Thread: Most embarrassing entry by a powerful expert

Default Most embarrassing entry by a powerful expert

Which powerful experts thoroughly embarrassed himself when he first appeared in the novel?

Here are 2:

Ding Chunqiu - the guy had been hyped all throughout DGSD. He was mentioned many times, and each time people pretty much feared him. But what does he do when he first shows up? Yep, get his a$$ kicked by Quan Guanqing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Murong Fu - I believe the first time he really shows up was in the chess game, in which he almost committed suicide out of fire deviation.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

it wasnt exactly his first entrance, but in his first real fight, the martial arts philosophy spouting Old Man Sun from XLFD pretty much got owned by the badass Shangguan Jinhong

GLFW. There wasn't much hype about him though. He got shown up by GJ (only readers were aware) and YG then took advantage of mute state.

MRF is one huge disaster, he walks into one defeat after another. He was only impressive against the 72 caves and 36 islands. But then again relied on DY to save WYY.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    Ding Chunqiu - the guy had been hyped all throughout DGSD. He was mentioned many times, and each time people pretty much feared him. But what does he do when he first shows up? Yep, get his a$$ kicked by Quan Guanqing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Really? I had no idea Ding Chun Chou was that bad and Cheun Gwoon Ching was that good.

In DGSD '82, Ding Chun Chou was one of the better sub-Elites, and Cheun Gwoon Ching was never better than mediocre.

Ding Chunqiu set foot in the Central Plains (1st time in a long time) to subdue the Beggar's Clan. When he got there, Quan Guanqing had monstrous snakes waiting for him. Eventually Ding Chunqiu got wrapped by by a huge snake, and was rendered useless. The Beggars actually could have wiped out Xing Su clan that time, but Quan Guanqing made the mistake to touch an object poisoned by Ding Chunqiu. After he got poisoned, Quan got scared and ran away. Even thought the enemies were gone, Ding Chunqiu was still being held by the snake helplessly. The snakes were starting to bite into the Xingsu disciples. If You Tanzhi did not show up to help, that day might have been the last day of Xingsu Clan's existence.

Ding Chunqiu set foot in the Central Plains (1st time in a long time) to subdue the Beggar's Clan. When he got there, Quan Guanqing had monstrous snakes waiting for him. Eventually Ding Chunqiu got wrapped by by a huge snake, and was rendered useless. The Beggars actually could have wiped out Xing Su clan that time, but Quan Guanqing made the mistake to touch an object poisoned by Ding Chunqiu. After he got poisoned, Quan got scared and ran away. Even thought the enemies were gone, Ding Chunqiu was still being held by the snake helplessly. The snakes were starting to bite into the Xingsu disciples. If You Tanzhi did not show up to help, that day might have been the last day of Xingsu Clan's existence.
    Beggars using huge snakes as weapons. Well, there goes my image of the Beggar's Union as a "good guy" organization...

It's ironic to see a Beggar's Union Chief ripping a page out of West Poison Au Yeung Fung's playbook...especially a century before Au Yeung Fung himself was even born.

Help me remember Ken: in DGSD 1982, was the Beggar's Clan never associated with snakes? I seem to recall that they were actually famous for using snakes.

In the novel it is indeed hinted that snakes and other poisonous insects were a great asset to the Beggar's Clan. They probably used it in combat quite often.

There was also an elder who specialized in some kind of poisonous creature in a sack. That creature bit Bao Butong and it hurt!

By the way, Quan Guanqing controlled the snakes by playing a iron flute.

Help me remember Ken: in DGSD 1982, was the Beggar's Clan never associated with snakes? I seem to recall that they were actually famous for using snakes.
    Not in DGSD '82. For that matter, not in the 80s adaptations of LOCH, ROCH, or HSDS either. The Beggar's Union was always portrayed as being "above" using poisons, and tended to look down on those who did (i.e. Au Yeung Fung, Fok Do, etc.).

There was also an elder who specialized in some kind of poisonous creature in a sack. That creature bit Bao Butong and it hurt!
    I remember that guy. I guess the Beggar's Union did use some poisonous creatures after all, but not snakes in any of the adaptations.

My vote goes to Dongfang Bubai. Throughout the entire novel, we hear of Dongfang Bubai as the undisputed number one fighter in the world and Chief of the Demon Clan. You get the image of a fearsome, formidable, super villain. Then, when he finally appears ... well, everyone knows what Dongfang Bubai turned out to be.
    明月心跳起來,又回頭,嫣然道,“你還要不要我帶上那面具?”
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    I remember that guy. I guess the Beggar's Union did use some poisonous creatures after all, but not snakes in any of the adaptations.
    Adaptations again =/

In HSDS it specifically mentions that the beggars raised snakes (for attack and food).

Then, when he finally appears ... well, everyone knows what Dongfang Bubai turned out to be.
    A different kind of embarrassment.

But he did kick everyone's a$$.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse
    Adaptations again =/

In HSDS it specifically mentions that the beggars raised snakes (for attack and food).
    Same in LOCH, and Hong Qigong was the one who mentioned it to GJ and HR.

A different kind of embarrassment.

But he did kick everyone's a$$.
    Which made it the most awesome first appearance. Readers go from one state of shock to another.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

Quan Guanqing does not trap Ding Chunqiu anymore in the third edition.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Quote Originally Posted by Athena
    Quan Guanqing does not trap Ding Chunqiu anymore in the third edition.
    That's good. I always thought that it was a lame scene.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."