Thread: New Wuxia RGP game (Discusion only)

  1. #3461
    Senior Member patricia n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    somewhere on earth
    Posts
    4,280

    Default

    i am finally caught up!!!!!!!!!

    with the new complaints regarding the structure of this rpg and unrealistic historical setting and "plain boring" dialogue, i have to say that i enjoy what we have here. we came a long way from rpg 1 and no one here expected any player to write like jy or be fully consistent with his historical text as we also incorporated bits and pieces of gu long's works in this fic.

    this is after all a wuxia forum and we chose to use the asian wuxia setting which most of us are familiar with (jy/gl). had we wrote about a wuxia world where european knights exist or if most players are of non-asian decent in an asian wuxia rpg then i would have been greatly put off. part of the reason i chose to join this rpg and not a caucasian fantasy rpg is because i enjoy the traditional asian values which are greatly different from the caucasians. star wars is the closest thing the caucasians have to wuxia but even then...as much as i enjoy watching the movie it does not give me the same vibe as when i watch asian costume series.

    none of us expected any of us to be professional writers...the reason for this rpg is for us players to explore each other's creativity and work alongside one another. no one asked to have his style be put down or criticized. of course we can always improve but this fic is our outlet to enjoy ourselves...to have fun...it's not suppose to be another literature/english/history class so there's little need to criticize anyone's style and imagination if the person's post does not go against the rules of the game and if no one asked for it.



    As he was leaving the room, his ADC asked, "What about Huang Ah Liu and Ban Meihua? One is carrying your child while the other is your daughter. Where shall we leave them during our grand attack?"

    Shen Mo's eyes narrowed. He bent his head down to his ADC and said sternly, "I am not the father. They are my martial brother's children. And leave my family matters to me."

    omg...how is it possible that ai liu doesn't even know her child's father? she claimed the fetus belonged to shen mo and now the audience learns that the baby belongs to his martial brother. i knew she was promiscuous but this is beyond sick!

    excelsior-don't worry...i am actually supportive of murphy's law for your char. :

    now i'm just waiting for an appropriate opening to continue with the current timeline, and of course i will update my booked segments.
    Last edited by patricia n; 08-08-06 at 12:00 AM.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

  2. #3462
    TommyH
    Unregistered

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by patricia n
    i am finally caught up!!!!!!!!!

    with the new complaints regarding the structure of this rpg and unrealistic historical setting and "plain boring" dialogue, i have to say that i enjoy what we have here. we came a long way from rpg 1 and no one here expected any player to write like jy or be fully consistent with his historical text as we also incorporated bits and pieces of gu long's works in this fic.

    this is after all a wuxia forum and we chose to use the asian wuxia setting which most of us are familiar with (jy/gl). had we wrote about a wuxia world where european knights exist or if most players are of non-asian decent in an asian wuxia rpg then i would have been greatly put off. part of the reason i chose to join this rpg and not a caucasian fantasy rpg is because i enjoy the traditional asian values which are greatly different from the caucasians. star wars is the closest thing the caucasians have to wuxia but even then...as much as i enjoy watching the movie it does not give me the same vibe as when i watch asian costume series.

    none of us expected any of us to be professional writers...the reason for this rpg is for us players to explore each other's creativity and work alongside one another. no one asked to have his style be put down or criticized. of course we can always improve but this fic is our outlet to enjoy ourselves...to have fun...it's not suppose to be another literature/english/history class so there's little need to criticize anyone's style and imagination if the person's post does not go against the rules of the game and if no one asked for it.





    omg...how is it possible that ai liu doesn't even know her child's father? she claimed the fetus belonged to shen mo and now the audience learns that the baby belongs to his martial brother. i knew she was promiscuous but this is beyond sick!

    excelsior-don't worry...i am actually supportive of murphy's law for your char. :evil2:

    now i'm just waiting for an appropriate opening to continue with the current timeline, and of course i will update my booked segments.
    Wow...well said...

    Maybe I should copy and paste it in the 3rd game's thread.

  3. #3463
    Banned strife_au's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    It's either I win or you lose
    Posts
    4,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TommyH
    Wow...well said...

    Maybe I should copy and paste it in the 3rd game's thread.
    I'll copy it for the 'Master of all Wuxia fantasy RPG v1.6 game'



  4. #3464
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    583

    Default

    In post #832, I've left a big clue (pardon the pun) for some of you who wants to continue the post, before I can. So if anyone has the desire to (Allen, Pat or Extreme) please do so. This should add a little more twist to the story. Hehehe

  5. #3465
    Senior Member Allen D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    919

    Default

    hey. so far, what are the most memorable moments for you guys?
    Formerly DuGu Qiu Bai

  6. #3466
    Senior Member MysteriouX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Empyrean Realm
    Posts
    1,247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by patricia n
    i am finally caught up!!!!!!!!!

    with the new complaints regarding the structure of this rpg and unrealistic historical setting and "plain boring" dialogue, i have to say that i enjoy what we have here. we came a long way from rpg 1 and no one here expected any player to write like jy or be fully consistent with his historical text as we also incorporated bits and pieces of gu long's works in this fic.

    this is after all a wuxia forum and we chose to use the asian wuxia setting which most of us are familiar with (jy/gl). had we wrote about a wuxia world where european knights exist or if most players are of non-asian decent in an asian wuxia rpg then i would have been greatly put off. part of the reason i chose to join this rpg and not a caucasian fantasy rpg is because i enjoy the traditional asian values which are greatly different from the caucasians. star wars is the closest thing the caucasians have to wuxia but even then...as much as i enjoy watching the movie it does not give me the same vibe as when i watch asian costume series.

    none of us expected any of us to be professional writers...the reason for this rpg is for us players to explore each other's creativity and work alongside one another. no one asked to have his style be put down or criticized. of course we can always improve but this fic is our outlet to enjoy ourselves...to have fun...it's not suppose to be another literature/english/history class so there's little need to criticize anyone's style and imagination if the person's post does not go against the rules of the game and if no one asked for it.
    I never said unrealistic history. I said some people are disregarding history or that some of the players are only vaguely familiar with the history. And 'plain boring dialogues' wasnt refering to you. The person I am refering to knows who he is. But if you feel threatened by it, then by basic psychology 'a person's reaction to a particular part of a statement reflects that person's reality'.

    I understand but you have to remember, if we chose an all ASIAN setting, how many players will we have. Currently we seem to have only 6 or so players. We do not have that much diversity. Playing this RPG helps in some ways because several of the players do research into real history and try to base their parts on it.

    And how many times do I have to repeat myself that the idea I am currently presenting is something that we can all work together to adapt/modify. I first discussed with some others for the third RPG using either several years from no to the Qing Dynasty or to go back to the Warring States period. But which ever was chosen, there is still the basic historical information we have to follow. But as I stated with a new world, nearly anything can happen or be used, and it allows us to broaden our horizons.

    Just because I opted to include other cultures and civilizations does not mean we have to be them. And with some european, african, american cultural settings we can attract more players. Currently most of our players are only familiar with asian settings so while we can stick to it other/new players can be more familiar with other settings and they can bring in a breath of fresh air and we can learn from each other. I wager that nearly half the members on SPCNET are not even asian. While asians do seem to dominate these forums, there are non-asian members and we should try attracting them.

    When you guys started this RPG, there seemed to be more players then there is now. Currently we seem to have a lot of missing players and our progress is slowing down. And we do not have a lot of diversity. And most of our ideas seem to be following each other around. WE are starting to lack some originality.

    And do remember that during the time of Ganghis Kahn or Kublai Khan's rule of china, europeans and westerners did travel to China.

    As for traditional Asian values, I see no difference in them with most western counterparts. During the middle ages in europe, they had chivalry and other values much similar to what asians had in the same time period. But they also valued somewhat more in life then Asians. Lets see, Ganghis Khan slaughtered millions, the chinese belived that their emperors were descended from gods and that they were all right, even when emperors and officials were corrupted the people did nothing. While in England at the time the king was forced to sign the Magna Carta. The greeks had the first republic. Both european and asian societies at the time honored bravery, loyalty, chivalry. Europeans enslaved african natives. Asians exported and smuggled people, some of which had to sell themselves into forced labor to pay of their debts. Burma Laos and part of Thailand are called the Golden Triangle and its one of the largest suppliers of drugs.

    And now lets see modern events.

    The Chicoms or Chinks or the so called People's republic of china violates human rights, as some other asian countries. The governments are corrupted, the people are suffering. In north Korea and Burma a mobile phone is considered a luxury item and few people can afford it (where the price of each sim card ranges in the area of 5000 USD worth of their money in Burma, while in North Korea only the officials can own one). I once lived for a few years in an asian country where the police of that country did nothing to stop crimes, took bribes and the court of law decided in favour of the side which bribed him the most. The PRC prosecutes religion practioners, and even used extreme force against the common people (Tianaman Square). In WWII, both Hitler and Japanese forces had concentration camps where they killed millions. Hitler and his men were prosecuted (Nuremburg Trials) by the western authorities and due to the work of 1 european citizen, under the United Nations article 'Genocide became classified as a Crime Against Humanity'.

    In the Army doctrine of mainland china, in contrast to the Republic of China's doctrine, since the PRC has more then 1billion in population, they consider that their people to be expandable in times of war meaning they will sacrifice as many lives necessary.

    While in the West, they have a mostly democratic form of government where officials are of the people, elected by the people, for the people. Sure they have some corruption, but those corruptions are also punished, even more so then what goes on in certain Asian countries today. As for social and family values. Both cultures still mostly have a tight family bond, but also certain liberties too. However both also have some problems but that isnt a majority. Social values, both have good things and bad.

    I remember several years ago in the US there was an article about a boy in a small town who had cancer and lost all his hair to radiation therepy. And all his friends asked their parents to shave their heads so that this particular boy would not be alone hairless in school.


    So in then end, what ideals we value depends upon the individual and not ethnic race, gender, nationality, or even region. You are of course entitled to your beliefs and opinions.

    But I've seen a lot of things that can either make you lose any hope in life or make your blood boil (and most of the sufferings I've seen are in Asia). I'm half asian and half westerner, my parents were diplomats who travelled the world I've lived in nearly every continent on the globe. Every few years I would move to another country and change schools again but I have always been lucky enough to attend International Schools. I've learned to value that multi-ethnic/cultural diversity schools are more productive then mono-cultural schools where nearly everyone (99%) shares the same nationality and even live/grew-up in the same city. Yes great are the asian traditional values that allows parents to drop their infant daughter down a well or drown her just because she wasnt born a son.


    Oh and technically, you may consider Star Wars to be the closest to Wuxia, but its Sci-Fi. IF you really wanted something close to Wuxia, then Le Morte d'Arthur by Sir Thomas Malory is closer to the Wuxia genre. So is some of the stories in the Cantabury Tales or some of the novels by Alexandre Dumas such as 'Comte de Monte Cristo' or 'Les Trois Mousquetaires'.
    Last edited by MysteriouX; 08-08-06 at 05:02 AM.

  7. #3467
    Banned strife_au's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    It's either I win or you lose
    Posts
    4,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MysteriouX
    I never said unrealistic history. I said some people are disregarding history or that some of the players are only vaguely familiar with the history. And 'plain boring dialogues' wasnt refering to you. The person I am refering to knows who he is. But if you feel threatened by it, then by basic psychology 'a person's reaction to a particular part of a statement reflects that person's reality'.

    I understand but you have to remember, if we chose an all ASIAN setting, how many players will we have. Currently we seem to have only 6 or so players. We do not have that much diversity. Playing this RPG helps in some ways because several of the players do research into real history and try to base their parts on it.

    And how many times do I have to repeat myself that the idea I am currently presenting is something that we can all work together to adapt/modify. I first discussed with some others for the third RPG using either several years from no to the Qing Dynasty or to go back to the Warring States period. But which ever was chosen, there is still the basic historical information we have to follow. But as I stated with a new world, nearly anything can happen or be used, and it allows us to broaden our horizons.

    Just because I opted to include other cultures and civilizations does not mean we have to be them. And with some european, african, american cultural settings we can attract more players. Currently most of our players are only familiar with asian settings so while we can stick to it other/new players can be more familiar with other settings and they can bring in a breath of fresh air and we can learn from each other. I wager that nearly half the members on SPCNET are not even asian. While asians do seem to dominate these forums, there are non-asian members and we should try attracting them.

    When you guys started this RPG, there seemed to be more players then there is now. Currently we seem to have a lot of missing players and our progress is slowing down. And we do not have a lot of diversity. And most of our ideas seem to be following each other around. WE are starting to lack some originality.

    And do remember that during the time of Ganghis Kahn or Kublai Khan's rule of china, europeans and westerners did travel to China.

    As for traditional Asian values, I see no difference in them with most western counterparts. During the middle ages in europe, they had chivalry and other values much similar to what asians had in the same time period. But they also valued somewhat more in life then Asians. Lets see, Ganghis Khan slaughtered millions, the chinese belived that their emperors were descended from gods and that they were all right, even when emperors and officials were corrupted the people did nothing. While in England at the time the king was forced to sign the Magna Carta. The greeks had the first republic. Both european and asian societies at the time honored bravery, loyalty, chivalry. Europeans enslaved african natives. Asians exported and smuggled people, some of which had to sell themselves into forced labor to pay of their debts. Burma Laos and part of Thailand are called the Golden Triangle and its one of the largest suppliers of drugs.

    And now lets see modern events.

    The Chicoms or Chinks or the so called People's republic of china violates human rights, as some other asian countries. The governments are corrupted, the people are suffering. In north Korea and Burma a mobile phone is considered a luxury item and few people can afford it (where the price of each sim card ranges in the area of 5000 USD worth of their money in Burma, while in North Korea only the officials can own one). I once lived for a few years in an asian country where the police of that country did nothing to stop crimes, took bribes and the court of law decided in favour of the side which bribed him the most. The PRC prosecutes religion practioners, and even used extreme force against the common people (Tianaman Square). In WWII, both Hitler and Japanese forces had concentration camps where they killed millions. Hitler and his men were prosecuted (Nuremburg Trials) by the western authorities and due to the work of 1 european citizen, under the United Nations article 'Genocide became classified as a Crime Against Humanity'.

    In the Army doctrine of mainland china, in contrast to the Republic of China's doctrine, since the PRC has more then 1billion in population, they consider that their people to be expandable in times of war meaning they will sacrifice as many lives necessary.

    While in the West, they have a mostly democratic form of government where officials are of the people, elected by the people, for the people. Sure they have some corruption, but those corruptions are also punished, even more so then what goes on in certain Asian countries today. As for social and family values. Both cultures still mostly have a tight family bond, but also certain liberties too. However both also have some problems but that isnt a majority. Social values, both have good things and bad.

    I remember several years ago in the US there was an article about a boy in a small town who had cancer and lost all his hair to radiation therepy. And all his friends asked their parents to shave their heads so that this particular boy would not be alone hairless in school.


    So in then end, what ideals we value depends upon the individual and not ethnic race, gender, nationality, or even region. You are of course entitled to your beliefs and opinions.

    But I've seen a lot of things that can either make you lose any hope in life or make your blood boil (and most of the sufferings I've seen are in Asia). I'm half asian and half westerner, my parents were diplomats who travelled the world I've lived in nearly every continent on the globe. Every few years I would move to another country and change schools again but I have always been lucky enough to attend International Schools. I've learned to value that multi-ethnic/cultural diversity schools are more productive then mono-cultural schools where nearly everyone (99%) shares the same nationality and even live/grew-up in the same city. Yes great are the asian traditional values that allows parents to drop their infant daughter down a well or drown her just because she wasnt born a son.


    Oh and technically, you may consider Star Wars to be the closest to Wuxia, but its Sci-Fi. IF you really wanted something close to Wuxia, then Le Morte d'Arthur by Sir Thomas Malory is closer to the Wuxia genre. So is some of the stories in the Cantabury Tales or some of the novels by Alexandre Dumas such as 'Comte de Monte Cristo' or 'Les Trois Mousquetaires'.

    nicely written

  8. #3468
    Senior Member MysteriouX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Empyrean Realm
    Posts
    1,247

    Default

    Sorry I get carried away with some of my posts. I didnt mean to insult anyone but if you've seen the stuff I've witnessed then you'd also get emotional. How can mankind be so cruel to eachother?

  9. #3469
    Senior Member Phoenix_Aquaris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MysteriouX
    I never said unrealistic history. I said some people are disregarding history or that some of the players are only vaguely familiar with the history. And 'plain boring dialogues' wasnt refering to you. The person I am refering to knows who he is. But if you feel threatened by it, then by basic psychology 'a person's reaction to a particular part of a statement reflects that person's reality'.
    This is a Role Playing GAME. We wanted to test out the journeys of Chinese pugilists for fun, not for the sake of showcasing our extensive knowledge of ancient China. Although rpg players do put in effort into their writing, they do make mistakes where culture and history is concerned. Still, like what Pat said, this is an outlet for us to enjoy ourselves, we are not going to write our own personal culture which we may be good at in order to prevent making mistakes. Do give us some credit.

    And how many times do I have to repeat myself that the idea I am currently presenting is something that we can all work together to adapt/modify. I first discussed with some others for the third RPG using either several years from no to the Qing Dynasty or to go back to the Warring States period. But which ever was chosen, there is still the basic historical information we have to follow. But as I stated with a new world, nearly anything can happen or be used, and it allows us to broaden our horizons.
    Do you know why people loved reading wuxia so much? Take me for example, JY's wuxia stories are like a new world. There is no need to "broaden our horizons" by introducing people from various cultures. There is no limit to people's imagination.

    Jy resolved to create new characters with new personalities everytime he started writing a new novel, as stated in his foreword. Diversity isn't all about different cultures, something which you should know of course. New characters can be interesting enough.

    Besides, if you criticised the writers' dialogue, there will be no point in presenting new cultures. Seeing a westerner in the world of wuxia wouldn't make a reader go "Cool! There's a westerner in wuxia!" It's pretty much how you present it.

    Currently most of our players are only familiar with asian settings so while we can stick to it other/new players can be more familiar with other settings and they can bring in a breath of fresh air and we can learn from each other.
    I don't behave like ancient warriors nor do I practise their culture. To me, and a lot of other rpg writers, wuxia settings bring in this fresh air you are talking about. Wuxia settings is not the same as asian settings. Besides, do you really think our rpg players are mainly asians???

    We are not that familiar with asian settings, thank you very much. We wanted to try out how the wuxia world is like through writing. And in the case we made a mistake, the other players can guide us through.

    I wager that nearly half the members on SPCNET are not even asian. While asians do seem to dominate these forums, there are non-asian members and we should try attracting them.
    Sorry. While we do want to attract players, there is no reason to modify certain things in such a way we began to dislike. There was a particularly horrible DOMD translation by this westerner who changed the names of the characters like WXB into Trinket and Ah Ke into Green. The purpose of this was to make DOMD more adaptable to westerners out there. Unfortunately, it pretty much spoiled the novel. We want to attract people with the same interests with us, this make the rpg more fun as we do not have to accomodate one another too much.

    And we do not have a lot of diversity. And most of our ideas seem to be following each other around. WE are starting to lack some originality.
    Again, diversity does not equate to having people from different culture. I can have a foreigner by the name of John who behaves almost like Shen Mo, and would you say that I have originality then. Originality is not confined to the boundaries of cultures. If we are poor writers, no matter how many new things we introduced into this rpg, nothing will change.

    And do remember that during the time of Ganghis Kahn or Kublai Khan's rule of china, europeans and westerners did travel to China.
    Redundant post. We know about this of course. Just because we know it doesn't mean we have to follow it, as you wisely said it is "entitled to our personal opinions".

    As for traditional Asian values, I see no difference in them with most western counterparts. During the middle ages in europe, they had chivalry and other values much similar to what asians had in the same time period. But they also valued somewhat more in life then Asians. Lets see, Ganghis Khan slaughtered millions, the chinese belived that their emperors were descended from gods and that they were all right, even when emperors and officials were corrupted the people did nothing. While in England at the time the king was forced to sign the Magna Carta. The greeks had the first republic. Both european and asian societies at the time honored bravery, loyalty, chivalry. Europeans enslaved african natives. Asians exported and smuggled people, some of which had to sell themselves into forced labor to pay of their debts. Burma Laos and part of Thailand are called the Golden Triangle and its one of the largest suppliers of drugs.

    And now lets see modern events.

    The Chicoms or Chinks or the so called People's republic of china violates human rights, as some other asian countries. The governments are corrupted, the people are suffering. In north Korea and Burma a mobile phone is considered a luxury item and few people can afford it (where the price of each sim card ranges in the area of 5000 USD worth of their money in Burma, while in North Korea only the officials can own one). I once lived for a few years in an asian country where the police of that country did nothing to stop crimes, took bribes and the court of law decided in favour of the side which bribed him the most. The PRC prosecutes religion practioners, and even used extreme force against the common people (Tianaman Square). In WWII, both Hitler and Japanese forces had concentration camps where they killed millions. Hitler and his men were prosecuted (Nuremburg Trials) by the western authorities and due to the work of 1 european citizen, under the United Nations article 'Genocide became classified as a Crime Against Humanity'.

    In the Army doctrine of mainland china, in contrast to the Republic of China's doctrine, since the PRC has more then 1billion in population, they consider that their people to be expandable in times of war meaning they will sacrifice as many lives necessary.

    While in the West, they have a mostly democratic form of government where officials are of the people, elected by the people, for the people. Sure they have some corruption, but those corruptions are also punished, even more so then what goes on in certain Asian countries today. As for social and family values. Both cultures still mostly have a tight family bond, but also certain liberties too. However both also have some problems but that isnt a majority. Social values, both have good things and bad.

    I remember several years ago in the US there was an article about a boy in a small town who had cancer and lost all his hair to radiation therepy. And all his friends asked their parents to shave their heads so that this particular boy would not be alone hairless in school.
    All redundant. We are not comparing Western values with Chinese ones and pick the better out of them and start writing them in our stories.

    There's a reason why this particular part of SPCNet forum is called the wuxia forum, the post-ers who frequent this forum likes to know and share information about the way things happened in wuxia. Patricia liked the ancient Chinese traditional values, she did not condemn the way westerners do, or find them incomparable to the Eastern values. Something you yourself know in the following quote:

    So in then end, what ideals we value depends upon the individual and not ethnic race, gender, nationality, or even region. You are of course entitled to your beliefs and opinions.
    This quote pretty much summarises everything, and has provided an answer to your words. You know that there are non-Asians in this forum, not to even mention in this rpg. We have a common interest- wuxia, and so this rpg is produced to present our journeys in the perspective of Chinese.

    But I've seen a lot of things that can either make you lose any hope in life or make your blood boil. I'm have asian and half westerner, my parents were diplomats who travelled the world I've lived in nearly every continent on the globe. And most of the schools I attended were International Schools where the mixture of the students were whose parents were also diplomats or politicians. I've learned to value that multi-ethnic/cultural diversity schools are more productive then mono-cultural schools where nearly everyone (99%) shares the same nationality and even live/grew-up in the same city.
    Redundant post.

    What does more diversity in schools got to do with the rpg? More productivity?

  10. #3470
    Senior Member Phoenix_Aquaris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MysteriouX
    Sorry I get carried away with some of my posts. I didnt mean to insult anyone but if you've seen the stuff I've witnessed then you'd also get emotional. How can mankind be so cruel to eachother?
    Nothing wrong with all those things you have seen or experienced, except that you are deviating. However, you might have to apologise for criticising others' works as though we barely put in any effort or something. I don't think those you said were [b]major[/i] flaws, look pretty harmless to me. I can find more flaws, but this is just for fun, and I don't expect to see an A class novel because there are many writers clashing with each others' writings and a poor contributor like me

    And MysteriouX, we rpg players admire the 'xia' in wuxia, not the values and the beliefs the Chinese held when they did their massacre on protesting students in Tiananmen Square.
    Last edited by Phoenix_Aquaris; 08-08-06 at 05:55 AM.

