Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Any Badminton Fans?

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle
    sheraldine,
    Don't write off LCW. You never know when he will bounce back - it could happen it the middle of the game, who knows. He is an excellent player, and I don't have any problem placing him among the top 10 in the world.
    i am not writing him off dearie, but LCW is something like a past player(s) i have seen and known. I never doubted LCW ability and talent, but just realized that these two alone does not guarantee him among top three, or five. i agree with you, he among top ten - yes

Well, I am also in agreement with you - ability and talent are not enough to take you to the top, one also need determination to work hard to achieve the objectives. And from the way LCW used to play, he does not seem to be a person to give up easily. There must be something affecting his results.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    the way LCW used to play, he does not seem to be a person to give up easily. There must be something affecting his results.
    lee was involved with an accident months ago... after that, his game was affected till now.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by sheraldine View Post
    lee was involved with an accident months ago... after that, his game was affected till now.
    I also read about the accident. I did not hear if the accident left injuries that could affect his game. Could there be something else?

Anyways, I bit of surprise that Bonsaak, the Thai player won the Singapore Open. Bonsaak is a very talented and intelligent player, but seems lacking the desire to get to the top. Would like to watch the match how he was able to beat Lin Dan in earlier rounds and Chen Yu in the final.

Also interested in the MD finals between CTF/LWW against CY/FHF. I always thought the Malaysians held a slight edge over the Chinese team...

Talk to you again later.

Cheers

I also read about the accident. I did not hear if the accident left injuries that could affect his game. Could there be something else?
    Cheers
    well of course they are not going to alarm us with such news. serious or not, we wouldnt know but such thing can be affected. just look m seles of tennis, she never regained her form no matter how she tried. but we are not talking about her, it is about him, and soon after, he and coach parted ways. again, we wouldnt know how much he is affected. really, all the scenes kept repeating, we have good and talented players, we have hardworking and determined sportmen, but somehow, we failed to produce the spirit of yesteryears. it is a vicious cycle, from game to attitude, from politic to mismanagement. did you read the recent development between a certain player? honestly, waste of columns.

as for Boonsak, he enjoyed the game tempo and plays in his best spirit. that is why he won fair and square, unlike china, whose players played just to dominate every game and sport. being a chinese i used to side china and their games, but in recent years, i regretted their pressured wins and pitied them so very much, if they lost. we wouldnt know what awaiting them, would we?

I was pleasantly surprised with Boonsak. Quite a shock defeat for Lin Dan. Boonsak's always been there lurking in the sidelines and scaring higher ranked players. Good on him for finally coming through.

All in all, the Thais did really well. They're no badminton powerhouse, yet they managed to produce two finalists (the other's mixed doubles). Other than China, no other country managed that.

LCW and KKK/TBH disappointments again. LCW - I'm not surprised. KKK/TBH - what can I say? The only positives from the last two outings was that they were beaten by fellow Malaysians. It does say quite a bit though. Is it that they can't win without Rexy's help? If that's the problem, it isn't too bad. Experience and maturity will take care of that. But what if it's something else? We'll see how the Indon Open goes.

Positives for Malaysia came in the form of oldies - Wong Choong Hann getting is act right and Choong Tan Fook/Lee Wan Wah finding their form. I believe the 21-point system is a blessing for the older players.

Sheraldine, as for the other player dominating the headlines... if BAM give in to him I'll lose all faith in them.

Quote Originally Posted by dgfds01 View Post
    I was pleasantly surprised with Boonsak. Quite a shock defeat for Lin Dan. Boonsak's always been there lurking in the sidelines and scaring higher ranked players. Good on him for finally coming through.

Positives for Malaysia came in the form of oldies - Wong Choong Hann getting is act right and Choong Tan Fook/Lee Wan Wah finding their form. I believe the 21-point system is a blessing for the older players.

Sheraldine, as for the other player dominating the headlines... if BAM give in to him I'll lose all faith in them.
    well actually, lin dan was shocked many times by variety of players he is best, yes, but like i said before, you cannot win every game.

WCH and double TF/WW only can produced surprises now and then but sadly, age is catching up.

i lost faith with BAM long long time ago, ever since they treated those foreign coaches who were champions in their own right and whose job were to groom the malaysian team. thanks to BAM, every players got screwed up and ended ruining every games. aside from BAM, malaysian sportmen are spoilt lot, especially those someone(s).

Age - the new 21-point system might prolong careers. About the only positive attached to it. And for some, ie Tony Gunawan/Chandra Wijaya and Erikson/Lungaard Hansen, age doesn't seem to stop them.

