Thread: Rival

Default Rival

This serie was released in 2002 and it stars Kim Jae Won, So Yu Jin, Kim Ming Jun, Kim Joo Hyuk, and etc.

I really liked this serie and its my favorite k-drama. I thought everything about it was well produced and the storyline was very interesting. It was very unique that they used golfing as the theme. The OST for the serie was awsome as well! I just loved all of the songs used and it really fit into the atmosphere and mood of the drama!

The artists all did such a good job with their characters! Very convincing in their protrayals. You've got to like them all in the end. Even though at times during the serie some characters may be annoying, at the end they grow on you. Somethign else I liked was the pairings. Hehe, I liked the final outcome a lot, but then during the serie there was this possibility for another pairing. Everyone just went well with each other

Hehe, but I loved Kim Jae Won and So Yu Jin in here!!! They were sooooooo sweet together I love their story, so fun and touching!!! It was dissapointing that they didn't develop a romance sooner! But once they did, it was even more touching! I just love how they start out as strangers and turn into really good friends! Very sweet One of my favorite scenes is when he is about to leave to fight those debters and he takes her out on a day of full fun. The two of them are sitting in the donuts place eating and talking. I think it was a song from Savage Garden that plays and she tells him that what would she do without him and tells him to never leave her. Notice the reaction he has! Very touching
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.koreanwiz.org/Rival_1.jpg')
    My favorite character in here has to be Kim Jae Won! You can really see how he matures throughout the serie and his development. The best thing about him is that he just wants the one he loves to be happy and that he wants to have a nice carefree life. Everything he does for So Yu Jin is really touching! Even sacrificing his life numerous times Hehe, KJW really shines in this serie! In the beginning he was quite humorous with that blond hair, but then once he is back with the black hair gelled back, he looks sooooo handsome! His end look of the plain farm boy is very cute! So boy next door

Hehe, hopefully most of you guys have seen this serie and love it as well!
    Yesterday's History,
    Tomorrow's a Mystery,
    Today's a Gift,
    That’s why we call it,
    The Present.

I Luv Kim Jae Won too. I haven't seen it, but I really, really desperately want too. Howeva, I can't seem to find it anywhere .

Hehe, glad to know your a KJW fan as well xAnax Oh, but you can't find this serie? That really stinks!! Its a really good serie for him, his character is really awsome! Lol, I've seen him in a few series before this, but after finishing the serie, I've declared it my favorite KJW serie and character

Lol, actually when it first released out at my rental store, I didn't even care for it much. Lol, but then read some comments and saw a picture of KJW in the serie so rented it. Really glad I did since its so good! Hope you can find it!
    Yesterday's History,
    Tomorrow's a Mystery,
    Today's a Gift,
    That’s why we call it,
    The Present.

I hope so too..hehe..I am currently watching his series Romance. And on a search for Rival and Land of Wine

Hehe, on a Kim Jae Won series marathon eh? Hehe, really hope you can find both of those series! What do you think of Romance so far? I quite like KJW and Kim Ha Nuel in there, but I wasn't too fond of the serie. Didn't like it as much as I wished. I'll just say that if you enjoyed that serie then you'll love Rival As for Land of Wine, I haven't rented that yet Maybe I should, hehe.

Plan to re-watch Rival again soon. I just love the serie! hehe, once you find it, we'll have more to talk about
    Yesterday's History,
    Tomorrow's a Mystery,
    Today's a Gift,
    That’s why we call it,
    The Present.

Yes! I am on a Marathon
    Well, I'm still on a search 4 it. I saw Land of wine but it chinese dub and I want to get Korean audio cuzz I just like their original voice better..hehe..Oh! Romance, it's pretty good I like the leads, especially KJW but I'm not too fond of the plot either. I mean age isn't a huge problem for me. But the fact that I think it's so wrong about the student teacher relationship. I think it's sick and disgusting . Anyhow, I watched up2 episode 6 last week or so, then stoped..lol..planning to continue probably tomorrow

ahhh!!! y is his hair blonde?

GOH,

Tell me Does KJW drive a yellow car in this drama? And is there any female character in this series that reads like mangas or something like that? I've been searching for that series because I saw it on TV a couple years ago and it came out around the time Autumn Tale was aired. So I don't know...because I was pretty new to k-drama back then and it was in raw korean too so I don't know what the title is.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Rival is airing on Singapore's CH U right now every Saturday for 2 hours straight, but too bad I can't catch it, I would love to see Soh Yu-jin and Kim Min-jung

I think Romance was a bit too over-rated. Storylinewise it choicing to do a teacher student romance was "different" but just didn't pull it off well for me. Thought the story was too draggy in that aspect and sometimes I felt both characters were too weak for my liking. Hehe, Rival is so much better More mature looking if you ask me.

No worries mini_mouse. At first the blonde hair bothered me too, but of course its different. Lol, his hair is only like that at the beginning which is only a few eps. Afterwards its back to black/brown and is quite cute looking!

Hey SS I don't think this is the serie that you are looking for then. Don't believe KJW drives too much in here and when he does, the car isn't yellow. Also none of the female leads reads mangas or anything like. If I figure out what serie this is though, will tell you. Hope you'll find it ^_^

Hehe, guess what everyone I just ordered the OST of this serie. Quite excited to get it! Yay!!!
    Yesterday's History,
    Tomorrow's a Mystery,
    Today's a Gift,
    That’s why we call it,
    The Present.

