Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meanings of characters' name?

Post Meanings of characters' name?

Most of the JY and GL character have names that have meaning and significance. But there are a lot of names that I can't get it.

Examples:

Murong Fu - named by parents in the hope that he would recover the Yan Dynasty, with the word "复“revive in his name.

Guo Jing and Yang Kang - named by Qiu Chuji to commerate the two emperors Jing and Kang.

Yang Guo - named by Guo Jing to forgive the past doing's of YK.

Zhang Wuji - named by XX in memory of this child Xie Wuji.

Ximen Chuixue - named because he love to blow snow???

What about others characters like Xiao Feng, Linghu Chong or Shi Potian etc., do their names have deep meanings?
    ..ext88

hahahahaha blowing snow
    TaZzY InC

Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88
    Guo Jing and Yang Kang - named by Qiu Chuji to commerate the two emperors Jing and Kang.
    No, Jingkang was the reign period of Emperor Qinzong. During this period, Qinzong and his father Huizong were abducted by the Jin Empire. The names Guo Jing and Yang Kang were not meant to commemorate these two emperors, but to let the children remember the disgrace which the Song Empire suffered during the Defeat of Jingkang.

Yang Guo - named by Guo Jing to forgive the past doing's of YK.
    "Guo" means wrongdoing, while Yang Guo's style is "Gaizhi" which means " amending"... Together, it means to make amends for wrong deeds.

Zhang Wuji - named by XX in memory of this child Xie Wuji.
    Wuji means "fearless" or "without taboo".

Ximen Chuixue - named because he love to blow snow???
    In Mandarin Chinese, Chuixue 吹雪 (blowing snow) has the same sound as Chuixue 吹血 (blowing blood), and refers to Ximen blowing away the blood of his opponents off his blade after a battle.

What about others characters like Xiao Feng, Linghu Chong or Shi Potian etc., do their names have deep meanings?
    Xiao Feng's father is named Xiao Yuanshan, which means "Mountain Afar", Xiao Feng's name means "Mountain Peak", so it can be explained that Xiao Yuanshan had high hopes for his son and wanted him to exceed his father's achievements. Also, Xiao Yuanshan might see his son as his own greatest achievement (the peak of the faraway mountain).

Shi Potian: refers to the Chinese saying Shi Po Tian Jing 石破天惊 "Stone Shattering and Heaven Shaking" (an event of enormous importance).

Yuan Chengzhi: Chengzhi 承志 means to be a successor to (his father's) dream (to ward off the Manchurians)

And of course, the coolest name of them all: Ren Woxing 任我行 ... To Boldly Go Wherever I Want.
    ¹ï ¼Ä ¶· ¬½ ¡A ±Ù ¯ó °£ ®Ú ¡A ¨k ¤k ¦Ñ ¥® ¡A ¤£ ¯d ¤@ ¤H

Huang Yaoshi - [药师] means 'medicine teacher', probably to symbolise his knowledge in medicine.

Hong Qi - [七] means seven, and he was seventh in his line. Qi Gong [七公] is just the name GJ and HR used as a mark of respecting an elder.

Fu Hongxue - another character whose name should be fairly intuitive. I think it has to do with his parents being murdered on a winter night, staining the snow with blood. I only saw the series, so maybe a Gu Long expert can comment.

And yes, I agree Ren Woxing has the coolest name. The name fits the surname very well. It has an intimidating ring to it, and is less blatant than Dugu Qiubai or Dongfang Bubai.

BTW, Gu Long characters seem to have 'cooler' sounding names, its almost like 50% of their characters have compound surnames like Sikong, Ximen, Shangguang etc. I think (might be wrong) one of the characters in Lu Xiao Feng has the name Sikong Zhaixing [司空摘星], which can be a homonym for 'tearing the sky, plucking the stars'.
    The Truth is out there
    I say we leave it there...

Quote Originally Posted by MrIllusion
    Hong Qi - [七] means seven, and he was seventh in his line. Qi Gong [七公] is just the name GJ and HR used as a mark of respecting an elder.
    His name is Hong Qigong, not just Hong Qi. Guo Jing and Huang Rong were simply calling him by his name, Qigong.