There are also plenty of examples from other sports of athletes going well beyond the "old-age" barrier - Martina Navratilova (tennis) and Teddy Sherringham (football) for example. I believe a lot of it is about attitude and the desire to keep going. It's tough to keep up that kind of punishing routine for years and years. Most people are happy to retire and relax after a certain point. A small minority are different. They keep going, whether it's for the love of the game or the hunger for more. Eventually an end will come but the exact point depends very much on the player.

BAM - ok, lets just say they'd have sunk to new lows. That list of demands is presposterous. Claiming prize money? Oh for goodness sake!

Pampered M'sian athletes - a lot depends on the sport and the umm, special criteria. You could hardly call Nicol David pampered. Everything she has, she won through grit, determination and hard work. No handouts for her.
    Last edited by dgfds01; 05-07-07 at 06:57 AM.

Age - the new 21-point system might prolong careers. About the only positive attached to it. And for some, ie Tony Gunawan/Chandra Wijaya and Erikson/Lungaard Hansen, age doesn't seem to stop them.
    well, they are not malaysian, arent they? they have the spirit and discipline, where malaysian players lack. but then again....

as for nicol, yeah, that girl did a good job. whether she wins or loses, she is still a champion. now that the spirit and sportmanship after all, roger f and tiger w won most games, but even they cant win every game, can they?

Sheraldine,

I am not sure if I understood correctly about the pressured wins by Chinese players. China being a power house in badminton is naturally expected to win every tournament their player participate. I assume the same thing occurs with other powerhouses as well: Indonesia, Korea, Malaysia, etc...

Personally I don't like the 21-point rule change. The main idea was make the length of the matches more predictable.

Interestingly enough in singles, it appears to me the players adopted a more cautious approach and thus making the matches longer. The ladies, i.e. Zhang Ning opined that the matches became longer, and this affected the recovery for following matches and could also contribute to more injuries.

In doubles, the game is much faster and the 1 serve per side, often made the matches just too short.

Not sure if the 21 rule change did achieve its objectives. Time will tell if it was a right decision.

Personally I don't like the 21-point rule change. The main idea was make the length of the matches more predictable.

Interestingly enough in singles, it appears to me the players adopted a more cautious approach and thus making the matches longer. The ladies, i.e. Zhang Ning opined that the matches became longer, and this affected the recovery for following matches and could also contribute to more injuries.

In doubles, the game is much faster and the 1 serve per side, often made the matches just too short.

Not sure if the 21 rule change did achieve its objectives. Time will tell if it was a right decision.
    I don't like it either. I was quite disappointed when IBF made the final decision to keep it. One of the major downsides is it almost rules out fantastic comebacks. Once your oponent pulls away about 5 points now, the game is pretty much over. Very very difficult to recover. LCW's win over LD in the 2006 Malaysian Open is an exception.

LCW won the Indon Open!

Sheraldine,

I am not sure if I understood correctly about the pressured wins by Chinese players. China being a power house in badminton is naturally expected to win every tournament their player participate. I assume the same thing occurs with other powerhouses as well: Indonesia, Korea, Malaysia, etc...
    oh that, the first time i "know" about china pressured wins was when i read an article in a magazine some years back. about kids being taken away from parents and into sport and groomed them into winning machine. among all, only the best state could present at world stage. at the end, the author quoted a thought, "i didnt know which is worst, being scolded or punished harshly for losing, or their life long winning becoming a life time loss - something to that effect. at that time, i wasnt really interested but noted, "oh? ah, ok lah"

then also some years back in one of the major games, the chinese dominated the diving pool and the final contestant is pressured to deliver the last and main gold, but wasnt perfect and she didnt score full, which she burst into fearful tears. it was reported briefly in local media, china won but that is not enough. then recently, ok - a year or two or more perhaps , at a main game, at full frontal tv and media, a coach openly took his pupil to task... only to be stopped by some sources. again, the local media reported but unlike the style of paparazzi. it was my first "real" attention to it. so far, chinese badminton only produced world domination (which in a way, they are expected to win but maybe fare better than other games) and lin dan's attitude

as for korea and indonesia, i am not sure for i never read any negative info about their sportsmen, except their certain tantrums now and then. in my time, rudy hartono was known to be openly temperamental while lim swee keng like to curse about on court. i am not sure off court but i can assure you he rather good looking guy! not wow, but its ahem girls!

anyway, back to badminton - yes, lee won. i cant say i am upset, can i?

I don't like it either. I was quite disappointed when IBF made the final decision to keep it. One of the major downsides is it almost rules out fantastic comebacks. Once your oponent pulls away about 5 points now, the game is pretty much over. Very very difficult to recover. LCW's win over LD in the 2006 Malaysian Open is an exception.

LCW won the Indon Open!
    Yes. Comebacks within the same set is almost impossible. I won't say 5 points. In high level where the difference is very little between players, even 3 points deficit is not easy to overcome.