Rival has to be like one of my favorite korean dramas besides. full house, wuri's family.. and goong....... but i reallie like kim jae won's performance in this series.. the fact that he was part of like a mob and he would sacrfice himself for the girl.. this series.. made me become a kim jae won fan.. lol... soo after dat i became hooked on watching dramas w/ kim jar won... great series.. i bought the series.. soooo it im thinking to go on a marathon.. lol....
    currently watching: <3 hana Yori dango season 2
    <3 corner with love
    <3 hana-kimi
    <3 goong S

I totally agree with you ariesangel32690!!! Though bits and parts of the story is a little clique, but the overall storyline was quite cute and unique. It stands out on its own The cast also brought in more to the story. My "only" compliant is that there is some stuff in the story that was mentioned, but not focused upon. Such as Kim Jae Won's past/background. It mentioned that he used to be a boxer and was an orphan, but nothing else was said. I would have liked to know more on him

Haha, yeah I am currently converting this serie onto DVD so that I'll have a good quality version of it. So happy! Hehe, off to make covers and what not now. Hehe, if you start re-watching do tell me and I'll join you! Lol, I'll bring the popcorn!
    Yesterday's History,
    Tomorrow's a Mystery,
    Today's a Gift,
    That’s why we call it,
    The Present.

Hehe, aren't these such cute pictures?

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.sbs.co.kr/newimg/star/photo/543-5_20020722160520.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.sbs.co.kr/newimg/star/photo/550-7_20020910152443.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.sbs.co.kr/newimg/star/photo/549-2_20020902102633.jpg')

For more pics go here http://wizard.sbs.co.kr/template/wzd...5433&menuId=13

I just love the last picture. Think they both look so nice and mature and also you can feel the "tension" between them.
    Last edited by goddessofhonour; 09-01-06 at 10:22 PM.
    Yesterday's History,
    Tomorrow's a Mystery,
    Today's a Gift,
    That’s why we call it,
    The Present.

Quote Originally Posted by goddessofhonour
    I totally agree with you ariesangel32690!!! Though bits and parts of the story is a little clique, but the overall storyline was quite cute and unique. It stands out on its own The cast also brought in more to the story. My "only" compliant is that there is some stuff in the story that was mentioned, but not focused upon. Such as Kim Jae Won's past/background. It mentioned that he used to be a boxer and was an orphan, but nothing else was said. I would have liked to know more on him

Haha, yeah I am currently converting this serie onto DVD so that I'll have a good quality version of it. So happy! Hehe, off to make covers and what not now. Hehe, if you start re-watching do tell me and I'll join you! Lol, I'll bring the popcorn!
    yes definitely.. i wanted to know more about his past... it seemed like it was all about the gurls golf career and her issues.. kim jae won made this series worth watching.. hehe.. :O)
    currently watching: <3 hana Yori dango season 2
    <3 corner with love
    <3 hana-kimi
    <3 goong S

Exactly!!! Kim Jae Won really made this serie so good and he made the viewers feel for his character ^___^ He truely won my heart with how genuine he treated her and just how much he was willing to sacrifice to make her happy!

Gosh, even the idea of having the story sorta focus on golfing, it was barely really mentioned. Like we know that is the sport/theme in here, but most of the story seemed to be on the relationships and all that. Of course I don't mind that, but would have liked to see more with golfing.
    Yesterday's History,
    Tomorrow's a Mystery,
    Today's a Gift,
    That’s why we call it,
    The Present.

I agree KRW was great!

Somehow I also fancy the other guy - Director Min. He's so nice, but in the end goes with Caiyan who doesn't have any repercussions after so many evil deeds. How good is that? You done sorry things yet still ends up with the guy you want. Her fate was so much better than the SJY who had to go through so many hardships.

Hehe Nefertari, you mean KJW? But of course KRW is pretty cute too in his series. Lol, I always think of the other when one of these two artist is mentioned. Makes me think back to My Love Patzzi ^___^

Anyways though, as for Director Min. He didn't appeal to me too much, but there was some scenes where I really liked him. Such as when he and Kim Jae Won were talking and drinking together. This scene was before KJW was going to leave to do one more mission and he told Director Min that he had won and that he (KJW) has given up. As KJW was leaving, I just love how Director Min says "You love her so much, why give her up."

Then we have Caiyan...I don't think she was too bad. Not evil or anything like that, but surely bratty and quite spoiled. I think all along she was learning from her mistakes and she truely did mature by the end. Just seeing the friendship relationship she developed with KJW proves she isn't all that bad. Plus she did suffer from some problems with her hand and had to work and train to play golf again. So I guess that can be some kind of punishment.

Of all characters though, still think that KJW had the most pitiable role. He was an orphan with a sad past and somewhat of a blank future. He loved someone dearly and expressed himself, but wasn't ever able to get her heart until he "died."

Gosh I love this serie!!
    Yesterday's History,
    Tomorrow's a Mystery,
    Today's a Gift,
    That’s why we call it,
    The Present.

Hehe, I am probably going to attempt to make an MV for this serie soon. Got the soundtrack which is awsome and also the serie on DVD which will make things easier ^___^
    Yesterday's History,
    Tomorrow's a Mystery,
    Today's a Gift,
    That’s why we call it,
    The Present.

hi
    i really love Kim Jae Won too and have watched some of his dramas.
    I heard a lot of about Rival and wanna watch it, but I can't find any link download nor online.
    So can you show me where can I watch it? Tks a lot :X