock back the energy from the two arms back to Ah Er.

During the fight with Fan Yao, ZWJ was able use his right to halt FY's palm strike with his Taiji, then attack FY with his left palm using Taiji Quan.

Taken from HSDS Chapter 26 (Edition 3)
    张无忌一招 [如封似闭],将他拳力封住,跟著一招 [单鞭],左掌已拍在他背上,这一掌没发内力,手掌一沾即离。
    ..ext88

originally posted by K2Grey

When ZWJ got hit by the poison at Brightness Peak, he was definitely affected by it, he got dizzy and so on. I don't think it was specifically 9 Yang that let him purge it, but rather just the fact that he had great internal energy and reacted quickly; if he had been just a little slower he would have been in much trouble. So he's not immune to poison or anything like that.
    M i right to say that having high internal energy gives one resistance to poisons and poison attacks? While not all KungFu that gives high internal strength are able to purge poison? An example would be BMSG and XXDF would not very effective in purging out poison as compared to 9Yang and YJJ?

I think with powerful 9Yang energy in your body, you can easilly purge out poison faster than anybody. This is clearly seen when ZWJ only needed a short time to purge out the poison of the Shi Xiang Run Jing San on the unknown island, in which the poison was done by Zhou Zhiruo.

Not very sure about resistance level, but powerful poison should hard to resist or prevent. Not very sure about BMSG and XXDF. Not very sure about YJJ, BMSG, XXDF.
    ..ext88