Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could DuGu Qiu Bai have been a female?

Default Could DuGu Qiu Bai have been a female?

I just watched Ashes of time and they portrayed DuGu as a female..I was wondering it it was possible for him to be female. Is there actual evidence in the novel that states he is a male? or is it left open?
    Formerly DuGu Qiu Bai

I don't see why not (although the Heavy Iron Sword is a little hard to fathom if Dook Goo Kau Bai had been a woman), but I hope we get better theories on this possibility than "Son of Light" ideas.

In his tomb, Dugu Qiubai wrote “凌厉刚猛,无坚不摧,弱冠前以之与河朔群雄争锋。” The Chinese term 弱冠 is used to describe a male who has reached 20 years of age. So, we know that Dugu Qiubai is male.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Clearly Mr. Du-Gu is the most self-conceited character in all of JY's works. His whole world centered on being Number One, and when he finally got there he realized the loneliness it entailed was not something he was prepared for.
    林家有女玉啄成
    嫣然巧笑艳冠人
    纤纤起舞随风动
    疑似飞燕又重生

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    I don't see why not (although the Heavy Iron Sword is a little hard to fathom if Dook Goo Kau Bai had been a woman), but I hope we get better theories on this possibility than "Son of Light" ideas.
    I miss 'Son of Light'.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by Siven
    Clearly Mr. Du-Gu is the most self-conceited character in all of JY's works. His whole world centered on being Number One, and when he finally got there he realized the loneliness it entailed was not something he was prepared for.
    The 5 Greats all wanted to be #1 as well. I don't consider one to be self-conceited when they want to become the best. Only how one's perception of self and how one behave around others can deem a person conceited.

Quote Originally Posted by Siven View Post
    maybe this is the long explanation

...What is Most important in this world?Influence?Power?Knowledge?Love?isnt that very lonely?name...i dont even remember what is my name.
    i remember born weak body...,but the story is begin when some people begin to call me a child prodigy....
    i dont remember who is my shifu....but i do remember i had this countless challange from many master pugilist in jianghu
    they all keep saying i was the child prodigy,i do learn sword technique but forgotten when i begin to add my own way into my shifu's teaching
    "my first sword was so sharp,strong and fierce that none could withstand it.With it in hand.I Strive for Mastery by challenging all the heroes of northern plains in my teenage years"
    actually what am i doing is learning and exploiting their own weaknesses,i was be able to tell where is some or certain move's weakness by observing them a little.maybe this is what they call gift
    "My second sword was violet in hue and flexible in motion,I used it in my 20s.With it.I Have mistakenly wounded men of rightteousness.it turned out to be weapon of doom that caused me to feel remorseful endlessly.icast it into a deep canyon"
    i remember revising 8 stance for my basic swordplay...,after that even it still make me regreting for not be able to stop that attack...
    that event makes me keep finding my life's meaning,i keep challenging heroes of pugilist world...not before long they nicknamed me "Sword Demon"

one day...i heard this one man...he work as goverment official...
    some of master pugilist is saying that he is good event amongs the masters... and he is capable to giving me some pointer that im seeking for my sword technique...
    so in my very interest i was be able to meet him in person...
    his name is HuangShang...i dont remember any name thus i defeat in the past but him...
    this one man... with his Internal Strength that i know is deeper than any master pugilist i meet in my past journey...giving me hard taste of defeat....i was so angry,despair...but at the same time i feel excited....
    and after sparring with him its motivating me to creating the 9th stance in my sword tech for solely purpose to defeat him...i name it "Po Qi Shi"

with my experience in the past when defeat by him...i can feel that finally i could challenge him once more...so i move out from this cave and go find him...
    yet...he welcome me with courtesy...we are sparring once more...
    with hard and effort i finally showing upper hand with my new developed stance... and i was be able to defeat him...

3 years later....

he came visiting me in this cave... i was so surprise....but..happy with him visiting me
    after we chat for sometimes,he tell me the purpose that he coming visiting...
    he challenge me once more...and we fight...
    the fight doesnt last for long... its ended in a blink of eye,he is coming at me without i could even tell...and already had me cornered in an instant,this new strength of him gives me the taste im begining to forgot...the taste of despair of defeat and hopeless
    later on as he said after im defeating him and leaving...he is revising his inner strength...to more Yin...more vicious...faster...to the point where i dont even see his shadow when i was fight with him
    he said come to him when i got a way to defeat him...

