Thread: series about warring states period

Default series about warring states period

Are there any series about this period of history, or about the wars and legends from before the Three Kingdoms (like about Liu Bang and others) Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

New ones:

I think there is one about Jing Ke which is set in the 7 Kingdom period that is about to come out. I forgot who stars in it. Maybe Chen Bao Guo.

Hu Jun and Jacqueline Wu are also coming out with a version of the Chu Han War.

Old ones:

Romance of the Three Kingdoms: one classic series. 5 stars

Han Wu Da Di: came out in 04, quite good and exciting. 5 stars

Da Han Tian Zi: similar to HWDD but 80% of it is made up, watch it for HXM if you like him. 3 stars

Is Feng Sheng Bang counted?

I'll think of more later on.

Any one watched that old one about Empress Lui Chi yet? My mum is looking for it when she goes back nect month. Anyone can give me a comment about to but or not to buy?
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

There is an old one about young Zhuge Liang acted by Ren Quan and another one about the little prime minister (a kid) during the warring states, can't remember the name.
    "Most men are of naught more use in their lives but as machines for turning food into shit."

-- Miles Vorkosigan quoting his grandfather (Lois McMaster Bujold, "Memory")

How about Warrior Period I starring Roger Kwok, Kent Cheng, Esther Kwan and others...?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

There's a series called "Dong Zhou Lie Guo: Zhan Guo Pian" ( 东周列国: 战国篇 ) that you can try. It's split up into 11 sections about various people and events during the Warring States period. The format is similar to that of its sister series about the Spring and Autumn period.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

charbydis: If we're talking about the same Jing Ke Chuan Qi series, it's about the assassin and not especially historical, as far as I can tell. It's been out for awhile, I think. Would you happen to have more info about the upcoming Chu Han war series you mentioned? A link or a title in Chinese? Feng Shen Bang's a bit more fantasy than what I was originally thinking of, though the new one looks promising.

tinac: San Guo again, but out of curiosity, I'll try looking into Ren Quan's old series. It sounds interesting.

Suet Seung: Is it called 孙子兵法? Sounds good, though it might be hard for me to find since it seems kind of old.

Lady Zhuge: Thanks for the suggestion and link. What did you think of the series?

Thanks to all of you for the replies! I'd been thinking there weren't that many about this time period but I'm happy to find I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by qi_lin
    charbydis: If we're talking about the same Jing Ke Chuan Qi series, it's about the assassin and not especially historical, as far as I can tell. It's been out for awhile, I think. Would you happen to have more info about the upcoming Chu Han war series you mentioned? A link or a title in Chinese? Feng Shen Bang's a bit more fantasy than what I was originally thinking of, though the new one looks promising.
    Oh yes, It is Jing Ke Chuan Qi.

About the Chu Han one, it is called "Chu Han Feng Yun". It came out in March I think. Here's a link in Chinese abotu the synopsis: Chu Han Feng Yun

It looks good to me. Jacqueline seems very suitable for Lui Chi. Because it just came out, picsof it and reviews may take a while. I'll post more if I come across anymore.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Wang Gang's in it, a good sign. (I wonder if he'll ever get to play a non-evil character.) I'll be on the lookout for this one. Thanks, charbydis!

Wang Gang's in it, a good sign. (I wonder if he'll ever get to play a non-evil character.) I'll be on the lookout for this one. Thanks, charbydis!
    He played Wang Cheng En in "Jiang Shan Feng Yu Qing" and he wasn't evil, but just not good!
    Cyril Connolly

Lady Zhuge: Thanks for the suggestion and link. What did you think of the series?
    I haven't seen that particular series yet. I would think it's about the same as the one on the Spring and Autumn period (which I have seen and liked for the most part). Some stories are more interesting than others.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Talking

Yikes, I was just crusing about in the Baidu Chen bao Guo forum when i found out, aside from Damien Lau's version in "Warlords", there will also be two more Mainland series about the King of Yue, Gou Qian.

《越王勾践》, starrring Chen Bao Guo, Bao An Guo (Cao Cao in ROTTK) and You Yong (pics of CBG as GQ here and of teh catress playing Xi Shi here ) But i think she looks quite old. Oh well, maybe the real thing would look much better!

《卧薪尝胆》 with Chen Dao Ming as GQ and Hu Jun and the King of Wu, Fu Chai (no pics, but some brief info here and here ).

Will post more if i find any! Both have just started filming!

Gees, it is a popular story for 2006! Now I am in trouble, which one should I watch?
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis

Gees, it is a popular story for 2006! Now I am in trouble, which one should I watch?
    You know the best answer is always--- all of them!!! mwahahhahaha

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

My mum would kill me! and I will go broke! I think I might skip Damien's one, and rent Chen Bao Guo's one, then get Chen Dao Ming's one off a friend!
    Cyril Connolly

Here are some better pics of Xi Shi and the rest of the cast .

And Ady An (I think) is playing Xi Shi in Chen Dao Min's version.

And doesn't Hu Jun look a bit unnatural here:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.8mchina.com/Images/News/pictureSrc/2006/2/24/9425cb84ec4c414891ac5e5c0697027d.jpg')
    Cyril Connolly

Yeah...his hair and mustache looks really strange on him.

Awesome, more action for this era! Thanks for updating. It's probably a bad thing I try to learn a bit of history from tv rather than from more credible sources...but it's better than nothing. I know some idioms from this time period about the wars and such, but didn't know of any related series to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    You know the best answer is always--- all of them!!! mwahahhahaha
    hear hear

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis
    he wasn't evil, but just not good!
    I guess I don't really mean evil evil, but I feel bad for him always being cast against the heroes.

Ady as Xi Shi? I don't mind her, but...it's Xi Shi we're talking about! Ady doesn't quite look the ancient beauty.

hihi! I agree! But it was rumoured that the role was offered to Ady, don't think it is confirmed. I'll go and check.
    Cyril Connolly