And in amateurs games we seldom use it. In almost every place I play the 15-point serve system is the one we use and find it more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by sheraldine
    oh that, the first time i "know" about china pressured wins was when i read an article in a magazine some years back. about kids being taken away from parents and into sport and groomed them into winning machine. among all, only the best state could present at world stage. at the end, the author quoted a thought, "i didnt know which is worst, being scolded or punished harshly for losing, or their life long winning becoming a life time loss - something to that effect. at that time, i wasnt really interested but noted, "oh? ah, ok lah"
    To my knowledge, China uses the centralized training system. Children when young and deemed to be a prospect for future champion are grouped together and put in a sports school where the main subject is... physical activities. From school, then progress to city, then provincial and if good enough - national team. I believe badminton won't have that young players in national team. Maybe gymnastics / diving, these disciplines require training since very young - and maybe away from home. But we know that behind the few champions there are many many would be...

then also some years back in one of the major games, the chinese dominated the diving pool and the final contestant is pressured to deliver the last and main gold, but wasnt perfect and she didnt score full, which she burst into fearful tears. it was reported briefly in local media, china won but that is not enough. then recently, ok - a year or two or more perhaps , at a main game, at full frontal tv and media, a coach openly took his pupil to task... only to be stopped by some sources. again, the local media reported but unlike the style of paparazzi. it was my first "real" attention to it. so far, chinese badminton only produced world domination (which in a way, they are expected to win but maybe fare better than other games) and lin dan's attitude
    I haven't heard about this one. I only 'know' about Korean coaches and how they treated the athletes. One most talked case was during the Sudirman Cup in Indonesia - late 80's?? where the coach hit the player during the interval before the 3rd set of the ladies singles. Forgot the Korean player name but the Indonesian player was the great Susi Susanti.

I am a Chinese team supporter, but players that I like are not only Chinese. For example I used to like to watch Misbun Sidek. And Lin Dan, though a very good player but definitely not among my favorites.

as for korea and indonesia, i am not sure for i never read any negative info about their sportsmen, except their certain tantrums now and then. in my time, rudy hartono was known to be openly temperamental while lim swee keng like to curse about on court. i am not sure off court but i can assure you he rather good looking guy! not wow, but its ahem girls!

anyway, back to badminton - yes, lee won. i cant say i am upset, can i?
    If you consider the investment spent in badminton where apparently sustainability is almost none, can you think of a reason why the governments are still willing to spend? There must be a reason behind it, I don't think is just because the shuttle is not ball shaped.

Forgot about Lee winning the Indonesia open. Believe it or not, I was expecting Lee ChongWei to win, even though I was hoping Bao could pull a 'miracle'. A good win nevertheless and good for badminton. We need players other than Chinese to make badminton more interesting.

I think Bao is technically a better player in the Chinese camp but has most difficulty playing fast and explosive players like Lin Dan, Chen Hong, Lee Chong Wei, Peter Gade.. But interestingly enough he seems to have something that Taufik (I consider him currently the best player, technically wise) fears most.

To my knowledge, China uses the centralized training system.
    china gots lots of training when it comes to sport.... like said, they play to dominate every games, but i dont think it is right to start as a subject here.

as for the korea case, i dun think i read it.... after all, there is nothing to cover for malaysian woman team in badminton all focus on men team

so, you a misbun fan eh.... well, the sideks brothers are from the 80's. i am a fan of badminton, but not the players although i like the multi style of icuk s of indonesia and the taici style of han jian of china and reflective style of morten frost h of denmark. the most memorable (also the most tense) game was between malaysia punch gunalan and indonesia rudy hartono. we all knew rudy winning but punch gave him a worthy neck to neck fight - memorable because the fighting spirit displayed, tensed when malaysia gained a closing point to indonesia.

yeah, i want to see other players beside the chinese.... eg, boonsak of thailand, perhaps....

Whoa, Punch Gunalan vs Rudy Hartono was so long ago...

My all-time fav player has to be Foo Kok Keong. For no particular reason other than that he was the first professional player I ever saw. And it was him who clinched the Thomas Cup for Malaysia back in '92. Kids are very impressionable...

Further on, I liked Hendrawan and of course, the Ricky/Rexy combination. I enjoyed Yong Hock Kin's style but he drove be so mad! For the ladies, no one else but Susi Susanti.

