Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Any Badminton Fans?

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    i love badminton! i play it every weekend in the summer. oh, you know who else loves badminton? my JaeJoongie! he played badminton when he was in school! i hope i can play with him one day.
    Who is JaeJoongie.

Sorry i can't understand.

I love badminton. I prefer doubles cos I think it's more fun! I used to play a lot of badminton until my school work became really busy. Nowadays I play only when I have some spare time.
    Last edited by Bubblegum; 07-24-08 at 06:30 AM.

I like to play badminton. If I played badminton, I can forget everything including my problem because I love badminton

Ok...so lemme start with something. I guess people will then respond.

The New Rulez Controversy this artile was published some days back)

Former world number one Peter Gade has launched a scathing attack on the new scoring system which is about to start on the world circuit.
    The International Badminton Federation (IBF) recently decided to adopt point-per-rally 21-up scoring, which will be introduced soon after the All-England Open championships here have finished.
    The IBF believes this system will be easier to understand than the traditional hand-in hand-out 15-up scoring for all events except women's singles (11-up), which has been the norm since organized badminton began more than a century ago.

But there appears to be plenty of dissent against 21-up scoring, and Gade, who will be trying to regain the All-England title this week, feels the same way.
    "I don't think the IBF will like the new system," he asserted. "It is very clear to me that this is a political matter.
    "Table tennis had this scoring for 50 years. They changed from this (to 11-up) with great success but those running badminton, they look at it, and say 'we want your old system and we think it will do good'.
    "I can't see any reason for doing that. We had an opportunity to vote for a more intense and exciting game. It has been exciting only from about 10-all or 11-all and now, moving to 21, but it will become even worse.
    "I think this is political, because Asia dismissed the five games to seven-up system and have regretted it, but won't go back to it again. Five to seven is best for badminton and I really wish it would be part of the future."
    Gade is referring to is the political conflict within the IBF between Asia and its supporters and Europe and its supporters, which recently led to three different scoring systems being adopted within two years on the world circuit.
    Although the five to seven experiment produced a faster, shorter, and more unpredictable version of the sport, it was not endorsed by the IBF's annual meeting.
    And when the IBF council adopted an unheard of combination of scoring - men's singles and doubles to 15-up but any event involving a woman (women's singles and doubles and mixed doubles) to be played to 11-up - a bitter controversy developed.
    It provoked dissent from more than 30 countries, causing an extraordinary general meeting which forced the IBF to back down, and brought the compromise of a return to traditional scoring.
    Gade believes the imposition of the latest scoring system is a political reaction to that; the players will discuss their reaction to it at their annual meeting this week.
    "But I don't think the players can do anything about it," the Dane said. "When we expressed our opinion to the IBF before, nothing happened. I don't think the players' opinions will matter.
    "And when so many Asian players are dominated by associations and their governments it is almost impossible."
    "We can send signals to the media. And every time I am asked I will react in the same way. But the IBF is in control and as long as it's like this, it's very hard for the players to change anything.
    Meanwhile a complaint from Denmark about the IBF-made draw for the All-England championships has caused the men's doubles to be redrawn.
    "If this draw was made by computer then one would expect a review of the programme," said Finn Traerup, the Danish performance director. "But I would think this has been made by hand.
    "There are too many glitches which makes it critical to get the review because the IBF website lacks information and we don't know how people earn their ranking points any more."

Default Scoring system

The 21 point rally system has been adopted for 2 years (?). Personally I am still playing the 15 point, server score rule. I have no intention to change to the 21 points system. I am not in competitions anymore, nor do I need to fight for a place in a team, so working out is my objective. The 21 point system for doubles, does not fulfill my needs.

We have a group that play badminton regularly. We rent 3 courts and have about 15-20 players showing up. A game using 21-points system lasts usually 5-8 mins, and I can't hardly start sweating. Worse is when is my turn to get to the court for next game, I am dry, stiff and freezing.

On the professional side, my impression is that the pace of the game is slower. Nowadays players first priority is safety and less adventurous. Also the game does not seem that exciting compared to before - when a player(s) gets, say a 5 point advantage, it's really hard for the opponent to catch up.

I am still the traditional player type. The 21 point system does not convince me, and have a feeling that somebody just grabbed a copy of the table tennis manual and made some changes to adapt it to badminton .

Just my 2 cents.

With the Olympics coming up soon, can't wait to watch the badminton and hopefully Lin Dan will win the MS title
    내가 황제라면, 모든 단어에 의미를 부여하기 위해 사전을 만드는 일 부터 시작할 것이다.

AkA: strife_au in the old mythic golden era of SPCNET pre-2007... Pioneer and architect of chaos... The legend lives.

it's pretty fun but personally i prefer squash

I love badminton... its fun and easy, the only thing i dont like about it is that it doesnt really give you a good work out.

I like badminton. Unfortunately, Badminton will no longer be an Olympic sport after Beijing 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by polaris View Post
    I like badminton. Unfortunately, Badminton will no longer be an Olympic sport after Beijing 2008.
    Where did you heard this???

I started playing it in Aug when a friend told me about a local school that has it. (gotta pay)

Damn some of the folks there really take it seriously. Even some of the older dudes are playing like their lives are on the line. I can't go every week cuz the place is only open for badminton in limited hours and I am tired after work.

You get a pretty good workout doing badminton, especially the lower back and legs, in my case. I do weights at the gym too so I am sore almost everyday if I go play badminton that week.

Still trying to get a hang of controlling the birdie. How far to hit it, the trajectory, etc. Plus my footwork is pretty statue-like on the court for someone who's in pretty good shape. Friggin old dudes are flying all over and I can't even go back 3 steps to return a lob. Gotta work on my anticipation and reaction time.
    Last edited by jiang bao; 10-18-08 at 09:08 PM.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

I've just started playing again (twice a week, more if I can spare the time) and I now realize how horrible I was at it before. It's definitely a fun sport that can make you sweat easily.

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao View Post
    I started playing it in Aug when a friend told me about a local school that has it. (gotta pay)

Damn some of the folks there really take it seriously. Even some of the older dudes are playing like their lives are on the line. I can't go every week cuz the place is only open for badminton in limited hours and I am tired after work.

You get a pretty good workout doing badminton, especially the lower back and legs, in my case. I do weights at the gym too so I am sore almost everyday if I go play badminton that week.

Still trying to get a hang of controlling the birdie. How far to hit it, the trajectory, etc. Plus my footwork is pretty statue-like on the court for someone who's in pretty good shape. Friggin old dudes are flying all over and I can't even go back 3 steps to return a lob. Gotta work on my anticipation and reaction time.
    it'll just take practice... that's all. I've seen some fat asses cover the court better than I do.

For footwork - and strokes included, practice is really the key... Easier said than done. Take a lot of effort and commitment to get the results.

tough to commit. hitting the gym is a bigger priority for me in terms of what to do with free time. i guess i'll concentrate on anticipation. i cover the court pretty well at tennis, but i find the trajectory of the birdie confusing right now. I am not good at hitting fluttering things that drop down at near 90 degrees (the lobs).

From my experience is easier to practice strokes and footwork than anticipation. If playing against somebody with better skills, then anticipation will be very difficult.

I am not sure, but hitting the birdie properly involves not only having good strokes, but also good court coverage skills. Bringing yourself into a position that can hit the birdie properly will surely help improve the success of a good strike.

I am gonna play tonight. I'll try to focus on improving footwork.

Been training rigurously at the gym for the past 3 months, getting ready for the summer season. Haas really helped me in my badminton with much better core strength and power.
    Gained 12kg of muscle from 63kg to 75kg
    Feeling supremely fit and everything has improved (I have good technique anyway).
    Dumbell shoulder pressing 22.5kg 6 reps x 3 sets , really helps with overhead clears and smashes.
    SQUATS HELL YES!
    DEADLIFTS HELL YES!
    PULLUPS HELL YES!
    내가 황제라면, 모든 단어에 의미를 부여하기 위해 사전을 만드는 일 부터 시작할 것이다.

AkA: strife_au in the old mythic golden era of SPCNET pre-2007... Pioneer and architect of chaos... The legend lives.

Power training for badminton huh?

I haven't played since late Oct. Might play again when the weather gits warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    From my experience is easier to practice strokes and footwork than anticipation. If playing against somebody with better skills, then anticipation will be very difficult.

I am not sure, but hitting the birdie properly involves not only having good strokes, but also good court coverage skills. Bringing yourself into a position that can hit the birdie properly will surely help improve the success of a good strike.
    do you still play badminton often? i broke my racket since 1988 or so and never at it since.