  11. #3471
    Senior Member MysteriouX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Empyrean Realm
    Posts
    1,247

    Default

    Ok lets stop being serious and lets start to have fun. For the third rpg, come on people generate some ideas and post them. We still have 2 game months to discuss this. I really wanna see a well planned thought out game setting and rules before we start it. And I wanna see more people participating. Try to take out all the negative aspects we had in the first 2 games and lets improve the third one to be better one.

    My 3 options are.

    1> Another world like I proposed but everything completely influenced from Wuxia
    2> A sequel to Game #2 set several years later
    3> End our current game (no sequels or prequels) and start a different story lets say set during the Warring States Period

    What are your sugestions or ideas?

    And we also need some way to attract more players to the game so we can have more fun and be diverse.

    However if you people can humor me, let's use the intro I wrote as the prologue of our third game. And for the third game, for those people who have a hard time with trying to figure out the geography or locations of the places mentioned we can sorta make a map or a list. Same goes for the name of skills, stances, etc, we can have a list of direct english translations so that for non-chinese speakers they can understand what something like 6MSJ means. For example: Does it translate to 6 Palms of Death? Killing in 6 Steps? etc.
    Last edited by MysteriouX; 08-08-06 at 07:10 AM.

  12. #3472
    Senior Member MysteriouX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Empyrean Realm
    Posts
    1,247

    Default

    I just had another brainstorming idea.

    Why not place the setting in the Present Day. (Remember the movies like Underworld or Blade or Highlander where those societies were like underground societies and the general public wasnt aware of it) well why not put wulin in the modern era as a hidden mysterious way of life. And each of our characters who lead normal lives in the eye of the general public but also lead secret double lives in the hidden wulin order.

    For this I am envisioning the main evil person to be someone who calls himself (e.g. The Eastern Apocalypse) with four main subordinates (like the four horsemen of the apocalypse in the bible, but of course no supernatural stuff in the game) and he is, secretly unknown to anyone else, the real reason why the world has so much strife and trouble (such as the conflicts in the Middle East and Africa, the famine and diseases in Asia, etc) and making profits of these conflicts and strifes.

    A good thing about this is that you can use what you are in real life as sort of a character development program. For example someone like Patricia (I don't know what she is in real life) but for the sake of arguement, her character in the game could be someone who lived in Australia named Patricia Chang, a 16 year old highschool girl who lives with her family. Her grandparents came to Australia to escape the revolution in China and her family practices martial arts. Unknown to her she is descended from lets say ZWJ and ZM, but her grandfather has kept the life of Wulin away from her (as her father wants to live in the modern era and not get involved with Wulin, much to the conflict between her father and grandfather). Till 1 day she finds out and gets involved with the matters of Wulin.
    Last edited by MysteriouX; 08-08-06 at 08:11 AM.

  13. #3473
    Senior Member MysteriouX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Empyrean Realm
    Posts
    1,247

    Default

    Oh another thing, I think it would be nice to have a section (if possible) separate from other threads for the game.

    We need 3 main threads in the section.

    1> Discussion Thread (where we discuss stuff but we have to act responsibly for this thread so it doesn't get all clustered and jumbled up)

    2> Game Thread with Game Number (I think in the first page of the game thread we need a summary post which is being constantly updated (with what has happened in the game so far) so new players won't have to spend a lot of time reading through all the game posts and can join the game quickly. Allowing them to read the previous game posts on their own time.) Of course we need to have the game rules and regulations too.

    3> Reference/Index/Glossary Thread (only for character profiles, item/location profiles and any other thing that can be useful as reference) so players don't have to try and remember everything or search through the other threads.
    Last edited by MysteriouX; 08-08-06 at 07:55 AM.

  14. #3474
    Banned strife_au's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    It's either I win or you lose
    Posts
    4,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MysteriouX
    I just had another brainstorming idea.

    Why not place the setting in the Present Day. (Remember the movies like Underworld or Blade or Highlander where those societies were like underground societies and the general public wasnt aware of it) well why not put wulin in the modern era as a hidden mysterious way of life. And each of our characters who lead normal lives in the eye of the general public but also lead secret double lives in the hidden wulin order.

    For this I am envisioning the main evil person to be someone who calls himself (e.g. The Eastern Apocalypse) with four main subordinates (like the four horsemen of the apocalypse in the bible, but of course no supernatural stuff in the game) and he is, secretly unknown to anyone else, the real reason why the world has so much strife and trouble (such as the conflicts in the Middle East and Africa, the famine and diseases in Asia, etc) and making profits of these conflicts and strifes.

