Thread: Martial Artist vs Music Composers

Default Martial Artist vs Music Composers

Just a thought. Do you think the way martial artist create their martial arts is similar to composers creating their music. The notes in music represents the punch, kicks, smash...etc

Yep. Martial ARTs is an art just like music, literature, and painting. They are all a form of expression
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Here's some quotes from an article/interview with donnie yen:

"For me," insists Yen, "the ultimate skill is creative movement. If your foundation is precise and based on traditional skills, then you should work to be able to free-form your movements for any situation." For a jazz master, the practice of free-form, improvised music represents the highest form of music. But the ability to play at this level, demands diligent practice of the basics and an ability and willingness to enter the uncharted zone of creativity.

Martial Arts Jazz

On the topic of rhythm in martial arts, Yen was especially vocal. He explained, "Building a basic rhythm and finding your own rhythm represents the highest level of martial arts skill. Most martial artists focus too much on trying to imitate robotic movements that are supposed to be effective training tools for conditioning and combat if they adhere to the theory of a given style. I often disagree with this approach for an advanced martial artist. As much as I love classic martial arts theory, most of which is very valuable to fighters, building high levels of skill demand versatility and an ability to improvise like a Jazz musician or actor. Being able to move in and out of styles, movements, and rhythms with ease is the highest skill."

The Jazz metaphor aptly describes Yen’s martial arts ability. Some of his recent movie fight scenes reveal an astounding ability to improvise without requiring much choreography. Yen’s first large-scale project as an action director and one of his biggest screen roles as a leading man was in the Hong Kong TV series remake of Bruce Lee’s, The Chinese Connection. Yen’s work in this popular TV series was full of creative martial arts performances that featured a number of improvised, free-flow fight scenes. "For certain scenes, I told the actor or stunt person to just keep-up and don’t stop until I do. Then I would find an internal rhythm, like a musician or modern dancer, and just express myself - always keeping it explosive and continuous with a controlled fury."

Crossing Cultures in Martial Arts

Whether he knows it or not, Yen may be the only martial artist today that easily bridges the gap between numerous martial styles and the diverse cultures that interpret them. "I’ve never limited my expression," explains Yen. "My mom taught anybody who came to her school, so early on I was exposed to a variety of cultures and martial arts." Indeed, Yen has found expression as a pianist, break dancer, and martial artist. Chinese culture, American urban culture, and traditional martial culture comprise his unique and powerful approach to martial arts. "Hey, if a technique proved effective for fighting or looked amazing in performance, I’d master it. Over time I had a lot to work with and I now feel comfortable in almost any martial art realm," he added.

I think the South Hengshan Sect (not the nuns) incorporated music into their martial arts, especially their swordplay.

Both Mo Da and Liu Zhengfeng. Mo Da carries a Hu Qin with it, with a thin sword stored in it.
    ..ext88

Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88
    I think the South Hengshan Sect (not the nuns) incorporated music into their martial arts, especially their swordplay.

Both Mo Da and Liu Zhengfeng. Mo Da carries a Hu Qin with it, with a thin sword stored in it.
    of course Huang Yaoshi is famous for music in martial arts

and the zither brother in plum manor in XAJH

didn't OYF plays a zither too?

Qu Yang, one of the elders pf the Sun Moon Sect is also a music enthusiast. Both Liu Zhengfeng and him created the Xiao Ao Jiang Hu musicscore.
    ..ext88

Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88
    Qu Yang, one of the elders pf the Sun Moon Sect is also a music enthusiast. Both Liu Zhengfeng and him created the Xiao Ao Jiang Hu musicscore.
    but in XAJH, most of the music, like the XAJH score, was separate and irreconcilable from martial arts and the wulin/jianghu

Quote Originally Posted by danshu_
    but in XAJH, most of the music, like the XAJH score, was separate and irreconcilable from martial arts and the wulin/jianghu
    Ya, the XAJH score were just purely music.
    ..ext88

Default Throwing Michelin Stars

From what I've read of Jin Yong, he does seem to portray the art of fighting as one among many arts, such that comparisons between them are fluid and move both ways. There's even a bit in LOCH where he compares martial arts to cooking: Hong Qigong at one point regards the flavours in Huang Rong's food as being "like the multifarious and inexhaustible variations produced by a great martial artist". Personally, I thought that was a bit indulgent on Jin Yong's part, and shows how his conception of martial arts looks rather academic alongside the brutal reality of modern MMA stuff like UFC or Pride. Or perhaps he was just thinking of food that 'fights back', like Japanese puffer-fish.

Quote Originally Posted by owbjhx
    From what I've read of Jin Yong, he does seem to portray the art of fighting as one among many arts, such that comparisons between them are fluid and move both ways. There's even a bit in LOCH where he compares martial arts to cooking: Hong Qigong at one point regards the flavours in Huang Rong's food as being "like the multifarious and inexhaustible variations produced by a great martial artist". Personally, I thought that was a bit indulgent on Jin Yong's part, and shows how his conception of martial arts looks rather academic alongside the brutal reality of modern MMA stuff like UFC or Pride. Or perhaps he was just thinking of food that 'fights back', like Japanese puffer-fish.
    JY's conception of martial arts is based on traditional chinese martial arts discourses however.

The topic is: Martial Artist vs Music Composers

With all these x vs y topics, It sounds like you want to know who would win in a fight
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

Shooting a white deer, snow flutters around the skies;
    Smiling, [one] writes about the divine chivalrous one, leaning against bluish lovebirds
    this is a peom that ni kuang 'found' by taking the first character from the tittle of each of jin yong's 14 novels. through jin yong claims he did not mean to make a poem in his novels tittles.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/