"My third sword was heavy and blunt. The uttermost cunning is based on simplicity. With it, I roamed all lands under Heaven unopposed in my 30s."
    the only man can give me challenge i want is only him
    with that word he left for me i was begining to train my inner strength..... day after day my inner strength growing but still... i knew its not enough to defeat him...
    to the point where a normal sword cant even withstand my inner strength,...it keep breaking whenever i channel my inner energy to my sword...and later i was using blunt sword...its sturdier but heavier and i seem dont get any problem lifting this big sword and swinging it around

10 years later...
    "After the age of 40, I was no longer hampered by any weapon. Grass, trees, bamboos and rocks can all be my swords. Since then, I have developed my skills further, such that gradually I can win battles without reaching for weapons."
    finally i got my confidence to challenge him once more....to find that he is already dead... i was shocked... i roaming under heaven to find someone that can fight me on equal term...even giving me a defeat
    every master pugilist i came across is like childplay to me... its really lonely...i still doesnt get why are so many people striving to become thian xia wu di...in the end i cant find who can understand me...except him
    ...i keep challenging master pugilist... and they all are defeated and asked for my name or my shifu's name....thus already been forgotten...i silent for a while and replying..."Dugu"(single and lonely)....Qiubai(to seek defeat) and leaving....

in my last day in this world...im living isolated in this very cave...with a baby born condor i saved....
    i left my life story here... for those whoever find it...to know that there is a concequences of being undefeatable....
    hence i will left this book containing 9 of my sword stance here with this journal if they are choose to bear those concequences

He is definitely a man.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://static.anhtrang.vn/i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp171/helpyoutho/post-494173-1186840358.jpg')

It all makes sense. Also, when Yang Guo jumped off the cliff towards the end of the story, he wasn't jumping after a vision of Xiao Longnu as the author stated. Instead, he was looking for the ultimate culinary experience, that famed Japanese dish based on the deadly poisonous pufferfish, whose poison could be used to save lives, even the deeply-ingrained poison that XLN was suffering from. As such, the novel is somewhat misnamed. Rather than Shen Diao Xia Lu, or the Divine Eagle and his Companion, it should be titled Gugu's Dugu Cooks Fugu.

To Alex Santoso ... for whatever reason, you are a very imaginative story teller. But, dugu died lonely as number #1 seeking a loss, not as #2 seeking a win that he never gets!

Quote Originally Posted by shortsight View Post
    To Alex Santoso ... for whatever reason, you are a very imaginative story teller. But, dugu died lonely as number #1 seeking a loss, not as #2 seeking a win that he never gets!
    Dugu died lonely by himself? Wasn't he end up with Lau Ngo Seung in the end?

What a strange thread...

I hope Yu Zheng doesn't see this or else he'll make DGQB a female in his version of ROCH. Oh nooooeeessss the horror.

Yu Zheng can go die la!
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Dugu died lonely by himself? Wasn't he end up with Lau Ngo Seung in the end?
    Or probably with Brother Condor, but definitely not with a lady. That was made up by TVB.

Quote Originally Posted by shortsight View Post
    Or probably with Brother Condor, but definitely not with a lady. That was made up by TVB.
    I know it was made up by TVB but we should use it as a fact since Jin Yong did not mentioned anything specific about Dugu. It would be 1,000,000,000 times better if Dugu ended up with his wife (Maggie Siu character) instead.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    I miss 'Son of Light'.
    Nice to know that. ^^
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...88&ref=tn_tnmn
    This year, August 25th~26th
    1st Singapore Ancient Chinese Culture Camp, pls join if you are in Singapore. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    In his tomb, Dugu Qiubai wrote “凌厉刚猛,无坚不摧,弱冠前以之与河朔群雄争锋。” The Chinese term 弱冠 is used to describe a male who has reached 20 years of age. So, we know that Dugu Qiubai is male.
    Not really, she might have been a girl whom was brought up as a man because her dad wants a son but don't have one.
    1st Singapore Ancient Chinese Culture Camp, pls join if you are in Singapore. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Light View Post
    Not really, she might have been a girl whom was brought up as a man because her dad wants a son but don't have one.
    Maybe he was a talking bird who was adopted by a childless woman who really wanted a son. Would explain why he hit it off with the condor.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Maybe he was a talking bird who was adopted by a childless woman who really wanted a son. Would explain why he hit it off with the condor.
    True, very likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    I know it was made up by TVB but we should use it as a fact since Jin Yong did not mentioned anything specific about Dugu.
    Have you ever heard the expression, "You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts?"