Whoa, Punch Gunalan vs Rudy Hartono was so long ago...My all-time fav player has to be Foo Kok Keong. For no particular reason other than that he was the first professional player I ever saw. And it was him who clinched the Thomas Cup for Malaysia back in '92. Kids are very impressionable...Further on, I liked Hendrawan and of course, the Ricky/Rexy combination. I enjoyed Yong Hock Kin's style but he drove be so mad! For the ladies, no one else but Susi Susanti.
    PG vs RH, well, yeah, so long time ago got to watch because no major exams.

so, foo is your favorite eh, also from the 80's like eagle. foo improved late with his never die attitude, and in the 90's he was late twenties, worldly experienced and spirited to clinch the 92 thomas cup crucial point (wait, i think rashid s provided a very important point, or kwan ym who became an overnight hero if i remember correctly). the smatching (and dashing according to younger ladies ) double cheah sk-ong bt brought the veteran indonesian pair down to knees and clinched the winning point! YES! was celebrating after work and toasted every clubbers until dawn, down and drunk!

i missed out lot of the 80's due to major exams, but i remembered the single players yangyang and zhao jian hua of china, morten f of denmark and eddy something. hendrawan, i heard but i cannot remember who. ladies, i heard susi s but also cannot picture her. china i think a lady called ling or was it hua/wah, ping? like i said, i missed out lot. as for the 90's after the thomas cup, malaysian badminton went downhill. we have good and talented players to become winners, but somehow failed to produced outstanding champions

so, foo is your favorite eh, also from the 80's like eagle. foo improved late with his never die attitude, and in the 90's he was late twenties, worldly experienced and spirited to clinch the 92 thomas cup crucial point (wait, i think rashid s provided a very important point, or kwan ym who became an overnight hero if i remember correctly). the smatching (and dashing according to younger ladies ) double cheah sk-ong bt brought the veteran indonesian pair down to knees and clinched the winning point! YES! was celebrating after work and toasted every clubbers until dawn, down and drunk!
    Though it was Cheah/Soo who gave us the winning point, Foo's win was really the pivotal moment. The Indon singles players were considered superior to the Msian at that time, with the exception of Rashid Sidek. The plan was for Rashid and the two doubles pairs to deliver points. Unfortunately, Razif/Jalani Sidek were defeated so it looked like all was lost. Then Foo stepped onto court... against all odds he won. Cheah/Soo delivered the last point and that was it. Kwan lost his match but by then it didn't matter.

The Ricky/Rexy combination weren't veterans yet at that time right? If memory serves, they were only slightly older or around the same age as Cheah/Soo and later, Cheah/Yap Kim Hock. What a pity the Cheah/Soo combination didn't work out in the end - Cheah/Yap always seemed to play second fiddle to Ricky/Rexy after that.

The 90s were my era. I was too young back in the 80s to even care about badminton. Susi dominated ladies badminton during the early- to mid-90s. The Indons have never produced another one like her since - Mia Audina just couldn't reach such heights.

Actually, the Indons pretty much dominated all categories during that period. I grew up thinking they were the ultimate powers... it was only much later when I realised that China is really the biggest superpower. I feel quite sad for the current state Indon badminton is in. The fact that they didn't win a single even in the Indon Open says a lot. I'll like to see them re-emerge as a force to be reckoned with. At the moment, they only have Taufik Hidayat. Still, there are a few promising young ones.

as for the korea case, i dun think i read it.... after all, there is nothing to cover for malaysian woman team in badminton all focus on men team
    If my memory does not fails me, it was the Sudirman Cup finals (1989??) between Indonesia and Korea. First match, ladies singles - Korea had a young player (17 yo??) vs Indonesia's great Susi Susanti. The Korean girl wins the first game, leads the second and could not finish at match point and Susi made a dramatic comeback to win the second set. Rubber set, the Korean girl does not give too much of a fight and is seen crying on court, her face red with marks. Newspapers reported the coach had hit the Korean player during the interval and upset her so much that she lost the interest to play. Korean players led by the great Park Joo Bong, almost boycotted the remaining matches as a protest against the coach.

But I have not heard Chinese coaches hitting their players.. in badminton...

so, you a misbun fan eh.... well, the sideks brothers are from the 80's. i am a fan of badminton, but not the players although i like the multi style of icuk s of indonesia and the taici style of han jian of china and reflective style of morten frost h of denmark. the most memorable (also the most tense) game was between malaysia punch gunalan and indonesia rudy hartono. we all knew rudy winning but punch gave him a worthy neck to neck fight - memorable because the fighting spirit displayed, tensed when malaysia gained a closing point to indonesia.

yeah, i want to see other players beside the chinese.... eg, boonsak of thailand, perhaps....
    Like you, I am a fan of good badminton, so I like to watch players like Misbun, Icuk, Liem Swie King, Luan Jin, Yang Yang, Zhao Jianhua, Alan Budi Kusuma, Joko Suprianto, and ladies players like Liu Xia, Zhang Ailing, Han Aiping, Li Lingwei, Yeh Zhaoying, Susi Susanti, Bang Soo-Hyun, Lene Koppen, Kristen Larssen...

But the greatest player to me is Tang Xianfu. Maybe first impression, or first time you see a great player play, it definitely left a mark