Page 1 of 170 123456789101151101 ... LastLast

Thread: INTRODUCING the latest SURVIVOR extravaganza

Default INTRODUCING the latest SURVIVOR extravaganza

We have time to play one more Survivor game before people start disappearing for the summer. If you enjoyed the heart-pounding, earth-shattering excitement of the previous Survivor games, please join me for another round of FUN.

The survivor of this game will NOT be a person. The world trembles as the MARTIAL ARTS TREASURES are pitted against each other in SURVIVAL OF THE GREATEST KUNG FU.

Please note: the game has officially started, but you are free to provide feedback at any time.

( For your reference, visit the previous survior games: swordsman survival , femme fatale , strongest warriors , the greats )

Here are the contesants, categorized into one of five categories.

PALM
    Jiumozhi's Flaming Blade Palm (Huo Yan Dao)
    18 Dragon Subduing Palms
    Luo Ying Shen Jian Zhang
    Iron Sand Palm
    Sad Palm
    Xuan Ming Divine Palm
    Zuo Lengchan's Glacial Ice Palm (Han Bin Zhang)

SWORD/WEAPON
    6 Meridian Swords (6 Mai Shen Jian)
    Jade Flute Swordplay (Yu Xiao Jian Fa)
    Dog-Beating Stick
    Jade Maiden Swordplay
    Heavy Iron Sword
    Dugu 9 Swords

ENERGY MANIPULATION
    Murong Family's Power-Shifting Method (Dou Zhuan Xing Yi)
    Qian Kun Da Nuo Yi (Great Reversal)
    Tai Chi Boxing/Swordplay
    Bei Ming Shen Gong (Northern Ocean)
    Energy-Dissipating Technique (Hua Gong Da Fa)
    Star Absorbing Technique (Xi Xin Da Fa)

INTERNAL ENERGY
    Yi Jin Jing
    Xiao Wu Xiang Gong
    9 Yin Zhen Jing
    Dragon Elephant Sutra
    9 Yang Shen Gong
    Sunflower Volumes (Kui Hua Bao Dian)
    Ode to Gallantry art
    Ba Huang Liu He Wei Wo Du Zun Gong (Everywhere I Reign Supremely)

OTHER EXOTIC
    72 Supreme Arts of Shaolin
    Treading Waves Light Steps (Ling Bo Wei Bu)
    Shen Si Fu (Life-Death Talisman)
    Li Qiu Shui's Soul-Searching Skill
    Yiyang Finger
    Toad Stances (Ha Ma Gong)
    Mighty Finger Snap (Tan Zhi Shen Tong)
    Quanzhen's Big Dipper Formation
    Left/Right Technique

Do the categories and their martial arts make sense? Did I miss anything super important? Please note that I cannot possibly include every worthy martial arts in this list -- only the super important ones. :-) Off the top of my head, I did not include Tianshan 6 Yang Palm or Zhemei Hand, b/c there are already 6 Xiaoyao Pai kung fu represented.

THE RULES:
    1. there are a total of 5 categories, divided into 3 rounds, played separately:
    First round: PALM and INTERNAL ENERGY
    Second round: SWORD/WEAPON and ENERGY MANIPULATION
    Third round: OTHER EXOTIC KUNG FU

We will play a final round with The winners of each of 3 normal rounds. The winner of this round will be the ultimate kung fu of all time.

New rules for Round 2. The following 3 rules supercedes all the rules below them. Please take note.

-There are 12 contestants total. For each turn, you may cast ONE -or- TWO votes. IF you cast 2 votes, one must be (+) and the other must be (-). We will not make distinctions of the 2 categories; this means that you can cast 2 votes for either category.

-Retirement starts on the third day of Round 2's start time. Starting on the third day, each day the lowest scored AND the highest scored kung fu will be retired.

Why are we doing this? Firstly, people tend to get tired of repetition, and they need changes to keep their interest. Secondly, by eliminating the lowest -and- highest scores daily, the gameplay is not straight forward any more. Personally, I think it is interesting to devise a new strategy to achieve your goal. For example, you may need to vote for other kung fu in order to get the one that you like to win. To further justify the change, I would like to point out that in real life situations, you are often stuck with predetermined rules with some constraints; they are not perfect nor straight forward. By making the gameplay slightly more complex I am challenging you to rise to the occasion and adapt to the situation while still "getting the job done"--an ability crucial to success in the real world. Remember, your goal is the same, only the rules have changed.

Don't worry too much. We are only experimenting with this change for this round. Actually I already have a simpler plan for Round 3; it will be the straight forward "highest scorer wins" type of play again.

-When there are 8 contestants left, alternating votes will be mandated, and the votes will weigh as follows: +1/-3. This weight will continue until we reach the final 5 contestants.

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY: For round 1 and round 2, each with 2 categories competing, the top 5 surviving kung fu from each round will move on. For round 3, the top 3 kung fu will move on. Therefore, the final round will consist of 13 total kung fu competing for the ultimate title. I believe this will enable to game to move on to the final round in a more timely fashion, and also give more contestants the opportunity to compete, and also make the gameplay more intense hopefully.

2. REVISED RULE: EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, Each kung fu starts at 10 points. You may cast one vote or 2 votes each time. Your vote may be a (+) vote or a (-) vote any time; I do not wish to restrict your freedom there.

3. REVISED ALERT: You may vote once every FOUR turns OR every 30 minutes, whichever comes first; this means that unless 30 minutes have passed since your last vote, you must wait until at least THREE others have voted before you vote again.

4. To facilitate the tracking of the scores, please cut and paste the ENTIRE LIST of kung fu in your post (highlighting your addition/subtraction).

5. Mandatory retirement, revised April 7, 2006: in order to ensure that the game flows at a steady pace, the candidates with the 2 lowest score will be mandatorily retired if no candidate has been voted out in the past 24 hours, unless there was extensive server downtime. When retirement is effective, every contestant that shares the 2 lowest scores will be retired. To make things easier, double-retirement will take place ONCE PER DAY at around midnight Eastern Standard Time (the exact time will vary daily, and will be announced in advance). For example, imagine that the scores look like this at the end of day x:

18 Dragon Palms 8
    Dugu 9 Swords 7
    Heavy Iron Sword 5
    Jade Flute 5

The 2 lowest scores are 5 and 7. We would retire Heavy Iron Sword (5), Jade Flute (5), and Dugu 9 Swords (7).

6. Winner Forecasting. Each player has the opportunity to earn DOUBLE VOTING POINTS for the next round by providing the best forecast of the winner of the current round, within 48 hours of the start of the current round. The incentive is that if your forecast is the best, your vote for the next round will count TWICE as much weight as any other member's vote. For each round, there will be at least one winning forecast.

Here is how it works: you post IN THIS TOPIC a top 5 list, with 5 contestants for that round that you think will be the last 5 survivors. In your list, You should only indicate which contestant is the #1 survivor; the other 4 survivors would be unranked. When the game results are in, we will see who has/have the best forecast(s). In case of a tie, each of the tied forecasts will be a winner.

For added incentive, perhaps we can even convince the moderators to grant you a special. For example, you would be known as "Survivor Forecast Champion" instead of "Senior Member."

If you have any concern or confusion, please ask me.
    Last edited by PJ; 04-10-06 at 02:10 AM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Oh yeah... forgot to mention, due to my limited knowledge about Gu Long's famous martial arts names, this game will only contain Jin Yong's martial arts.

question...does daily retirement means each day one kung fu gets off the list (lowest score at the end of the day).

Count me in. I'm not gonna miss this one.

PJ, I think we could also add Luohan Fu Muo Shen Gong of Ode to Gallantry and Shen Zhao Gong of Linked Cities.
    ..ext88

oh, not again. the favorite female has not ended, in coma due to the MIA thread starter. confirm that will be the last one? can you give me 50 votes and i vote all at one time?

What do you mean by Palm vs Internals? Does that mean they compete together or do they compete against each other? Or do you choose take one of each in one turn or alternating turns?

Why not have 5 rounds? Holiday time restraint?

Oh when can we start advertising for HYS's awesome martial arts techniques?

Quote Originally Posted by yittz
    Hey yittz, are you big fan of HYS or something?
    ..ext88

Hell yeah, wanna join the HYS fan club?

Isn't he awesome at everything, which makes his crap personality looks uber cool.

Hell yeah, wanna join the HYS fan club?

Isn't he awesome at everything, which makes his crap personality looks uber cool.
    Do I need to pay for the entrance fee? I only like free stuffs.
    ..ext88

Its free for now, but there may be an entrance fee after a period. So you better join quick. (advertiseschemes101)

So I sign you up.

So I sign you up.
    Cool, okay!
    ..ext88

I'll play for sure

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej
    oh, not again. the favorite female has not ended, in coma due to the MIA thread starter. confirm that will be the last one? can you give me 50 votes and i vote all at one time?
    Chickenfeet is around, at least he's been posting at wuxiamania forum. He's known as Dimsum there.

I wonder why he hasn't visited this forum.
    - WuxiaSociety.org (formerly known as wuxiamania forum) -

----- the society of global wuxia fans ----

TommyH
    Unregistered

Ehh! This is going to be the first Survivor game I'll be participating in so hopefully I'll like it

What do you mean by Palm vs Internals? Does that mean they compete together or do they compete against each other?
    I just lumped Palm with IE because they have similar # of contestants. I originally wanted them to compete against each other, thus the "VS". But I eventually decided against it, so now all it means is that the Palm and IE categories will be in round 1 together.

Why not have 5 rounds? Holiday time restraint?
    Well, I think one category per round may be too specific. I don't want the anti-palm people for example to feel left out in a palm-specific round. With my way at least they can choose from another category.

As soon as the game starts, presumably in a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88
    PJ, I think we could also add Luohan Fu Muo Shen Gong of Ode to Gallantry
    I could do it, but I think it will take away a lot of votes from the Ode to Gallantry kung fu, which is the real badass from that novel. Would you prefer to concentrate on OTG alone, so that it has a better chance of winning?

and Shen Zhao Gong of Linked Cities.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but Qing dynasty kung fu are rather weak compared to the rest. I don't think I can justify including any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by slchan0
    question...does daily retirement means each day one kung fu gets off the list (lowest score at the end of the day).
    Yes, but only if no kung fu has been voted off with a (0) score. If a kung fu has been voted out, then no retirement will happen that day.
    Last edited by PJ; 04-05-06 at 07:32 PM.

I don't know about you guys, but I personally enjoy forecasting the winners of these games ahead of time. In the previous game, no prediction from any member was close to the actual result, but I'd like to continue this tradition, and please feel free to join me. We will be forecasting the winner of each round, within 24 hours of the start of that round. There is an incentive for this: if your forecast is good, your vote for the next round will count TWICE as much weight. For each round, there will be at least one winning forecast.

Here is how it works: you post IN THIS TOPIC a top 5 list, with 5 contestants for that round that you think will be the last 5 survivors. In your list, You should only indicate which contestant is the #1 survivor; the other 4 survivors would be unranked. When the game results are in, we will see who has/have the best forecast(s). In case of a tie, each of the tied forecasts will be a winner.

For added incentive, perhaps we can even convince the moderators to grant you a special. For example, you would be known as "Survivor Champion" instead of "Senior Member."

The rules have been updated in the first post. The game starts NOW.

EVERYONE: I KNOW YOU ARE PARTIAL TO SOME KUNG FU IN THE AWESOME WUXIA UNIVERSE, SO START VOTING FOR THE BEST !!

Round 1: Survival of the best PALM STYLE -OR- INTERNAL ENERGY CULTIVATION METHOD

PALM
    Flaming Blade Palm (Huo Yan Dao) 10
    18 Dragon Subduing Palms 10
    Beach Blossom Luo Ying Shen Jian Zhang 11+
    Iron Sand Palm 10
    Sad Palm 10
    Xuan Ming Divine Palm 10
    Glacial Ice Palm (Han Bin Zhang) 10

INTERNAL ENERGY
    Yi Jin Jing 10
    Xiao Wu Xiang Gong 10
    Ba Huang Liu He Wei Wo Du Zun Gong (Everywhere I Reign Supremely) 9-
    9 Yin Zhen Jing 10
    Dragon Elephant Sutra (Long Xiang Bo Er Gong) 10
    9 Yang Shen Gong 10
    Sunflower Volumes (Kui Hua Bao Dian) 10
    Ode to Gallantry art 10
    Last edited by PJ; 04-05-06 at 09:40 PM.

Here is the first advertisement, for Eastern Heretic's unique Luo Ying Shen Jian Zhang. It is a set a palm stances derived a SWORD art! Huang Yaoshi, you are my idol.

There it is, short and sweet.

TommyH
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    The rules have been updated in the first post. The game starts NOW. EVERYONE: I KNOW YOU ARE PARTIAL TO SOME KUNG FU IN THE AWESOME WUXIA UNIVERSE, SO START VOTING FOR THE BEST !!

Round 1: Survival of the best PALM STYLE -OR- INTERNAL ENERGY CULTIVATION METHOD

PALM
    Flaming Blade Palm (Huo Yan Dao) 10
    18 Dragon Subduing Palms 10
    Beach Blossom Luo Ying Shen Jian Zhang 11+
    Iron Sand Palm 10
    Sad Palm 10
    Xuan Ming Divine Palm 10
    Glacial Ice Palm (Han Bin Zhang) 10

INTERNAL ENERGY
    Yi Jin Jing 10
    Xiao Wu Xiang Gong 10
    Ba Huang Liu He Wei Wo Du Zun Gong (Everywhere I Reign Supremely) 9-