    A good thing about this is that you can use what you are in real life as sort of a character development program. For example someone like Patricia (I don't know what she is in real life) but for the sake of arguement, her character in the game could be someone who lived in Australia named Patricia Chang, a 16 year old highschool girl who lives with her family. Her grandparents came to Australia to escape the revolution in China and her family practices martial arts. Unknown to her she is descended from lets say ZWJ and ZM, but her grandfather has kept the life of Wulin away from her (as her father wants to live in the modern era and not get involved with Wulin, much to the conflict between her father and grandfather). Till 1 day she finds out and gets involved with the matters of Wulin.
    That would probably turn away many people in actually wanting to participate for many, wuxia is ancient styled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix_Aquaris
    This is a Role Playing GAME. We wanted to test out the journeys of Chinese pugilists for fun, not for the sake of showcasing our extensive knowledge of ancient China. Although rpg players do put in effort into their writing, they do make mistakes where culture and history is concerned. Still, like what Pat said, this is an outlet for us to enjoy ourselves, we are not going to write our own personal culture which we may be good at in order to prevent making mistakes. Do give us some credit.


    Do you know why people loved reading wuxia so much? Take me for example, JY's wuxia stories are like a new world. There is no need to "broaden our horizons" by introducing people from various cultures. There is no limit to people's imagination.

    Jy resolved to create new characters with new personalities everytime he started writing a new novel, as stated in his foreword. Diversity isn't all about different cultures, something which you should know of course. New characters can be interesting enough.

    Besides, if you criticised the writers' dialogue, there will be no point in presenting new cultures. Seeing a westerner in the world of wuxia wouldn't make a reader go "Cool! There's a westerner in wuxia!" It's pretty much how you present it.


    I don't behave like ancient warriors nor do I practise their culture. To me, and a lot of other rpg writers, wuxia settings bring in this fresh air you are talking about. Wuxia settings is not the same as asian settings. Besides, do you really think our rpg players are mainly asians???

    We are not that familiar with asian settings, thank you very much. We wanted to try out how the wuxia world is like through writing. And in the case we made a mistake, the other players can guide us through.


    Sorry. While we do want to attract players, there is no reason to modify certain things in such a way we began to dislike. There was a particularly horrible DOMD translation by this westerner who changed the names of the characters like WXB into Trinket and Ah Ke into Green. The purpose of this was to make DOMD more adaptable to westerners out there. Unfortunately, it pretty much spoiled the novel. We want to attract people with the same interests with us, this make the rpg more fun as we do not have to accomodate one another too much.


    Again, diversity does not equate to having people from different culture. I can have a foreigner by the name of John who behaves almost like Shen Mo, and would you say that I have originality then. Originality is not confined to the boundaries of cultures. If we are poor writers, no matter how many new things we introduced into this rpg, nothing will change.


    Redundant post. We know about this of course. Just because we know it doesn't mean we have to follow it, as you wisely said it is "entitled to our personal opinions".


    All redundant. We are not comparing Western values with Chinese ones and pick the better out of them and start writing them in our stories.

    There's a reason why this particular part of SPCNet forum is called the wuxia forum, the post-ers who frequent this forum likes to know and share information about the way things happened in wuxia. Patricia liked the ancient Chinese traditional values, she did not condemn the way westerners do, or find them incomparable to the Eastern values. Something you yourself know in the following quote:


    This quote pretty much summarises everything, and has provided an answer to your words. You know that there are non-Asians in this forum, not to even mention in this rpg. We have a common interest- wuxia, and so this rpg is produced to present our journeys in the perspective of Chinese.


    Redundant post.

    What does more diversity in schools got to do with the rpg? More productivity?
    well written

  15. #3475
    Senior Member Phoenix_Aquaris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    658

    Default

    MysteriouX, join the rpg at WhiteCrucifix. Details ask Guo Xiang, SPCNET poster, what you want is a pretty much organised rpg where everything is planned beforehand. However, do take note that they might not accept your idea though.

    1> Another world like I proposed but everything completely influenced from Wuxia
    2> A sequel to Game #2 set several years later
    3> End our current game (no sequels or prequels) and start a different story lets say set during the Warring States Period
    1) That might attract people who have the same interest as you, people who are not entirely into the wuxia culture.
    2) See how this rpg ends first, however, new players might find it difficult to play because they knew nothing of the current one.
    3) Warring States is way too early. If you complain about vague historical content in players' segments, expect worse from the new rpg players. Almost 80% of the players' segment will contradict history.

    And we also need some way to attract more players to the game so we can have more fun and be diverse.
    Given the above, you will get few people wanting to join in the rpg. They do not cater to all people, unlike the rpg we are playing now. Messy it may be, but there are barely any restrictions to it.

    PS. 6MSJ stands for the 6 Meridians Swords.

    PS2. can we not talk about the rpg 3 too early? let us just focus on the current one first. A new rpg doesn't start immediately as you want it to. You must wait for some response, and some discussion should take place between the players until everyone agrees and gets the idea of what to do without breaking the rules or offending others unintentionally.

