Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Commonwealth Games

Quote Originally Posted by mysterl0us
    what's that SPECIFFICALLY supposed to mean? i know he's making a joke, but i'm only angry because you say my posts are stupid when i only posted a question. isn't it more stupid if someone posts untrue info about a swimming star and expects it to be funny?
    and no, i'm not being picked on anymore because i dobbed them in and they chickened out.
    The thing is, you should have known before starting the thread that the US is not part of the Commenwealth, the British Commonwealth that is. The first time I heard of the Commenweath Games, the first thing I did was asked what they were. Obviously, you're not that curious type and you're willing to sacrifice your face. In reality, you don't even realize how weird you are.

Your way of thinking is much weirder than let's say Candide's. The latter was only making a joke and you swisted it by saying Candide is posting untrue info. Have you ever listened to a joke? There's hardly any facts in jokes.

So you don't get picked on anymore eh? Do you have friends then?
    Last edited by Canuck21; 03-25-06 at 04:11 PM.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Quote Originally Posted by Anais
    Perhaps the person thought of 'commonwealth' as those self-governing places in voluntary association with the U.S. such as Puerto Rico and the Northern Marianas, and mistakenly assumed that the same applied for Scotland, Northern Ireland and the other nations in the Games (though why he or she would assume so baffles me).

(I was actually under the impression that he or she was making some sort of a joke or gibe at the U.S. when I first read that 'where's the US' remark. Unfortunately, it was a real question.)
    A normal person would wonder what these games are about. In this day and age with the internet et al, there's no excuse not to find out.

There's no excuse for someone living in Australia, a Commonwealth country, not to know what the Commonwealth is.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    There's no excuse for someone living in Australia, a Commonwealth country, not to know what the Commonwealth is.
    It's actually frightening how many people living in Commonwealth countries don't know what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by dgfds01
    It's actually frightening how many people living in Commonwealth countries don't know what it is.
    i actually never realised that

i always thought people just saw it as a mini olympics type thing, with crapper competitors

The games are ending soon, so anything to look forward for except the world cup in germany?
    ..ext88

i watched the gymnasts performed in the overall and individual events. i couldnt believe that the canadian gymnast, Alexandra won 6 gold medals for those events. congratulations to her.

however, the malaysian team gymnasts did well too by winning silver medals and bronce medals. congratulations and well done.

I didn't follow these Games at all. Today I just looked at the medal standing and Australia is SO strong. I wish Canada would be that good one day. Maybe we'll be like that in winter sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88
    The games are ending soon, so anything to look forward for except the world cup in germany?
    Well according to my work colleagues, Aussie rules Football. I live in Melbourne, Aus, host to Comm games 2006 and home to football mania. The footy season is starting this weekend and all my colleagues being the obsessed footy fans they are, can't wait. While I'm counting down the days till footy mania takes over. I've never understood the obsession with the games and the teams they barrack for. They follow the games religiously for so many weeks and of course theirs the footy tipping. And when its the finals, I can't believe fans camp outside for nights just to get tickets. The main arena that the Comm games are held in , The MCG, is actually the main venue for footy games (for those non aussies readers).
    Jessica Hsuan + Louis Koo = Amazing Chemistry!

"มารอยู่ในจิต สวรรค์อยู่ในใจ"
    Life on Paper
    Thaitanium