Quote Originally Posted by dgfds01
    His name is Hong Qigong, not just Hong Qi. Guo Jing and Huang Rong were simply calling him by his name, Qigong.
    Oh my mistake then. When he said something like, 'I'm seventh in line, but you can call me Qigong', I figured he was using the literal meaning of 'Grandpa Seven'.
    The Truth is out there

Quote Originally Posted by Laviathan
    Xiao Feng's father is named Xiao Yuanshan, which means "Mountain Afar", Xiao Feng's name means "Mountain Peak", so it can be explained that Xiao Yuanshan had high hopes for his son and wanted him to exceed his father's achievements. Also, Xiao Yuanshan might see his son as his own greatest achievement (the peak of the faraway mountain).
    I always thought the name Qiao Feng was given to him by either the Han couple who adopted him or the Budhist monk to gave him to his adopted parents. If 'Fung' was the name given to him by his father, how did those Han people know to name him 'Fung' also? Did XYS included his son's name in the message he wrote on the stone?
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    Did XYS included his son's name in the message he wrote on the stone?
    Yes...

Lav
    ¹ï ¼Ä ¶· ¬½ ¡A ±Ù ¯ó °£ ®Ú ¡A ¨k ¤k ¦Ñ ¥® ¡A ¤£ ¯d ¤@ ¤H

In Mandarin Chinese, Chuixue 吹雪 (blowing snow) has the same sound as Chuixue 吹血 (blowing blood), and refers to Ximen blowing away the blood of his opponents off his blade after a battle.
    Thanks, Lav. Now I know more about Ximen Chuixue's name.
    ..ext88

And of course, the coolest name of them all: Ren Woxing 任我行 ... To Boldly Go Wherever I Want.

I think the coolest goes to Mr. Seeking-A-Loss.

Quote Originally Posted by IcyFox
    I think the coolest goes to Mr. Seeking-A-Loss.
    The "求败" in his name, he adopted himself right?

Other examples:

Guo Xiang - named in honour of Xiangyang City

Guo Polo - named so that one day he would drivethe Mongolians out of Central Plains. "破虏" means breaking the Mongolians' stranglehold on Central Plains.

So what's the meaning of Guo Fu's name?
    ..ext88

He Zudao's name is also not his real name.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I would like to know about Huang Yao Shi's student's names. They're really nice names. Like what were their original names? HYS really like the name Feng to name all his students with the word Feng. I wonder why he never gave Cheng Ying a new name? Is it because he doesn't want to be reminded of the tragedy with his first class of students?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88
    So what's the meaning of Guo Fu's name?
    "Fu" means "lotus", the flower.

Quote Originally Posted by test0012
    "Fu" means "lotus", the flower.
    Really? I thought it means 'cotton'.

Seems like Fu Rong [芙蓉] refers to a family of flowers that includes lotus and hibiscus

I think Mei Chaofeng's original name was Mei Ruohua[梅若华].
    The Truth is out there

What about Xiao Longnu? It was stated that she was given the appellation of 'Xiao Longnu' by those who came for her hand in marriage and/or the rumoured treasures in the tomb, because those goons didn't know her first name. Perhaps Li Mochou simply referred to her as 'Apprentice/Martial Sister Long' when she was spreading the rumours.

I suppose it was her teacher who named her since she's an orphan. However, why 'Long' (such a masculine word for a girl), and is this meant to be her first name, or last name?

"Guo" means wrongdoing, while Yang Guo's style is "Gaizhi" which means " amending"... Together, it means to make amends for wrong deeds.
    I pity Yang Guo. Just a baby, and already burdened with the sins of the father. He's not the one who did wrong, why the hell did the Guo couple named him "make amends for wrong deeds"?
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by Anais
    However, why 'Long' (such a masculine word for a girl), and is this meant to be her first name, or last name?
    'Long' is a Chinese surname, which is why I suspect that 'Long' is her original surname. A lot of people feel otherwise, though, saying that she could not possibly have any recollection of her family, and hence would not know what her surname was.

The reason I say this is because most people, when taking in someone, would either make the orphan adopt their own surname or just simply give a 'given name'. It is somewhat disrespectful to just make someone adopt a surname that has no significance.
    The Truth is out there

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    why the hell did the Guo couple named him "make amends for wrong deeds"?
    I guess the reason is that Chinese tradition used to dictate that one's responsibility must be traced to his/her relatives. Basically, you are what your family is. An example would be when Xiao Feng learned that his father killed all the people, he thought: "since my father's action is basically the same as my own, all these people who thought I was the murderer, were not really wrong after all." So, every son would be born with the past tied to him, essentially.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」