  16. #3476
    Senior Member Phoenix_Aquaris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strife_au
    That would probably turn away many people in actually wanting to participate for many, wuxia is ancient styled.
    I don't know about that. Sounds interesting. But yeah, it will turn away people who wants to be in a full wuxia rpg. That rpg of yours sounds creative.

    But note: A rpg is played by many players. You can make a super-ultra interesting plot in your opinion, but others might not like it. And in the end, you will be the only one enjoying it. A rpg always involves discussion and accomodation.

    And the Reference Thread thingy. The Wuxia forum is made up of many other wuxia threads too, I think two threads are enough, or else other post-ers might complain.

  17. #3477
    Senior Member MysteriouX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Empyrean Realm
    Posts
    1,247

    Default

    I just hope that when we start asking ideas for the next RPG, I don't see something like

    "Oh I'm not good with making ideas, I'll let you guys make one and I will just join and play along." or anything that bears a remote similarity.

    Or even worse, make an excuse that you are too busy with school and such and you don't have time to think up an idea.

    Because IF I do see someone posting that kind, mark my words...

    I'd rather see people who have the guts and bravery to take the initiative and fail then see a person who just sits back while others do the work.

    Hmph, in my opinion you will all just use msn or yahoo or gmail to discuss your ideas and submit 1 which you and have combined instead of each individual proposing some ideas and everyone openly discussing or critizing as you are doing to the ideas I proposed.

    Hmm I even wonder if you people even take the time to weigh the pros and cons of my proposals CAREFULLY. OR how about giving me 'the benefit of a doubt'. Seems you just log in, read then instantly write a response without even considering the matter carefully. Some of your negatives comments are reasonable but I still take some time to consider all your words carefully.
    Last edited by MysteriouX; 08-08-06 at 10:24 AM.

  18. #3478
    Senior Member MysteriouX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Empyrean Realm
    Posts
    1,247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix_Aquaris
    And the Reference Thread thingy. The Wuxia forum is made up of many other wuxia threads too, I think two threads are enough, or else other post-ers might complain.
    DID I EVEN SAY A REFERENCE TO OTHER WUXIA, I said a reference for the game. Otherwise you saw how hard it was for you to try to search again for the profiles of your chars and other information.

  19. #3479
    Senior Member Phoenix_Aquaris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MysteriouX
    DID I EVEN SAY A REFERENCE TO OTHER WUXIA, I said a reference for the game. Otherwise you saw how hard it was for you to try to search again for the profiles of your chars and other information.
    I understand what you mean, but trust me the reference thread will get removed very quickly, as there will ALWAYS be new wuxia discussion. I sort of think these two rpg threads occupied quite a lot of space in the forum. And if you were to bump the thread, Ken's face will not look too good.

    I understand that it was pretty difficult to search for information. So this time, the person who is going to start the rpg thread MUST be a consistent player. In the first few posts he/she will put in a character profile page for constant updates. The reference should be a post, not a thread.

    EDIT: We do discuss about the rpg sometimes on msn though. Maybe you might want a "regular" meeting among the rpg players or something. Haha
    Last edited by Phoenix_Aquaris; 08-08-06 at 10:24 AM.

  20. #3480
    Senior Member MysteriouX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Empyrean Realm
    Posts
    1,247

    Default

    But in the end we will have a long list of names (not person names) items weapons and such that are not of JY or GL wuxia, but made up by the players and as the story goes on, it will just get confusing.

    And we do need english versions of certain names, maybe placed in brackets next to the english spelling of the chinese word. For example : 6MSJ (6 meridian sword). Especially when we have all these names of martial arts styles such as 18 something, or 9 ying or yang and then it all gets confusing.

    we should have a constantly updated post where it goes

    18 something (18 Dragon Subdueing Palms)
    9 Ying ..... (9 Ying Style) and so on.

    Why we need this??

    Because sometimes the name of the martial arts style or movement is supposed to indicate how the move is executed or where it aims. And if a reader cant see it because he cant understand what the name means how can he visualize it in his head. Especially since I can't read chinese, not even when its spelled using english alphabets, I dont understand what it means.
    Last edited by MysteriouX; 08-08-06 at 10:34 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Create Your Own Wuxia Character! Game #2
    By TommyH in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 1161
    Last Post: 07-17-11, 06:50 AM
  2. Create Your Own Wuxia Character! Game #4
    By Tom in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 614
    Last Post: 10-30-07, 08:00 PM
  3. Wuxia Game #4 Characters storeroom
    By Son of Light in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-05-07, 07:21 AM
  4. Wuxia Storywriting Game
    By LuNaR in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 04-25-07, 01:48 AM
  5. Create Your Own Wuxia Character! Game
    By TommyH in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 516
    Last Post: 04-13-06, 06:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •