Thread: How well informed was Passionless Valley of the outside world?

Default How well informed was Passionless Valley of the outside world?

The people of Passionless Valley in ROCH were said to have lived in seclusion for centuries and had very little contact with the outside world. Indeed, wulin in general seemed to have no clue of the existence of the valley and its inhabitants until Yeung Gor and company visited there in the middle of ROCH. Conversely, however, the people inside Passionless Valley seemed surprisingly well-informed about current wulin individuals and events. I think they were able to correctly identify the crazy old man who turned Water Fairy Manor upside down as Old Mischief Chow Bak Tung. Gung Sheun Tze knew that his two brothers-in-law Kau Cheen Yan and Kau Cheen Cheung had, respectively, become a monk and died as a result of their encounters with Gwok Jing and Wong Yung years earlier. Even Kau Cheen Chek, who'd been trapped at the bottom of Passionless Valley for years, seemed to know who Gwok Jing and Wong Yung were after she learned that they had played important roles in her brothers' fates. That last one is particularly odd because I think that Kau Cheen Chek's imprisonment at the bottom of Passionless Valley predated Gwok Jing and Wong Yung's rise to fame (i.e. she began her exile at the bottom of the valley around the time that the events of LOCH were unfolding...when Kau Cheen Yan was still leader of the Iron Palm Union and Kau Cheen Cheung was still alive).

But... the death of her brother happend a bit before the end of LoCH didn't it? Plus I'm guessing her daughter is younger than Yang Guo, therefore I conclude that she hasn't yet fallen victim to her imprisonment at the end of LoCH

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    I think they were able to correctly identify the crazy old man who turned Water Fairy Manor upside down as Old Mischief Chow Bak Tung.
    They seemed to know but strangely Gongsun Tze did not seem to put enough guard after they could (luckily) bring him to The Passionate Valley

Maybe they send messengers or scouts to find information around the jianghu world, to keep themselves constantly updated?
    ..ext88

I don't have time to reread the relevant parts in the novel, but in the new ROCH TV series it's revealed that the...ugly-old-lady-who's-been-trapped-in-the-gorge found out about the death of her elder brother after being rescued because her younger brother had sent a letter to her scumbag husband several years earlier informing them of the events, by which time of course she had already been dumped into the gorge. So at least that bit of information had a reason to be known.
    林家有女玉啄成
    嫣然巧笑艳冠人
    纤纤起舞随风动
    疑似飞燕又重生

So did the folks at Passionless Valley actually know who the Greats and Gwok Jing and Wong Yung were, or were they clueless about such things?

When Qiu Qianchi rescued by YG from underground dungeon, she tried to impersonate his brother Qiu Qianren. She was afraid that herself wouldn't be match for Gongsun Zhi, so imposed as her brother. After seeing her Gongsun Zhi revealed a letter from real Qiu Qianren. Qiu Qianchi's knowledge about Guo Jing, Huang Rong comes from entirely that letter.

Old Urchin must have told his name himself. But Gongsun Zhi didn't know who he was and what was his abilities. Maybe because of it he misjudged the situation, letting Old Urchin to do whatever he wants.
    "Big Hero Linghu kills frogs with the Dugu Nine Swords!”