Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gwok Jing as a swordsman

Default Gwok Jing as a swordsman

Gwok Jing is known primarily as a martial artist who favors unarmed combat. His best skill, the Hong Lung 18 Palms, is a weaponless technique. As a youth, Gwok Jing had some training in swordsmanship (especially under Hon Siu Ying, Gong Nam Freak # 7), but swordsmanship was never Gwok Jing's specialty. Certainly, Gwok Jing did not attain the same level of expertise in the sword arts that his nephew Yeung Gor eventually did.

That said, just how proficient a swordsman was Gwok Jing at the peak of his abilities? As an all-around great martial artist, his swordsmanship was probably better than that of most others, but could it be considered elite?

The mainland LOCH sometimes portrayed him as a sword-user at times, which I thought was rather incorrect. Did he happen to use the sword in some of the main fights in the novel too?

Probably better then Xiao Feng, Xu Zhu and Duan Yu!

Anyway, I would think both of them don't really posess any elite sword techniques.

They can use a sword/sabre/spear/club/shoe to defeat anyone short of Great level but that is only because of the superior speed and strength they have and not weapon technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordwiz
    The mainland LOCH sometimes portrayed him as a sword-user at times, which I thought was rather incorrect. Did he happen to use the sword in some of the main fights in the novel too?
    I think he might have used one when filling in for Wan Tze Ping (who was filling in for the slain Tam Chui Deun) when the Cheun Jen 6 Disciples confronted East Heretic Wong Yerk See in Ga Hing.

Guo Jing may be very skilled in various forms of martial arts, but Yin ZhiPing probably knew the QuanZhen martial arts better than Guo Jing did. Do you think Guo Jing would have been a good replacement for Yin ZhiPing?

Quote Originally Posted by Swordwiz
    Guo Jing may be very skilled in various forms of martial arts, but Yin ZhiPing probably new the QuanZhen martial arts better than Guo Jing did. Do you think Guo Jing would have been a good replacement for Yin ZhiPing?
    Definitely. Even at that point, Gwok Jing was already much more powerful than any of the Cheun Jen 6 Disciples. In the formation, Ma Yuk was the North Star (i.e. most powerful piece), but when Gwok Jing joined the formation to fight Wong Yerk See, Gwok Jing shifted into the position of North Star.

That being said, Wan Tze Ping, although a weak martial artist overall, had greater knowledge of the ins and outs of Cheun Jen Sect martial arts because he'd trained in it his entire life. Gwok Jing's knowledge of the Cheun Jen Sect's martial arts was limited to a few lessons from Ma Yuk, Yau Chui Gei, and Wong Chui 1 (and more towards inner power techniques than fighting techniques).

The thing is, GJ was revealed as a martial arts prodigy here. He had understood and comprehended the essence of Dipper Formation earlier without instruction. With a little instruction he was able to be an integral part of it.

Didn't Guo Jing learn some swordplay (was it Yue Maiden Swordplay) when he was a child from one of the Jiangnan 7 Freaks?
    ..ext88

Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88
    Didn't Guo Jing learn some swordplay (was it Yue Maiden Swordplay) when he was a child from one of the Jiangnan 7 Freaks?
    Yep, and it was mentioned in the opening post of this thread. This was a fairly common wulin sword technique, however, and represented a very small part of Gwok Jing's overall body of martial arts. The question isn't whether or not Gwok Jing can use swords in combat (of course he can), but whether or not he could be considered an elite swordsman.

I would assume that GJ (or any of the Greats + XF and XZ etc) could pick up the Xuan Tie Jian and swing it rather effectively. Does that make them elite swordsman from that angle?

I would think so. GJ had the book of 9 yin. IT had weaponary skills in it. I think he can be considered an elite swordsman.

Quote Originally Posted by QF
    I would think so. GJ had the book of 9 yin. IT had weaponary skills in it. I think he can be considered an elite swordsman.
    Did the 9Yin manual mentioned the use of weapons like sword?
    ..ext88

Did the 9Yin manual mentioned the use of weapons like sword?

Definetly...Sword, sabre, all kinds of weapons.

He actually used some of the weaponary skills against Ou Yang Feng in LOCH.

Well... LOCH 2003 did showcase some of Guo Jing's weaponary skills, especially in the art of swords. If you have a chance to watch the latest ROCH 2006, it also shows Guo Jing using two swords combined them with HL18Z and 9 Yin, albeit being untrue to the novel and exagerrated.

If you want to go for Classic Shaw Brother's movies, check out Brave Archer 4 (aka Brave Archer and His Mate, Chinese title : Shen Diao Xia Lv) starring Philip Kwok Chung Fung (Kuo Chue) as Guo Jing and Gigi Wong Suk Yee as Huang Rong. Gigi Wong, although overlooked, was one of the best actress to play the role of Huang Rong. She was awesome. Alexander Fu Sheng played as Yang Guo in this one.

In this movie Guo Jing used a dagger as his primary weapon. Again, it is by no means loyal to the book, but it is fun to watch (if you don't mind the slow pace kung fu/wuxia from the 70s), just to see Guo Jing in a different light.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/images/movie/large/brave_7b38eb70ebe9012fe66b39f02d9472e1.jpg')

Guo Jing vs Big Dipper Formation

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/images/movie/large/BraveArcher-4-0344-KwokChungFung_db903ada1ad1686678daec1a49372d1d.jpg')
    - WuxiaSociety.org (formerly known as wuxiamania forum) -

----- the society of global wuxia fans ----

As I remember, there was a period of time that GJ used a sword to fight with OYF. I think it was when GJ was captured by OYF after he think HR was dead. Basically, OYF try to force GJ to show 9Yin by fighting/sparring with him. At that time, OYF was still better than GJ but he want to check out how GJ fight (using 9Yin) with his incorrected 9Yin copy. Of course, he got confused since sometimes what GJ did was consistent with the book but sometimes didn't. Nevertheless, GJ skill got improved tremendously and one of the skill that got improved was his sword skill.

Basically, the sword skill that GJ used against OYF (not sure which weapon OYF used at that time) mainly came from 9Yin. Basically, GJ got a sword that the soldier left on the ground and start reviewing the sword skill in 9Yin. Then he start using it against OYF. At first, OYF was still better than him. But, through time, GJ sword skill got better and OYF start feeling that he might lose to GJ soon (if I remember correctly). However, in ROCH, GJ did show his skill in Yue-Maiden sword (that skill that he learned from the Jiangnan 7 Freaks).

In my opinion, GJ sword skill is very high but JY never mentioned how high his skill is.
    Last edited by Wu Xing; 03-27-06 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin
    If you want to go for Classic Shaw Brother's movies, check out Brave Archer 4 (aka Brave Archer and His Mate, Chinese title : Shen Diao Xia Lv) starring Philip Kwok Chung Fung (Kuo Chue) as Guo Jing and Gigi Wong Suk Yee as Huang Rong.
    Yes!! Philip Kwok is the best Guo Jing, perfect for the role. He's also the best Zhou Botong, and the best Shi Potian. Amazing guy, whether comedic or serious, clever or dumb, hes always awesome. And his acrobatics are the best of the venoms.

Quote Originally Posted by danshu_
    Yes!! Philip Kwok is the best Guo Jing, perfect for the role. He's also the best Zhou Botong, and the best Shi Potian. Amazing guy, whether comedic or serious, clever or dumb, hes always awesome. And his acrobatics are the best of the venoms.
    I'm not sure about best Shi Po Tian.

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin
    I'm not sure about best Shi Po Tian.
    no? who do you like? hes pretty good in that kind of role, almost a combination of guo jing, zhou botong, and xiao long nu

Well... just look at this screen capture from the movie Ode to Gallantry starring Philip Kwok below... I really don't see Shi PoTian look like him when I read the novel. He has the 70s pony hair style that doesn't fit with the rest of the cast who had standard ancient hair looks, not too mention Philip kwok looked too old to be SPT and made him looked too comical and dumb.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.shaolinchamber.com/images/screen_caps/ode_to_gallantry/OdeToGallantry_%20(12).jpg')

I always imagined Shi Potian to have a soft, child-like voice, spoken with compassion. Out of the actors that played him, I like Mok Siu Chung the most:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/images/people/large/MaxMok_d8da0f8f0f07944482da3aea47ba07e3.jpg')
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」