Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Mythical Crane Magic Needle '92

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    In terms of deserving Ma Kwan Mo >>>>>>>>> Fong Siu Nam.

Ma Kwan Mo at least is an honorable guy, who is nice to everyone and didn't make empty promises that he couldn't keep. Fong Siu Nam is prejudice, narrow-minded and and didn't keep his promise.

Ma Kwan Mo slept with So Fei Fung while he was poisoned, barely conscious and don't know what he was doing. Fong Siu Nam made love to Mui Gong Suet while fully conscious, awake and aware, when he knows the one he loves is Chan Yuen Seung .

Now, that's one unworthy man. I really don't know what Gong Suet saw in him.

Note: Fong Siu Nam is main guy in 'The Snow is Red'.
    Ma Kwan Mo is not as uptight about social pressure as Fong Siu Nam was. Ma Kwan Mo still treated Bak Wan Fei and Nam Hoi Ping, the "so-called baddies", with respect and judged them according to their character, and not what society viewed them as. Ma Kwan Mo slept with So Fei Fung not knowing what he was doing, though reluctantly was willing to take responsibility and marry her. He was in fact a pretty righteous guy.

Fong Siu Nam is just a hypocrite. He preaches being righteous and stuff, but he slept with a girl without making any commitments or taking responsibility, and betrayed the one he loved by sleeping with her sister. He is also judgmental about Gong Suet's origins as well. He is just lucky that no one found out that he slept with Gong Suet and got her pregnant. Both Lip Siu Fung and Law Yuan would be after his blood if they found out.

I think the miscarriage is the best thing that could have happened to Gong Suet because it took away any last ties she could have in this pathetic man. I feel sorry for Yuan Sheung because she is stuck with him. I believe Gong Suet likes FSN because he is different to the other men that she usually sees.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Yes, it was good because it freed Gong Suet to find a new man and a new future with her father at her side. A perfect recipe for new adventures and a new hero to enter her life (and with her dad there, he better be a worthy match). I don't think Yuen Sheung would be too disappointed with Siu Nam, though - she's the insecure, clingy type, and Siu Nam is good enough in terms of the attention he will give her. She's not looking for a real man of quality, just someone who will love her, and in that respect Siu Nam should be (better be, or dad and sis will come back with a vengeance) a good match for her. I was personally very satisfied with how Snow is Red ended (at least with regard to Siu Nam, Gong Suet and Yuen Sheung).

I WAS rather surprised with how Crane ended, though - I really thought Ma Kwan Mo would end up with So Fei Fung at the end - the entire storyline seemed to indicate that way, and her fate seemed to be inextricably linked to his with all the tropes involving the two characters (from the way they met, to the way she thought he killed her father, to the sleeping together...). Strawberry, on the other hand, had death flags hanging all over her head for much of the series, and it was a genuine surprise that she not only didn't die, but got the man at the end. I suppose she was destined to win if she didn't die since Ma really loved her, but she was the perfect plot character to die and break the hero so the heroine could comfort the hero and build a relationship from there.. or maybe I've been watching too much Smiling Proud Wanderer and Linked Cities...

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    Ma Kwan Mo is not as uptight about social pressure as Fong Siu Nam was. Ma Kwan Mo still treated Bak Wan Fei and Nam Hoi Ping, the "so-called baddies", with respect and judged them according to their character, and not what society viewed them as. Ma Kwan Mo slept with So Fei Fung not knowing what he was doing, though reluctantly was willing to take responsibility and marry her. He was in fact a pretty righteous guy.

Fong Siu Nam is just a hypocrite. He preaches being righteous and stuff, but he slept with a girl without making any commitments or taking responsibility, and betrayed the one he loved by sleeping with her sister. He is also judgmental about Gong Suet's origins as well. He is just lucky that no one found out that he slept with Gong Suet and got her pregnant. Both Lip Siu Fung and Law Yuan would be after his blood if they found out.

I think the miscarriage is the best thing that could have happened to Gong Suet because it took away any last ties she could have in this pathetic man. I feel sorry for Yuan Sheung because she is stuck with him. I believe Gong Suet likes FSN because he is different to the other men that she usually sees.
    Last edited by Ian Liew; 07-07-15 at 01:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Yes, it was good because it freed Gong Suet to find a new man and a new future with her father at her side. A perfect recipe for new adventures and a new hero to enter her life (and with her dad there, he better be a worthy match). I don't think Yuen Sheung would be too disappointed with Siu Nam, though - she's the insecure, clingy type, and Siu Nam is good enough in terms of the attention he will give her. She's not looking for a real man of quality, just someone who will love her, and in that respect Siu Nam should be (better be, or dad and sis will come back with a vengeance) a good match for her. I was personally very satisfied with how Snow is Red ended (at least with regard to Siu Nam, Gong Suet and Yuen Sheung).

I WAS rather surprised with how Crane ended, though - I really thought Ma Kwan Mo would end up with So Fei Fung at the end - the entire storyline seemed to indicate that way, and her fate seemed to be inextricably linked to his with all the tropes involving the two characters (from the way they met, to the way she thought he killed her father, to the sleeping together...). Strawberry, on the other hand, had death flags hanging all over her head for much of the series, and it was a genuine surprise that she not only didn't die, but got the man at the end. I suppose she was destined to win if she didn't die since Ma really loved her, but she was the perfect plot character to die and break the hero so the heroine could comfort the hero and build a relationship from there.. or maybe I've been watching too much Smiling Proud Wanderer and Linked Cities...
    It was a good ending until Yuan Sheung and FSN chased after Gong Suet and her dad. It was like they could not leave her in peace. CYS was very clingy but FSN was also indecisive. He never gave MGS any closure despite clearly preferring her sister. MGS was the mature one who let go.

MCMN's ending was sort of bland. No one really important died except the villains. Highest recovery/survival rate for parents/shifu of main and supporting wuxia characters ever.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

I was surprised at the ending because I have asked my father (who has listened to the Rediffusion radio drama version) who Ma Kwan Mo will end up with and he told me Bak Wan Fei. So, I was expecting Bak Wan Fei to end up with Ma Kwan Mo all along. Plus, Bak Wan Fei was the most outstanding girl to me in the series.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

If she did not have such an evil mother, she wouldn't have become Bak Wan Fei. She would be just one of the the princesses living in the palace with nothing to do. She wouldn't learn great martial art and travel the world and has so many memorable and character building experiences. So, this life fate gives her works out well for her.
    Wow I never thought about it that way but you are right.

No. He was scheming from the start. Even if Ching Luen return his love, he will turn evil if something else to his benefit comes up to entice him.
    I never thought Cho Hung loved Ching Luen. She was comparatively the best girl that he knew and she treated him with respect and sincerity. I think he liked her and lusted after her, but definitely not love. He was too ambitious and selfish a man to be changed by anything.
    I'm not sure, he kept getting angry saying what does Ma kwan mo has that he does not and why does she only have eyes for kwan mo? Maybe lust or obsession.

But I think you guys are right, he is too ambitious. After all, he killed Lau dan and used his clan as a gift to the evil clan.

I was surprised at the ending because I have asked my father (who has listened to the Rediffusion radio drama version) who Ma Kwan Mo will end up with and he told me Bak Wan Fei. So, I was expecting Bak Wan Fei to end up with Ma Kwan Mo all along. Plus, Bak Wan Fei was the most outstanding girl to me in the series.
    Bak Wan Fei was the most outstanding girl in terms of ability and character coolness, but in terms of relationship-building time she and Lam Siu Tip never really felt like possible options to me. The setting didn't really fit, but maybe it's because I felt that Mak Lai Hung was a bit too mature and old for the role, and Bak Wan Fei looked older than Ma Kwan Mo.

In the beginning of the series, I really thought Mai kwan mo will end up with all four girls some how kind of like hop hak hung.

Interesting comparison btwn fong siu nam and Ma kwan mo. Between the two, ma kwan mo is better. He was nice to everyone as you guys mention and took responsibility. Didn't like fong siu nam, too indecisive and made mu gong suet sad all the time... I thought they were both drunk. As for ma kwan mo, I know he was poisen and was not aware.

Bak Wan Fei was the most outstanding girl in terms of ability and character coolness, but in terms of relationship-building time she and Lam Siu Tip never really felt like possible options to me. The setting didn't really fit, but maybe it's because I felt that Mak Lai Hung was a bit too mature and old for the role, and Bak Wan Fei looked older than Ma Kwan Mo.
    how old was mak lai hung at that time? Late 20s or early 30's?

I just asked someone in Baidu and they said Bak Wan Fei died in the novel!
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    In the beginning of the series, I really thought Mai kwan mo will end up with all four girls some how kind of like hop hak hung.

Interesting comparison btwn fong siu nam and Ma kwan mo. Between the two, ma kwan mo is better. He was nice to everyone as you guys mention and took responsibility. Didn't like fong siu nam, too indecisive and made mu gong suet sad all the time... I thought they were both drunk. As for ma kwan mo, I know he was poisoned and was not aware.
    FSN and MGS were slightly drunk. But he never asked or cared about her after doing the deed, which was unacceptable in the ancient days. MKM was unwilling to participate but at least at the guts to prepare to marry SFF.

I though Mak Lai Hong was exactly 30 when she got the role. She did look older since BWF was supposed to be 18-20 years old, but her acting and overall grace compensated for that. I did find it strange that MKM called her "Bak Jie Jie" though!
    Cyril Connolly

I didn't read the sequel of 'Flying Swallow Startling Dragon' (飛燕驚龍), so, I don't know what happen there. But, in 'New Mythical Crane Magic Needle' (新仙鶴神針), Bak Wan Fei didn't die. Ma Kwan Mo ended up with both Lee Ching Luen and So Fei Fung.

In the book, So Fei Fung didn't lost her virginity to Ma Kwan Mo, but, lost her arm instead. MKM and her dad was in battle and SFF tried to protect her dad, and MKM accidentally chopped off her arm. MKM felt responsible, so, accepted her. Bak Wan Fei felt that two girls is already too crowded in the relationship, so, she left and brought Lam Siu Dip with her.

Note:
    'Flying Swallow Startling Dragon' = 'Mythical Crane Magic Needle'
    'New Mythical Crane Magic Needle' = re-edit version of 'Mythical Crane Magic Needle' with character name change.
    Last edited by kidd; 07-07-15 at 09:45 AM.

I didn't read the sequel of 'Flying Swallow Startling Dragon' (飛燕驚龍), so, I don't know what happen there. But, in 'New Mythical Crane Magic Needle' (新仙鶴神針), Bak Wan Fei didn't die. Ma Kwan Mo ended up with both Lee Ching Luen and So Fei Fung.

In the book, So Fei Fung didn't lost her virginity to Ma Kwan Mo, but, lost her arm instead. MKM and her dad was in battle and SFF tried to protect her dad, and MKM accidentally chopped off her arm. MKM felt responsible, so, accepted her. Bak Wan Fei felt that two girls is already too crowded in the relationship, so, she left and brought Lam Siu Dip with her.

Note:
    'Flying Swallow Startling Dragon' = 'Mythical Crane Magic Needle'
    'New Mythical Crane Magic Needle' = re-edit version of 'Mythical Crane Magic Needle' with character name change.
    Hmmmm. Seems like ATV butchered Wo Long Sheng's "Xian He Shen Zhen" as well as "Jiang Xue Xuan Shuang".
    Cyril Connolly

Hmmmm. Seems like ATV butchered Wo Long Sheng's "Xian He Shen Zhen" as well as "Jiang Xue Xuan Shuang".
    I think the butchering improve 'Mythical Crane Magic Needle'. The 'New Mythical Crane Magic Needle' (新仙鶴神針) that I read is kinda disappointing. Some happenings are not explained. How this and that characters know the info they knew is also not explained. Lee Ching Luen's parents' murder plot was not explored. There was mentioned of it by her sifu, but, she herself knew nothing about it. At the end, her parents murderer was killed by someone else. Eric's Kingdom's and Mark's character were not in the book. Yuk Siu Sin Ji loves Ma Kwan Mo instead of Bak Wan Fei/Kam Ying Hung. I don't remember Princess Wan Lo was in the book or not. I don't think so. It's another girl from KunLun Sect who was in love with Cho Hung and used by him. Another girl who was Bak Wan Fei's friend was also cut out from the series.

The series Mythical Crane expanded on the underdeveloped subplots and add new ones which improve on it. Some characters like So Fei Fung was also made richer.

After reading 新仙鶴神針, I don't understand why Bak Wan Fei is the most popular female character among Wo Long Sheng readers. So, if I have the chance, I plan on reading 'Fei Yan Jing Long'. There must be something in it that make it the most acclaimed WLS's novel. Maybe the new edition was badly edited.

Btw, Lee Ching Leun act like a 12 year old in the novel and Ma Kwan Mo's personality was so bland that I don't get why all the girls fell in love on him except for his good looks (yes, it was mentioned in the book that he was good-looking).
    Last edited by kidd; 07-09-15 at 07:04 AM.

no!!!!!!!!!!! =(

FSN and MGS were slightly drunk. But he never asked or cared about her after doing the deed, which was unacceptable in the ancient days. MKM was unwilling to participate but at least at the guts to prepare to marry SFF.

I though Mak Lai Hong was exactly 30 when she got the role. She did look older since BWF was supposed to be 18-20 years old, but her acting and overall grace compensated for that. I did find it strange that MKM called her "Bak Jie Jie" though!
    I thought maybe he called her bak jie jie because maybe she was more wise and when he was recovering at her place, he kind of learn some of her martial arts. But maybe it could be that she is older than mkm. Kind of like Savio and Bonnie, he kept calling her lian jie jie, I think bonnie was older than savior... not sure

I think the butchering improve 'Mythical Crane Magic Needle'. The 'New Mythical Crane Magic Needle' (新仙鶴神針) that I read is kinda disappointing. Some happenings are not explained. How this and that characters know the info they knew is also not explained. Lee Ching Luen's parents' murder plot was not explored. There was mentioned of it by her sifu, but, she herself knew nothing about it. At the end, her parents murderer was killed by someone else. Eric's Kingdom's and Mark's character were not in the book. Yuk Siu Sin Ji loves Ma Kwan Mo instead of Bak Wan Fei/Kam Ying Hung. I don't remember Princess Wan Lo was in the book or not. I don't think so. It's another girl from KunLun Sect who was in love with Cho Hung and used by her. Another girl who was Bak Wan Fei's friend was also cut out from the series.

The series Mythical Crane expanded on the underdeveloped subplots and add new ones which improve on it. Some characters like So Fei Fung was also made richer.

After reading 新仙鶴神針, I don't understand why Bak Wan Fei is the most popular female character among Wo Long Sheng readers. So, if I have the chance, I plan on reading 'Fei Yan Jing Long'. There must be something in it that make it the most acclaimed WLS's novel. Maybe the new edition was badly edited.

Btw, Lee Ching Leun act like a 12 year old in the novel and Ma Kwan Mo's personality was so bland that I don't get why all the girls fell in love on him except for his good looks (yes, it was mentioned in the book that he was good-looking).
    The last thing we need is more girls after Ma Kwan Mo! I hate harems!
    Cyril Connolly

The last thing we need is more girls after Ma Kwan Mo! I hate harems!
    Girls who are in love with Ma Kwan Mo in the novel: :P

Lee Ching Luen (李青鸞)
    So Fei Fung (蘇飛鳳)
    Bak Wan Fei (白雲飛)
    Yuk Siu Sin Ji (玉簫仙子)
    Jiu Yuet Fun (Bak Wan Fei's friend) (招月芬)
    Lam Siu Dip (藍小蝶)

Btw, do you notice that 5 out of 6 girls can fly?

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    I thought maybe he called her bak jie jie because maybe she was more wise and when he was recovering at her place, he kind of learn some of her martial arts. But maybe it could be that she is older than mkm. Kind of like Savio and Bonnie, he kept calling her lian jie jie, I think bonnie was older than savior... not sure
    Lin Ngai Seung is indeed older than Cheuk Yat Hong. But, Bak Wan Fei is younger than Ma Kwan Mo. My postulation is that he just change 'hing' to 'jie jie'. Before he found out she's a girl, he called her 'bak hing'.

Girls who are in love with Ma Kwan Mo in the novel: :P

Lee Ching Luen (李青鸞)
    So Fei Fung (蘇飛鳳)
    Bak Wan Fei (白雲飛)
    Yuk Siu Sin Ji (玉簫仙子)
    Jiu Yuet Fun (Bak Wan Fei's friend) (招月芬)
    Lam Siu Dip (藍小蝶)

Btw, do you notice that 5 out of 6 girls can fly?
    So what is the difference between "Magic Crane" and "New Magic Crane"? I loved the Anita Mui movie but it seemed to follow a siilar yet deviant storyline from the series. I wonder why there are two versions?
    Cyril Connolly