Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 196

Thread: Any Badminton Fans?

  1. #121
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dgfds01 View Post
    The 90s were my era. I was too young back in the 80s to even care about badminton. Susi dominated ladies badminton during the early- to mid-90s. The Indons have never produced another one like her since - Mia Audina just couldn't reach such heights.

    Actually, the Indons pretty much dominated all categories during that period. I grew up thinking they were the ultimate powers... it was only much later when I realised that China is really the biggest superpower. I feel quite sad for the current state Indon badminton is in. The fact that they didn't win a single even in the Indon Open says a lot. I'll like to see them re-emerge as a force to be reckoned with. At the moment, they only have Taufik Hidayat. Still, there are a few promising young ones.
    If you look carefully, Indonesia at that time had Chinese coaches. Indonesia had a tough time finding new players after Liem Swie King and Icuk Sugiarto. Sometime during the 80's, Rudy Hartono was named the coach for Indonesia but not much impact. With the arrival of Chinese coaches, soon Eddy Kurniawan, Ardy Wiranata, Alan B Kusuma, Joko Suprianto, Hermawan Susanto, etc emerged on the mens side. Susi Susanti was coached also by Chinese coach, Liang Qiuxia.

    Today it's hard to find a badminton powerhouse without Chinese coaches - Denmark, Malaysia, Korea. Indonesia, Japan all have Chinese coaches in their technical staff.

  2. #122
    Senior Member sheraldine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    STILL malaysia - CHEH!!
    Posts
    486

    Default

    1989?.... well, the korea case certainly very long ago . such abuse is sad, but true. while on the topic of coaches, if i am not mistaken icuk s was groomed by rudy hartono, wasnt he? ah, never mind. as for those mentioned, i think i can only remember ardy... a short and small sized player who likes to argue with referees, linesmen....

    not all chinese coaches are good at coaching.... but then again, it depends on the players.... we had hanjian back in the early 90's and thanks to him, we won the 1992 thomas cup.

  3. #123
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheraldine View Post
    1989?.... well, the korea case certainly very long ago . such abuse is sad, but true. while on the topic of coaches, if i am not mistaken icuk s was groomed by rudy hartono, wasnt he? ah, never mind. as for those mentioned, i think i can only remember ardy... a short and small sized player who likes to argue with referees, linesmen....

    not all chinese coaches are good at coaching.... but then again, it depends on the players.... we had hanjian back in the early 90's and thanks to him, we won the 1992 thomas cup.
    Korea's case was long ago for sure. I have never seen the Korean girl playing again, at least I have not heard about her in the international circuit. A great pity, because at that time about 17/18 y.o, she was able to beat Han Aiping and Li Lingwei (both World Champions) in some tournaments. On that Sudirman Cup final, she was leading Susi Susanti but was not experienced enough to finish the match. A stupid action may have killed a potential world champion.

    I don't think Icuk's coach was Rudy. I forgot the name of Icuk's coach and from what I heard, the coach was THE ONLY one who could put some sense into him after winning the World Championship title. I think Liem Swie King was Rudy's protege, not sure.

    I am surprised that you only remember Ardy. Interesting that you don't remember Alan Budi Kusuma, Susi Susanti's husband and first ever gold medalist in Olympic games badminton. And also according to my female team mates, Alan was much better looking than Ardy

    First Chinese player to coach Malaysian team, I think was the famous Fang Kaixiang, contemporary of Tang Xinfu and Hou Jiachang, other 2 legendary players of the 60's and 70's. Han Jian came after Fang and I believe it was Fang who did all the work and had it paved for Han Jian success.

    On the subject of coaches, surely not all Chinese coaches are good... But the good ones are among the best you can find around today.

  4. #124
    Senior Member dgfds01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    809

    Default

    Fang Kaixiang is now in Indonesia. With Djarum Badminton Club, I think. I watched one of his young proteges, Andre Kurniawan Tedjono, last week (NZ Open). That kid has potential. I'll be keeping an eye out for him.

    Indonesia needs a revival.

  5. #125
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    149

    Default

    I believe Fang Kaixiang, like Tang Xinfu, Hou Jiachang, Liang Qiuxia were 'hua qiao' from Indonesia and returned to China during the 60's. I don't know about Andre Kurniawan Tedjono and haven't seen him play. How old is he? Looking forward to see him in international tournaments.

    Indonesia dominance in badminton back in the 80' and 90's was the work of Chinese coaches as well. Would love to see other players from Indonesia competing for the titles with Fang Kaixiang knowledge and teachings.

  6. #126
    Senior Member dgfds01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    809

    Default

    Andre is 20. He did pretty well in the Indon Open, beating Kenneth Jonnassen, and then won the NZ Open. Lost to a senior Malaysian in the Vietnam International Challenge. Fast, speedy player with quite a smash. It's a bit early to say exactly how he'll turn out but he does provide a glimmer of hope for Indonesia. They only really have Taufik now, and he's not performing.

    The root of Indonesia's current problems is gross mismanagement. Chinese coaches, or lack of, aren't everything though I won't deny they're a factor. When it comes to mismanagement, they're even worse than Malaysia... As it is, a lot of their young players aren't playing under PBSI.

    Fang Kaixiang and the others - if they are 'hua qiao' from Indonesia, that explains a lot. I was wondering what language he uses to communicate with the Indons (was sitting too far away to hear him speak). If you're right (which you probably are ), that solves the language mystery.

    I've always thought that it's easier for Malaysia to import coaches from overseas. Language isn't much of a barrier. Most of the players speak English, Malay (and by extension Indonesian), and Chinese. They'll only have to worry about translating/interpreting for Korean coaches.

  7. #127
    Senior Member sheraldine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    STILL malaysia - CHEH!!
    Posts
    486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    I am surprised that you only remember Ardy. Interesting that you don't remember Alan Budi Kusuma, Susi Susanti's husband and first ever gold medalist in Olympic games badminton. And also according to my female team mates, Alan was much better looking than Ardy
    i remember ardy due to his attitude and height (or lack of, ), not his looks. as for alan, i cannot really put him... i know there were few youngsters, but a bit confused on their names and looks. alan b... was he the one who refused to eat at international tournaments, and preferred to own cooking or hired indonesion cooks???

    The root of Indonesia's current problems is gross mismanagement. when it comes to mismanagement, they're even worse than Malaysia....

    ohhh? really??

    Indonesia needs a revival.

    before that malaysia needs to survive first, dearie

  8. #128
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dgfds01 View Post
    Andre is 20. He did pretty well in the Indon Open, beating Kenneth Jonnassen, and then won the NZ Open. Lost to a senior Malaysian in the Vietnam International Challenge. Fast, speedy player with quite a smash. It's a bit early to say exactly how he'll turn out but he does provide a glimmer of hope for Indonesia. They only really have Taufik now, and he's not performing.

    The root of Indonesia's current problems is gross mismanagement. Chinese coaches, or lack of, aren't everything though I won't deny they're a factor. When it comes to mismanagement, they're even worse than Malaysia... As it is, a lot of their young players aren't playing under PBSI.

    Fang Kaixiang and the others - if they are 'hua qiao' from Indonesia, that explains a lot. I was wondering what language he uses to communicate with the Indons (was sitting too far away to hear him speak). If you're right (which you probably are ), that solves the language mystery.

    I've always thought that it's easier for Malaysia to import coaches from overseas. Language isn't much of a barrier. Most of the players speak English, Malay (and by extension Indonesian), and Chinese. They'll only have to worry about translating/interpreting for Korean coaches.

    I don't think Andre played the last World Junior championship (2004) in Canada. I remember Tommy Sugiarto representing Indonesia but can't seem to remember any player from Indonesia by the name of Andre. Interesting...

    As for Indonesia's badminton current situation, I don't think PSBI mismanagement is the only problem. Personally I believe the Indonesian political issues had a much greater impact.

  9. #129
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheraldine View Post
    i remember ardy due to his attitude and height (or lack of, ), not his looks. as for alan, i cannot really put him... i know there were few youngsters, but a bit confused on their names and looks. alan b... was he the one who refused to eat at international tournaments, and preferred to own cooking or hired indonesion cooks???
    I don't know if Ardy had a problem with food or had did his own cooking. I remember that when Ardy was at his prime he had hepatitis and was forced to stop playing for some time.

    Alan was regarded as a better player, with very good technique and was the World Junior singles champion back in late 80's. However his achievements in the pro-circuit were somewhat inconsistent.

  10. #130
    Senior Member sheraldine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    STILL malaysia - CHEH!!
    Posts
    486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    I don't know if Ardy had a problem with food or had did his own cooking. I remember that when Ardy was at his prime he had hepatitis and was forced to stop playing for some time. .
    then it must be ardy then as for alan, maybe i can do a google search on him later

  11. #131
    Senior Member dgfds01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    809

    Default

    Thought I'll resurrect this thread.

    The World Champs begin today. Any predictions?

  12. #132
    Senior Member Duke_Darcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Senorita Liza Wang, Ud es MUY bonita para su edad. Besame.
    Posts
    318

    Default

    I guess it's fun. I play football right now.
    Liza Wang-the only gorgeous woman to make any man (especially me!) swoon with one piecing look. (never underestimate the power of a woman)

  13. #133
    Senior Member sheraldine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    STILL malaysia - CHEH!!
    Posts
    486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dgfds01 View Post
    Thought I'll resurrect this thread.

    The World Champs begin today. Any predictions?
    hello hello?? world champs came and gone... what, no takers?

    japan open done and delivered, what? no comments??

    taiwan open is on, right? or am i wrong??

  14. #134
    Senior Member Duke_Darcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Senorita Liza Wang, Ud es MUY bonita para su edad. Besame.
    Posts
    318

    Default

    Do you think Jessey Meng will be at the Taiwan Open?? In the stands?? I'm going to sgn up for her website. It's pretty ace.
    Liza Wang-the only gorgeous woman to make any man (especially me!) swoon with one piecing look. (never underestimate the power of a woman)

  15. #135
    Senior Member dgfds01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    809

    Default

    Japan Open was fun. It was refreshing to see a final without any China players. And it was one heck of a match too - LCW vs Taufik.

    Taiwan Open - pity the Chinese team had to pull out. And the Malaysian girls missed the golden opportunity to get into the finals of a major event.

    Who the heck is Jessey Meng?

  16. #136
    Senior Member Duke_Darcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Senorita Liza Wang, Ud es MUY bonita para su edad. Besame.
    Posts
    318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dgfds01 View Post
    Japan Open was fun. It was refreshing to see a final without any China players. And it was one heck of a match too - LCW vs Taufik.

    Taiwan Open - pity the Chinese team had to pull out. And the Malaysian girls missed the golden opportunity to get into the finals of a major event.

    Who the heck is Jessey Meng?
    Woah mate. You do not know who she is?? Her other name is Meng Guangmei and she was in ROCH. She's my avatar right now.
    Liza Wang-the only gorgeous woman to make any man (especially me!) swoon with one piecing look. (never underestimate the power of a woman)

  17. #137
    Senior Member vindikattor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dgfds01 View Post
    Japan Open was fun. It was refreshing to see a final without any China players.


    Didn't the winners of Mixed Doubles and Women Doubles are from China? The 2nd place Women Single is also from China...

    or did you mean no China players for Men Single?

    The Indonesians may take a sweep in Taiwan Open with the lack of China players....
    He said "Mie at the top, Jue at the bottom". She replied "Yes, Absolute Annihilation...

  18. #138
    Senior Member dgfds01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vindikattor View Post


    Didn't the winners of Mixed Doubles and Women Doubles are from China? The 2nd place Women Single is also from China...

    or did you mean no China players for Men Single?

    The Indonesians may take a sweep in Taiwan Open with the lack of China players....
    I was referring to men's singles. It's too much to hope for no Chinese players in any women's event, unless they don't enter.

    The Indons basically did.

  19. #139
    Senior Member cristal entity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    부동산문제 집중 토론사이트 &
    Posts
    273

    Default Badminton who likes it : )

    Aww quite sad to see the old thread on badminton gone, so I've decided to start up a new one... for badminton fans alike .

    I really enjoy it, and just recently have had the privilege of having waaaaay too much free time so I've decided to really train up up my badminton and get fit in the process as well.
    I'm currently playing around 3-4 times a week, and days when I'm not on the badminton courts I'm in the gym working on cardio and strength resistance training.
    Been improving quite a fair bit which I'm glad for all the effort I've put in and working with a coach...
    I enjoy playing singles much more than doubles which is quite surprising since so many people love doubles more because its faster and less taxing on the body and stamina. But I love singles because it test the true skills of a player, executing a much wider variety of shots and using more strategies to combat your opponent.
    Like in singles I prefer to play the first set with a lot more clears, lifts, deceptive smashes, drives and netshots to work my opponents around to hopefully drain down their stamina, if I manage to win the first set is a bonus and then in the second set I would unleash a greater variation of aggressive attacking plays and create a lot more smashing opportunities (fortunately I'm blessed with quite a good jump smash) and demoralizing the opponent if possible. Of course with that strategy its very risky and if I find the opponent would outlast me in a stamina battle I would try and go all out first set and try and win it in 2. the new scoring point system is also much better now for the fast attacking players in my opinion.
    Thus I love singles so much, I feel more involved as opposed to doubles drive and smash style of play.
    Anyways I use a Armortec 900Power 3UG4 at 25lbs
    And my favourite player nowadays is Lin Dan for his personality and style of play. Second would be Lee Chong Wei for his very good style of play.



    Guys feel free to post anything you like about badminton
    내가 황제라면, 모든 단어에 의미를 부여하기 위해 사전을 만드는 일 부터 시작할 것이다.

    AkA: strife_au in the old mythic golden era of SPCNET pre-2007... Pioneer and architect of chaos... The legend lives.

  20. #140
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    992

    Default

    thats a whole lotta writing there
    but i love bad minton! i also <3 volleyball..how about u? usually ppl who likes badminton also likes volleyball.

    and is that u in your avatar?
    number of piercings - 8 and counting.

    <3 them.

Similar Threads

  1. who is better in badminton!!!!
    By lyf_ling- er87 in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-12-08, 12:04 AM
  2. Any fans of Blondie here?
    By Ken Cheng in forum Music
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-07-07, 09:00 AM
  3. ER fans anyone?
    By teddybear in forum Global Series Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-18-07, 02:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •