Thread: Favourite Lines From Wuxia

Default Favourite Lines From Wuxia

Wuxia fiction is full of classic dialogue. This thread is for everyone to post up their favourite lines from wuxia novels. You can post original chinese, or a translated version. Actually, some lines become instant comedic classics only after being translated into english. In this light, one of my favourites is from Wubbles' translation of The Legendary Siblings:

Xiao Yu’er shouted at him: “I don’t care what you meant. Today I am not your match. Even if you farted I’d have to pay attention. But, if ever I gain the upper hand, I swear I will slaughter some women in cold blood for your viewing pleasure.”

Even post up your favourite lines from TV series

Since you are already here, why not come out and have a cup of wine?

A scholar says: "We should all be bookworms, study hard, and be accomplished scholars."

Third Master Xie Xiaofeng asked: "So, if you knew you would die today, what would be your last wish?"

Scholar replied: "Well, I would want to read all the classics, and recite all the great poems....."

Xie Xiaofeng dashed forward and put a knife on the scholar's neck: "Tell the truth. What would you really wish you would do before you die?"

In a panic, the scholar confessed: "Ahh. Yes, I lied. I would want to go to a *****house, screw all the women, and lose my virginity. In fact, all my life, I wanted to be a pimp."

The scholar's pupil was shocked to hear this. She said: "Teacher, you can;'t be serious!"

"Yes, that's really what I want! What's the use of studying? I am going whoring now."

Xie Xiaofeng chuckled helplessly: "This is what life is all about. You want to do something, but you are not going to do it, because you care about how you will be viewed in other people's eyes."
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

haha. I remember that scene from the old Shaw Brothers Sword of the 3rd Young Master. Then he went on to question the chaste maiden, etc. it was great

Quote Originally Posted by danshu_
    haha. I remember that scene from the old Shaw Brothers Sword of the 3rd Young Master. Then he went on to question the chaste maiden, etc. it was great

Yep, that was the one
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

"As long as the two of you haven't changed your mind, I won't go back on what I promised to do." Fu Hongxuet said.

"What did you promise?" Mingyue Xin asked.

"To bring the two of you to Peacock Manor." Fu Hongxuet replied.

Mingyue Xin's eyes lit up as she exclaimed, "We're leaving right this moment?"

"We're leaving right this moment." Fu Hongxuet said.

Mingyue Xin sprang to her feet, turned to him and said alluringly, "Do you still want me to put on this mask?"

Fu Hongxuet replied coldly, "Isn't there already a mask on your face?"
    明月心跳起來,又回頭,嫣然道,“你還要不要我帶上那面具?”
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

It seems like when it comes to classic one-liners Gu Long takes the cake. His novels are full of them. I dont have an example on hand, but I'm thinking of all the "Lu Xiaofeng really is Lu Xiaofeng", "Li Xunhuan really is Li Xunhuan" type moments. He's got some dramatic and hardbiting dialogues, like what Bliss posted above.

One of my all-time favourite scenes, a great tranlsation by Meh of XLFD:

At this moment, the beam of sword light flew out.

The sword, in a flash, entered ShangGuan Fei's throat.

The sword tip penetrated seventy percent of the neck.

ShangGuan Fei seemingly still has his breath. Veins appeared on his forehead. His eyeballs about to burst out, staring at Jin WuMing.

Even in death, he couldn't believe how Jin WuMing's sword came out.

Jin WuMing looked at him coldly, and said, "My right hand is even faster than my left hand. This is my secret!"

Another quote from Sentimental Swordsman Ruthless Sword:

Xin Hu looked at that pale white face, not knowing what to say.

Ah Fei didn’t even look at them, only walked towards Li Xun Huan, then he immediately smiled.

Li Xun Huan also smiled.

Xin Hu’s voice is still weak, “Why don’t you two come to my...”

Ah Fei cut him off, “Is Li Xun Huan the Plum Flower Bandit?”

Xin Hu said, “No.”

“Am I the Plum Flower Bandit?”

“No.”

Ah Fei said, “If we’re both not, then we can go now, right?”

Xin Hu forced a smiled. “Of course, but I think perhaps you should rest up here....”

Ah Fei cut him off again. “Don’t worry about that. Forget that I can actually walk out, even if I have to crawl out, I’d still crawl down the mountain this instant.”

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    A scholar says: "We should all be bookworms, study hard, and be accomplished scholars."

Third Master Xie Xiaofeng asked: "So, if you knew you would die today, what would be your last wish?"

Scholar replied: "Well, I would want to read all the classics, and recite all the great poems....."

Xie Xiaofeng dashed forward and put a knife on the scholar's neck: "Tell the truth. What would you really wish you would do before you die?"

In a panic, the scholar confessed: "Ahh. Yes, I lied. I would want to go to a *****house, screw all the women, and lose my virginity. In fact, all my life, I wanted to be a pimp."

The scholar's pupil was shocked to hear this. She said: "Teacher, you can;'t be serious!"

"Yes, that's really what I want! What's the use of studying? I am going whoring now."

