Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Battlefield 《楚河漢界》 (1985)

Default The Battlefield 《楚河漢界》 (1985)

Has anyone seen The Battlefield, its a series made in the 1980s.

Here's a clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGFNdfExQC4

It stars Idy Chan, Sek Sau, Austin Wai, and I thought I saw Barbara Yung, Lawerence Ng, and Paul Chun. Looks good, I can't believe I haven't watched this one yet. What is it about? Do you recommend? How would you rate it?
    Last edited by triumph2004; 01-21-09 at 04:32 PM.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung

It stars Idy Chan, Sek Sau, Austin Wai, and I thought I saw Barbara Yung, Lawerence Ng, and Paul Chun. Looks good, I can't believe I haven't watched this one yet. What is it about? Do you recommend? How would you rate it?
    The conqueror's story is the remake of this. This series also talks about the chu-han war between liu bang and xiang yu. Sek sau is xiang yu and Lawrence Ng is liu bang. Idy is xiang yu's concubine. Good series to watch but don't exactly follow the historical records. I like Lawrence's role in this version better compared to Adam in the conqueror's story since the liu bang potrayed here is more scheming.

Not sure about babara...watched it over 20 years ago. But i prefer this version's theme song by Alan Tam over the new one ^^
    Last edited by slchan0; 04-06-06 at 10:13 PM.

Barbara Yung only appeared in the beginning.

Yeah, Lawrence Ng's portrayal of Liu Bang is very different from Adam Cheng's. In this version, he's really evil.

So despite being not quite accurate with history, is this series still worth watching? I mean would you actually go out and buy the DVD set to watch it?

What role does Austin Wai play?

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

If you're a fan of that period...yes...I am actually waiting for Astro to show it. Coz now conqueror's story is being shown and they also want to air Battlefield (both old and new).

Can you tell me what are some noticable inaccuracy with history? I'm not a chinese history buff so I don't know that much. Thanks!

the part I remembered is the way Xiang Yu died. In Battlefield, he actually took his own life alone beside the river. In Conqueror, he was actually misled by the pesants and got cornered and although he had a way to escape he choose to face LB's army and offered his own head to one of his former sergent to claim for the reward.

The other part is the final counterattack. in conqueror's story, XY got cornered into a valley where his last remaining troops managed to break through Hon Sun's troops surrounding them. This is the more accurate version. The battlefield version is that XY with 7 (not sure exact troop figure) of his remaining troops were setting up an ambush to get back at LB leading his army and killed hundreds of LB's troops scaring LB away since LB was the one leading the attack instead of HS.

Those are the 2 parts i remembered most since that was the first time i watch a series (in 80's) where u see less then 10 ppl massacred a whole army.

What role did Idy Chan play? Was it the same role that Mellissa Ng played in Conqueor's story?

What role did Idy Chan play? Was it the same role that Mellissa Ng played in Conqueor's story?
    Yep...the concubine of XY. Funny, I can't remember who played Hon Sun...probably didn't catch my interest as most of the story revolves around Lawrence and Sek Sau.

Here's the Theme of Battlefield...have a strong start which makes it more like a military/war theme.

http://rapidshare.de/files/17398738/...n_Tam.mp3.html
    Last edited by slchan0; 04-07-06 at 05:07 AM.

From the video clip I get the sense that LB likes XY's concubine but she only liked XY, but isnt LB suppose to be with his empress like in Conquer's story?

Did they change that too in this old adaptation?

Nah, LB likes YuGei, he and Lu Chi are just ambitious partners - don't think anything romantic is involved.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

So despite being not quite accurate with history, is this series still worth watching? I mean would you actually go out and buy the DVD set to watch it?

What role does Austin Wai play?
    Austin Wai plays Han Xin/Hon Sun.

TommyH
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis
    Nah, LB likes YuGei, he and Lu Chi are just ambitious partners - don't think anything romantic is involved.
    So they changed some parts in TCS around so LB didn't like Yue Gei?

Quote Originally Posted by TommyH
    So they changed some parts in TCS around so LB didn't like Yue Gei?
    Wah? There is no real evidence that LB liked YG. Ut is only in some adaptions that writers felt it was necessary to make LB lust after YG to make his hatred for HY stronger, and therefore have another reason to make LB the villian. TCS just didn;t choose to go down that path because LB liking YG was a lame storyline anyway.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Idy Chan acting very good in here.

I love Idy Chan in this series. She looks pretty.

Smile

Idy and Barbara looked beautiful in this story. The series was ok. Some parts were boring. I'm not as drawn to the talks about politics and find them a bit dry but necessary for the storyline. I actually liked the love triangle among Yu Gei (Idy), Hong Yu (Sek Sau), and Lau Bong (Lawrence). It gave me something interesting to watch, amidst all those political talks and struggles. I found the character Lu Chi annoying in this series. I understand that she loves Lau Bong very much, but it's just frustrating to see her follow him around when he does not even care one bit for her. I guess it's hard let go when she loves him very much, even when her love is not reciprocated. But I keep thinking that she would probably be better off being alone than being with someone whose heart is with another...

The costumes that Idy wore were absolutely gorgeous, and the melody that she played on the zither was beautiful.

The only downside is that I missed the part on how Yu Gei and Hong Yu met. Can anyone tell me how they met? I keep hearing about how she is angry with him for pretending to be some soldier, but I missed that part altogether.

I saw this series many times as I grew up and didn't really like it. It was not accurate to history and was really boring. It is worth watching once but not collecting in my opinion. Barbara was only a cameo in the very beginning and that was it.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Thanks for sharing...seeing this clip I know movies back then are valuable and memorable.

Default i love this series

like many of you, i found this series very boring at first. when i first became an Idy's fan, i only looked forward to her parts, & since she doesnt appear as much as i'd hoped, i fast forwarded the series a lot.

however, about 2 yrs ago, i started to rewatch to give it another chance, i totally fell in love with the series as a whole. despites the fact that it's not accurate to history, Battlefield is a wonderful series. the politics (when at first i found boring) are full of twists & turns. i found most the characters very smart in this arena. i enjoyed every political discussion they had. i also learned to appreciate all the personalities & changes in every character.

Lawrence did an excellent job as the jealous & scheming Luu Bang. Idy looks beautiful & so did Barbara. my favorite, of course, is Sek Sau. he looks very handsome & full of power, very charismatic.

give the series another try. u might end up loving it like i did.