Thread: Is this a MediaCorp show?

Default Is this a MediaCorp show?

I saw a show in the 90's about a fire god who was supposed to burn down stage actors and was wondering if this is a mediacorp show. The fire god tried to trick the heavenly king and was punished to be reborn into a mortal to finish his task. To help him was a flower goddess who recame a deity b/c of a drop of his blood and a transfer of power. The show was not very good, but it wasn't bad either and I absolutely adore the main character, so if any1 knows the english of this show, which station it was from, and anything about the lead actor, please let me know. (viet title was "phong than tai chin" (spelling?))
    How come most 江湖 (jiānghú) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dàxiá) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?

I'm not very sure, but could you recall who were the actors and actress?
    ..ext88

sorry, I don't know who the actors are. I posted this trying to find the real name of the main character (for some reason he resembles chew chor meng, but I wasn't sure cuz it was really old series and I can only find recent pics of chew chor meng, so I couldn't compare). I know I saw two supporting characters who also appeared in "The Great Conspiracy"; also, the main character was in a gambling show I saw a preview once of.

I can go into some more of the storyline, though.

On the night of the firegod's birth, his mortal father was killed by an enemy from heaven. He was deemed unlucky and was supposed to be put to death. However, his mother begged for his life and left all the family fortunes to the greedy uncle and they lived in poverty. Later, his mother discovered he was mute and get sick when he drinks or is submerged in water. When he was 6 (?), it was found that all he could drink is alcohol. . .

more later
    How come most 江湖 (jiānghú) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dàxiá) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?

Wow. Is it å†æˆ˜å°ç¥žæ¦œ? Forgot the English title though.

Quote Originally Posted by junzi
    Wow. Is it å†æˆ˜å°ç¥žæ¦œ? Forgot the English title though.
    not sure, I only know the viet title. Can you tell me who the main character is?

A long long time ago, Chew Chor Meng certainly acted in a show as Fire God. Unfortunately it was so freaking long ago that I don't remember the title of the show or the plot or the people acting alongside him. Just remember that he had this wild flaming red hair when he's in his Fire God mode.

It should be 再战封神榜 (Heavenly Beings).
    The cast includes Chew Chor Meng, Chen Xiuhuan, Pan Lingling,
    Chen Tianwen

Thank you convoy and beansprouts for confirming that the actor was chew chor meng. I will attempt to get screen captions later in the future.

More summary:

On rainy day, his mother fell ill, yet no doctors would help her because they were labeled unlucky. A small prostitution establishment took them in, but his evil uncle found them and drove them out of town.

As the rain beat down (a different rainy day from b4. for some reason, even though water is not his element, fortunate things happens to him on a rainy day), they encounter a traveling theater group at an abandoned temple(they have a lot of these in ancient shows). After some conflicts, the firegod and his mother entered the theater group. tbc

再战封神榜 (Heavenly Beings) has been repeated on channel 8 two years ago in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by bluewave
    再战封神榜 (Heavenly Beings) has been repeated on channel 8 two years ago in the morning.
    did you watch it? did you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by bluewave
    I remember MCS repeated the show a long time ago in an afternoon slot as well, think it was around 3 to 4 pm.

While I can't say I actually remember what the show is about, thanks to MysticDust's summary I can vaguely recall some opera troupe thingy, I like the show alot when it was aired.

I remember watching this show when it first debuted! Was really young then. Loved the costumes, stunts and special effects. Enjoyed it immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by junzi
    I remember watching this show when it first debuted! Was really young then. Loved the costumes, stunts and special effects. Enjoyed it immensely.
    yes, i too enjoy the costumes.

I haven't seen it, but have heard previous comments that it was good. It sounds quite interesting and I think anything with Chew Chor Meng is a must watch
    Yesterday's History,
    Tomorrow's a Mystery,
    Today's a Gift,
    That’s why we call it,
    The Present.

Quote Originally Posted by goddessofhonour
    I haven't seen it, but have heard previous comments that it was good. It sounds quite interesting and I think anything with Chew Chor Meng is a must watch
    yes, chew chor meng was very adorable in here, but his co-star was annoying to watch b/c she looked way too old for him and she was not a very convincing actress. I cringed whenever she pretends to be a cute flower fairy/spirit. it was scary to say the least.

The supporting cast was adorable though. I really like pan lingling and chen tianwen. Chen tianwen played a not so attractive-looking person w/ a secret (ask me nicely, and i will tell you want it is). While his looks were not desirable, he had a heart of gold (just a but of a self-confidence problem) and very good flipping (for lack of better words) skills on stage. Chen tianwen also knows poetry and how to play the chinese stringed instrument very well. at first pan lingling only thinks of him as a brother-figure cuz she liked this lying jerk, but later when she found out that chen tianwen was the one that possessed all the qualities that she liked in a husband, she fell for him instead (it also helped that she found the lying jerk decieved her and was a betrayer, etc). she didn't mind chen tianwen's ugliness but like him for all the right reasons. her love was so strong, she even gave away 50 years of her life-span for him. it was so cute and there ending was so adorable.

more summary:

in the theater group, there was some interesting ppl. among them was a young boy (grow up to be chen tianwen), who while young, was wise beyoud his years.

At the time, there was a tree spirit that wants to be a deity, but lack the centuries of training to take on a human form. this spirit adopted a son (dragged him from the forest; i will call son "peach boy"). Anywayz , evil enemy of the firegod in heaven (I will can him "rhino" from here on out) told the tree spirit that he would help him become a deity if he kills the firegod-incarnate.

Up in heaven, the firegod's friends (sungod and moongoddess) was enraged by rhino's dirty ways, and endeavor to help the firegod. they stole a weapon from the arsenal of weapons to protect the firegod. it was a buddhist symbol that is placed on the palm and that only works for those who have no regrets (pure of heart? clear conscions (spelled wrong)?). however, to activate it, you have to yell out a key phrase. b/c the firegod-incarnate was mute, so they gave it to his mother b/c she had always been a kind person.

As for the tree spirit, he placed a hex on the leader of the theater group in hopes of tricking the mother to remove the weapon from her palm. she agreed to do it and he was able to appear and attack the firegod-incarnate. To save his loved ones, he was able to yell out the key phrase and was no longer mute.

And so ends the tree spirit, but his legacy doesn't end there. Peach boy swore that he would do whatever it takes to exact vegeance for his adopted father. (it was interesting to see a boy in his teens go into a hotel establishment and cold-heartedly stab a waiter just b/c he said that the firegod-incarnate was a good boy; it kinda alludes to what kind of person peach boy would grow up to be like)

Furthermore, during this time, flower spirit/deity begged the jade emperor to go to earth and help out the firegod and burn down the theater group. jade emperor agrees under that condition that no love/marriage would exist between the two incarnates. and another knot was placed on the long rope of inevitable events... tbc

Interesting what you can find in Youtube.

The opening video of this series.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr_6g...elated&search=