Xie Xiaofeng chuckled helplessly: "This is what life is all about. You want to do something, but you are not going to do it, because you care about how you will be viewed in other people's eyes."
    haha that's hilarious.

I like this excerpt from Xiao Shiyi Lang book 2, translated by RR at wuxia mania

The following occurs when Feng ShiNiang was taking a bath.

Suddenly a sound of crashing could be heard, the window, the door, and the wooden walls had been simutaneously broken leaving 7 big holes

Feng Shi Niang only smiled.

Two years ago she took a bath here, the same event also happened, why did history always have to repeat itself ?

And it was the same two years ago when she laid down comfortably inside the bath tub, lightly wiping her hands together with the silk handkerchief.

But now her complexion had actually changed, she felt really strange.

Right now men were peeping at her taking a bath, but unexpectedly they were all blind men!

Seven very big holes, then seven blind men walked inside, pitch black long hair, pitch black clothing, each of their eyes were all also left with two pair of shiny black holes,
    each left hand was carrying a white walking stick and each right hand was holding a fan.

The seven men encircled Feng ShiNiang, who was taking a bath inside the wooden bath tub, all seven men looked pale, all seven had pale faces, all entirely without facial expressions.

Feng ShiNiang laughed : "Even blind men came to watch me taking a bath, my charm must have not been little."

The seven men were not only blind, but also appeared to be mute.

After a very long pause, then suddenly only a person said : "You don't have any clothes on ?"

Feng ShiNiang laughed, and said: "Do you take a bath with your clothes on ?"

The blind man said : "Good, we will wait for you to put your clothes back on."

Feng ShiNiang said : "Since you already cannot see me, why should I put my clothes back on ?"

Her eyes drifted, she sighed again : "It is really a pity for you all, I am really such an attractive woman taking a bath, you unexpectedly cannot see, this is really a regrettable matter."

The blind man coldly said : "It is not regrettable."

Feng ShiNiang answered: "Not regrettable ?"

The blind man said: "A Blind man are also human, although a blind man cannot see, a blind man can feel, not only a blind man call feel, but a blind man can do many other things."

What he just said was actually an obscene speech but his facial expression was extremely serious.

Because what he said was the truth.

Feng ShiNiang suddenly felt colder, she was aware of this type of people, but decided to persuade the matter by speaking further.

The blind man said again : "Therefore you better be serious, we ask you to put your clothes on, you better put them on immediately."

Feng ShiNiang replied: "You want me to do what ?"

The blind man said : "We want you to follow and walk with us."

Feng ShiNiang asked: "I have eyes, instead you want to follow a person without eyes ?"

The blind man answered : "Correct."

Feng ShiNiang asked : "Regardless of where you are going, I have to follow you to wherever you are going ?"

Feng ShiNiang asked : "If you fall into a pit full of shi-t, I still have to follow you jump inside."

- WuxiaSociety.org (formerly known as wuxiamania forum) -

----- the society of global wuxia fans ----

My five favorites are:

1. The exchange between Sai Mun Chui Sheut and Yip Goo Sing before their duel.

2. The conversation that Luk Siu Fung had with Yip Goo Sing at the Buddhist monastery where Yip was hiding out.

3. The conversation that Luk Siu Fung had with Sai Mun Chui Sheut to restore Sai Mun's confidence before the duel.

4. Gwok Jing's discussion with a dying Genghis Khan at the end of LOCH.

5. Gwok Jing's discussion with Kublai Khan at the latter's base camp outside Seung Yeung Fortress in ROCH.

Lu XiaoFeng walked over, took a deep breath in the Spring breeze coming from the East, and smiled: "If you want to get rid of a girl, the best way to do it is to make her tummy ache. Any man that goes out often should know at least 3 different ways of making a girl's tummy hurt."

"I always knew you were quite smart," Hua ManLou casually replied, "but only today did I realize that you are not a good man at all."

"Why?"

"You knew what kind of woman she is, why did you still have to expose her for what she is back there?"

"Because I never liked people who fake their feelings."

"But she can't not fake her feelings, she has to survive. How could she continue to live in this kind of place if she gets real feelings for everyone?"

With a smile on his face, Hua ManLou continued: "You are a great friend, very loyal, maybe almost good enough to be called a knight-errant, but you have a huge flaw."

All Lu XiaoFeng could do was listen.

Hua ManLou contined: "In this world, there are a lot of people that are very evil and despicable. But sometimes they couldn't help but do what they did, sometimes they are forced to do it. You biggest flaw is that you have never thought things out from their perspective."

Lu XiaoFeng stared at him. Stared at him for a long time. Only then did he gently sighed and said: "Sometimes, I really don't like being with you."

"Oh?"

"Because I always figured that I'm not that bad of a guy, but when compared to you, I'm almost an as$hole."

Hua ManLou smiled: "As long as a person knows that he's an as$hole, there's still hope for him."

"I'm an as$hole! A 'Grade A' as$hole! You won't find another as$hole like me in a crowd of a million!"
    Last edited by kidd; 04-12-06 at 12:46 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