Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Better Halves

a little island east of america and west of europe

Default Em's rose tinted glasses strike again...

I would disagree with you afterpaige...

Better Halves isn't in the same slapstick comedic league as Virtues of Harmony, neither is it the same type of ancient tragedy like Where the Legend Begins or (the original) Perish in the Name of Love. In my opinion it is well made, easy on the eyes, light-hearted and just a bit of fun.

The subject matter is fresh and it touches on a lot of historical oddity that happened in the Tang Dynasty where marriage became fashionable and matchmakers became the equivalent of the stock market traders of today. I felt that there was a fair bit of research done into the theme and although coupled with the touch of comedy through the show, it still put forward very strongly the old Chinese traditions of marriage, honour and virtue and family values.

I think that the cast intentionally exaggerated their characters in line with the tone of the show and they did a pretty good job really. Just think, if they didn't ham up then the show wouldn't have that gentle humour that it's supposed to bring. Don't forget that HK is going through some hard times at the moment, so it's in everyone's interests to cheer things up and I think that is the purpose behind the producer's concept in this show.

As for Auguste - his part isn't that big in this show and his Cantonese has improved a lot now. And with stars like Cerina, she's pretty cute and you have to give her a chance, since Cantonese isn't her first language. Steven is just Steven in that I neither like nor dislike him, but I can't think of anyone else would have fit the role better than him. Maggie's role was one that could have suited a few female leads, but I guess she was the one who was selected and whilst I agree it isn't the most challenging of roles, she did a good job. Joyce Coi was the perfect selection for the role in question and Moses did steal the show with his dry humour and dumb reactions.

For fear of this remark turning into another long-winded essay, I will stop here. If you're looking for a strong dramatic story and serious ancient action, then give this a miss. If you want something a bit different and a bit of a laugh, then this relaxing show is one to chill out to in the warm summer days!

I disagree about VOH. I find the series quite amusing and the comedy quite clever and smart. The lines are witty and sharp. Sure, sometimes they do "stupid" things, but still it's funny as the witty lines are balanced by these actions. Well I think so anyway.
    timeless: the VIRTUES OF HARMONY network
    Virtues of Harmony ... winning hearts since 2001

I will be in ep 7 tonight. I find the parts with Moses and Joyce Coi were quite boring. Moses repeated the same poem for many times. Also, his character was quite illogical that he knew so many things (martial art, poem, gambling etc.).

Moreover, Cerina could not act. She could only read out the scripts with no facial expression. I agree that she is pretty cute in ancient costume (even better than in modern). I hope that her acting can improve in other series. I think she has potential to become famous actress in TVB. Maggie is always enjoyable. Steven is ok in the series. He can act better in comedy (pls don't act in series like PITNOL and WTLB, I hate his unchangeable facial expression in those series).

I finally got a chance to rent this serie! And I'm finishing eps # 8. I agree that scenes with Moses and Joyce are quite boring, but I think later on it would be interesting how those two pair-up. I also agree with Em that Joyce is the perfect selection for this role and, Cerina can't act, but I do insist to give her a chance since this is her first time in acting.
    "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail".

I like this show. It's funny and light-hearted.
    I especially like Steven and Maggie b/c they make the whole show comedic.....I think Steven did a better job here than in "Perish in the name of love"
    Somehow, I find that he and Maggie got more chemistry than with Charmaine.

I finished the show already and I do like it, the cast has very good chemistry, even Moses and Joyce who I thought didn't match at all at first actually look quite nice together. Even if it's what people call the "old" plot, it was very entertaining, which is what television shows are for anyway.

How did everything resolve in the end?

Btw, did you guys know that Maggie is older than Steven?
    "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail".

Originally posted by Cece
    Btw, did you guys know that Maggie is older than Steven?
    Yep, I know... But Maggie doesn't look older than Steven in the series.

I want to know whether Joyce Coi is older than Moses. She looks old...

It's a nice happy ending though I don't quite like the way they didn't show the weddings. I was looking forward to that the most after seeing the trailers and promotional pictures. What a waste of those really nice (and expensive) costumes.

how many chapters is this show?
    which chapter did Maggie and Steven get together?

a little island east of america and west of europe

Originally posted by pepper
    how many chapters is this show?
    which chapter did Maggie and Steven get together?
    There are 20 episodes.
    Maggie and Steven don't get together until right at the end in true TVB fashion!

Message from MetalAZNWarrior:

The Better Halves site has been updated with loads of new stuff and is now reopened and ready for business - check it out!

http://betterhalves.freeservers.com

Default Re: Em's rose tinted glasses strike again...

Originally posted by Em
    ... Moses did steal the show with his dry humour and dumb reactions.
    agree with Em.

Moses's deadpan expressions were hilarious and I couldn't help but roll my eyes each time he starts to recite poetry

Originally posted by Em
    Maggie and Steven don't get together until right at the end in true TVB fashion!
    nice, happy ending for everyone. Funny too how their kids totally take after them
    [size=1]"Now that I know there's something to know, I can't not know, just because I'm afraid somebody will know I know. You know?"[/size]

who is cerina? which character was she?

Cerina is the one Moses loved at the beginning.

Cerina:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.fansland.com/files/10030/pic_1033779944730.jpg')

Originally posted by tvbthemevideo

I want to know whether Joyce Coi is older than Moses. She looks old...
    Ya. I was curious about that too. Does anyone know the answer for the above question?

huh??Em...after reading all ur comments, I just feel...strange!!!In Hong Kong (at least people I noe), most of us are more interested on Moses Chan and Joyce Coi's line!! (The storyline of Steven and Maggie is just too common)...and non of us think its boring, maybe because we (chinese as 1st language) can understand those poems more easily.
    Cece: em.......I think no one here can answer yout question, cause no one noes how old Joyce Coi is. (or maybe her close fans noe) But I guess Joyce Coi is about the same age as Moses Chan.
    Last edited by Cyn; 07-23-03 at 05:09 AM.
    Cynthiaaa~

I am in HK too. I am only interested in Maggie Cheung. I don't think Joyce should end up with Moses.... Their line was very boring at the beginning. Their line is ok now as Moses did not read the poems and Joyce was not conceited anymore. But her female look is just...

Default my comments...

ok...here comes my comments.
    I agree with wut Em, the subject matter is fresh and more interesting. But, the storyline of the couple- Steven and Maggie is too old and "typical", dislike the storyline of Joyce and Moses.
    For actor and actress, Maggie and Steven did their part, since their character is not challenging, I dont find any surprise from them. Joyce and Moses is quite good, Joyce did great as a man (coz she's familar with it) and Moses is ok too. (but not outstanding). Cerina did ok as her first series even tho Cantonese is not her first language. But personally I dun like her character, I think it's too troublesome.
    Lastly, I enjoy watching Joyce and Moses. Joyce is soo handsome being a man!!! <= OK, that's not my comment, thats something that most ppl agree with it.

P.S. I noe I got tons of grammer mistake, sorry!!! Anyway, I haven't been here for ages!!! (Cause Im having exam and I cant spend that much time on giving comments and stuff!!><)
    Cynthiaaa~

Originally posted by tvbthemevideo
    I am in HK too. I am only interested in Maggie Cheung. I don't think Joyce should end up with Moses.... Their line was very boring at the beginning. Their line is ok now as Moses did not read the poems and Joyce was not conceited anymore. But her female look is just...
    I agree that she looks quite....in female look. But...huh? So you watched the drama...just for Maggie??????
    Cynthiaaa~