Thread: A competition of other talents

Default A competition of other talents

Who had the most talent overall in multidisplinary fields?

how does HYS compare to SuXingHe? how about SXH's sifu Xiaoyao elder WuYaZi?

How about He Zhu Dao and other well rounded ppl in JY novels? (can anyone give examples from other books? RYY is quite talented in XAJH no?)

He Zudao would pale in comparison to Huang Yaoshi and Wuyazi. Zudao was not an expert in medicine like the other 2. AND, his martial arts is way below them

Well, I think Wuyazi should be the most overall well-rounded fellow. His disciple didn't reach his mastery of the arts, and his disciple's disciples were notches below him. Yet, Dr. Xue Muhua became the most accomplished doctor in the world. But as his master Su Xinghe said, Dr. Xue's mastery of Xiaoyao Pai's medicial arts is actually next to none. So, imagine how good Wuyazi's healing skills must have been. And, his disciples said that he was that good at just about everything.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I believe Xie Xun and Zhang Wuji are also worthy mentions.

Xie Xun he himself being "blind" was able to predict the flowing wind surrounding the Fire Ice Island. It was a remarkable feat for me. I doubt people like Wuyazi and Dr. Xue Muhua can easily predict the stars or the weather just like Xie Xun did.

Zhang Wuji knew both super good healing and poisoning skills. He also knew Persian martial arts which are totally different from Central Plains' martial arts.
    ..ext88

Actually Wuyazi was said to be an expert in astrology. Xue Muhua only possessed about 5% of the knowledge of Wuyazi.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    Actually Wuyazi was said to be an expert in astrology.
    The visible difference was that Xie Xun was blind, just using his ears, he can predict the flow of the wind.
    ..ext88

Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88
    The visible difference was that Xie Xun was blind, just using his ears, he can predict the flow of the wind.
    Well, Wuyazi was crippled; he just sits in a dark room, which essentially renders him blind AND deaf. Who knows, maybe the guy can still predict everything without his senses, i.e. he has reached the 7th sense.

(sorry, could not resist the Saint Seiya reference).

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    Well, Wuyazi was crippled; he just sits in a dark room, which essentially renders him blind AND deaf. Who knows, maybe the guy can still predict everything without his senses, i.e. he has reached the 7th sense.

(sorry, could not resist the Saint Seiya reference).
    Possible, I also feel that Wuyazi is very powerful and well-rounded, especially when he's a member of Xiaoyao.
    ..ext88

So would you rank WYZ's disciple Su Xing He also above HYS overall? Who were his 7 (or 9?) disciples again?

Imagine that Xue Mu Hua is pretty much good enough to save just about anyone and can diagnose exactly which skill caused the harm, and yet only possess a minute amount of medical knowledge compare to WYZ. Me thinks that if XF manage to solve the go puzzle and preserved Ah Zhu on an ice bed, she could have been revived by WYZ.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz
    So would you rank WYZ's disciple Su Xing He also above HYS overall?
    I'll write a few more things to let the reader decide. Although Su Xinghe had more expertise than all of his disciples combined (which is extremely impressive), he was easily distracted by new things; that's why he gave up pursuing martial arts for other arts, but he tried to learn all of them which means he was probably not great at any of them--great by Xiaoyao Pai standards of course.

Who were his 7 (or 9?) disciples again?
    Su Xinghe had 8 disciples, each specializing in one specific craft, including opera, gardening, and literature. These were things that Wuyazi exceled in, and each disciple only learned a fraction of Xiaoyao Pai's knowledge in their specific area. For example, Dr. Xue only learned a small fraction of Xiaoyao Pai's medical knowledge. Su Xinghe was better in medicine than Dr. Xue, because Dr. Xue was unable to diagnose You Tanzhi's ice worm poison, but Su Xinghe could think of a cure easily--which is why I think Su Xinghe's knowledge exceeds all 8 of his disciples combined.

Wuyazi and HYS are very similar characters. Both are geniuses in almost everything under the sun and both wanted a perfect disciple or son-in-law in HYS's case, yet ended up with duds (relative to their own standards).
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

And before that, they had disciples that betrayed them (both love related in third editioN) and had disciples that are 'crippled' and can't do anything about the rotton disicples.

Yi Deng was at least as skilled at HYS in the art of medicine. That's what is so great about the Greats, they were all Renaissance men that excelled at everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen
    Yi Deng was at least as skilled at HYS in the art of medicine. That's what is so great about the Greats, they were all Renaissance men that excelled at everything.
    YD's expertise lies in healing internal energy, whereas HYS knows both internal and external medicine. YD's expertise lies more in Buddhism.

What about OYF?

I thought he knew how to use poison like poison snakes etc.
    ..ext88

But overall other greats can't match HYS. Sure they are proficient in other fields other than martial arts, but not as many as HYS.

Didnt OYF say, in order to match the other Greats additional support he needed a herd of poisonous snakes. The other Greats additional support being: H7G's beggar clan, 1Deng's royalty/army and HYS's strategic placements - suggesting HYS is an one many army (well defence-wise on peach blossum).

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo
    YD's expertise lies in healing internal energy, whereas HYS knows both internal and external medicine. YD's expertise lies more in Buddhism.
    In the second edition of ROCH, when HYS, YD, HR, Ying Gu, Zhou Botong, Ling Xian'er, Chen Ying are fighting their way to Xiangyang, both Zhou Botong and Ling Xian'er are hurt badly by arrows. It's stated in the novel that both Yi Deng and Huang Yaoshi were well versed in the healing arts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt
    In the second edition of ROCH, when HYS, YD, HR, Ying Gu, Zhou Botong, Ling Xian'er, Chen Ying are fighting their way to Xiangyang, both Zhou Botong and Ling Xian'er are hurt badly by arrows. It's stated in the novel that both Yi Deng and Huang Yaoshi were well versed in the healing arts.
    I think you meant Lu Wushuang instead of Lin Xian'er.

Quote Originally Posted by junzi
    I think you meant Lu Wushuang instead of Lin Xian'er.
    Yeah. Thanks.