Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: The Smiling Proud Wanderer

  1. #1
    TommyH
    Unregistered

    Default The Smiling Proud Wanderer

    I just read two chapters of this (translated into English by www.lannyland.com). Who's the main character? Right now they only talked about Lin Zhennan, Madam Wang, their son (Lin Pingzhi), and some other stuff (including the Massacre at the Fortune Prestige Escort House Headquarters).

    Can someone tell me more?

  2. #2
    Senior Member MrIllusion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    626

    Default

    Spoiler-free

    Main character is the eldest disciple of Huashan called Linghu Chong, who unwittingly gets drawn into a feud between a demonic cult called the 'Sun and Moon Cult' and the 5 Mountain Sword Sects, which consists of Huashan, Songshan, Northern Hengshan, Southern Hengshan and Taishan.

    To me the biggest concept in this story is the grey area between good and evil. Those who belong to an honourable clan may not necessarily be righteous, and those that belong to clans of dubious origins may not necessarily be despicable.

    Also, if you like wuxia characters that blush a lot this is it...
    The Truth is out there
    I say we leave it there...

  3. #3
    TommyH
    Unregistered

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrIllusion
    Spoiler-free

    Main character is the eldest disciple of Huashan called Linghu Chong, who unwittingly gets drawn into a feud between a demonic cult called the 'Sun and Moon Cult' and the 5 Mountain Sword Sects, which consists of Huashan, Songshan, Northern Hengshan, Southern Hengshan and Taishan.

    To me the biggest concept in this story is the grey area between good and evil. Those who belong to an honourable clan may not necessarily be righteous, and those that belong to clans of dubious origins may not necessarily be despicable.

    Also, if you like wuxia characters that blush a lot this is it...

    ohh..i just started reading chapter 3 and the eldest disciple of Huashan didn't appear yet but they've been talking a lot about him.

    does the martial arts of any of these characters reach a "high" level? (YG, GJ, XF level)

  4. #4
    Senior Member Thai guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    663

    Default

    It is hard to say. I believe that LHC had an excellent sword technique but I doubt his internal energy. Thus, when it comes to the fair fight with GJ, YG, I think he might lose. Above all, LHC's fight with the head of Wudang just came to a draw.

  5. #5
    Senior Member MrIllusion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    626

    Default

    It seems like as the eras go by, JY puts less and less emphasis on the main characters having great martial arts, culminating with the iconic Wei Xiaobao...

    The villains in XAJH are pretty powerful though.
    The Truth is out there
    I say we leave it there...

  6. #6
    TommyH
    Unregistered

    Default

    i'm at the middle of the 3rd chapter and they didn't really talk much about people's inner power yet. they just talked about how Hengshan's Master wanted the Manuscript for the Evil-Resisting Art.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Han Solo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    5,562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TommyH
    i'm at the middle of the 3rd chapter and they didn't really talk much about people's inner power yet. they just talked about how Hengshan's Master wanted the Manuscript for the Evil-Resisting Art.
    Are you sure that you are not confusing the Hengshan with the Qincheng?

  8. #8
    TommyH
    Unregistered

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo
    Are you sure that you are not confusing the Hengshan with the Qincheng?

    Ohh sorry...I was just thinking about that guy from Hengshan...his Golden Basin Hand Washing ceremony. Yes I meant Qingcheng.

    So...what level (around) is Lin Zhennan's (Lin Pingzhi's father's) inner power level. He seem really weak. They didn't talk much about the inner powers anyways.

    By the way...I like the sound of the Heart Crushing Palm...was it the Master of Qingcheng who used them against those people?
    Last edited by TommyH; 04-01-06 at 12:10 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member kidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    13,078

    Default

    The martial art concept in XAJH is different from other novels. In XAJH, technique > internal energy.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

    和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

  10. #10
    TommyH
    Unregistered

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    The martial art concept in XAJH is different from other novels. In XAJH, technique > internal energy.
    ehh i wonder why

    but i like the Heart Crushing Palm...

  11. #11
    TommyH
    Unregistered

    Default

    At which level (Ling Hu Chong's inner power) would you rate him from 1-10?

    What would you rate YG/GJ? (I want to know his/LHC's power compared to the greats)
    Last edited by TommyH; 04-01-06 at 01:49 PM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member ChronoReverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    The martial art concept in XAJH is different from other novels. In XAJH, technique > internal energy.

    Eh? For most of XAJH, it's still Internal Energy > Technique. The only exception was LHC and even he lost to those with much better internal energy.

    Even in the other JY novels, it's clearly stated that technique gives the early edge while internal energy eventually surpasses technique. It's spelled out completely in XAJH.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Demonic Swordsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jiang Hu
    Posts
    762

    Default

    this is one of the best novels that jin yong wrote in my opinion

    keep reading...it gets really interesting!

  14. #14
    TommyH
    Unregistered

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TommyH
    At which level (Ling Hu Chong's inner power) would you rate him from 1-10?

    What would you rate YG/GJ? (I want to know his/LHC's power compared to the greats)

    can someone please answer this question for me?

  15. #15
    Senior Member Han Solo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    5,562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TommyH
    At which level (Ling Hu Chong's inner power) would you rate him from 1-10?

    What would you rate YG/GJ? (I want to know his/LHC's power compared to the greats)
    If you want it to be answered, you must be prepared for a spoiler of all the martial arts that LHC will learn in the future. LHC's inner power at a rough estimate would be at 0.7 of a great.

  16. #16
    TommyH
    Unregistered

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo
    If you want it to be answered, you must be prepared for a spoiler of all the martial arts that LHC will learn in the future. LHC's inner power at a rough estimate would be at 0.7 of a great.

    0.7%?

    Is that 70% of a great or what?

  17. #17
    Senior Member MrIllusion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TommyH
    0.7%?

    Is that 70% of a great or what?
    Linghu Chong isn't a 'power character' in JY's canon. He's invincible enough compared to the other characters in the story, but if you're comparing to protaganists from other stories, you might be disappointed.

    It's like comparing the characters from 'Troy' to those from 'Lord of the Rings'...
    The Truth is out there
    I say we leave it there...

  18. #18
    TommyH
    Unregistered

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrIllusion
    Linghu Chong isn't a 'power character' in JY's canon. He's invincible enough compared to the other characters in the story, but if you're comparing to protaganists from other stories, you might be disappointed.

    It's like comparing the characters from 'Troy' to those from 'Lord of the Rings'...
    ohh i see...by the way...

    why do some martial arts require the male to turn himself into an eunuch? what if a female was learning it?

    i saw a adaption of XAJH and DongFong Undeafeatable turned himself into an eunuch just to learn some martial arts.

  19. #19
    TommyH
    Unregistered

    Default

    I hate this Qingcheng Master Yu Canghai...sounds like he's a real pain...

  20. #20
    Senior Member Extremer88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    LOHAH - Land of Honour & Happiness
    Posts
    2,405

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by TommyH
    I hate this Qingcheng Master Yu Canghai...sounds like he's a real pain...
    Continue on with the story, and you will find that Yue Buqun is more irritating
    ..ext88

Similar Threads

  1. Smiling Proud Wanderer - Unabridged
    By hhaung in forum Wuxia Translations
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-30-12, 08:32 PM
  2. Smiling Proud Wanderer Chapter 36-40
    By pokit in forum Wuxia Translations
    Replies: 415
    Last Post: 01-31-10, 10:41 AM
  3. Sunflower Manual in Smiling Proud Wanderer
    By smurf120 in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-27-08, 06:54 PM
  4. Smiling Proud Wanderer
    By hhaung in forum Wuxia Translations
    Replies: 982
    Last Post: 07-09-07, 09:37 AM
  5. Smiling Proud Wanderer Chapter 29 onwards
    By pokit in forum Wuxia Translations
    Replies: 859
    Last Post: 07-07-07, 07:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •