Thread: Old 80s gambling tvb series>> God of Gamblers, do sun, do wong???

Default Old 80s gambling tvb series>> God of Gamblers, do sun, do wong???

Hi, I'm in search of the classic gambling series, not entirely sure what it was named. I use to watch this back in the 80s, it was a classic series of hongkong/chinese actors including Paul Chun Pui who played some parts. God of Gamblers (not the one wit chow yun fat) do sun, do wong.... etc. I really dont kno, can any1 help me out with locating this series. There was also another one with Simon Yam, I cant even look that one up.

If you guys kno, post please, thanks!

Are you sure it was a series and not movies??!! There were definitely loads of movies on gambling. God of Gamblers with Chow yun Fat and Andy Lau, then loads of sequels with Stephen Chow. Do Sing had Chun Pui in it I think.

Banned

yep , I think Sandy is about right on this , most of the one smentioned are movies not series .

the only notable series was of course the shell game 1 & 2 .

actually they should start making more , great theme IMV .

Default Shell Game & King of gamblers.

I think chiluncin was refering to Shell game 1 & 2

Simon Yam does appear in both series.

http://global.yesasia.com/b5/PrdDept...id-1000029940/

http://global.yesasia.com/b5/PrdDept...id-1001825124/

I abosultely agree that they should make more of those shows. Love it, still get goose bumps when I hear the theme song for shell game 1.

ATV did release a series in 1996 with a similar name (in Chinese) and quite a few famous actors. "King of gamlbers".

http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept...id-1001833483/
    Finally, the Rock has come back to Melbourne!

Quote Originally Posted by chiluncin
    Hi, I'm in search of the classic gambling series, not entirely sure what it was named. I use to watch this back in the 80s, it was a classic series of hongkong/chinese actors including Paul Chun Pui who played some parts. God of Gamblers (not the one wit chow yun fat) do sun, do wong.... etc. I really dont kno, can any1 help me out with locating this series. There was also another one with Simon Yam, I cant even look that one up.

If you guys kno, post please, thanks!
    i am pretty sure you are talking about the Shell Game I and Shell Game II. these two are my all-time favorites as they were the few first TVB series I watched as a kid. it's also the main reason why i started to love gambling at a young age.

the two main characters were Tse Yin (don't know English name) and Liza Wang Ming Chuen.

in the first series he played Loh Se Hoy and had magical eyes. his eyes were later poked out by a nemesis and became blind. she eventually married him. this was the one with Simon Yam as his deciple/student. for the longest time i idolized him and pretended to be blind too, walking around with a cane.

in Shell Game II, Tse Yin played a similar character whose name i don't recall. the difference is his magic was his right hand. he could turn any bad card into a good card by touch. his right arm was later chopped off by a nemesis due to a loss. she played his son's tutor turned wife. this also starred Chow Yun Fat as his deciple/student.
    krislai.blogspot.com

Tse Yin is Patrick Tse, Nic Tse's dad. I think Part 1 is so much better than part 2. But Lui Yau Wai in Part 2 really steals the show as the femme fatale.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

The first Shell Game was the best because it wasn't just gambling, it was more about how to con ppl but it they found a way to incorporate. The best scene was when Tse Yin and his enemy "Buk Chin Sau" meet at the stairs. Wow the music came in so perfectly and man Patrick Tse Yin was so damn cool.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Yes, as I recall it was in episode 5 or 6. Having seen this for a while, but I just remembered that first meeting at the stairs of the restaurant.

It was pretty cool.
    Finally, the Rock has come back to Melbourne!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by scorpioneyes
    i am pretty sure you are talking about the Shell Game I and Shell Game II. these two are my all-time favorites as they were the few first TVB series I watched as a kid. it's also the main reason why i started to love gambling at a young age.

the two main characters were Tse Yin (don't know English name) and Liza Wang Ming Chuen.

in the first series he played Loh Se Hoy and had magical eyes. his eyes were later poked out by a nemesis and became blind. she eventually married him. this was the one with Simon Yam as his deciple/student. for the longest time i idolized him and pretended to be blind too, walking around with a cane.

in Shell Game II, Tse Yin played a similar character whose name i don't recall. the difference is his magic was his right hand. he could turn any bad card into a good card by touch. his right arm was later chopped off by a nemesis due to a loss. she played his son's tutor turned wife. this also starred Chow Yun Fat as his deciple/student.
    youre a girl and you like gambling , mmm unusual .

In #2 , Sek Quin was Toh Yat siew , and the great villain was Chow Tai Chi ( Lau Siu Ming I believe ) .

did you like the gambling scenes ? great weren't they ?

Quote Originally Posted by rokko99
    youre a girl and you like gambling , mmm unusual .

In #2 , Sek Quin was Toh Yat siew , and the great villain was Chow Tai Chi ( Lau Siu Ming I believe ) .

did you like the gambling scenes ? great weren't they ?
    yeah, i'm a girl and i LOVE gambling.

Patrick Tse Yin was my hero when i was a kid. i used to pretend to walk around with a cane blindfolded; then somedays i would hide my right arm in my shirt to pretend i didn't have an arm like in #2.

i totally forgot about Sek Quin's character. i met him as a kid when he came to san francisco for a kung fu exhibition. he was a pretty good martial artist, ya know?

and yes, the gambling scenes were FANTASTIC!!! a touch of a card turning into an ace or a certain look would win the game. i was hooked on the whole shuffling-a-deck-of-cards-with-one-hand-thing. awesome! boy, i miss being a kid.

and who couldn't resist the love story between Patrick Tse and Liza Wang. and those songs! i'm listening to them now. boy, good times.
    krislai.blogspot.com

Banned

hehehe .

Pat Tse did quite a few kung fu scenes in SG2 , like when he was punching the heavy bag .

What about the scene when he went in to get his hand removed - really creepy . Thought that was very well filmed , really got across the message .

agreed. am i remembering it correctly: Patrick Tse's right hand/arm was in a trophy case?

i think one of the saddest scenes was when they had to vacate their mansion. boy, it's been nearly 20 years since i last saw it. my memory is eroding.
    krislai.blogspot.com

Banned

Yes it was . So were many of his victims .

Did you like the scene when he beat CYF fairly without the use of hypnosis ??

Wasnt it cool , the shock on CYFs face ??

Thats waht most people dont understand . He double deceived CYF .

He led him to believe he could only win by cheating but actually he was a good gambler in his own right . great moment .