Thread: Dugu Qiubai article

Default Dugu Qiubai article

I found an interesting article on Dugu Qiubai on the internet, here is the link.

http://www.ezeem.com/Forum/Read.asp?...2595&mode=next
    ..ext88

The article was pretty good at the beginning, but the tone turned quite cocky later on.

这所谓的 "无剑胜有剑之境"不难理解,当 是指"无形剑气"而言的了。
    I think this theory, although possible, is nothing more than speculation.

而且独孤求败的"无形剑 气"与段誉的"六脉神剑"又有所不同。其一,独孤求败的"无形剑气" 是自创的,与段誉学自图谱的"六脉神剑"相比,其难易程度自不可同 日而语;其二,"六脉神剑"尚有剑招,而独孤求败的"无形剑气"则 显然是无招的,其高下又有分别。
    First of all, Dugu Qiubai never associated himself with 无形剑气 (Invincible sword energy) did he? This is wild speculation. But OK. It doesn't mean that Dugu Qiubai's sword art can overcome a practioner of 6 Meridian Swords. I mean, Dugu 9 Swords couldn't even overcome a random practioner of some unorthodox Sunflower Volumes. Just because Dugu Qiubai came up with his own sword art doesn't mean it is more effective than 6MSJ. In my opinion, the creator of 6MSJ, who possibly had enough energy to wield all 6 swords, would beat the crap out of Dugu Qiubai's silly a$$. Dugu Qiubai may be great compared to later generations but I believe he may not hold a candle to the pre-DGSD masters.

杨过 ... 始终没能达到"木剑级"的境界。
    Why would Yang Guo need to reach the wooden sword stage, if he can beat the sh*t out of a wooden sword practioner? OK, I'm not saying that Yang Guo is better off without reaching the next level, but reaching an advanced level, although makes you look nice, is not the only way to attain greater proficiency, and doesn't guarantee superiority over someone who hasn't reached it. The author of this article seems to think that Dugu Qiubai is the best in Jin Yong canon precisely because he reached the "no sword" stage, but he neglected the notion that the advancement of martial arts is only one of many factors that count. I don't care if you have reached the highest stage in martial arts (nothingness, stanceless, "no sword", whatever), but if Murong Longchen has 10 times higher internal energy than you, then you're f*cked regardless.
    Last edited by PJ; 03-15-06 at 12:11 PM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Dugu Qiubai's popularity is driven entirely by 'cool factor'. Just like the iPod. The iRiver is just as good if not better in terms of features, but it's the iPod people think of as the best MP3 player because it's just plain designed cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    The author of this article seems to think that Dugu Qiubai is the best in Jin Yong canon precisely because he reached the "no sword" stage...
    I think he's one of the best for the same reason. But he's not the best for the exact same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    I don't care if you have reached the highest stage in martial arts (nothingness, stanceless, "no sword", whatever), but if Murong Longchen has 10 times higher internal energy than you, then you're f*cked regardless.
    Please explain why.

Palm blast from 30 meters with beautiful technique, good luck dealing with that. It's like claiming that you'll use Vacant Fist to block a ICBM, regardless of the nature of your stances (since everyone uses stances, whether they are stanceless or not) it's big, you're small, man was not meant to be as gods.

Edit: I don't actualy think the iRivers are a good value. The X5 might be a better comparison, but I'm fairly sure the iPod is still a better buy.