Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rules Of Wulin: Who created them?

TommyH
    Unregistered

Default Rules Of Wulin: Who created them?

I started watching the 2006 version of ROCH and I really feel sympathy for YG and XLN. Why couldn't they marry? Is it because a relation between a Master and Student is forbidden? Who created this rule? What other rules are there? Who created them all?

Confucius and his admirers.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

confuscious is a bit lost and confused IMHO

Confucius has done a lot to make the Chinese society what it is today. Some of his beliefs may not be very good in our eyes, but they are part of what has kept our civilization ahead of the rest for all these years.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyH
    I started watching the 2006 version of ROCH and I really feel sympathy for YG and XLN. Why couldn't they marry? Is it because a relation between a Master and Student is forbidden? Who created this rule? What other rules are there? Who created them all?
    yah. honestly its more the "admirers" half thats responsible. Neo-confucianism, incorporating very strict rules, became BIG in Song dynasty.

But; the reason YG and XLN's relationship is problematic according to Confucianism is the following:

The most important concept in Confucianism is the 6 relationships:
    Ruler > Minister
    Father > Son
    Husband > Wife
    Elder Bro > Younger Bro
    Friend > Friend
    Teacher > Student

These relationships were seen as practically sacred, and strict adherence to whatever your role was was crucial for maintaining order in society. The ones on the left are superior to the ones on the right. Teacher is superior to student, husband superior to wife. But what if the teacher is also the wife?? (aaarggh, GJ cant take it! )

See the problem?

TommyH
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by danshu_
    yah. honestly its more the "admirers" half thats responsible. Neo-confucianism, incorporating very strict rules, became BIG in Song dynasty.

But; the reason YG and XLN's relationship is problematic according to Confucianism is the following:

The most important concept in Confucianism is the 6 relationships:
    Ruler > Minister
    Father > Son
    Husband > Wife
    Elder Bro > Younger Bro
    Friend > Friend
    Teacher > Student

These relationships were seen as practically sacred, and strict adherence to whatever your role was was crucial for maintaining order in society. The ones on the left are superior to the ones on the right. Teacher is superior to student, husband superior to wife. But what if the teacher is also the wife?? (aaarggh, GJ cant take it! )

See the problem?
    I just feel sad for YG and XLN. They loved each other but people just had to...!

I just feel sad for YG and XLN. They loved each other but people just had to...!
    in a sense JY copped out of exploring a REALLY controversial relationship, cause it really wasnt long before YG became on par and then better than XLN, a position he maintained thereon. So they never really had that strong teacher student relation. It was like in name only.

TommyH
    Unregistered

in a sense JY copped out of exploring a REALLY controversial relationship, cause it really wasnt long before YG became on par and then better than XLN, a position he maintained thereon. So they never really had that strong teacher student relation. It was like in name only.

i was just wondering...couldn't XLN say she don't want YG as a student anymore? then they could be together...

i was just wondering...couldn't XLN say she don't want YG as a student anymore? then they could be together...
    HYS suggested that YG become his student, then him and XLN could marry no problem (you'll see this scene later in ROCH 06 too). YG at first thought it was a good idea, but then later said wait a minute, who made this rule? I want her to be my master and wife!

But actually when they really hook up and are planning to marry, XLN refuses to see herself as YG's master; she pretty much does what your suggesting. Thats why I say JY made their rel. not as big a deal as he could've; except that one scene with GJ in the Heroes conference, it really doesnt cause that many problems.

Try seducing or dating your teacher in this day and age and see how far you can get before one is expelled and the other is fired or jailed.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    Try seducing or dating your teacher in this day and age and see how far you can get before one is expelled and the other is fired or jailed.
    in uni its ok

actually in the martial arts world its not too bad now; even some shaolin monks date there students ... but the teacher's always a man, so its not the same

if YG was XLN's master, then would it have been a problem?? I get the feeling its cause XLN was a girl; on top for the master bit, bottom for the wife bit.

Yang Guo was under 18 when all of that happened. Anyway, at uni, your lecturer/tutor/whatever would be fired.

if YG was XLN's master, then would it have been a problem??
    Then he would be like her father. Still a problem.

Note: personally I think it's stupid. Hot teachers FTW.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

The difference is: Today student-teacher relationships last a few years, while in wuxia student-teacher relationships last a life time.

Today, Yang Guo would be able to marry Dragon Girl as soon as he "graduated"

I know a girl who is younger than me. She started dating our high school teacher when she graduated from high school. Now they're getting ready to marry.

TommyH
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    The difference is: Today student-teacher relationships last a few years, while in wuxia student-teacher relationships last a life time.

Today, Yang Guo would be able to marry Dragon Girl as soon as he "graduated"

I know a girl who is younger than me. She started dating our high school teacher when she graduated from high school. Now they're getting ready to marry.
    Ehh I feel sad for YG and XLN. They loved eachother so much but yet they still couldn't be together .

Ehh I feel sad for YG and XLN. They loved eachother so much but yet they still couldn't be together .
    yes they could! and did. Do you know the end of the story?

TommyH
    Unregistered

yes they could! and did. Do you know the end of the story?
    well i do know but they had to wait 16 years!

well i do know but they had to wait 16 years!
    only cause of Guo Fu's stupidity. Even then, she was just stuck in that valley waiting; it didnt have to be 16 years, he couldve reunited with her in a week

TommyH
    Unregistered

only cause of Guo Fu's stupidity. Even then, she was just stuck in that valley waiting; it didnt have to be 16 years, he couldve reunited with her in a week
    but they were still separated! but not because of these rules though lol!

but they were still separated! but not because of these rules though lol!
    I think YG's luckier than most when it comes to relationships. Finding your true love, such an intense relationship, and getting together at 36? He doesnt have much to complain about.

I think YG's luckier than most when it comes to relationships. Finding your true love, such an intense relationship, and getting together at 36? He doesnt have much to complain about.
    I would rather kill myself if I need to live 36 years without finding/being with my true love.

THE HORROR